PDA

View Full Version : Wish

Godshoe
2017-01-01, 12:54 PM
Hello everyone!
Our DM gave for ours party one Wish spell as an New Year present. Maybe you can find some interesting solutions, for which it can be spent?
Something unusual, portable, case we now in Ravenloft (please without spoilers) and we'll leave it soon.
We now just 6th lvl party, so mostly effects of Wish in description be a waste (imo). Exept resistance, I guess. Do I understand correctly that the resistance does not expire and will be permanent?
So, I think, we need anything outside of the specific examples.

JNAProductions
2017-01-01, 01:44 PM
Hello everyone!
Our DM gave for ours party one Wish spell as an New Year present. Maybe you can find some interesting solutions, for which it can be spent?
Something unusual, portable, case we now in Ravenloft (please without spoilers) and we'll leave it soon.
We now just 6th lvl party, so mostly effects of Wish in description be a waste (imo). Exept resistance, I guess. Do I understand correctly that the resistance does not expire and will be permanent?

Ask for a good magic item. Like maybe a Tome or Manual.

Resistance is a good one.

Maybe try to finagle your way into a free feat?

Addaran
2017-01-01, 01:45 PM
Hello everyone!

In Ravenloft? Wish for the safety of your souls in case of death/transformation/etc. So they go back in your native world normal afterlife.
Seems like that's the biggest danger of the place. =O

Fishyninja
2017-01-01, 02:52 PM
Ask for a good magic item. Like maybe a Tome or Manual.

Resistance is a good one.

Maybe try to finagle your way into a free feat?

I'd go Reistance against Magic if possible.

Also I'd go for a free feat. Good way to compliment to character without wasting an ASI.

DragonSorcererX
2017-01-01, 05:01 PM
Hello everyone!

Free Clone! Free Clone! Free Clone!

Âmesang
2017-01-01, 10:15 PM
1: Wish for the Bringer of Doom.
2: Press the circular red gemstone set upon it.
3: Enjoy the fireworks. :smallcool:

Godshoe
2017-01-01, 11:13 PM
We seriously think about what could have been a good influence on the story. But you should never throw away the material side)

The thing is that we were given one Wish at all party, not for each character. So what magic item like Tome of stat+ does not fit.
Maybe there's some interesting magic item that could all party use in turn?

The idea of feat - good. It can be beat as: "We want success was accompanied by us!" and get Lucky feat. And all that sort of thing, nice.

Free Clone may be real good for secure of tank or glass cannon, yeah.

In Ravenloft? Wish for the safety of your souls in case of death/transformation/etc. So they go back in your native world normal afterlife.
Perhaps, in a broader sense, to protect us from the influence of local power - the most sensible solution. Great point! I like this line of thought.

Seems like that's the biggest danger of the place. =O
Oh, lol. If so) Everything would be much easier.

1: Wish for the Bringer of Doom.
2: Press the circular red gemstone set upon it.
3: Enjoy the fireworks. :smallcool:
Not sure if understand what you're talking about oO

Fishyninja
2017-01-02, 12:37 AM
We seriously think about what could have been a good influence on the story. But you should never throw away the material side)

The thing is that we were given one Wish at all party, not for each character. So what magic item like Tome of stat+ does not fit.
Maybe there's some interesting magic item that could all party use in turn?

The Instant Fortress might be good

This metal cube is small, but when activated by speaking a command word it grows to form a tower 20 feet square and 30 feet high, with arrow slits on all sides and a crenellated battlement atop it. The metal walls extend 10 feet into the ground, rooting it to the spot and preventing it from being tipped over. The fortress has a small door that opens only at the command of the owner of the fortress—even knock spells can’t open the door.

The adamantine walls of instant fortress have 100 hit points and hardness 20. The fortress cannot be repaired except by a wish or a miracle, which restores 50 points of damage taken.

The fortress springs up in just 1 round, with the door facing the device’s owner. The door opens and closes instantly at his command. People and creatures nearby (except the owner) must be careful not to be caught by the fortress’s sudden growth. Anyone so caught takes 10d10 points of damage (Reflex DC 19 half ).

The fortress is deactivated by speaking a command word (different from the one used to activate it). It cannot be deactivated unless it is empty.

Strong conjuration; CL 13th; Craft Wondrous Item, mage’s magnificent mansion; Price 55,000 gp.

Theodoxus
2017-01-02, 03:41 PM
I did that through a Deck of Many Things. Party was 7th level. The party fighter took the deck and started yanking cards. His second card granted a wish. He wished to be known throughout the world (he was playing a bit of a narcissist, superhero complex). That was easily granted. He got a second wish and wished for a massive 300' tall statue of himself in Waterdeep Bay. So, not only was he known the world over, but there was this massive effigy of him in the biggest city in the world...

That second wish, I felt would backfire, giving him the downsides of a too powerful wish. So, he was wheeled away from the council chamber with the throngs of witnesses shouting his name in adulation. He retired the character (to go on a world tour, naturally), but every game session afterwards, I always made sure the party had at least heard mention of the Crimson Scourge... good times.

No one wanted to touch the Wish spell in any incarnation from that point forward, however.

Âmesang
2017-01-03, 12:38 PM
Not sure if understand what you're talking about oO
Twas a reference to an artifact from 2nd Edition. :smallbiggrin:
The Bringer of Doom

So distant in the past is the Age of Doom that it cannot even be conceived of by mortals. This was a time of great lamenting, for the beings of that age had discovered magic and sciences too powerful to handle. Their passions overcame their sense and, in a wave of power, the race destroyed itself, leaving behind no remnant, save one.

https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/indent.gifThe Bringer of Doom is a small box with a strange, circular red gem set in its lid. If the gem is touched and depressed, the box itself explodes in a blinding flash. So great is the force of the blast that everything within 100' (including the user and the item itself) is destroyed utterly.

https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/indent.gifThe explosion opens a temporary one-way rift to the Gray Waste of Hades from which 100d10 hordlings pour forth and destroy everything they encounter. Rarely (10% chance) some other, greater fiend comes through the rift as well. The Bringer of Doom always reforms, to be discovered some time later.

https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/indent.gifOne account of the Bringer comes from a scrap of parchment found in the Desert of Yin, near the blasted tower of the evil mage Althabazzerid:

https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/indent.gif"We have set up magical circles of protection, but we don't know how long we can keep them up. I hope that my observations may be of help to my fellow researchers of the Mages' Guild of MakBran. The assault against the black tower went well, the elven archers easily destroying Althabazzerid's undead army while we dealt with his dragon allies. We had closed in and were in the midst of magical combat when Althabazzerid himself appeared on the tower's battlements, protected by a multicolored sphere of light. He raised a small box in his left hand, and perhaps pressed a button on it—hard to tell from our vantage point."

https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/indent.gif"At once there was a deafening blast, and the wizard and his tower were destroyed. A huge hole in space opened, and we could see into the dismal spaces of the Gray Wastes. A great crowd of horrid beings—a more fantastic mix of humans, beasts, and fiends cannot be imagined—began moving into our world. Some walked, some hopped, some dragged their deformed bodies along. They gibbered and screamed. Some spat fire, or gas, or acid. Some were horned, others bore tentacles. More and more came, destroying the elves by sheer press of numbers. They attacked without plan or strategy, yet their horrid deformations allowed them many advantages."

https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/indent.gif"Then a great fiend flew out from the darkened sky of the Gray Wastes. It has assaulted unceasingly since then. Soon our magics will fail, and we will die either at the hands of the fiend or the press of the horde of darkness…"

— PLANESCAPE™ Monstrous Compendium Appendix, p.55

Asmotherion
2017-01-03, 01:34 PM
From you saying thay you are in Ravenloft and are going to leave soon, may I conclude you're playing in SpellJammer?

Anyway, is it one wish per party or per party member? If the latter, replicate a clone spell for everyone is the best safeguard against death.

If it's one per party, wish for a handy magic item the whole party will profit off, such as an Instant Fortress or a Cubic Gate. Make sure you phrase the wish so you won't end up fighting someone too strong for it.

Fishyninja
2017-01-03, 01:40 PM
If it's one per party, wish for a handy magic item the whole party will profit off, such as an Instant Fortress or a Cubic Gate. Make sure you phrase the wish so you won't end up fighting someone too strong for it.

So the fortress has been suggested, I'm intrigued by the Cubic Gate.

Âmesang
2017-01-03, 02:42 PM
I'd like to have a cubic gate sometime, but I can't decide between one that opens to the major material planes (Oerth, Toril, Krynn, Eberron, Mystara), or to Oerth and its sister worlds (Aerth, Uerth, Yarth, Earth).

Either way that leaves one side unaccounted for. :smallconfused:

Zene
2017-01-03, 03:12 PM
Tip:
If you go with anything other than replicating the effect of another spell (I think the only suggestion on this page that doesn't do that is Clone) --Make sure the person who actually makes the wish is someone that would be ok with the possibility of never being able to cast Wish again. So no wizards, sorcerers, arcana clerics, or bards.

Corsair14
2017-01-03, 03:58 PM
Wish for a Holy Avenger for the paladin. Or wish for a good god to have access to the plane and see if it works. Just remember you are in Ravenloft, a wish can and will be easily manipulated by the dark powers so chose your wording carefully.