PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Natural Attack Wyvaran Help

Element Zero
2017-01-02, 02:27 PM
So, I need help. My nephew is playing in a game with meand he discovered the Wyvaran race. They arent really that impressive aside from flight at level one, but for reasons beyond my comprehension he is absolutely married to the idea.

He also wants to focus on natural attacks, loving the image of his dragon-man shredding foes with razor claws. The problem is that they don't get a claw attack.

So, what I need help with is this...a Wvyvaran melee character focused on claw attacks and as many hits per full attack as possible, but first he needs to gain claw attacks.

For reference, stat modifiers are +2 Dex, +2 Wiz, -2 Int

Any assistance is appreciated.

exelsisxax
2017-01-02, 02:35 PM
So, I need help. My nephew is playing in a game with meand he discovered the Wyvaran race. They arent really that impressive aside from flight at level one, but for reasons beyond my comprehension he is absolutely married to the idea.

He also wants to focus on natural attacks, loving the image of his dragon-man shredding foes with razor claws. The problem is that they don't get a claw attack.

So, what I need help with is this...a Wvyvaran melee character focused on claw attacks and as many hits per full attack as possible, but first he needs to gain claw attacks.

For reference, stat modifiers are +2 Dex, +2 Wiz, -2 Int

Any assistance is appreciated.
Bloodrager, take a bloodline that grants claw attacks. Use up all the bloodline feats and take spells that enhance or grant natural attacks. PrC into dragon discipline if draconic bloodline was selected, get a bite attack.

There isn't going to be lots of hits, but you can make them hurt. Nat attack stacking only works when you can get 8 arms.

Element Zero
2017-01-02, 05:57 PM
Bloodrager, take a bloodline that grants claw attacks. Use up all the bloodline feats and take spells that enhance or grant natural attacks. PrC into dragon discipline if draconic bloodline was selected, get a bite attack.

There isn't going to be lots of hits, but you can make them hurt. Nat attack stacking only works when you can get 8 arms.

I hadn't thought of Bloodrager. I actually looked it up, Draconic bloodline gives claws at level one for 1d6 each. Then he could move into Ranger or Fighter amd get TWF feats and Imp Natural Attack...thanks! Can't believe I overlooked that.

exelsisxax
2017-01-02, 06:27 PM
I hadn't thought of Bloodrager. I actually looked it up, Draconic bloodline gives claws at level one for 1d6 each. Then he could move into Ranger or Fighter amd get TWF feats and Imp Natural Attack...thanks! Can't believe I overlooked that.

No, he can't. TWF is incompatible with natural attacks. TWF is exclusively used for iterative attacks with manufactured weapons. The bloodline gives 2 claws, and with a full attack you make attacks with both no matter your BAB. +0 or +20, it's still 2 attacks.

It's also simply a bad idea to try to multiclass like that at all. It isn't worth it to give up spellcasting progression.

Element Zero
2017-01-02, 07:46 PM
No, he can't. TWF is incompatible with natural attacks. TWF is exclusively used for iterative attacks with manufactured weapons. The bloodline gives 2 claws, and with a full attack you make attacks with both no matter your BAB. +0 or +20, it's still 2 attacks.

It's also simply a bad idea to try to multiclass like that at all. It isn't worth it to give up spellcasting progression.

I see your point about the TWF thing, after doing more reading regarding natural attacks. Looks like I need to re-evaluate.

Normally I'd agree with you concerning the spellcasting progression, too, but he isn't terribly interested in casting and I was only going to suggest Bloodrager so he could get the natural weapons. So...yeah, he doesn't really lose anything he cares about.

Psyren
2017-01-03, 01:54 AM
If he's planning on Ranger anyway and all he wants are the claws, he can just pick the natural weapon combat style at 2nd level and choose Aspect of the Beast (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/aspect-of-the-beast) as his free ranger feat. His racial tail slap can get him through level 1 or you can simply start him off at level 2.

In addition, if he wants to avoid spellcasting completely, he can pick up the Skirmisher (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/skirmisher) archetype and trade his spells away for some useful Ranger tricks.

exelsisxax
2017-01-03, 07:15 AM
Point of note: the wyvaran's tail can't be used to make any attacks except attacks of opportunity, unless you have this (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/feats/3rd-party-feats/jon-brazer-enterprises/telling-tail-combat)feat, so make sure to actually take it.

But if spellcasting is to be avoided, spellless ranger is probably the way to go.

Psyren
2017-01-03, 02:58 PM
Point of note: the wyvaran's tail can't be used to make any attacks except attacks of opportunity, unless you have this (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/feats/3rd-party-feats/jon-brazer-enterprises/telling-tail-combat)feat, so make sure to actually take it.

But if spellcasting is to be avoided, spellless ranger is probably the way to go.

That feat is sadly 3rd party. I agree though that the tail ability in ARG is weirdly worded, and apparently there's been a FAQ request out for it sitting above the threshold for quite a while now. The tail is also more expensive RP-wise than several other natural attacks, so were I the GM I'd simply allow the tail to work all the time.

exelsisxax
2017-01-03, 03:05 PM
That feat is sadly 3rd party. I agree though that the tail ability in ARG is weirdly worded, and apparently there's been a FAQ request out for it sitting above the threshold for quite a while now. The tail is also more expensive RP-wise than several other natural attacks, so were I the GM I'd simply allow the tail to work all the time.

3rp would be an absolute steal if it was a real natural weapon. It's 1d8 for a medium sized creature and doesn't use up a hand. But this being a build for someone else who is a kid, i'd agree that there isn't much of an argument against just making it a secondary natural attack.

Psyren
2017-01-03, 03:12 PM
3rp would be an absolute steal if it was a real natural weapon. It's 1d8 for a medium sized creature and doesn't use up a hand. But this being a build for someone else who is a kid, i'd agree that there isn't much of an argument against just making it a secondary natural attack.

Eh, Bites don't use up a hand either and they only cost 1. Yeah their damage is lower, but since they bypass all three kinds of type-based DR they actually come out on par or ahead for less. So I'd be okay with this, or maybe lower the damage a bit.

In addition, tails are already secondary (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Natural-Attacks) - so the moment he gets the claws he actually wants, the tail will lose effectiveness automatically (-5 without multiattack and only ½ Str.)

Alistaroc
2017-01-03, 03:40 PM
The Wildsoul Vigilante archetype lets you get claws if you choose the Ursine soul.
The Dragonblood Chymist Alchemist archetype lets you get a mutagen that gives you claws and a bite, could be a really cool build actually...

EDIT: The Adopted trait used on the Half-Orc trait Tusked gives you a bite attack, flavor it how you wish I suppose.
EDIT EDIT: On second thought, the Feral Mutagen discovery for a default Alchemist is better than the Dragonblood Chymist early on.