PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Build/Progress

Iden Elric
2017-01-01, 08:25 PM
This thread is not only for my own benefit, but for players who might be new to playing a Warlock, or are early into their character, and looking for advice on what path to take.

So I've been playing a Warlock for the past two months now, and we've only had a few chances to have a session, so I'm nearing the level three benchmark of my character, and I was wondering what a commonly agreed upon build for Warlocks is.
I'm almost definitely going to take the Pact of the Chain, but I'm debating what familiar I should take, and what general path I should take to become as effect a Warlock I can be.

My Invocations so far are Agonizing Blast (of course), and Eldritch Sight,
I have a Charlatan background, and am aiming to be a bit of a balance of World Interaction, and Combat. (Is this a wise choice?)

So In summery:
1. What familiar is good for what, and is there a superior one for the character I am already playing
2. What Invocations would be recommended?
3. Should I tip in one direction of A: Out of combat, or B: In combat, play style?

Hope people find this useful and/or a good opportunity to share what they know.

Thank you: Iden Elric

Vaz
2017-01-01, 09:56 PM
Will your DM allow the Resist Magic with the Familiar to pass over? And what is your Patron? It might have an RP effect. Volos has some good ones, like a Gazer maybe for a GoO.

Repelling Blast helps your party out. Mage Armour gives you a decent AC if you're not a Dwarf and have good Dex. Chains of Carceri is ace, but you're nowhere near. Devil's Sight and darkness combine with your Imp's ability to see in the Dark against things which can't.

Between race, such as Human, or Half Elf, the spell list, background and Beguiling Influence you have a stupidly good skill set (7-8). Warlock giving Intimidation (Cha), beguling Influence for persuade (Cha) and deception (Cha), Acolyte (Insight+Religion), human (History) with Magic Initiate (for Guidance) gives the best coverage I have found.

You get the 4 main socials (can go Half Elf for another knowledge/performance, but arcana is less relevant and rarely is performance a thing for socials that I'd give Guidance up for) to be able to operste in coversations. Mainline Cha, obviously, but if you can afford to bump Wis up outside of Proficiency, you're gold. Wis and Int can be dumped, but you now know about gods at a low level, (average DC15) and the lands you are visiting (assumes 5th level and Int/Wis 8), but have an Insight check averaging around 18, and a Charisma based check of average of 21.

You get Comprehend Languages and Charm as 1st level spells, and tongues as 3rd, but you have to drop the spell for Guidance.

You can cast friends for a short term get out of jail card giving you time to escape. If you have access to magic items, a helmet of telepathy to read their mind.

If you were to multiclass, bard 3 gives you double proficiency on two skills (Persuade and Insight for me usually), and half prof in all others. Cutting Words for the additional AC boost when in need. Plus, gives access to Prestidigitation (always be clean around people, or dirty if you need to look the part etc), speak with animals, disguise self, detect thoughts, calm emotions, locate object, suggestion...

All in all, a very good party face, and when all else fails, you go Eldritch Blast.

Addaran
2017-01-01, 10:22 PM
Like Vaz mentionned, your race and patron would be usefull.

So In summery:
1. What familiar is good for what, and is there a superior one for the character I am already playing
2. What Invocations would be recommended?
3. Should I tip in one direction of A: Out of combat, or B: In combat, play style?

Hope people find this useful and/or a good opportunity to share what they know.

Thank you: Iden Elric

1. The familliar with invisibility are awesome for scouting. Quasit and Imp if you plan on using darkness or fighting enemies with it. The others have more niche abilities. Sprite and pseudodragon looks friendlier though (in city or during interaction).
2 and 3. I'd keep going in both directions. I find that overspecializing isn't worth it. You'll only be a little better at one thing, instead of being great at two. Also help not be bored when it's not the one situation you're good at.

Iden Elric
2017-01-01, 10:34 PM
Will your DM allow the Resist Magic with the Familiar to pass over? And what is your Patron? It might have an RP effect. Volos has some good ones, like a Gazer maybe for a GoO.

Repelling Blast helps your party out. Mage Armour gives you a decent AC if you're not a Dwarf and have good Dex. Chains of Carceri is ace, but you're nowhere near. Devil's Sight and darkness combine with your Imp's ability to see in the Dark against things which can't.

Between race, such as Human, or Half Elf, the spell list, background and Beguiling Influence you have a stupidly good skill set (7-8). Warlock giving Intimidation (Cha), beguling Influence for persuade (Cha) and deception (Cha), Acolyte (Insight+Religion), human (History) with Magic Initiate (for Guidance) gives the best coverage I have found.

You get the 4 main socials (can go Half Elf for another knowledge/performance, but arcana is less relevant and rarely is performance a thing for socials that I'd give Guidance up for) to be able to operste in coversations. Mainline Cha, obviously, but if you can afford to bump Wis up outside of Proficiency, you're gold. Wis and Int can be dumped, but you now know about gods at a low level, (average DC15) and the lands you are visiting (assumes 5th level and Int/Wis 8), but have an Insight check averaging around 18, and a Charisma based check of average of 21.

You get Comprehend Languages and Charm as 1st level spells, and tongues as 3rd, but you have to drop the spell for Guidance.

You can cast friends for a short term get out of jail card giving you time to escape. If you have access to magic items, a helmet of telepathy to read their mind.

If you were to multiclass, bard 3 gives you double proficiency on two skills (Persuade and Insight for me usually), and half prof in all others. Cutting Words for the additional AC boost when in need. Plus, gives access to Prestidigitation (always be clean around people, or dirty if you need to look the part etc), speak with animals, disguise self, detect thoughts, calm emotions, locate object, suggestion...

All in all, a very good party face, and when all else fails, you go Eldritch Blast.

Thank you.
Yes, I forgot to mention that i'm also a Tiefling with The Great Old One patron. I've got Thaumtergy, Eldritch Blast, and Chilling Touch for cantrips. Witch Bolt, Arms of Hadar, and Hex for first level spells.