PDA

View Full Version : In Character - Aldhaven: Doorways Dark and Dreadful

Rizban
2017-01-02, 03:54 PM
As you walk down the street one morning, you hear your name spoken softly and feel a tug on your sleeve. Turning around you see an obviously distraught man in his forties with deep bags under his eyes. You've never seen the man before and have no idea how he knows your name.

"Please... Please. I just want my children back," he begs, wringing his hands. He seems earnest in his request as he hands you a tattered piece of parchment. Looking down, you begin to read a bizarre but chilling note.

Your son and daughter, Mine.
Fail, and never free again.
Succeed, the Two are Yours.
Ten days only have You.

Gather these to bedroom of the Two.
Each must strike Your face four times with fist.
Their names here are:

Layla Heartstopper
Liliana Sewerjack
Genna Verywhere
Nicolaus Markovian

A slight shudder runs down your spine as you see your name. Looking up, you notice a small group of people standing behind the man who look distinctly uncomfortable and assume they are the other listed individuals.

The man approaches you each one at a time. Please make your first post include what you're doing when you are approached and how you react. He'll approach you in the order that you post, so the earlier you post, the sooner he approaches you.

Feel free to interact with each other once your characters have been recruited. The man, however, is driven to his task an only insists you follow him until he locates everyone and will not engage in conversation beyond that until everyone has been recruited.

Once everyone has their introductions up (or too much time has passed), I'll move the story forward.

Eldest
2017-01-02, 04:19 PM
Liliana glares at the old man, but lets her fist relax, unwilling to punch somebody just for startling her. She blinks, incredulous. You want me to hit you? What sorta madness is this? Upon being shown the note, she shrugs. It'll cost you a bit just so I know it ain't a trick, but I suppose I got nothing against the idea.

I'm unaware of what buys how much, so she's asking after about 20 bucks or so nowadays: little more than a good meal, not going to break the poor man.

Rizban
2017-01-02, 04:38 PM
He looks like he's about to start weeping. "Anything to get my children back..."

He digs in his pocket and provides you with a few silver coins and begs you to follow him, tugging on your sleeve as he starts off down the road.

planswalker
2017-01-02, 06:02 PM
"Um, well, Okay then. If you need it, I can help."

Genna wasn't sure what was going on, but she figured this man desperately needed some sort of help.

As she follows him, she wonders idly if she's ever heard of any other kidnappers pulling off similar schemes before. Possibly why they wanted their target to get strangers to hurt him.

d20+ (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21554586&postcount=4) - got a 27

Rizban
2017-01-02, 06:07 PM
Genna is vaguely aware of a gang of miscreants who enjoyed tormenting people. They were known to pull similar stunts, but she's fairly certain that the City Watch arrested all of the gang members about two years ago. She isn't aware of any incidents with that gang since the arrests were made.

GameOfChampions
2017-01-02, 06:23 PM
I look up as I feel the tug on my sleeve and listen curiously as the man relays his plea. I think on it for a second as I step away from him slightly with my hand rising to one of the scimitars on my shoulder, just in case you can never be too careful. 'He seems earnest enough and I don't have much else going on right now, it might be helpful to partner up with some people who know the city until I learn the ropes and can make it on my own. Besides maybe I can make a little coin on the side with this. Besides I want to see how they knew my name...'

I shrug and flash him a smile just as she eyes the pair of other people who are waiting near him. "Sure I'll help you out, I'm new to the city and don't really have any plans right now."

As she joins him as he walks to supposedly find the others she falls into line with the others and gives both a polite nod "I'm Layla, I assume you guys are on that list as well?"

Sønderjye
2017-01-03, 09:13 AM
Nicolaus was walking aimlessly down the street. His feet were dragging and his eyes were trailing the dirt beneath him. His thought constantly went back to the sight of his warehouses. The flood had spared none of them. Not a single one. Over the last days his thoughts had circled around this all the time and if his tear channels hadn't already been depleted another drop would have ran down chin. Those houses had been his life's work! His one way of feeding himself and his son. His life!

So lost in miserable thoughts was he that it took him multiple seconds before he noticed tug.

"Please... Please. I just want my children back," he begs, wringing his hands. He seems earnest in his request as he hands you a tattered piece of parchment. Looking down, you begin to read a bizarre but chilling note.

His first thought was dismissive. Why would this strange man approach him or even more so expect him to actually help him? For a long moment he looks down on the older man in mild disgust over his naivety and almost about to turn around and his eyes suddenly catch something in the man's eyes. Hope? Fool! How could he have hope of ever seeing his children again. Surely whoever had kidnapped his children would have him murdered when he had exhausted his use. Even so...

"I'll help" the words comes out of his mouth to his own suprise.

Knowledge(local) to the people assembled and to the nameless man.
Man: [roll0]
Liliana: [roll1]
Genna: [roll2]
Layla: [roll3]

Rizban
2017-01-03, 12:36 PM
Nicolaus doesn't recognize the man, having never seen his face. As far as he knows, the man is just another of the countless people who live and travel through Aldhaven. His clothing marks him as a merchant of some sort, and his particular outfit is in the fashion currently popular among locals. Based on his apparent possessions, the man looks to be well off enough to rent a decent home but certainly not wealthy enough to own his own property. Nicolaus assumes the man most likely works as a clerk or other white collar job for a more prominent merchant, as the man also does not wear the marks of membership associated with official guild merchants.

Rizban
2017-01-04, 10:11 PM
When the fourth and final person on his list agrees to accompany him and assist, he lets out a deep sigh of relief.

"Finally... I'm going to hold my children in my arms again! This way! This way, come along!"

He leads you to a street in North Market lined on both sides with multistory buildings, the ground floor of each taken up by some kind of mercantile while the upper floors appear to be residential. Stopping at what appears to be a chandler, he leads you up a narrow staircase in the side alley to the apartments above.

"In here. In here. Come along. Quickly now! Please hurry!"

Dragging the four of you into a smaller bedroom with two child sized beds and toys scattered around, he shuts the door and says loudly, "They're all here! I brought them!"

Steeling himself, he takes a deep breath, closes his eyes, and points to his right cheek with only a small wince. "Okay, get on with it. Give me what you've got."

It's obvious that the man genuinely expects you each to hit him four times, just like the letter said.

GameOfChampions
2017-01-04, 10:37 PM
I follow along more bemused and curious then anything until we get to the guys home. A small pang of sadness worms it's way into my heart, despite my best efforts. It was a lowly criminal that kidnapped children to get what they wanted. 'Though this seems like a weird request for criminal... maybe some crazy getting off to this.'

Either way the lithe women steps foward and throws out four quick hard jabs to his face, just trying go do it quickly.

Not sure if you want damage and or attack rolls. I got the vibe no cause this seems more fluff then anything but if I'm wrong I can roll in the OOC

Eldest
2017-01-05, 10:27 AM
Liliana looks at him quizzically. I... normally I hit people when the deserve it. She sighs, and makes a fist. Gods take it, fine. Making even me feel bad about this. She hits him four times, trying to avoid breaking anything, but not pulling the punches.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
All nonlethal damage. Congratulations, Rizban, you made a LE lady have a moral problem with this.

planswalker
2017-01-05, 11:05 AM
"If it'll help, sure."

Genna hits him four times just as he asked, pulling back her punches so that, while she makes contact with him, she doesn't actually hurt him. The other strangers seem content enough to actually assault a man because he asked, but the letter said only to "strike" four times with a fist. It never said she had to hurt him in the process.

