PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladin/Warlock levelling

Lucid
2016-12-31, 11:19 AM
Currently playing an Oath of the Ancients Paladin 6/Fey Tomelock 3.
I know my next level will be Paladin 7 for aura of warding, but I'm unsure how to continue after that, also when it comes to feat choices.

Ability scores are Str 15, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 20
He wields a quarterstaff (with shillelagh for Cha instead of Str) and a shield.
ASI's are based on character level rather than class.
I'm mostly looking at the following feats, Mounted Combatant, Polearm Master, or Resilient (Con).

I'm looking for advice on what combination of levels to work towards, as well as which feat you'd think be most beneficial.

Thanks in advance!

RedGeomancer
2016-12-31, 02:11 PM
Since you're getting ASIs based on character level, there is nothing to recommend P8/W12 or P12/W8. Frankly, even if that weren't the case, I would sacrifice an ASI for one of the options detailed below.

P7/W13 - This is a possibility if you really want 7th level Mystic Arcanum. Considering that you will not stop at P8/W12 (see above), I don't think 7th level Mystic Arcanum is worth giving up the benefits of Paladin 9.

P9/W11 - Gets you 3rd level spell slots from Paladin, makes up for Warlock's chief weakness of lack of low-level spell slots. And remember for Divine Smite to be really useful, you need more slots of all levels, not just more powerful slots. Gets access to some damned handy 3rd level Warlock spells (Dispel Magic, Magic Circle, Remove Curse) without blowing a Warlock spell known, as well as useful Paladin spells like Revivify. From Warlock, this gets you 6th level Mystic Arcanum and is the level that gets your third 5th level spell slot that refreshes on a short rest.

P10/W10 - Give up 6th level Mystic Arcanum and one 5th level spell slot for Aura of Courage. Aura of Courage is highly regarded, but I'm not sure that it's worth this cost. Consider that you can accomplish the same thing with the Heroism spell. Kind of a judgment call.

P11/W9 - Give up Beguiling Defenses for Improved Divine Smite. This is almost definitely worth it in most campaigns. Might depend on how often your DM throws charm effects at you.

P13+ - I don't recommend going on beyond P11. It's more efficient to get 4th or 5th level spell slots from Warlock than from P13 or P17. Cleansing Touch (P14) is great, but not worth giving up three levels of Warlock (considering I am arguing you shouldn't stop at P12 or P13). Undying Sentinel (P15) is unimpressive. P16 is an ASI which you don't need. Not considering P18+ since you already have W3.

In summary, P9/W11 and P11/W9 are both strong builds. Although I suspect most players would disagree with me, I prefer them to P8/W12 or P12/W8 even if you have to sacrifice an ASI, but especially since you don't have to worry about ASI breaks because of your DMs ASI rules. P10/W10 is probably inferior, but some players might like having a character who is completely immune to both charms and frightening.

Theodoxus
2016-12-31, 04:37 PM
In summary, P9/W11 and P11/W9 are both strong builds. Although I suspect most players would disagree with me, I prefer them to P8/W12 or P12/W8 even if you have to sacrifice an ASI, but especially since you don't have to worry about ASI breaks because of your DMs ASI rules. P10/W10 is probably inferior, but some players might like having a character who is completely immune to both charms and frightening.

I agree wholeheartedly. The only nitpick I have, is in a standard game, going 11/9 is sacrificing two ASI, not one. However, if it's a rolled stat game, and you rolled well, two ASI probably won't matter... but given the peculiarities of the specific game, yeah, doesn't matter any way.

As for feats - Couple of mentionables. Some DMs frown on Polearm Master getting the bonus attack with a staff while using it one handed (I'm one - extra damage (and calling yourself a polearm master) should come at a little bit of a cost. 2 AC sounds about right...) Second, if you envision the character as a knight on a horse, by all means, grab Mounted Combatant - it's a great feat. My only word of caution is a lot of times, a horse isn't feasible. If you're playing sandboxy kingdom building type of game, where you're meeting foes on the field of battle, it's perfect. If instead, you're crawling through half-sunken temples and moldy dungeons looking for primo loot... less so.

