PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ultimate familiar infiltration: now what?

Erberor
2017-01-01, 04:12 AM
Alright, so at the last meeting the party encountered the BBEG, a construct wizard. Now, we were probably supposed to let him teleport away, but I wanted answers and counterspelled him. Me and the Eldritch Knight proceeded to wipe the floor with a wizard probably 3-5 levels higher than us for a couple rounds by rolling really well (saved against polymorph and confusion, among other things). He eventually got away, but not before I noticed a hole in his exterior...And threw my familiar into it.

With permission from the DM, my familiar is in fact a small construct. As such, when the tiny mites that were automatically repairing the BBEG got to it, I was able to use minor illusion (and a natural twenty) to effectively convince them that my familiar was supposed to be there.

And the guy doesn't know it's there either.

So, I now have a 100 foot radius radar on the big bad and the capacity to deliver touch spells to him whenever we fight again that will pretty much automatically hit, among other things

The big question is...How do I exploit this for all it's worth? What spells can I use to properly mess him up? At present time, I'm a sixth level abjuration wizard, but we're leveling up to 7 for the next meeting. My cantrips are Ray of Frost, Prestidigitation, minor illusion and Mage hand, so there's not much there as near as I can tell.

Any ideas?

Solunaris
2017-01-01, 04:22 AM
From what you've told me, Bestow Curse might be the greatest spell you have at your disposal here. Depending on how creative you are with the spell, you could seriously handicap his spellcasting (like a curse to lower his spellcasting DC) or perhaps a decrease to his AC.

If you go this route, ask your DM beforehand about how free they'll let you be with coming up with effects.

MrFahrenheit
2017-01-01, 07:19 AM
The biggest advantage here is an OOC one. With the familiar in place, you shouldn't be surprised about any plot twists or adventure-changing decisions/actions the BBEG makes.

Fishyninja
2017-01-01, 08:12 AM
If you have Forbiddance that could be handy, especially if the portal is still open

Forbiddance
Ward prevents magical travel up to 40,000 square ft of floor, 30 ft high above floor. Prevents Teleport and portals, planar travel. Can damage outsider and undead of choice 5d10 radiant or necrotic (choice when cast). Password is desginated, when spoken on entry ignore damage. Cast every day for 30 days becomes permanent until dispelled.

The biggest advantage here is an OOC one. With the familiar in place, you shouldn't be surprised about any plot twists or adventure-changing decisions/actions the BBEG makes.

*Raises hand* OOC?

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-01-01, 08:23 AM
*Raises hand* OOC?

It means Out of Character, but the use here seems wrong. Your characters being informed about what the enemy is doing via their own intelligence activities is surely an In Character advantage.

...Come to think of it, perhaps he meant Out of Combat?

MrFahrenheit
2017-01-01, 09:35 AM
It means Out of Character, but the use here seems wrong. Your characters being informed about what the enemy is doing via their own intelligence activities is surely an In Character advantage.

...Come to think of it, perhaps he meant Out of Combat?

Yes, out of combat. I've seen the acronym mean both actually...

Erberor
2017-01-01, 04:12 PM
Alright, thank you! This is a lot of good stuff. I'll definitely be getting bestow curse into my spellbook at the next opportunity. Forbiddance I'm a little less certain about because of the ten minute casting time and how it affects an area, along with only really saying that you can't teleport into an area, so escapes would be possible. Still, thanks for bringing it up, as that could be useful given that we have some hostile devils working for Vecna with an express interest in messing up our day.

With regard to out of combat stuff, you're absolutely right. In fact, I had the idea that while the BBEG might have some serious anti-scrying protection, my familiar doesn't, so I might be able to at least figure out his location at any given time.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking forward to completely screwing this guy over in our next battle.