Rizban
2017-01-06, 01:41 AM
Nicolaus also attacks the man as requested.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

The damage done, the man's face is bruised and bloody, though he manages to fall to his knees only after the final blow is struck. Wiping his eyes, he looks around the room expectantly. A moment passes... and nothing.

Another moment passes... and a susurrus slowly permeates the room as though countless distant conversations have invaded your very ears.

The door from the hallways bangs open! A boy of about 7 is bodily thrown through the air and into his father's chest, knocking both to the floor. A second later, an older girl steps through the doorway and promptly collapses onto her face in unconsciousness as the door slams shut behind her.

Eldest
2017-01-06, 07:57 AM
Lilian looks down at the man with a (to her) suprising amount of pity. He'd wanted his kids back, and he'd gotten them, she could respect that, but being forced into that situation... she was hopping mad. So when the door slammed shut on the hastily deposited kids, she rushed it after getting over her shock: somebody was going to pay.

planswalker
2017-01-06, 11:58 AM
Genna will cast cure light wounds once each on the man and his two children. If one of the children comes to, she'll ask them, "Hi, we're friends of your dad's who helped him get you back, and I need to know what you can tell us about what happened to you while you were gone."

[roll0]

Rizban
2017-01-06, 03:52 PM
Lilian looks down at the man with a (to her) suprising amount of pity. He'd wanted his kids back, and he'd gotten them, she could respect that, but being forced into that situation... she was hopping mad. So when the door slammed shut on the hastily deposited kids, she rushed it after getting over her shock: somebody was going to pay.She throws the door open to reveal an empty hallway. As far as she call tell, beyond this one room, the house is completely empty.

Genna will cast cure light wounds once each on the man and his two children. If one of the children comes to, she'll ask them, "Hi, we're friends of your dad's who helped him get you back, and I need to know what you can tell us about what happened to you while you were gone."The young boy is clearly unharmed and not in need of healing, but the man thanks you kindly anyway.

Upon turning the girl over, her reddish hair falls away from her shoulders to reveal a garish tattoo of sickly green and purple covering her left shoulder. Formed of crisscrossing lines and whorls, its basic design is not unlike a dragonmark, but it has none of the order and organization to it typical of such marks. As you watch, it pulsates with a faint light and seems to writhe on her skin before stretching and growing down her arm to the elbow and up her neck to mar her cheek.

planswalker
2017-01-07, 02:15 AM
If one of the children clearly didn't need the healing, Genna will not waste the magic for it.

Puzzled and vaguely troubled by the tattoo, Genna will study it and see if she can make out anything about it.

[roll0] - for the nature, and possibly the function of the tattoo, if any
[roll1] - in case this resembles any known arcane lore
[roll2] - possible random tidbits picked up from elsewhere that might be similar to this

GameOfChampions
2017-01-08, 12:34 AM
My eyes widen as the children were tossed into the room and I stand there shocked for a few seconds before I kneel down beside one of the others and the child with the expanding further on her body. "C-Can I help at all? Should we be taking these girl to a temple or something this looks... wrong."

Rizban
2017-01-08, 01:43 AM
Whatever this is, it looks like it is trying very hard to appear to be a dragonmark of some type, and that's the closest comparison you can determine. However, you are quite certain that it's not a dragonmark, at least not any type that you've ever heard of, not even an aberrant version. The patterns, colors, and ambient energies in this thing are just inherently wrong for a dragonmark, though it is obviously some kind of marking. When you add in that it seems to be more of a magical tattoo with some kind of scarification than a natural marking... you just aren't sure what to make of it at all... though you just can't shake the feeling that it's trying to be a dragonmark.

You've heard rumors of a group called the Cult of the Qal in the distant lands of the Empire of Seven Dragons that were declared heretics and exterminated with extreme prejudice by the Empire. Their only known crime was the attempt to create artificial dragonmarks; however, you believe that their work was purely theoretical. The political climate in the Empire, however, does not even permit thinking about creating new dragonmarks, and even aberrant marks are hunted down and brutally executed when they arise.

planswalker
2017-01-08, 04:12 AM
"I assume your daughter didn't have that mark on her when you last saw her?"

Rizban
2017-01-08, 04:23 AM
Through his tears, shock, and bruising, the man manages to stutter out, "N-No... Of c-course n-not..."

Eldest
2017-01-08, 08:42 AM
Maria stomps back into the room. They got away. She digs in her pocket and pulls out some change, probably about twice what he had given her and slaps it down on the nearest surface. I ain't gonna make you pay fer that. Hear anything more about those cursed pranksters, find me, and tell me. She struggles with herself briefly, before finally adding Please.

GameOfChampions
2017-01-08, 01:00 PM
Taking a more direct route I grab the fathers shoulder and shake him a bit. "Sir! Is there a temple nearby that could help your daughter? Or a mage of some sort you could trust?"

'I just had to be roped into this didn't I. I coulda been rolling gullible travelers in the market square but noooooooo. I had to go punch the guy in the face.' I blow a couple strands a stray hair out of my eyes irritably. I was irritated but I was here and I couldn't let the little girl suffer from this.

Rizban
2017-01-08, 05:13 PM
You are aware of the Temple District and the Mages' Quarter, either of which will have priests and other spellcasters available. The man indicates that he has no particular religious affiliation and knows no Mages personally as he gets both children into bed.

GameOfChampions
2017-01-08, 05:33 PM
I take another glance at the writhing tattoo then get up "All right I'm heading to the temple district to try and find a priest or someone to help. You guys are welcome to come along, I'm pretty new to the city."

I get up and start to run and lopping pace that I could keep up for a long time, trying to get to the Temple District and find a decently powerful cleric to come see the daughter.

planswalker
2017-01-09, 03:56 PM
Genna will follow along and suggest we try to the Temple to Bahamut. "Since we're dealing with a case of injustice and harm to the innocent, I'm sure they'd be interested."

Rizban
2017-01-09, 04:30 PM
Entering the Temple District, you find yourself just outside the temple of Pelor, which is surrounded by a thick, circular outer wall. A sense of power seems to linger in the air. The large front door to the temple stands open, which can be seen from the gate in the outer wall, revealing a large statue of Pelor sitting cross legged with open arms, welcoming his children into the temple. A golden sun the size of a troll tops the temple.

Barely a block away stands a temple quite the opposite of the grand temple of Pelor. The modest temple of Bahamut is simple and avoids the baroque and heavy ornamentations of many of the other temples. It seems to be made of rather plain stone, though the inside of the front door is inlaid with Bahamut's holy symbol, wrought in platinum, the only ornamentation visible on the outer temple.

The twin temples to Solaron and Minrhet are two blocks west and one north of Pelor. The one on the right features a bronze lantern-shaped building that seems to glow internally. The one on the left has a distinct draconic theme, showing chromatic and metallic dragons working together to build the land. The buildings are connected by a spiral tower above the street between them that mixes the two themes. A small shrine is located at each of the four most distant corners of the buildings, each shrine taking on its own unique characteristics.

Not far away, a great library stands in the district, the main doors watched over by priestesses in dark emerald green robes. The soaring gothic architecture, though beautiful, is devoid of any symbolism which might identify the order, nor do the priestesses wear or carry any type of common symbol or attempt to engage passersby as do the clergy of many of the other temples.

Hundreds of large and small temples, shrines, and small statues line every street as far as the eye can see dedicated to all manner of gods, goddesses, and pantheons. You doubt if there is any deity without some form of representation in this city district.

planswalker
2017-01-09, 05:43 PM
Provided that none of her companions object, Genna will go over to the temple to Bahamut and knock on the door.

Rizban
2017-01-09, 06:57 PM
A dragonborn woman with purplish scales shimmering with a faint aura of platinum light greets you at the already open door. Though her words have a veneer of friendliness, you can tell she wishes she were anywhere else but here right now.

