PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is there a way to get Fly as a Class Skill for Vigilantes?

Madokar
2017-01-01, 11:22 AM
I'm going to start playing in a Strange Aeons AP this month, and I'm going in on a Falconine Wildsoul Vigilante. Thing is, Vigilante doesn't have Fly as one of it's Class Skills. So I'm wondering if there is a trait or something that will allow me to get Fly as a Class Skill. Anybody have any suggestions?

Linken
2017-01-01, 11:43 AM
Maybe just ask your DM? I put in Fly as a class skill sometimes for races with wings, so.

Tuvarkz
2017-01-01, 11:49 AM
No need for it:
From pfsrd (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/fly)

Fly Speed Creatures with a fly speed treat the Fly skill as a class skill. A creature with a natural fly speed receives a bonus (or penalty) on Fly skill checks depending on its maneuverability. Creatures without a maneuverability rating are assumed to have average maneuverability and take no penalty on Fly checks.
If your character has a fly speed, the character treats Fly as a class skill regardless of class-aka you get it as class skill the moment you get a fly speed.

Madokar
2017-01-01, 01:35 PM
No need for it:
From pfsrd (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/fly)

If your character has a fly speed, the character treats Fly as a class skill regardless of class-aka you get it as class skill the moment you get a fly speed.

I always love it when I learn some little obscure rule I didn't know about before. I consider it part of the fun. Thanks for your help.

Muggins
2017-01-01, 02:45 PM
Getting the Fly skill in Pathfinder is pretty weird, bordering on outright stupid. You can have it as a class skill even if you don't have a fly speed, but can't put ranks in it until you do. And if you get a fly speed, you get the Fly skill as a class skill automatically, so there's no point in any class having it as a class skill in the first place.

It feels like a rule that slipped past playtesting and hasn't been bugfixed yet.

Slithery D
2017-01-01, 11:26 PM
Getting the Fly skill in Pathfinder is pretty weird, bordering on outright stupid. You can have it as a class skill even if you don't have a fly speed, but can't put ranks in it until you do. And if you get a fly speed, you get the Fly skill as a class skill automatically, so there's no point in any class having it as a class skill in the first place.

It feels like a rule that slipped past playtesting and hasn't been bugfixed yet.

"Creatures with a fly speed" doesn't seem to apply to casters who have access to temporary magical flight rather than a permanent fly speed listed in their stat block. So casters with access to fly spells would still benefit from having it explicitly listed as a class skill.

Muggins
2017-01-01, 11:42 PM
"Creatures with a fly speed" doesn't seem to apply to casters who have access to temporary magical flight rather than a permanent fly speed listed in their stat block. So casters with access to fly spells would still benefit from having it explicitly listed as a class skill.
Check again.

Creatures can also take ranks in Fly if they possess a reliable means of flying every day (either through a spell or other special ability).
So, again, having it as a class skill from your class is pointless, because you automatically gain it as soon as you learn to cast the Fly spell (or any other spell which could give you flight).

Slithery D
2017-01-02, 12:45 AM
But that quote agrees with me? Creatures that have a reliable spell means of flying can put ranks into the skill. But they don't get it as a class skill. (Those with appropriate spellcasting class levels, however, do.) Creatures that have an actual fly speed in their stat block from a permanent means do get it as a class skill.

Muggins
2017-01-02, 01:12 AM
But that quote agrees with me? Creatures that have a reliable spell means of flying can put ranks into the skill. But they don't get it as a class skill. (Those with appropriate spellcasting class levels, however, do.) Creatures that have an actual fly speed in their stat block from a permanent means do get it as a class skill.
The condition for obtaining it as a class skill is to have a fly speed; Fly gives you a fly speed, as does any other method of flight. That's how the mechanic works. Ergo, giving anyone Fly as a class skill if they can't yet fly (e.g. level 1 sorcerers) doesn't do anything, since they just get it later when they can anyway.

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-01-02, 01:43 AM
I would rule that as a creature only gets the fly skill when it's a natural, usually constant ability. Class features besides spells I would count.