PDA

View Full Version : Unique magic item ability costs

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-01, 07:37 PM
Where is the rule that allows you to take abilities from unique items and add them to other items? I was sure it was in the MIC, but I can't find it.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-01-02, 04:18 AM
Where is the rule that allows you to take abilities from unique items and add them to other items? I was sure it was in the MIC, but I can't find it.

Think it was a web article. Check archives.wizards.com

Did you need help with pricing?

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-02, 04:29 AM
Think it was a web article. Check archives.wizards.com

Did you need help with pricing?

I'll try a google, thank you. No, I just like to cite sources, for times like this when I can't remember where the rule is.

D.M.Hentchel
2017-01-02, 07:26 AM
I'll try a google, thank you. No, I just like to cite sources, for times like this when I can't remember where the rule is.

282 DMG has what I think you are looking for

Edit: Seems MIC 233 has rules for adding common effects to existing items at cost . . .

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-02, 12:14 PM
Thank you, D.M. I didn't see any relevant rules on that page in the DMG, but that MIC page is very close to what I'm looking for: "For example, if a character adds the power to confer feather fall to her ring of jumping, the cost of adding this ability is 3,300 gp, the same as for creating a ring of feather falling × 1-1/2".

Isn't there somewhere that explicitly calls out that you can reverse-engineer the cost of abilities, though? For example, the Assassin Whip (MIC 46)'s unique ability cost could be calculated by subtracting the +1 (2k gp), whip (1 gp), and masterwork (300 gp), for a remainder of 3k gp to add the "2/day entangle for 3 rds and damage" effect to any other item I see fit.

flappeercraft
2017-01-02, 12:49 PM
Thank you, D.M. I didn't see any relevant rules on that page in the DMG, but that MIC page is very close to what I'm looking for: "For example, if a character adds the power to confer feather fall to her ring of jumping, the cost of adding this ability is 3,300 gp, the same as for creating a ring of feather falling × 1-1/2".

Isn't there somewhere that explicitly calls out that you can reverse-engineer the cost of abilities, though? For example, the Assassin Whip (MIC 46)'s unique ability cost could be calculated by subtracting the +1 (2k gp), whip (1 gp), and masterwork (300 gp), for a remainder of 3k gp to add the "2/day entangle for 3 rds and damage" effect to any other item I see fit.

I'm pretty sure there is no rule to reverse engineer but I might be wrong. Why not just improve upon the item itself with the ability you want on what you can on the meanwhile and if you get the rules then you just make what you want with it.

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-02, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty sure there is no rule to reverse engineer but I might be wrong. Why not just improve upon the item itself with the ability you want on what you can on the meanwhile and if you get the rules then you just make what you want with it.

A lot of folks online seem to assume there is such a rule for things like buying feats or alternate MM rods, so I'd imagine that such a rule must exist.

I need to cite a source for a guide; I'm not using this in game. There's a lot of terrible pre-fab magic items that are things like "+3 trident of rainbow bubbles" that I would like to be able to recommend, but cannot, since adding the extra +2 enhancement makes them absurdly overpriced. Other things like being able to add the rainbow bubbles effect to simple weapons rather than a martial weapon would be nice, too. I just need the RAW that says it can be done.