"Welcome to the temple of Bahamut, may his wings ever cover you."

http://img12.deviantart.net/659f/i/2006/095/6/8/dragon_half_lady_by_qvi.png

Eldest
2017-01-09, 07:26 PM
Liliana, who had been following along somewhat in disbelief of herself, frowns. I think I'mma stay outside of the nice temple, thank ye. Try to see if any of m'bosses know about that tattoo thing.

Sønderjye
2017-01-09, 09:10 PM
Draggingthe four of you into a smaller bedroom with two child sized beds andtoys scattered around, he shuts the door and says loudly, "They'reall here! I brought them!"

Nicolaus' hand goes to his knife and helooks around trying to find whoever the man was speaking to. So itwas an ambush after all!

But then.. nothing? He was almost disappointed.

Thedamage done, the man's face is bruised and bloody, though he managesto fall to his knees only after the final blow is struck. Wiping hiseyes, he looks around the room expectantly. A moment passes... andnothing.

Nicolaus' eyes goes from the manshurting face and back to his bloody hands. He had expected the slightfeeling of disgust and pity when his knuckles connected to the man'sface but he was suprised that he would feel this level ofsatisfaction from the experience. A strange and unexpected feelingsurely. The wave of satisfaction were followed by a wave of guilt, heshouldn't be feeling satisfaction from that, right?

Thedoor from the hallways bangs open! A boy of about 7 is bodily thrownthrough the air and into his father's chest, knocking both to thefloor. A second later, an older girl steps through the doorway andpromptly collapses onto her face in unconsciousness as the door slamsshut behind her.

Nicolaus looks at the children insuprise. Why would the kidnapper give their hostages back so easily?Perhaps he could have understood it if the kidnapper had stated theirname such that people in the future could be thought of as”reliable”, but as is? 'What am I not seeing?'

Nicolaus studies Jenni trying to figure out why someone who have tied to organized crime not only went around healing strangers but whose knee-jerk reaction was to go to a church of a good god. Was the big lizard trying to earn their trust? He decides to leave the talking up to her for now.

planswalker
2017-01-09, 10:13 PM
A dragonborn woman with purplish scales shimmering with a faint aura of platinum light greets you at the already open door. Though her words have a veneer of friendliness, you can tell she wishes she were anywhere else but here right now.

"Welcome to the temple of Bahamut, may his wings ever cover you."

"We're here looking for someone who can help a man whose children were kidnapped and just returned to him. Though neither appears to have been seriously harmed, the daughter has a fresh tattoo on her that is just... wrong. Upon casual examination, my studies showed that the tattoo wanted to be a dragonmark, but it wasn't. Upon realizing that my spellcraft was showing that this tattoo seemed to have some sort of will of its own, I thought that this needed looking into by someone with a bit more magical power behind it than I had." Genna seemed to visibly calm as she spoke and the burden of this strange discovery was shared.

GameOfChampions
2017-01-10, 04:23 AM
I decide not to join Genna and start to look around the Temple district to try and find another temple that may fit the bill, I didn't think my god would fit the bill as much as Olidammara was enjoyable to follow. 'Hmmm couldn't hurt to try a couple different places. I don't need to tell them we're going to a few different places.'

After walking around I decide to try out the twin temples to Solaron and Minrhet, they looked draconic and welcoming enough. I head up into the draconic looking side and look around for someone.

Rizban
2017-01-10, 07:19 AM
"That sounds... important. I'll find a priest who can assist. Wait here."

She goes inside for a few moments before returning with a towering, green-scaled humanoid-shaped dragon in dark robes. Just over six feet tall, the dragonic creature would be even taller were it not somewhat stooped with age.

http://mornproductions.com/gitp/avb/GrDr.png

It stares at Genna for a few seconds before speaking to her, "What is it you want of me, little dragonborn?"

When you enter the temple, you immediately find yourself face to face with a red dragon nearly twice your size lounging in the middle of the walkway. It lifts its head and meets your gaze.

"Hello, human," it says, small puffs of smoke rising from its lips. "What brings you to the temple of dragons?"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/57/ae/68/57ae687ef12a0ec2be76bf682c87fd94.jpg

Having not stated he was leaving, Nicolaus remains with the man and his children while the others seek help among the priests. Probably for the best...

planswalker
2017-01-10, 08:27 AM
"Honored one, my companions and I were approached by a man who asked us to come with him. His children had been kidnapped and they would only be released if five specific people came to his house and hit him in the face. We obliged him and his children were returned. Normally, I would consider this a successful if somewhat strange way to help another and move on, but the girl had a tattoo freshly marked on her shoulder that was... wrong. It seemed almost like it was a dragonmark, but it was definitely artificial, recently placed and not a dragonmark. I just couldn't quite shake the feeling that it was trying to be a dragonmark, however. That was when it struck me that this thing was trying to be something. As in, someone inked a tattoo that had at least a rudimentary will of its onto a child's shoulder. Whatever kind of magic, ritual, or whatever this is, I was hoping that the eyes of someone more powerful and better versed in magic would better be able to decipher this. I... I admit that I am new to the faith and have only recently been reborn to the path. I hope I haven't overstepped my place by coming here."

Rizban
2017-01-10, 08:36 AM
"I see you did not bring the afflicted with you. ... That would have saved much time..."

planswalker
2017-01-10, 08:39 AM
"I... did not know if it would be safe to move her. Besides, she had just been reunited with her father. I didn't want to separate them. If you don't think there would be any harm in moving her, I'll have her father bring her here right away." If Genna seems a little over-eager to please this green stranger, it would be because she quite is.

Eldest
2017-01-10, 09:03 AM
Liliana just rolls her eyes, out of sight of the priest, and starts to trudge back towards the house. Quicker she got this little diversion over with, quicker she could find the bastards that did this and hurt them.

GameOfChampions
2017-01-10, 08:39 PM
My eyebrows shoot up, I don't know what I had been expecting but a dragon was not high on that list and I stammer a bit as I catch myself "I-I'm here looking for some information and possibly some help. A little girl has just been returned from a... kidnapping I think with a massive writhing draconic tattoo on her body. She doesn't seem well and I'm just looking for a way to try and help."

Rizban
2017-01-10, 11:46 PM
Liliana just rolls her eyes, out of sight of the priest, and starts to trudge back towards the house. Quicker she got this little diversion over with, quicker she could find the bastards that did this and hurt them.Liliana starts heading back to the house while the other three converse. Genna notices her turn back.

"I... did not know if it would be safe to move her. Besides, she had just been reunited with her father. I didn't want to separate them. If you don't think there would be any harm in moving her, I'll have her father bring her here right away." If Genna seems a little over-eager to please this green stranger, it would be because she quite is."Very well, we shall accompany you to see this girl." Turning to the dragonborn woman he motions for her to follow. "If you would, Blühende, please accompany us."

"As you command."

"Lead the way, little sister."

My eyebrows shoot up, I don't know what I had been expecting but a dragon was not high on that list and I stammer a bit as I catch myself "I-I'm here looking for some information and possibly some help. A little girl has just been returned from a... kidnapping I think with a massive writhing draconic tattoo on her body. She doesn't seem well and I'm just looking for a way to try and help."

"Intriguing. Perhaps I should come take a look."

He stands and stretches, revealing that he is clearly more than twice your size. A shudder works its way down his back as his form contorts and twists until he appears as no more than a human man, albeit a human male with bright red eyes and ostentatiously expensive clothing.