I get the appeal of Resilient Con - and with your 15, it's doubly appealing - so there's no harm in picking it up, but you might want to also consider (as an alternative, or an addition) - War Caster. All of its features would be good for your build...

RedGeomancer
2017-01-01, 02:18 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. The only nitpick I have, is in a standard game, going 11/9 is sacrificing two ASI, not one.

Not sure how you figure that. Most classes, including Paladin and Warlock, get ASIs at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, for five total. The 12/8 build gets all five, while the 11/9 build gets the 4th and 8th level ASIs from each class, for four total, one less than the full progression. Unless you start triple-classing, it's not even possible to lose two ASIs.

Citan
2017-01-01, 06:16 PM
I know my next level will be Paladin 7 for aura of warding, but I'm unsure how to continue after that, also when it comes to feat choices.

I'm mostly looking at the following feats, Mounted Combatant, Polearm Master, or Resilient (Con).

I'm looking for advice on what combination of levels to work towards, as well as which feat you'd think be most beneficial.

Thanks in advance!
Hi!

Frankly, with those awesome stats, there are several ways to go...

1. Stay dual-class:
Then choose your end build depending on the following...
- Are you using Extra Attack mainly? Then go Paladin up to 11: Elemental Weapon + Improved Divine Smite will be very worth it. Additionally, Shield Master feat could be a nice touch.
- Are you already using your Concentration regularly? If not, go up to Warlock Fey 7: Greater Invisibility will be an extremely good buff on you. And you get all rituals potentially.
Note that both are achievable within the same end build, you would still have 2 levels.
AND these two levels would give you access to Paladin's 4th level spells, including Ancients ones.
On the other hand of course, Warlock 9th gives some nice control 5th level spells.

I'm still partial on the 13 / 7 split though, because of the perfect synergy between Paladin's great 4th level spells and Warlock's short-rest slots.

2. Tri-class
Pick 3 levels in Lore Bard for Expertise, which would combine nicely with Shield Master to give you great Shove power over your enemies. Or even go 6 for short-rest Bardic Inspiration, and some nice spells to use (perfect with Warlock 5): Conjure Animals, Counterspell, Elemental Weapon (in case you don't get it as Paladin), Haste, Slow, etc...
The Paladin 11 / Lore Bard 6 / Warlock 3 is a great end build. ;)

Pick 6 levels in Draconic Sorcerer (fire) if you favor playing with spells instead of just smiting and/or if your main attack is Green Flame Blade. You will deal much more damage every turn.

Pick 7 levels of Totem Barbarian if you rarely cast spells but rather blow everything on smiting.
Pick Shield Master to go along with: you will be an absolute beast on Shoving, deal that much extra damage, and be insanely tanky. Along with a nice initiative boost.
Drawback is that you have to plan nicely the Shillelagh pre-cast.
If you want to actually maximize the shoving on such a basis, the best would be
Paladin 11 / Warlock 3 / Bear Barbarian 3 / Lore Bard 3 : consistent bonus action shoving (Shield Master) with advantage (Barb raging) stacked on Expertise (Bard).

As for feats, well you have several good choices: Shield Master as told, but also Inspiring Leader, Mage Slayer.
If you mainly use weapon cantrips, Warcaster is a better choice than Resilient: Constitution because it improves concentration while giving additional benefits.

Also, don't worry about efficiency: with your stats and current build, there is no "bad" choice, only choices ranging from "very good" to "best". So choose with your gut first. ;)

Have fun!

Davemeddlehed
2017-01-01, 08:46 PM

Thanks in advance!

I would probably roll Resilient since it'll benefit you the most. Give you another save proficiency, as well as another 10hp.