PDA

View Full Version : I really want to get into role play games like d&d but how ?

Williambart22
2017-01-02, 05:24 AM
How do I get into it? None of my friends would be interested

Frozen_Feet
2017-01-02, 06:04 AM
Time to expand your circle of friends.

See if there is a game shop or a gaming club in your area. Then look up roleplaying conventions and see if you can make it to one of those. If no clubs nor conventions are around, you more or less have to start a group yourself. Put up a "looking for group" ad on a message board somewhere. I mean physical message boards, like you''d probably find in your local library. Also check if your local library has any copies of RPG rules for borrowing. Failing this, look up one of many free D&D-like systems on the internet, like Lamentations of the Flame Princess, and use that. I think you can also get some 5e D&D rules for free, and of course the d20 system reference document contains all core rules of d20 D&D save for character creation and advancement.

Nightcanon
2017-01-02, 06:21 AM

None of your friends would be interested, or none of your friends are interested? If it's the former, how do you know? Unless you have asked them and been told flat out that they don't (ever) want to play, I'd suggest investing in the free download of the 5e basic rules and spending an afternoon playing the game. It depends what you currently do with your friends- if you already hang out at each others' homes playing board games/ computer games/ watching movies then suggest that you play D&D one time instead. The advantage of D&D over boardgames/ computer games/ movies is that you can do far more because you have a Dungeon Master simulating the world for you, not a computer or a relatively simple set of rules or scriptwriter/ director. Sell it to your friends like that- wouldn't it be cool to play a game where we can 'be' heroes like Aragorn/ interact with more realism with the world than in (insert computer game here- sorry, I have limited recent experience).
Play a fairly simple game, don't worry about getting the rules 'right', aim to have fun (having lots of healing available, and playing the enemies fairly weak so no one gets killed in the first fight and ends up sitting out will be helpful here).
If your friends really don't want to play, and you really do, make new friends! If you know of people who play, ask to join them; if you don't check your local games shop to see if there are any clubs in the area.

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-02, 06:32 AM

How do you know this? I mean if you've asked and they've said no then that's fine, but you should ask because you never know.

After that, the best thing to do is to find a games club. In some ways it doesn't matter if it's wargames or board games (or card games), as long as you're interested in playing them, most tabletop clubs are willing to let anything be played. If there is one, go along, say you're interested in it, and also play a few games with them, get to be acquaintances.

I'm good friends with someone due to going to my library's warhammer club and asking if anybody wanted to play a game of Dark Heresy (nobody from that club is in the roleplaying group anymore, due to it having run for a few years and a slow rotation as people lose interest).

One group I'm in at the moment was technically started by posting on a Facebook group, but in reality most of the group was invited beforehand due to being friends with the GM's wife, so I don't recommend it unless you're currently at university or the like where there's likely to be a society for it.

Firest Kathon
2017-01-02, 09:34 AM
See if there is a game shop or a gaming club in your area.
One of the options here is an organized play, where (usually) the producer of an RPG organizes the campaign. For Pathfinder this would be Pathfinder Society (http://paizo.com/pathfindersociety) (PFS, event list (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/events)), for D&D it would be the Adventurer's League (http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/organized-play), and I'm sure there are others for other systems.
At least for PFS, many conventions are also listed on their site. You can also browse dedicated sites, for conventions, e.g. Warhorn (https://warhorn.net/conventions), for something in your area.

Scorponok
2017-01-03, 03:36 PM
Like others have mentioned, the best way to get into it is to go to your gaming shop and ask around. Play in a few of the "official" adventure games till you get the hang of it. Usually the people playing (unless they are new themselves) will also have other gaming groups they are a part of.

Another way to meet people to play D&D with is to look at community ad boards like craigslist. Sometimes people post to look for others to play with.

Stealth Marmot
2017-01-03, 03:59 PM
Use mind bondage on your friends to force them to play it and buy you pizza while they are at it.

It didn't work? I guess you aren't high enough level Debbie.

First thing is first: Find out if there are games you could play in your local area. This isn't necessarily because you want to ditch your friends so much as you need to try learning how these games are played. This is useful, but not critical to getting your friends into these sorts of games.

See, the most important thing about these games are not the books, dice, or system. it's the Game Master or GM. Someone has to run the game. If you want a game that runs itself, you need a board game instead (Which I could suggest many that re great. My favorite is SmallWorld). Long story short, you have 2 options: Find an existing GM to run a game with your friends, either through homebrew for one of the tournament groups, or (more likely) since you have the most ambition about this sort of thing, you're going to have to be GM.

Playing the game before you GM is advised of course, hence why I suggested finding some groups to play in for a while. That said, you don't NEED to be a player first, instead you can spend some time looking online at live played D&D and Pathfinder types of games. You can likely find a few shown by Wizards of the Coast (Not the least of qhich the infamous Acquisitions Inc. podcasts and shows).

You should at least watch some in order to get a feel for the pace of the game, and see what a GM does, and whether you want to put the effort into doing such things.

If not, you will probably have to look around for the groups as mentioned and over time try to see if you can involve one or two of your existing friends into those groups at a time. They might not be interested, but maybe they will.

Should you decide to go the GM route yourself though, you'll find plenty of help from us.

Noje
2017-01-03, 06:48 PM

I ran into this problem when I first started. I saw my uncle playing this cool game and I wanted to play, but I didn't know anyone in my town who played any kind of TTRPG. My dad bought me the First edition core rulebooks for my birthday, and I read the hell out of them. As I read the books I talked to my friends at school excitedly about this cool new game I was learning. But I still had the problem that I didn't have anyone else that knew the game to play with. Luckily, most things in First edition happen behind the screen anyway, so when I convinced my friends to try it out with me, they didn't get stuck in the rules. It took me a few tries for me to run a good long campaign, but even character creation is fun when you're doing it with friends.

Don't be too intimidated. Just pick a system, familiarize yourself with it, and invite your friends over for a game night. Pizza and Mountain Dew are recommended. Of course there are other options if you don't want to start out as the Dungeon Master, like playing with a group online or at a game shop, but nothing beats doing it with friends.

kyoryu
2017-01-03, 07:28 PM
https://roll20.net/

theasl
2017-01-04, 03:37 PM
We've also got a large play-by-post community here on the GitP forums, if you don't mind playing that way. There are plenty of friendly DMs and players willing to help out new players.

Freed
2017-01-04, 06:23 PM
Well, it doesn't have to be just friends. I first started playing D&D with my brother. Would family members be interested?