PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Darbin.

M Placeholder
2017-01-02, 01:42 PM
Here is my shot at a Dwarven-Halfling crossbreed, for our campaign setting. The name means "Hearth Warden" in Dwarven.

Ability Score Increase - Your Strength increases by 1, your Dexterity increases by 1, and your Constitution increases by 1
Speed - Your base walking speed is 25 feet, and it is not reduced by wearing heavy armour.
Size – Darbins stand around 4-4.5ft tall and weigh in the region of 80-100 pounds. Your size is Small.
Fortunate – When you roll a 1 on an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and you must use the new roll. You can use this once between rests.
Low Light Vision – Out to 60 feet, You can see in dim light as if it were bright light.
Powerful Build – You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag or lift.
Resistance – You have resistance to Poison damage, and advantage on saving throws against poison.
Hop Handed – You have proficiency in the Brewer's Supplies. Ale is a strong common ground between the Halflings and Dwarves, and the ability to conjure up fine beverages is a trait.
Languages – You can speak Common, Dwarven and Halfling.

Steel Mirror
2017-01-02, 02:02 PM
It's a cute idea, and I like the concept.

I don't think Fortunate should key off of Charisma for the number of uses. The race doesn't get a bonus there, and it sort of locks these guys into 3 possibilities
1-Playing a charisma build, which is fine but you don't want to box a race in too tightly on a single build path, and anyway these guys don't get a charisma bonus so that's a sort of suboptimal choice to begin with
2-Playing another build but trying to keep your Charisma up high as well to benefit from the trait, which isn't great because nobody likes to be MAD
3-Dumping charisma when you are playing a class that doesn't care about it, and just accepting that you are losing out on one of the Darbin's signature traits

None of those are great options, so I'd change the way Fortunate works. If you want to give them a lesser version of the Halfling's Lucky trait, I would either narrow the class of rolls it applies to (say, ability checks and saves but not attack rolls) but make it apply all the time, or keep it as-is and make it limited in use in a way that doesn't involve Charisma. Maybe something like:

Fortunate In a Pinch. As long as you are at half of your maximum hp or below, when you roll a 1 on an attack role, ability check or saving throw, you can reroll the die and you must use the new roll.

I actually sort of like making them small but giving them Powerful Build to offset it, the image of a little guy clanking around in fullplate and carrying more gear than the party bard and wizard combined is great. On the other hand, I'm not sure about then giving them Heavy Handed. If they can carry as much as a medium size PC and can use the same weapons, what even is the point of making their size small? There are a few niche effects from abilities that shove or grapple and so on, but overall I think you could just up their size to medium and drop both Powerful Build and Heavy Handed, have the same in-game effect, but cut down on the clutter in the race build. Or you could keep Small and Powerful Build, and come up with something else to replace Heavy Handed. Maybe some weapon or armor proficiencies?

It's cool though! I'd love to see someone RP one of these guys.

JNAProductions
2017-01-02, 02:11 PM
Fortunate is meant to be a weaker version of Lucky, right? Assuming a decent Charisma score, let's say, 14, you get to do it twice per rest. How often are you rolling ones between rests? Anyone with decent Charisma will have that be functionally the same as Lucky in most scenarios. I'd limit it to once/rest period.

Steel Mirror
2017-01-02, 02:13 PM
Fortunate is meant to be a weaker version of Lucky, right? Assuming a decent Charisma score, let's say, 14, you get to do it twice per rest. How often are you rolling ones between rests? Anyone with decent Charisma will have that be functionally the same as Lucky in most scenarios. I'd limit it to once/rest period.
That's a good way to do it, too, it somehow skipped my mind how rare natural 1's are.

JNAProductions
2017-01-02, 02:23 PM
That's a good way to do it, too, it somehow skipped my mind how rare natural 1's are.

Yeah. I mean, odds of rolling a 1 on Xd20 are as follows:

5%

9.75%

14.26%

18.55%

22.62%

26.49%

30.17%

33.66%

And then AnyDice failed to compute it.

M Placeholder
2017-01-02, 02:33 PM
Okay, changed the Fortunate to once between rests, and considering that brew is a pretty large common ground between the two parent races, changed Heavy Handed to Hop Handed.