PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with vengeance paladin/sorcerer build

drizzt73
2017-01-01, 08:56 PM
Hi all, I'm new to these forums (well I've been stalking for a couple of years looking at builds/guides) but I need you help. We are starting Storm Kings Thunder (SKT) this Wed and I am procrastinating on my PC. First off SKT is 1-10 but we may continue on but not sure at this stage so lets plan for 10th lvl. The party consists of a planned human dex fighter/swashbuckler, a dex dual wielding tabaxi ranger/dex fighter (these guys plan on running around a lot and being stealthy together), a dwarven bard (unsure on the build) and a firbolg circle druid (non beast changer) so I think we need a tank (and maybe a little healing). As such I am thinking paladin would be wise. I have read some good guides on here and other sites including EvilAnagram's and GladiusLegus and like the sound of a smiting vengeance paladin with multiclass into sorcerer for spell slots, shield spell and metamagic. My problem is (and this is gonna sound bad) that we rolled for our stats and I rolled the best I have ever rolled in 25+ years-
S 15, D 16, C 17, I 15, W 14, C 13 :) The DM is also letting us swap 1 stat as we rolled in order of attributes so I plan on switching Con for my attack stat. Soooo my quandary is I actually have too many options.

1.Dex or Strength?
2.S&B or PAM?
3.First lvl fighter for the CON save and a 2nd fighting style (Defence + either duelling or GWF?) or start as paladin
4.Race- variant human for the feat, normal human for stats of 16,17,18,15,14 (swapping one), Volo's Aasimar for the RP goodness and paladin like abilities or a half elf for the +2 char and +1 to the 17 (which I will probably swap for either dex or str) and the option to take 2 levels in Wiz and bladesing. which leads me into-
5.Multiclassing, Again do I take fighter at 1st and then paladin 6 into 3 lvls sorc (draconic) which if I am dex building (18 at first lvl) will give me 18 armour or 20 if I S&B and let me ad fire to GFB etc.

There are lots more options like bard or warlock instead of sorcerer or even taking 2-3 levels in 4 classes etc. as I have the stats to multiclass as much as I like. I.E fighter 2, wizard 2, sorcerer 2, paladin 4 etc., this gives me lots of tricks and class abilities but I lose higher lvl stuff and obviously ASI's but I don't really need them too much I guess.

So what would you do?? Thanks in advance

King539
2017-01-01, 09:09 PM
1. STR.

2. S&B. Take War Caster.

3. Start Pally.

4. Vhuman.

5. Go Pally 2, then Sorc 6, then 4 more levels of Pally, then straight Sorcerer.

I'd say Gastronomie's Sorcadin guide is required reading.

I've played a Sorcadin in Storm King's Thunder, and it's great.

drizzt73
2017-01-02, 01:13 AM
1. STR.

2. S&B. Take War Caster.

3. Start Pally.

4. Vhuman.

5. Go Pally 2, then Sorc 6, then 4 more levels of Pally, then straight Sorcerer.

I'd say Gastronomie's Sorcadin guide is required reading.

I've played a Sorcadin in Storm King's Thunder, and it's great.

Thanks for your feedback. I have read Gastromie's guide this morning and it is great. Can I ask why you chose Strength? Gastronomie implies dex is better if you can do the stats which I think I have covered. Also if I go sorcerer I would take draconic and have effectively plate mail armour without wearing any?

What would you do with the stats. I am thinking of swapping Dex and con and with racial end up with S15 D18 C16 I15 W14 Ch14. If I go variant I would take war caster feat I think and go S&B with either Longsword (str) or Rapier (dex).

djreynolds
2017-01-02, 01:17 AM
Thanks for your feedback. I have read Gastromie's guide this morning and it is great. Can I ask why you chose Strength? Gastronomie implies dex is better if you can do the stats which I think I have covered. Also if I go sorcerer I would take draconic and have effectively plate mail armour without wearing any?

What would you do with the stats. I am thinking of swapping Dex and con and with racial end up with S15 D18 C16 I15 W14 Ch14. If I go variant I would take war caster feat I think and go S&B with either Longsword (str) or Rapier (dex).

I think with standard array strength is better, and you can use PAM and at 11th all 3 attacks are affected by improved divine smite and you can add GWM to this.

But your stats... you could be anything

Gignere
2017-01-02, 01:28 AM
S 15, D 16, C 17, I 15, W 14, C 13 :) The DM is also letting us swap 1 stat as we rolled in order of attributes so I plan on switching Con for my attack stat. Soooo my quandary is I actually have too many options.

With the above stat array I would swap Charisma with Intelligence, go half elf and start with S 16, D 16, C 18, I 13, W 14, Ch 17. You can go either two hander or S&B. Personally I would go two hander just my personal preference. You already have more hit points than the average Sorcadin since with standard array or 27 PB most can only afford 14 in Con, so you can take some risk. Grab the defense fighting style and you are only giving up 1 AC. This assumes you want to go the 6 paladin / X sorcerer route. Eventually grab GWM.