"Now, take me to this girl. I am... intrigued."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f8/bc/00/f8bc007a5134dc0f2434d061e8290771.jpg

Sønderjye
2017-01-11, 12:11 AM
Nicolaus simply stands and looks at the man's reunion as the others leave. There was something about how the man embraced his kid that resonated in him: "What did happen here? Who did this?" he asks.

Rizban
2017-01-11, 12:19 AM
The man looks completely distraught from the ordeal and simultaneously overjoyed to have his children back.

"I don't even know what happened. They went to bed, and then there was the sound of the door slamming in the middle of the night. I rushed upstairs, and they were gone! That note was on the floor just inside the room. I thought it was some kind of prank at first, but when I couldn't find them..."

The man starts to shake and forces back tears.

"I'm just glad you've brought them back to me."

Sønderjye
2017-01-11, 12:28 AM
Nicolaus kneels down and puts a hand on the man's back, giving him an empathic look. "Of course" he says contradiction his previous thoughts. Normally he would never had done something like this but now he found himself in the situation and figured he might as well get as much out of it as he could: "What's your name?" he asks in a friendly voice.

I suppose that a diplomacy is the correct roll here. Nicolaus isn't not trying to do anything in particular here, just get the man to like him and get some general infromation on the situation. Using one Inspiration Point to add a +3 to the roll. Taking 10 for 20

Rizban
2017-01-11, 12:33 AM
The man sniffs once then takes a deep breath.

"Martin. My name is Martin. Which one were you again? Nicolaus, right?"

Sønderjye
2017-01-11, 01:00 AM
Nicolaus sends Martin and encouraging smile. "It's alright Martin, your kids are back."

"Do you know who would have done something like this? Do you have any enemies or people who would wish you harm?"

Rizban
2017-01-11, 01:05 AM
"No, I don't. I don't even have any enemies I can think of, at least none who would do this..."

GameOfChampions
2017-01-11, 02:43 AM
I smile in relief as the dragon agrees to come examine the kid and start to turn to show him the way before stopping to check out the attractive man now in front of me, red hair did always do it for me. She waits for him to join her before looping her arm through his and giving him a bright smile.

"Thanks for coming it will be a big relief. I'll show you the way."

Sønderjye
2017-01-11, 12:52 PM
"What about enemies you don't think would do something like this? You're a merchant, right? Do you have any big competitors? Any big deals that you are competing for at the moment or that you recently won? Or anything strange that happened lately?"

planswalker
2017-01-11, 05:01 PM
Liliana starts heading back to the house while the other three converse. Genna notices her turn back.

"Very well, we shall accompany you to see this girl." Turning to the dragonborn woman he motions for her to follow. "If you would, Blühende, please accompany us."

"As you command."

"Lead the way, little sister."

Genna leads them back to the man's house. "Thank you for taking the time to listen to me about this. I apologize if I'm overly nervous talking to you, but I only recently found my way into Bahamut's light and I come from a very dark path before this."

Rizban
2017-01-11, 05:30 PM
You arrive back at the house to find it as you left it. When you enter, you find Nicolaus talking calmly with the man from earlier as his two children sleep.

I smile in relief as the dragon agrees to come examine the kid and start to turn to show him the way before stopping to check out the attractive man now in front of me, red hair did always do it for me. She waits for him to join her before looping her arm through his and giving him a bright smile.

"Thanks for coming it will be a big relief. I'll show you the way."

He seems to stiffen slightly as you take his arm but relaxes as he walks with you back to the house.

"What about enemies you don't think would do something like this? You're a merchant, right? Do you have any big competitors? Any big deals that you are competing for at the moment or that you recently won? Or anything strange that happened lately?""No, nothing like that. I don't know anyone who would do something like this. I mean, I'm just a clerk at a candle shop. I handle the paperwork. I don't even deal with customers.

The only thing out of the ordinary that's happened at all lately that I can think of is when Samuel broke the door. I had to replace it and buy a new knob. Oh! He also broke the window, and I had to put new glass in... and he left the wax shipment he was supposed to accept out int he sun, and it melted everywhere... I don't know what I'm going to do with that boy sometimes."

The man just shakes his head to clear his thoughts, though he's obviously glad to have his son back, you can tell the boy can be difficult sometimes.

Genna leads them back to the man's house. "Thank you for taking the time to listen to me about this. I apologize if I'm overly nervous talking to you, but I only recently found my way into Bahamut's light and I come from a very dark path before this."He waves a hand dismissively at you.

"Do not think of it. You have be reborn. Your past begins only from the moment of you hatching."

You arrive back at the house to find it as you left it. Layla has returned before you, and Nicolaus is speaking calmly with the man who asked for help.

planswalker
2017-01-11, 05:51 PM
"I have brought back two priests from the temple of Bahamut to look over the girl and see about that troubling tattoo."

Eldest
2017-01-11, 05:59 PM
Liliana waves over her shoulder at the two drqgonborn. Madame the Dragon has gotten Sir the Dragon to help. She speaks softly, not wanting to wake the kids. If they're up there'd be screaming and crying and questions. Best to let them sleep.

GameOfChampions
2017-01-11, 09:05 PM
I enter the room and gesture to the girl on the bed "Here's the girl I was telling you about... huh I never caught your name. Either way please check the affliction on her please. Let me know if I can help at all."

I nod politely as the others enter shortly after with a pair of dragonborn priests 'I hope no one gets upset we went to multiple temples...'

Rizban
2017-01-11, 10:50 PM
Liliana returns first to find Nicolaus and the man in quiet conversation as the two children sleep.

Just behind her arrives Genna and two draconic creatures.http://mornproductions.com/gitp/avb/GrDr.png

http://img12.deviantart.net/659f/i/2006/095/6/8/dragon_half_lady_by_qvi.pngThe female remains in the hall where she can clearly see into the room while the green-scaled male enters.

Giving a slight bow to the father, he says "Greetings, I am Visalth Untdu'ulrii, a priest of Bahamut. If I have your permission I would like to examine the afflicted child."

The father gives his assent, and Visalth begins to examine the tattoo.

As he performs his examination, Layla returns with a red haired man.https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f8/bc/00/f8bc007a5134dc0f2434d061e8290771.jpg

The man arrogantly sniffs. "It seems you've brought others here first. I can't say I find that very... pleasing."

With a look of derision, he shoulders his way in next to the girl's bed without even acknowledging the others in the room.

"Hmm... interesting."
"Indeed. I am not sure what to make of it either, Monnirkrein."
"I did not say I am ignorant of it! I merely stated it as interesting."
"As you say."
"Why not make yourself useful, old lizard, and cast a divination. That should solve this riddle easily enough."

Visalth turns to the group and gives a shrug.

"I can attempt to divine the nature of this if you so wish, but I'd be required to charge for any spellcasting I perform on your behalf beyond any but the most basic of healing..."

The father looks dejected as he admits, "I'm afraid that I do not have the money to pay for it..."

planswalker
2017-01-11, 11:03 PM
"Um, I don't have the money to pay for it, but I'd be willing to work for the church in whatever way I need to to cover the cost, if that works."

GameOfChampions
2017-01-11, 11:12 PM
My eyebrows raise, magical kidnappings and tattoos I may not understand but a hard bargin is always understood and I drop my hand to my purse "How much are you asking for?"

Rizban
2017-01-11, 11:40 PM
"Standard rates for a spell of the third circle, 150 gold plus the 25 for the special incense required. I shall also need a shallow bowl and, if possible, a cup of hot tea."

GameOfChampions
2017-01-11, 11:51 PM
Hmmm I didn't exactly like paying out this much money for some random little girl, I didn't mind helping out when all it took was punching a guy and grabbing a priest but this was gold now. On the other hand I did really want to know what was going on here and how someone knew my name already, it wasn't exactly healthy for business if someone could track your movements and know your name without you being aware of it at all...

