PDA

View Full Version : King George Commands and We Obey, Over the Hills and Far Away

Lord Iames Osari
2007-07-17, 10:25 PM
Just wondering if there are any other fans of the Sharpe's [Whatever] series here in the Playground.

Duke Malagigi
2007-07-17, 11:35 PM
Count me in Osari.

GenericFighter
2007-07-17, 11:39 PM
I love those books! Great characters, great stories, great writing. It's especially enjoyable to see Cornwell's writing getting better and better over the three decades he's been writing them. Plus, there are very few villains better than Obadiah Hakeswell (or Napolean, I suppose).

His Warlords chronicles and Grail trilogy make all the edgy, gritty fantasy series that have become so popular lately look like amatuerish junk.

Rob Knotts
2007-07-18, 12:06 AM
My only exposure to Sharpe has been the BBC (?) features with Sean Bean. Great stuff!

Flakey
2007-07-18, 06:08 AM
I love Sharpe, both books and BBC tv films about him. I judge the books better, but Sharpe is one of the few instances where people have made the transition to the screen without ruining the books.

Having Sean Bean play Sharpe was an inspired choice, especially when he was still a relatively minor actor at the time. He brought a grit and realism to a visual Sharpe that could have easily been ruined by another actor.

As a side issue how many liked the end chapter where he writes about the real events and what the terrain looks like now. That he did the research and travel to do these books, shows a love that comes through the books?

Capt'n Ironbrow
2007-07-18, 06:29 AM
count me in too, a brilliant series.
I especially liked the "named" greenjackets, Harris, Hackman and Harper.

what's the reason behind the predominance of names strating with an H?

Ooh, and I once saw the table-top fantasy game called Flintloque. The box-set included six orc riflemen named Sharke, Harpy (multi-barreled gun), Purrkinz, Hagsmun, Arris and Tunge. they were up against 10 Elf voltigeurs.

Mr the Geoff
2007-07-18, 06:46 AM
I caught the series first back when it first came out then went and bought the books. Both are good, though I prefer the books, simply because I like reading.

The TV series is currently being repeated on UKTV History too I recently discovered, so I've been watching them again quite a bit of late (handy as my videotapes disappeared somewhere over the last 3 house moves, and I don't own a vcr to play them on any more anyway).

Watching the tv programmes first made it a little odd however when I read the books and found out that Sharpe was a Londoner, as I always imagine him with Sean Bean's thick northern accent.

As an aside a lot of Bernard Cornwell's other historical books are worth a look, especially the 4 based around the American Civil War.

which feature a minor recurring character who turns out to be Sharpe's son

Corvus
2007-07-18, 07:57 PM
I'm a massive fan on the books and quite liked the TV show as well.

Caught the recent Sharpe's Challenge show on TV earlier this year and decided to read the books - ended up going throught them all in less than a month. Managed 2 in one day once.

Just need to get a hold of the most recent book (Sharpe's Fury) and the DVD with the last 3 episodes and I'm done collecting it.

The Orange Zergling
2007-07-20, 02:52 AM
I sort of am. My mother is real into it, though. The TV series, I mean. I don't know her opinions on the books, and I've never read them.

bosssmiley
2007-07-21, 06:02 AM
Richard Sharpe: a character so awesome that Sean Bean can play him without having to betray anyone. And Hugh Fraser plays a great Wellington. :smallcool:

Also: John Tams (Hagman) is geekish folksy roxxorz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_the_Hills_%26_Far_Away:_The_Music_of_Sharpe)!

H. Zee
2007-12-01, 03:35 AM
Sadly, I haven't gotten around to reading any of the books yet, but I know for a fact that the Sharpe TV series is fudgin' brilliant. Epic in every sense of the word. I don't think I've ever cared more about 4 characters in a TV series than I have about Sharpe, Harper, Hagman and Harris.

Sharpe is one of the only TV shows I can watch over and over again, and enjoy them as much each time as when I first watched them. All I can say is, if you haven't watched it yet, DO SO.

CrazedGoblin
2007-12-01, 04:51 AM
ive seen bits when other people in my family are watching, it looks really good but i just cant find the time to watch it though :smallsmile:

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-01, 04:52 AM
Over the Hills on Youtube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v0mlYtIlwE)

Man, I love this song. :smallsmile: