PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Master - Sound Scapes

Stoorn
2017-01-02, 10:14 AM
Hi all!

This is my first post.

I was wondering if any of you players/DMs use sound scapes to enhance a gaming session. I guess I am looking for an iPad app with sounds like a dripping cave, howling wind, campfire crackling, rain, thunder, squeaking hinges and such.

Fishyninja
2017-01-02, 10:17 AM
Welcome from all of us at GITP!

I had a quick look and I found this site: https://syrinscape.com/
It looks like there is a free version and premium version, now I have not sued it but this was the first result on google when I searched for "Fantasy soundscape".

Stoorn
2017-01-03, 08:35 AM
Thanks! I tried the free version and it was better than nothing, not super impressive though. I'll try and find some more apps.

Joe the Rat
2017-01-03, 09:03 AM
I run VTT (Roll20), and when I remember, I like to drop in background sound to add a little atmosphere. I've also occasionally used effect noises as a subtle clue to what's ahead, or what's coming for you. Normally I do this during the "everyone standing around and arguing in loud voices in the middle of a monster-infested dungeon" moments.

Regarding software, I've got nothing. I essentially had a SoundCloud playlist of effects that I could cue up or loop as needed.

Fishyninja
2017-01-03, 09:05 AM
Thanks! I tried the free version and it was better than nothing, not super impressive though. I'll try and find some more apps.

I'll look around in my spare time too, I am assuming free is better :P

Stoorn
2017-01-04, 08:31 AM
@Joe the rat
IŽll check out VTT. What is "when I remember"?

@Joe and Fishyninja
I found something :-)

MyNoise (website and free app). Sorry I can't post a link because I haven't reached 10 posts yet.

The free app for iOS is nice :) I bought two additional RPG soundscapes (total of 2 Euros) and now I have wind, cavalry, cannons, sword fighting, rain, water, fire, torch, birds, owl, and more with a nice interface like a sound mixer.

Joe the Rat
2017-01-04, 08:39 AM
"When I remember" means I tend to forget to start the sounds. Roll20 did add a "play on loading" feature to where a track will play automatically with a map once it's loaded. Not sure if that is basic or premium.

VTT - Virtual table Top. Useful for playing not in-person, but I have seen (on web) and heard of DMs using it to display maps and information for a home game.

I'll check out MyNoise.

Stoorn
2017-01-04, 10:15 AM
"When I remember" means I tend to forget to start the sounds.

Aaahh, I thought it was another tool :-)

Fishyninja
2017-01-05, 03:40 PM
@Joe the rat
IŽll check out VTT. What is "when I remember"?

@Joe and Fishyninja
I found something :-)

MyNoise (website and free app). Sorry I can't post a link because I haven't reached 10 posts yet.

The free app for iOS is nice :) I bought two additional RPG soundscapes (total of 2 Euros) and now I have wind, cavalry, cannons, sword fighting, rain, water, fire, torch, birds, owl, and more with a nice interface like a sound mixer.

Sounds good, cheap too. I will look it up if I ever DM.

Stoorn
2017-01-05, 06:24 PM
Mynoise is actually nice to run in the office or at home too. At least if you live in a snowy cold place as I do. I play a nice bird-water-wind-bees-soundscape and dream of summer :-)

Nod_Hero
2017-01-05, 06:28 PM
I'm a huge fan of TabletopAudio and use it every session.
http://tabletopaudio.com/

King539
2017-01-05, 06:35 PM
I'm a huge fan of TabletopAudio and use it every session.
http://tabletopaudio.com/

Agreed. I look forward to the chance to use it when I start DMing again.

Stoorn
2017-01-06, 12:11 PM
Looks nice!