"All right I'll pay the cost though I can't help you with the bowl or tea." I pull out the gold from my purse and pass it over to him.

Eldest
2017-01-12, 07:58 AM
Liliana grunts and starts to rummage through the man's kitchen for a bowl or tea, making sure not to make too much noise.

Sønderjye
2017-01-13, 10:40 AM
Nicolaus is suprised by the newcomers but after the initial suprise he relaxes. They didn't seem to have any hostile intentions.

Hmm, so the readheaded prettyboy has his fragile ego bruised. Nicolaus is careful about hiding his amusement. Really he liked working with types like those, their triggers were so straightforward.

His only reaction to the offer for money was a frown. What was all this ruckus about a tattoo? If they were trying to find out who did this why did they focus so much on a tattoo? He had yet to encounter a kidnapper who left his signature on his victims.

Nonetheless it was free information and the nine hells would freeze over before he would pass on that. Well, technically one or two of them were already but that was beside the point.

I'm guessing knowledge(local) for the two newcomers? I don't remember if the dragonborn template changes type.
Visalth: [roll0]
Readhead: [roll1]

Rizban
2017-01-14, 01:54 AM
Nicolaus is suprised by the newcomers but after the initial suprise he relaxes. They didn't seem to have any hostile intentions.

Hmm, so the readheaded prettyboy has his fragile ego bruised. Nicolaus is careful about hiding his amusement. Really he liked working with types like those, their triggers were so straightforward.

His only reaction to the offer for money was a frown. What was all this ruckus about a tattoo? If they were trying to find out who did this why did they focus so much on a tattoo? He had yet to encounter a kidnapper who left his signature on his victims.

Nonetheless it was free information and the nine hells would freeze over before he would pass on that. Well, technically one or two of them were already but that was beside the point.

I'm guessing knowledge(local) for the two newcomers? I don't remember if the dragonborn template changes type.
Visalth: [roll0]
Readhead: [roll1]
You neither recognize them nor discern much about them. However, given small telltale signs, you rightfully assume that neither one is nor has ever been a humanoid.

Hmmm I didn't exactly like paying out this much money for some random little girl, I didn't mind helping out when all it took was punching a guy and grabbing a priest but this was gold now. On the other hand I did really want to know what was going on here and how someone knew my name already, it wasn't exactly healthy for business if someone could track your movements and know your name without you being aware of it at all...

"All right I'll pay the cost though I can't help you with the bowl or tea." I pull out the gold from my purse and pass it over to him.Visalth calmly pockets the money and takes a seat on the ground next to the girl's bed, awaiting the rest of the supplies needed. As he waits, he sets up a small, ornate bronze pot on the floor and carefully measures several herbs and other items into it. Flicking a spark into it, the whole mixture begins to smolder and release a heavy, cloying smoke.

Liliana grunts and starts to rummage through the man's kitchen for a bowl or tea, making sure not to make too much noise.The father accompanies Liliana, edging past the newcomers with only a muttered thanks. He tells her where the bowls are kept as he puts a pot of hot water over the fire. A few minutes later, he pours a cup and drops a few dried tea leaves into it to take back to the priest.

"Thanks to you," says the draconic priest as he takes a long sip of the tea, savoring it a moment before swallowing. "I will now begin."

He begins to chant softly to himself as he casts the spell. Continuing for ten long minutes, the tension builds as the spellcasting continues. Just as it reaches the point where you feel you can wait no longer, Visalth snatches up the incense urn and pours the smoldering incense into the bowl, spreading it around with a claw. Satisfied, he uses the same claw to slash open the palm of his other hand and let the blood flow into the incense. With a final gesture, he dumps the now cold glass of tea in, for good measure, and then throws the entire contents up into the air.

As the mess splatters on the floor in front of him, he begins to carefully examine the patterns it has created.

"Hmm... Yes, I see. I do not... wait. Er. I think. No... Yes. The girl is... but the one who... I see... What? What is that? I...

NO! NO! Get away! Away! By Bahamut's holy name, begone!"

Visalth writhes on the floor in agony as he shouts and tries to cast a protective charm. Spitting blood, he gasps for air and then falls still. Visalth is dead.

Eldest
2017-01-14, 09:31 AM
Liliana blinks down at him in shock. Can castin' spells do that?

Sønderjye
2017-01-14, 10:15 AM
NO! NO! Get away! Away! By Bahamut's holy name, begone!"

Nicolaus takes a step closer to the window. Something bad was going to happen and calling out one's diety's name only helped in stories. Dieties didn't really care about mortals. If they did how could the flood have happened?

Visalth writhes on the floor in agony as he shouts and tries to cast a protective charm. Spitting blood, he gasps for air and then falls still. Visalth is dead.

Nicolaus utters the words of magic and in one smooth motion he opens his mind's eye. He pay particular attention to the redhead who had given the impression that there was some feud going on between him and the now dead reptile.

Spellcraft to learn what magic afflicted Visalth. Not really expecting to learn anything but it's worth a shot. [roll0]

Nicolaus Casts Detect Magic. Feel free to roll relevant spellcraft checks. Modifier is 13.

planswalker
2017-01-14, 04:07 PM
Genna just stares in shock as the holy man dies from investigating this. Suddenly all her fears seem not quite so paranoid.

"Um, no, Lilliana, casting that kind of spell is not supposed to do that. That spell attracted the attention of someone or something dangerous." She wracks her brain to see if she recalls any stories about divinations causing similar results.

[roll0]

Eldest
2017-01-14, 04:59 PM
Liliana, much more mundanely, shrugs and starts to pat the corpse down, taking the coin back first and flipping the pouch back to the donator. Yer gonna need that more than him. So. Options? I reckon we ain't dead people yet, on account of not havin' looked at that mark thing with magic. But I'm thinkin' that this wasn't a prank or nothing. She remains crouched by the body while people talk.

Rizban
2017-01-14, 09:33 PM
Nicolaus casts detect magic, detecting that there are indeed magical auras in the area, not counting any on the four of you. The red-haired man sneers at him and casts a spell of his own. All but one of the magical auras in the room instantly wink out, and, despite his best efforts, Nicolaus' magic reveals only that the red-haired man is, in fact, the discarded teacup.
Nicolaus takes a step closer to the window. Something bad was going to happen and calling out one's diety's name only helped in stories. Dieties didn't really care about mortals. If they did how could the flood have happened?

Nicolaus utters the words of magic and in one smooth motion he opens his mind's eye. He pay particular attention to the redhead who had given the impression that there was some feud going on between him and the now dead reptile.

Spellcraft to learn what magic afflicted Visalth. Not really expecting to learn anything but it's worth a shot. [roll0]

Nicolaus Casts Detect Magic. Feel free to roll relevant spellcraft checks. Modifier is 13.
By my understanding, detect magic will have no effect on the death, as it wasn't cast until after he was dead. As such, based on your Spellcraft check:
You do not identify any spell being cast, as you do not witness any verbal or somatic components nor see/detect any effects of the spell beyond, "He's dead, Jim."
Your check was not high enough to "understand a strange or unique magical effect".
After casting detect magic, there are no lingering auras related to the effect that you can discern.

Genna is aware that there are legends of particularly powerful wards on places of power that harm anyone attempting to scry on them; however, she is not particularly aware of anything related to simply casting a divination. To her arcane understanding, it should have only produced a simple, if somewhat cryptic, phrase.

The draconic woman in the hall, kicks the partially closed door open the rest of the way.
"Who? What? How?!"

