PDA

View Full Version : The PH spooficon: who has and hasn't gotten the OOTs treatment.

Oberon
2007-07-18, 02:10 AM
Perusing through the OOts archives I've always subconciously made a mental list of the all basic "core classes" and "core races" that OOTS have made fun of, and I must say, there are very few gaps. I suspect that Rich will probably keep choosing new areas to spoof, as D&D is a very broad subject, so here's the list and my predictions of which kind of characters we can expect in the future. Also feel free to discuss any feats, skills, spells, or rules that you think would be humorous just by nature, but there are WAY too many to list, and make sure to mark anything from bonus material (SoD, OoPCs, etc.) in spoilers!

Pk here goes, cover just the basic creation stuff from the Players' Handbook:

Races:
Humans: Ok, so there are lots of humans, and other make fun of them. Good.
Dwarves: Durkon and Hilgya presented a stereotypical Dwarf and a counterpart, and we'veheard a lot about drinking. No need for too much more dwarf humor.
Elves: :vaarsuvius:
Gnomes: The only example to date is Leeky Windstaff, a minor character who was evil and really didn't act Gnomish. Gnomes are humorous to begin with and overdue for a spoofing.
Half-Elves: We had Pompey. True, he was almost as minor as Leeky, but one half-elf is enough.
Half-orc: Thog. See previous comment, with "orc" instead of "elf"
Halflings: Belkar, although opposite of a normal halfling, is all the halfling we need (especially when lines like "WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY!?" are involved.)

Ok so the races are pretty much covered, except perhaps gnome, and maybe some more jokes on the nature of being human. Now how about...

Classes
Barbarian: Thog. Belkar. Barbrians guild. Barbarian has been done.
Bard: Elan is the quintessential Bard, and any Bard joke that could ever be made can use him.
Cleric: Durkon and Redcloak summarize the good cleric/Evil cleric thing quite nicely. We've also seen a few others, ie Hilgya(go team cleric!), and that cleric Redcloak fights in that ever-so-epic battle.
Druid: again, Leeky windstaff was the only one, and he was evil. I think we could stand to see some more Druid jokes, maybe with one who picked some bizarre creature to wild shape into.
Fighter: Even though Roy is a fighter and many minor characters are most likely fighters, you can never have too many fighters. Fighters can be so diverse that I think any miscellaneous enemy with class levels will be a fighter. Fighters are good fodder, for humor and in battle :).
Monk: The only time I recall hearing about Monks was Miko, who onlky took a few levels before multiclassinginto paladin. Monks have plenty of features that could be made fun of (balancing on vertical surfaces for one) and I think the OOTs will encounter a high-level monk sometime before the comic is over.
Paladin: This class, on the other hand, i don't expect to see much more of, other than the few remaining paladin characters already established(Hinjo, Lien), and maybe some more Saffire guard if it ever rebiulds. But no new orders of paladins, for sure.
Ranger: Belkar has led to many Ranger jokes, mainly due to his incompetence. I don't think we will see many other rangers, but Belkar's newly acquired Evasion implies that he might start noticing other new class features.
Rogue: And that's Rogue, not Rouge. As with fighters, rogues come in many styles. Haley is the ranged-attack/bluff/lockpicker type, with the occasional sneak attack thrown in for good measure. Other rogue types include the Disguise Geek, Mr. Invisible/Sneak Attack, the Ninja rogue, "No, seriously! The town bridge really is for sale, and I can get you a good price on it!" rogue, the Back-alley drunk adventurer robber, and the pirate wench rogue. Fear this last one most, she charms you, then runs off with all your gold, and your pants!(this entry by surfing half-orc, cause I messedup.)
Sorcerer: Ok, so SoD has a lot of Sorcerer stuff, but as far as the online version is concerned we have Xykon and Nale (somewhat)and some bit characters. Sure they haven't made too many jokes about the nature of sorcerers, but I don't find the sorcerer inherently funny to begin with, so I'll just leave it at that.
Wizard: Vaarsuvius. Spellbooks, devotion to magic, desire for power, an air of superiority, studying long and hard just to learn a single spell... the list goes on. There have been other Wizards, but :vaarsuvius: pretty much has it all.

So there it is.. as for
Spells, Feats, Skills, Rules, Etc.
That OOTs has never covered, discuss at your leisure.

In terms of spells, I've always thought if you got some house-ruled spells added to the list of spells you can use perminancy with, you could make some pretty evil combinations... (Otto's irresitable dance, then permancy, then slip a sustaining ring onto his finger... talk about torture...)

Otherwise, have at it.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-18, 02:54 AM
There was another gnome here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0049.html along with a magic joke.

The only other gnome that I know of was here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0138.html and it poked fun at gnomes and their quirky tinkering.

Selv
2007-07-18, 03:21 AM
A nameless monk gets a page in Origin of PCs. Belkar is not kind.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-18, 04:40 AM
You forgot the Rogue... And your comments on it!

Siwenna
2007-07-18, 06:06 AM
There was also the dwarf assassin at the inn that that got blown up. He wasn't exactly a typical dwarf.

Capt'n Ironbrow
2007-07-18, 06:16 AM
But he used guns and gunpowder and wasn't too keen on collateral damage... not all dwarves are hammerslingers or frenzied axemen, some dwarves prefer their weapons to say "bang!" and see their enemies blown to tiny little pieces by a good mixture of sulfur, charcoal and salpetre...

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-18, 07:32 AM

Yep, so I'll try to answer it in the format he has already used, so all he has to do is cut and paste! :smallbiggrin:

Rogue: And that's Rogue, not Rouge. As with fighters, rogues come in many styles. Haley is the ranged-attack/bluff/lockpicker type, with the occasional sneak attack thrown in for good measure. Other rogue types include the Disguise Geek, Mr. Invisible/Sneak Attack, the Ninja rogue, "No, seriously! The town bridge really is for sale, and I can get you a good price on it!" rogue, the Back-alley drunk adventurer robber, and the pirate wench rogue. Fear this last one most, she charms you, then runs off with all your gold, and your pants!

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-18, 07:49 AM
... and the pirate wench rogue. Fear this last one most, she charms you, then runs off with all your gold, and your pants!

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Nah...not the pants. When people started complaining about public nudity, we had to change it and leave at least their pants on. We also leave on copper piece in their pockets so they can make a phonecall. To their lawyer. Or their mom.

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-07-18, 07:57 AM
Rouges? (http://www.darklegacycomics.com/41.html) Yeah they are really overpowered.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-07-18, 08:39 AM

Huzzah! Fixed typo!
Personally, I like the Splinter Cell Rogue/Cat Burgler type.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-07-18, 11:26 AM
Druid: again, Leeky windstaff was the only one, and he was evil.

Lirian (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html) was also a druid.

Arnen
2007-07-18, 01:45 PM
Rogue: And that's Rogue, not Rouge. As with fighters, rogues come in many styles. Haley is the ranged-attack/bluff/lockpicker type, with the occasional sneak attack thrown in for good measure. Other rogue types include the Disguise Geek, Mr. Invisible/Sneak Attack, the Ninja rogue, "No, seriously! The town bridge really is for sale, and I can get you a good price on it!" rogue, the Back-alley drunk adventurer robber, and the pirate wench rogue. Fear this last one most, she charms you, then runs off with all your gold, and your pants!

You also forgot the multiclass bard/rogue, who lulls you into a false sense of security with song before robbing you blind. :smallbiggrin:

Hmm... It'd be interesting if Haley and Elan combined their talents like that. Like, have Elan put on a street performance while Haley robs all the bystanders. Though I don't know if Elan'd do anything like that willingly.

Oberon
2007-07-18, 02:18 PM
Whoops.. rogue...nice catch... Thanks to Surfing half-orc for adding that before I woke up. I'll put your entry opn the list as-is.
And I think some more, different kinds of rogues could easily show up in OOTs. It's another very diverse class. We did have that one shadowdancer..

Tomitsu
2007-07-18, 02:46 PM
Don't forget that crazy gnome who tried to sell Durkon some armor.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0138.html

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-18, 03:20 PM
You also forgot the multiclass bard/rogue, who lulls you into a false sense of security with song before robbing you blind. :smallbiggrin:

Hmm... It'd be interesting if Haley and Elan combined their talents like that. Like, have Elan put on a street performance while Haley robs all the bystanders. Though I don't know if Elan'd do anything like that willingly.

I've kicked similar ideas around in the form of Elan and Haley's kids. Elan's charm, music talents and naiviety, combined with Haley's bluff and greed? Several kids working the crowd as a team?

Better keep EVERYTHING locked up! Including the LOCKS!

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-18, 03:22 PM
I want to see them spoof the warlock class. To me its a character that blows stuff up and depending on how well its been structured it can be horribly overpowered or horribly underpowered.

Miklus
2007-07-18, 04:08 PM
Don't forget Samantha the Sorcerer and her high charisma. There was a nice sorcerer vs. wizard battle too.

But there should be made more fun of monks. Much, much more.

fangthane
2007-07-18, 04:15 PM
Here's a couple of builds which could use a good parody/comic treatment...

Arcane Tricksters. Yeah it's a prestige, but one of the most fundamentally simple, a blend of arcane power and backstabbity. Basically, an optimal "Invisible until and possibly after sneak attack" build. Then get him caught in the middle of a Horrid Wilting. :smallbiggrin:

PHB2 has some nifty feats. The one I'm thinking of would make a fighter/rogue a serious threat to anyone who only takes up 10x10 space or less. Can't recall the name, but it allows you to threaten an opponent from your own space in addition to any space you already threaten which is also adjacent to that opponent. So, with a spiked chain and a wand of Enlarge Person (UMD 4tw) this guy can sneak-attack anyone (other than the exceedingly large, usually not susceptible to crits anyhow) he threatens. Almost as nifty a build to spoof as the chain-wielding, spring-attacking ogre.

And yeah, even a lowbie warlock with Spear could be good for a few yuks, given how low people's spot checks can be... Ideally, a warlock up in a clock tower... "Zot... Zot... Zot... Oswald was a pansy."

Zherog
2007-07-18, 04:35 PM
PHB2 has some nifty feats. The one I'm thinking of would make a fighter/rogue a serious threat to anyone who only takes up 10x10 space or less. Can't recall the name, but it allows you to threaten an opponent from your own space in addition to any space you already threaten which is also adjacent to that opponent. So, with a spiked chain and a wand of Enlarge Person (UMD 4tw) this guy can sneak-attack anyone (other than the exceedingly large, usually not susceptible to crits anyhow) he threatens. Almost as nifty a build to spoof as the chain-wielding, spring-attacking ogre.

You're talking about the Adaptive Flanker feat. And, nope, that trick doesn't work. Sorry.

Can a character with the Adaptive Flanker feat (Player's Handbook II, 73) and a spiked chain flank an enemy all by himself (since he can choose to count as occupying the square opposite the enemy as well as his own square)?

No. This feat doesn't let you get around the basic rule of flanking, which is that you need an ally to accomplish it--it just lets you pretend to occupy an extra space when figuring out if you're actually flanking an enemy with your ally.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-18, 06:50 PM
Why everyone calls Haley greedy? I really think she isn't.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-18, 07:03 PM

Um... I think these strips might give some evidence...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0029.html

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0033.html

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0129.html

Of course, there is a reason for the greed:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html

But even that is tempered by a sceen from On the Origins of PCs:

After receiving a the letter from 131 above, Haley swears to rescue her father, or die trying. In the end, the 10% of all future income, in perpetuity, is a small price for her father to have to pay Haley for said rescue.

She's greedy; Belkar is Chaotic Evil; and as for Vaarsuvious? S/he is still undefined. Meh... 2 out of 3 is not too bad...

p.s. I like your new Avatar. :smallwink:

fangthane
2007-07-18, 07:08 PM
You're talking about the Adaptive Flanker feat. And, nope, that trick doesn't work. Sorry.

Doh, figures. Still, you could make him an ettin... It wouldn't necessarily be in full accord with the rules, but it'd make good comedy. :smallbiggrin:

I have to admit though, that feat was one I looked at and the first thing I thought was "that's going in the Errata." :)

expirement10K14
2007-07-18, 07:17 PM

That looks more like a Dwarf, not a gnome.
Edit: Nevermind, I just noticed the name of the store, and he does make a sereotypical gnome.

Kish
2007-07-18, 08:02 PM
Take a look at your own sig.

(And no, it's not all about rescuing her father. OtOoPCs makes it clear, if her scrubbing lucre every day until it shines and referring to the entire party's dragon treasure as "not the loot, MY loot, MINE!" doesn't, that she was greedy long before she had anything resembling a noble motive.)

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-19, 05:48 AM
It's not greed... It's called passion. She really loves them, they're her children, but she is not as shallow as Durkon and the rest of the party think she is.(http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html)
All rogues love money I think, but greedy means more than that. Haley doesn't live for money, nor money is her only thought. She just likes finding treasures and stealing (that makes them even hotter).
I'm not saying she doesn't like them, I'm saying that greedy is not Haley's description. She has much more than that, and noone notices.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-19, 07:50 AM
It's not greed... It's called passion. She really loves them, they're her children, but she is not as shallow as Durkon and the rest of the party think she is.(http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html)
All rogues love money I think, but greedy means more than that. Haley doesn't live for money, nor money is her only thought. She just likes finding treasures and stealing (that makes them even hotter).
I'm not saying she doesn't like them, I'm saying that greedy is not Haley's description. She has much more than that, and noone notices.

There is more to Haley than just greed, but greed is as much a part of her as music is to Elan, talking is to Vaarsuvious, and being a sexy, shoeless god of war is to Belkar.

These are some of the most three-dimentional 2D stick figures I've ever seen.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-19, 08:08 AM
Maybe I think greed is something very negative and I really like Haley to accept it. Don't know.

And cooking. He's a sexy shoeless god of cooking as well.

Garland
2007-07-19, 11:49 AM
There was also Zz'dtri who originated a couple of very good Dark-Elf jokes like "Now the whole species consists of nothing but Chaotic Good rebels, yearning to throw off the reputation of their evil kin."

Um, i see that most of my posts mention zz'dtri in some way. maybe i'm obsessed.

Kish
2007-07-20, 03:56 PM
All rogues love money I think,
No. That's as invalid as saying every rogue is a thief. Rogues need not be any greedier than any other class.

Gol_Stoan
2007-07-20, 08:00 PM
I believe that there will be some pirate jokes forthcoming once Hinjo's Junk launches. Spoofing pirate rpgs like this current one I am involved in.
http://members.aol.com/countrygrrlhere/snbjournal.htm
My GM chronicles her games, I am "Ronin", yes a samurai on a pirate ship, wierd parallel that. :smallbiggrin:

We are not riding a junk, but we do have a substandard monkey. :smallbiggrin:

Neek
2007-07-20, 08:46 PM

I don't think this is so much a spoof on Gnomes as it is a spoof on how little time the developers in D&D have spent in designing equipment in supplements that makes no sense, but yet has some sort of mechanical niche despite how illogical it may be.