PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Crushing Skulls in Shelyn’s Name

Palanan
2016-12-31, 10:19 AM
I have a player who wanted to run an inquisitor of Shelyn, and while I wasn’t quite sure how that would work, I didn’t see any reason to disallow it. The campaign is set in a homebrew world, but I haven’t fleshed out the native pantheon yet, so I’m using the default Pathfinder deities in the meanwhile—on the theory that they’re code-sharing across multiple worlds.

The PCs are still at first level, but I’m really beginning to wonder at the player’s choice of Shelyn, of all deities, for his divine patron. He describes his character as “chaotic good,” but so far he’s played the inquisitor as Chaotic Prickly with frequent recourse to Chaotic Stab ’n’ Grab.

In our last session, he finished off an unarmed, unconscious prisoner with a messy blow to the head. This may fit the overall theme of the inquisitor class, especially the part about answering “to their deity and their own sense of justice alone” (APG p. 38)—but the fact is killing a helpless prisoner isn’t what I’d consider a good act.

More importantly, I can’t see that Shelyn would consider it acceptable, given that she specifically encourages her followers to see beauty and the potential for goodness in every living creature. The player never mentions this or any other aspect of Shelyn’s philosophy, and I’m not sure what the motivation is for choosing this particular goddess, in or out of character.

I’m planning to ask him about this, but I’m not all that familiar with the Pathfinder pantheon and I’d appreciate suggestions for other patrons which might be a better fit for the character’s behavior. The PCs are still first level, and the inquisitor certainly hasn’t made spreading love a personal priority, so I’m willing to retcon a change in patron if someone can suggest a better alternative.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-31, 10:35 AM
Without there being a justification for that death relative to Shelyn's portfolio, such as that prisoner had destroyed major cultural artifacts which cannot be repaired, or perhaps being a rapist, this doesn't seem like a very devoted follower of Shelyn. If this is the sort of behavior the player wishes to portray Calistria (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Calistria) seems like a better patron.

Psyren
2016-12-31, 03:18 PM
For smashing heads in I'd suggest Gorum. There's also a host of minor deities and other beings that can be patrons.

Calistria... isn't a bad suggestion, but she tends to favor a bit more subtlety than that. "Accidentally" poisoning such a prisoner to death or letting them bleed out might be more her style.

legomaster00156
2016-12-31, 03:25 PM
Seconding Gorum. Smashing heads in is exactly what he specializes in. That said, it's good to remember that even he has honor of a sort: he dislikes when followers kick an enemy while they're down, for instance. Gorumites live for the battle, and if there is no battle, there is no victory.

Palanan
2016-12-31, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by KillingAScarab
Without there being a justification for that death relative to Shelyn's portfolio, such as that prisoner had destroyed major cultural artifacts which cannot be repaired, or perhaps being a rapist, this doesn't seem like a very devoted follower of Shelyn. If this is the sort of behavior the player wishes to portray Calistria seems like a better patron.

I appreciate the suggestion, and I’ll mention it to the player.

Not quite a perfect fit, and I’m not sure what an inquisitor of Calistria would be punishing, but the vindictive aspect certainly matches nicely.

Originally Posted by legomaster00156
Seconding Gorum. Smashing heads in is exactly what he specializes in. That said, it's good to remember that even he has honor of a sort: he dislikes when followers kick an enemy while they're down….

Well, this was right after a small tactical combat, and the smashee had just been trying to perforate the inquisitor with arrows.

But he was alive, unarmed, and by that point no threat whatsoever. I get the feeling that Gorum wouldn’t quite approve either.

Originally Posted by Psyren
"Accidentally”…letting them bleed out might be more her style.

Our party rogue has this one covered.

:smallsigh:

legomaster00156
2016-12-31, 03:39 PM
Well, Gorum wouldn't approve highly, but I don't think he'd disapprove either. Whether prisoners are taken or not after the battle is not something he really cares about.

Palanan
2016-12-31, 03:48 PM
Interesting, thanks.

Does Gorum disapprove of armed raiders slaughtering unarmed villagers? If so, that would fit with the two lines of backstory I received for the character.

legomaster00156
2016-12-31, 03:55 PM
Yes, he would. There is no honor nor victory in slaughtering helpless opponents. If they fight back, though, even if it's with picks or fists, then the battle is legitimate.

Coidzor
2016-12-31, 10:40 PM
In our last session, he finished off an unarmed, unconscious prisoner with a messy blow to the head. This may fit the overall theme of the inquisitor class, especially the part about answering “to their deity and their own sense of justice alone” (APG p. 38)—but the fact is killing a helpless prisoner isn’t what I’d consider a good act.

Course not. Most acts are neutral, after all.

More importantly, I can’t see that Shelyn would consider it acceptable, given that she specifically encourages her followers to see beauty and the potential for goodness in every living creature. The player never mentions this or any other aspect of Shelyn’s philosophy, and I’m not sure what the motivation is for choosing this particular goddess, in or out of character.

I’m planning to ask him about this, but I’m not all that familiar with the Pathfinder pantheon and I’d appreciate suggestions for other patrons which might be a better fit for the character’s behavior. The PCs are still first level, and the inquisitor certainly hasn’t made spreading love a personal priority, so I’m willing to retcon a change in patron if someone can suggest a better alternative.

Well, Iomedae is all about smiting. Cayden Cailean doesn't seem to particularly care about trying to redeem defeated foes, so giving downed foes the ol' misericorde should be fine by him. Depending upon the greater context, Abadar might at least want an impromptu trial if out in the wilderness and dealing with bandits outside of any legal jurisdiction before handing out any summary executions.

Psyren
2017-01-01, 05:11 PM
Well, Iomedae is all about smiting. Cayden Cailean doesn't seem to particularly care about trying to redeem defeated foes, so giving downed foes the ol' misericorde should be fine by him. Depending upon the greater context, Abadar might at least want an impromptu trial if out in the wilderness and dealing with bandits outside of any legal jurisdiction before handing out any summary executions.

There's a clear difference between "defeated foes" and "unarmed, defenseless prisoners" though.

Coidzor
2017-01-01, 11:00 PM
There's a clear difference between "defeated foes" and "unarmed, defenseless prisoners" though.

Bothering to process them after combat instead of summarily executing them, yes.