Not waiting for an answer, she grabs Nicolaus, who happens to be the nearest person by the front of his shirt, roughly lifting them unto their toes.

"What. Did. You. Do?! Answer me now, or I'll kill you!"

Sønderjye
2017-01-14, 10:48 PM
Liliana, much more mundanely, shrugs and starts to pat the corpse down, taking the coin back first and flipping the pouch back to the donator.

The corner of Nicolau's mouth briefly twitches in what potentially could have turned into a smile by a less practiced merchant. No hessitations, huh? She isn't even pretending to feel bad about stealing from the dead. He found the bruntness refreshing.

The red-haired man sneers at him and casts a spell of his own. All but one of the magical auras in the room instantly wink out, and, despite his best efforts, Nicolaus' magic reveals only that the red-haired man is, in fact, the discarded teacup.

"Why did you..." Nicolaus starts out looking confused at the unindentified red-haired mage but stops promptly as the door is kicked in.

"What. Did. You. Do?! Answer me now, or I'll kill you!"

Previously that day Nicolaus had thought that his life didn't matter. The destruction of his warehouses, of his life work, had taken away all his fighting spirit and during the past days when he had been slugging through the streets aimlessly, to keep the illusion towards his son that everything still was fine, he had genuinely thought he wanted to die.

However standing, well dangling really, in front of a furious, overgrown, probably fire-breathing, lizard being threatened with that very thing, he was proven wrong. He didn't want to die!

"I... Nothing! How could I..." as the words left his mouth he knew that they were weak. There was no chance that something like that would convince someone who just lost the person they were supposed to protect. He needed something more.

'Divert attention' an old advice of his grandfather rings in his head. "Him!" he points his finger towards the red-haired man. "He was the one who told Visalth to cast the spell!"

It wasnt really a lie. Later he would convince himself that he had made the cowardly move in order to keep on taking care of his son, however in truth, on this very moment, the only thing on his mind was getting away those murderous eyes and the claws near his throat.

Spellcraft to learn what the guy were casting to stop Nicolaus magic: [roll0]

Thanks for the insight. The detect magic wasn't intended to reveal anything about the death per say, more so it was a knee jerk reaction on something magical happening that Nicolaus couldn't see.
I assume that it breaks concentration to suddenly and unexpectantly be lifted of the ground by an angry dragonlady. :smallbiggrin:

planswalker
2017-01-14, 11:12 PM
"The elder one was casting a simple divination to try and learn more about the tattoo, and at first it looked like it was working. Then he started acting as if someone was interfering with the spell. He called out 'by Bahamut's holy name, begone!' and then started writhing in pain and died. I'm so sorry for this. If I'd known that something like this would happen from trying to investigate that tattoo, I would never have asked him to risk himself."

[roll0]

Rizban
2017-01-15, 12:24 AM
She looks back and forth a few times, audibly gritting her teeth in anger. The red-haired man just shrugs nonchalantly, obviously unconcerned with her wrath.

She glares for a moment, then lets out a grunt of disgust as she throws Nicolaus back away from her, practically knocking him to the floor.

"Out of my way."

Kneeling before the fallen, she hefts Visalth from the ground and carries him out of the house without another word, taking one last second to glare hatefully at Nicolaus as she passes him.

"Well, that was... fun."

planswalker
2017-01-15, 12:30 AM
"So, what should we do now? That tattoo on the girl's shoulder is clearly dangerous. Has anyone thought to ask the man if he knows anything behind why his kids were kidnapped?"

Eldest
2017-01-15, 10:57 AM
Liliana shrugs: you get the feeling she doesn't talk much, and is fairly uncomfortable with the situation. Alls I got is I punched a guy who didn't deserve it and his kids came back, one with a deadly trick on them. She stands up and shuffles over to the kitchen to make herself some tea. Also got a headache.

GameOfChampions
2017-01-15, 02:06 PM
I catch the purse Lilliana throws to me and slip it back into my pokers without conciousnthought. I'm too busy thinking about the dead body. The ends of my mouth though threaten to turn into a smirk as I hear Lilliana and her bit on magic.

'Just another reason to stick with these I guess.' I think as I touch one of my scimitar for comfort. I look over at the dragon turned man "So what the hell was that?"

Sønderjye
2017-01-15, 02:22 PM
Nicolaus falls to all 4 as he is dropped. His hands reach to his throat as if the chilling feeling of the hard claw would disappear if he just covered his throath throughly enough. In the back of his head he feels slight annoyance that the other so casually continue their conversation after his near death experience.

That however is overshadowed by first one and then another thought. I'm alive! The realization hits him with the strength a minotaur's hammer. He feels a surge of energy through his body like something he has never experienced. Then in an instant all the energy disappears. What had he done?! If the dragonlady had been afraid of taking action against the red-haired guy, with her strength, he had to be either extremely powerful or insanely important. Either way he had just made a giant mistake. If his thoughts had been clearer he would have cursed himself for not being throughly enough in his research and failing to recognize the man, however as is his only thoughts conserns an expectations that the man will latch out now that the Bahamut-followers are gone.

Every muscle in his body tenses as he readies to throw himself out of the window if he gets the impression that the guy is casting a spell.

Rizban
2017-01-16, 07:03 PM
The father is still in the kitchen, and the red-haired man seems engrossed with staring at the tattoo for the moment.

In other words, I'm still waiting on player input. I'm not going to force things forward until I'm sure no one is going to do something, such as respond to the questions asked by the other party members...

Eldest
2017-01-16, 07:50 PM
Liliana returns from the kitchen, blowing on her tea. I dunno. I've got the smallest amount of magic you could call there and still have somethin', and I ain't never studied it. Couldn't tell you what that she gestures with the tea was. I might know somebody who does, but after he died lookin', I'm not so sure I want to ask an employer to look outta the charity of his heart.

planswalker
2017-01-16, 11:12 PM
"Well, we need to be doing something here."

Genna will head to the kitchen and ask the father, "Do you know of any reason why someone would want to target you or your children like this?"

Rizban
2017-01-17, 12:49 AM
The father just shakes his head sadly.

"I really have no idea. None whatsoever..."

GameOfChampions
2017-01-17, 01:47 AM
I click my tongue irritated, this was getting much more convoluted then I wanted when I agreed to help. Maybe it was time to take a more active approach. I eye the fathers direction and sidle closer to the others and speak in a lower voice just to be sure. "Why don't we just take her? Obviously she isn't safe here if she can be kidnapped and she has something wrong with her that we can try to figure out by maybe finding who took her or having it examined by possibly more powerful priests who are more knowledgeable."

planswalker
2017-01-17, 03:11 AM
The father just shakes his head sadly.

"I really have no idea. None whatsoever..."

"Well, do you have any enemies? People who don't like you?" If he indicates in the negative, she'll press on with, "Did you notice anything strange or unusual in the days just before they were kidnapped?"

Rizban
2017-01-17, 04:42 AM
"Well, do you have any enemies? People who don't like you?" If he indicates in the negative, she'll press on with, "Did you notice anything strange or unusual in the days just before they were kidnapped?"

"No, nothing at all... It was just business as usual. Go to work, go home, feed the kids, sleep.

Samuel has been with me for the most part, what with his apprenticeship and all.
Calla is... well, she's been here. This is the first time she's been out of the house in awhile..."

planswalker
2017-01-17, 12:31 PM
"What does she normally do whrn you're out?"

Sønderjye
2017-01-17, 03:09 PM
Noticing that the red-haired man does not pay attention to him Nicolaus relaxes. He colapses onto his butt and leans towards the wall. It didn't really seem like the red-haired man found his diversion of particular importance.

Nicolaus takes a deep breath to steady himself. Someone had taken the inconvinience to kidnap two children and had known that this would get the man to express the right ammount of emotions to convince the group to band together in this house. Or at least known all four well enough that they would come with this prepared. Yet they hadn't been ambushed or otherwise impeeded from leaving the house and get help. And Nicolaus didn't know of any connection between the four.

There was something scary about the whole situation. Mostly because there weren't a logical reason as to the motivations behind this.

The kidnapper had known magic strong that Nicolaus hadn't heart about, at least without resorting to magic and had use this. The immediate conclusion was that anyone who used divination to learn about the mark or the diviner would suffer the same fate. But it was also possible that the house itself were enchanted to disallow divinations or, and less likely, it was intended to isolate them and tell them that help from outside weren't allowed.

At any rate there shouldn't be any danger in the idea he had in mind. Hopefully.

Nicolaus gets up, excuses himself, leaves the house and once outside he finds a discrete place and calls upon the magic of the word and the weave to enlighten himself.

Rizban
2017-01-17, 08:31 PM
"Do? She doesn't do anything. Ever since her illness as a child, she hasn't spoken nor even moved on her own unless someone is there to move her. My wife took care of her until she died a few years back... Now, I just have to trust and pray that she'll be alright while I'm at work and care for her when I come home."

planswalker
2017-01-17, 10:36 PM
A comatose girl makes for a very peculiar convert. The pieces to this puzzle were not adding up.

"If you don't mind, please describe for me the day that your children disappeared. I'm trying to re-create what happened to glean any clues as to who did this so we can stop them from doing it again."

Rizban
2017-01-17, 11:47 PM
"Woke up at the usual time and made breakfast for us. I tried to feed Calla her breakfast, but I don't know if I got her enough. I worry about that sometimes. Samuel just can't sit still, so I was distracted trying to get him to shut up, sit down, and eat for a change. The boy refuses to eat all day then cries about being starving before bed and then just eats, and eats, and eats. I never get enough sleep...

Anyway, I force fed the two of them, got Calla into her favorite chair with her blanket, and headed to work, dragging Samuel along with me. Fortunately, I work just downstairs here, so... I got him to his apprenticeship, wish he'd just grow up some already, and then go to work on the books. We were running low on tallow and unslaked lime and were two days past due on the beeswax shipment that was supposed to come in. Turns out the beeswax had arrived the day before, and Samuel accepted the crate but left it on the back step in the sun all day, fool of a boy, causing it to melt and run in the summer heat. Ended up losing a good portion of it, but there's enough left to fill the order... with no profits to speak of. So, I then called a courier to carry orders for tallow and limestone to the slaughterhouse and quarrier we use.

Took Samuel home when the day was done, fed the kids, bathed Calla, then rehung their bedroom door and installed the new knob. I read Calla her nightly scriptures while Samuel complained, as usual, then put them both to bed. I sat and watched as the last of the fire burned out and had a small nightcap. After that, I headed to bed.

It was.. It was later that night I awoke and f-found them missing... the note on the floor of their room."

planswalker
2017-01-18, 01:49 AM
"Did you notice anyone unusual that day? Perhaps a stranger who lingered around on the edge of things a bit longer than normal?"

Rizban
2017-01-18, 01:51 AM
"No, as I've told the others, I don't downloaded even deal with the customers. I work in the office in the back..."

planswalker
2017-01-18, 02:25 AM
Seeing that the man is pointless to try to probe further for any useful information, Genna returns to the others and says, "Well, the father knows nothing and saw nothing. Did anyone else come across anything at all?"

Rizban
2017-01-18, 02:30 AM
The red-haired man turns and says, "Well, I've learned all I'm likely to here, and the girl is clearly beyond my present means to help. I'll confer with my temple to see if anything can be done for her. Good luck, don't die."

With that, he turns and leaves the home. A minute later, you hear shouts in the street and the beating of large wings as a gust of wind rattles the glass in the windows.

Rizban
2017-01-18, 02:53 AM
The problem is not one of not knowing what it might be that killed the draconic man so much as there being just too many possibilities! It could have been anything from a contingent spell crafted into the tattoo, to a direct attack from one of his enemies, to an incredibly ill timed heart attack, to accidentally communing with the Far Realms and having his psyche warped and torn from his body.

Perhaps a curse or illusion of some sort? After all, the man seemed to see something, but no one else did. Then again, he was casting divination at the time, so he was expecting to receive some sort of sensory input that others would not be able to sense. Nicolaus is inclined to believe that the death was the result of a spell effect of some sort, but having not witnessed any spell effects beyond watching the man die, he just doesn't have enough information to come to an accurate conclusion. Of course, there's always the option of casting a few divination spells to try to determine who is responsible...

That's probably a bad idea...

planswalker
2017-01-18, 03:02 PM
Genna will poke her head out the door to see what's going on.

Rizban
2017-01-18, 03:05 PM
Geena sees those nearby gawking up at the sky. Looking up, she sees a huge red dragon winging its way to the west.

planswalker
2017-01-18, 03:27 PM
"Um... there's a dragon outside."

edit:

Seeing as no one else seems to be responding, Genna will step outside and follow the path that the dragon took.

Eldest
2017-01-20, 08:03 AM
There's a what? Liliana goes to the door and peers upward, jogging after Genna. No reason not to stick with other people for the moment.

Rizban
2017-01-22, 04:11 AM
Sorry to godmod a little bit, but I'm just throwing this out there to keep you from going off in the wrong direction without a good reason.

Just making a quick post to let the game keep moving. I'll get something substantive up Sunday afternoon.

Layla hurries to the door behind the others. As she looks up to the sky, she recognizes the dragon as it flies away.

"That's um... what did the priest say his name was? Monnirkrein, I think. The red-haired man who just left. He's a dragon from the temple of Minrhet. I guess he decided not to walk back to the temple."

Eldest
2017-01-22, 08:16 AM
That guy was a dragon? They can do that? Liliana is bewildered. Dragons are supposed to breath fire and be giant and scaly, not be normal-sized people.

planswalker
2017-01-22, 10:10 AM
"I'd heard that some dragons can take on humanoid form. Didn't know that there were dragons in the Temple District.

So, at this point, I think we can all agree that we stepped into something a lot bigger than we realized. I for one am not so confident that whatever it is will just ignore us if we leave it alone. After all, those same people who put the tattoo on that little girl did call out each of us by name in that letter. I think it would be better for us to stick together for the moment rather than risk getting picked off one at a time. I've been staying with the Sisters of Salvation. We could head there for now, I guess. Unless one of you knows a more secure place we could stop and compare notes?"

Sønderjye
2017-01-22, 03:22 PM
Nicolaus arrives back to the house just in time to see the dragon fly away. He looks confused for a moment but nods in understanding hearing the words of the others.

"I share similar conserns and agree that it would be good to share what we know this far. Perhaps this would also be a good time to introductions. My name is Nicolaus."

Eldest
2017-01-22, 03:51 PM
Liliana purses her lips, before nodding. Workin' with others is better than tryin' this alone, yeah. I'm Liliana. Thinkin' we should also say what we do, so I can cause some bad luck and kill things good. And I ain't got anyplace secure to go to, my apartment's a dump and you don't want to hide in the sewers.

planswalker
2017-01-22, 08:02 PM
"I'm Genna Verywhere. I have a diverse skillset which includes social, academic, and acrobatic uses. I also dabble in magic a little bit. Probably the most notable thing I can do is inspire myself and my allies to fight with the fire of dragons. Literally.

Good to meet all of you. Shall we head over to the Sisters of Salvation now?"

Assuming that no one objects, Genna will lead the group towards the Sisters of Salvation.

Rizban
2017-01-22, 09:10 PM
Layla interjects that she's had quite enough of this frustrating nonsense. It doesn't concern her, and she'd rather go about her business. So, she excuses herself and disappears into the crowd in the direction opposite the party.

Your trio starts to walk down the street but barely makes it any distance at all before they hear a commotion coming from the nearby shop. You hear two men shouting at one another, and although you can't make out the words, they're clearly very angry. A woman's scream pierces your ears seconds before the door is kicked open from inside and a man dressed as a merchant backs out of it, dragging the woman behind him, a knife to her throat.

planswalker
2017-01-22, 10:36 PM
"Sir, stop!" Genna calls out to the man with the knife.

Sønderjye
2017-01-22, 11:00 PM
"I'd like to wait with sharing my skillset until we are somewhere a little more private."

If I can make a knowledge check retroactively Nicolaus agrees to go immediately. Otherwise he excuses himself with wanting to check on the girl one more time before leaving and walks up to study the tattoo
[roll0]. This is assuming Arcane, if that is not the case feel free to apply the appropriate modifier.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" he says to Layla with a frown. "Someone knew all our names and wanted us to see that for a reason."

'Yeah, cause that is sure to work', Nicolaus drily comments to himself. He takes a step back and studies the man.

Local Knowledge to recognize the man [roll1]
And the woman [roll2]

Standard action: Sense Motive to assess how dangerous the man is to the group. [roll3]. If you're unfamiliar with that use it's from Complete Adventurer pg. 102, it's opposed to a bluff check.

Eldest
2017-01-24, 07:35 PM
Liliana reaches out for the man's mind. Can you not? Word of friendly advice. If you take a hostage, you need an exit plan. I'm thinkin' you don't have one. Now you're stuck. Can't stay here forever. Can't kill her cuz then you'd be dead right after. She raises a hand and taps on her polearm. So I'm asking you to do the smart thing, and put the knife down, afore you get run through.

Before the little speech, Charm Monster. DC 16 will save, I believe?

Rizban
2017-01-25, 11:49 AM
The man spins around and shoves the woman towards you.

"Take her. I don't want her."

As the woman stumbles in your way, the man turns and runs down the street. He uncorks a small glass bottle as he runs, emptying the contents over his head and causing the overpowering scent of expensive perfume to fill the air.

Reaching the next intersection, the man runs right into the center of it, to the angry shouts of those trying to use the road.

"Glacies elegit me," shouts the man, "and victory is mine!"

Eldest
2017-01-25, 12:20 PM
Liliana catches the lady, going into a mock bow as soon as she's upright and stable. M'lady. She then turns to the others, unconcerned with the knife-man now that he's out of her immediate area. So we were talkin' 'bout planning?

planswalker
2017-01-25, 05:22 PM
"Yes. That tattoo on the girl's arm is a clear indicator that whatever's going on, it is far more than a mere group of kidnappers. That tattoo wanted to be a dragonmark. Yes, I mean that the thing seemed to have a will of its own. Whatever that this is, nothing good comes from giving things like tattoos a will of their own and sticking them on random children. I don't know what to do next, but I doubt we've seen the last of this kind of stuff. Especially since the people who kidnapped those kids called each of us out by name."

Sønderjye
2017-01-26, 09:49 AM
"I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the tattoo is merely a distraction just yet."

"I too am conserned about that they had our names and wanted us specifically. Whoever is behind this didn't just want random strangers to come, they wanted us specifically. I suggest that we try to find a connection when we are at the Sisters."

Knowing that the two other have some altruistic tendencies Nicolaus decides that it couldn't help to pretend that he was similar, at least when there weren't anything to lose. He walks over to Liliana, tries to catch the eyes of the lady who was about as close to death as he were earlier the same day and ask: "What happened?"

Rizban
2017-01-26, 08:33 PM
"I'd like to wait with sharing my skillset until we are somewhere a little more private."

If I can make a knowledge check retroactively Nicolaus agrees to go immediately. Otherwise he excuses himself with wanting to check on the girl one more time before leaving and walks up to study the tattoo
[roll0]. This is assuming Arcane, if that is not the case feel free to apply the appropriate modifier.
Whatever this is, it looks like it is trying very hard to appear to be a dragonmark of some type, and that's the closest comparison you can determine. However, you are quite certain that it's not a dragonmark, at least not any type that you've ever heard of, not even an aberrant version. The patterns, colors, and ambient energies in this thing are just inherently wrong for a dragonmark, though it is obviously some kind of marking. When you add in that it seems to be more of a magical tattoo with some kind of scarification than a natural marking... you just aren't sure what to make of it at all... though you just can't shake the feeling that it's trying to be a dragonmark. You can't make any sense of what it is or what it's meant to do. It's simply too disorganized to be meaningful. The only thing positive you can say about is that, ignoring the sickly color, the pattern is slightly more pleasing to the eye than most dragonmarks tend to be...

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" he says to Layla with a frown. "Someone knew all our names and wanted us to see that for a reason."

'Yeah, cause that is sure to work', Nicolaus drily comments to himself. He takes a step back and studies the man.

Local Knowledge to recognize the man [roll1]
And the woman [roll2]

Standard action: Sense Motive to assess how dangerous the man is to the group. [roll3]. If you're unfamiliar with that use it's from Complete Adventurer pg. 102, it's opposed to a bluff check.[/QUOTE]You fail to immediately recognize the man, and in the chaos of the happenings, you do not successfully Spot anything significant about his person. He seems to be middle class an in his early 40s, clean shaven with slightly graying hair.

The woman seems like an average middle class woman, also in her early 40s. She wears a nice, if somewhat simple, dress but no adornments or jewelry to speak of beyond a simple, gold wedding band.

Collapsing into Liliana, the woman barely keeps her feet. She quickly rights herself and looks around in panic until she spots the man who held her at knife point. Desperately lunging towards the man with outstretched hands, she begs you for help, "Stop him! He's going to kill himself! Please don't let my husband die!"

You look towards the man just in time to see him strike a tindertwig and attempt to set his shirt on fire. The tindertwig sputters and dies, but the man digs another out of his pocket...

planswalker
2017-01-27, 12:45 AM
Genna will move towards the man and, assuming she can get within 90 feet with a move action, break into a lilting, otherworldy melody to fascinate the man and try to distract him from further self-harm. Should the man be caught in the fascination, Genna will layer the second stanza with a suggestion that the man lay on the ground and cease further self-harm. Should all that be successful, she will approach him slowly as she maintains the fascinating melody.

will save versus perform check for fascinate: [roll0]

if the man is fascinated, Genna gets a free suggestion at dc 16

Rizban
2017-01-27, 01:53 AM
The intersection is only about 100 feet away, so getting within range is not difficult for Genna.

The man stops and stares confusedly at Genna as the music reaches his ears. Something about the song catches on the edges of his memory as he tries to bring back the stirring thought that seems just beyond his grasp. The unlit tindertwig drops from his fingers into the mud at his feet. As Genna's suggestion reaches him, he glances down at the ground as the hand that was holding the tindertwig grasps spasmodically at the air. A queer look crosses his face as if he's trying to reconcile several contradictory ideas and once, he knees start to buckle slightly, but he shakes his head to clear his thoughts and remains standing as he intently listens.

Sønderjye
2017-01-27, 03:17 PM
"Impressive" Nicolaus says, mostly to himself. He knew about the power of music but it was rare that he saw it with his own eyes.

With the man being momentarily prevented from harming himself Nicolaus turns back to the woman and repeats his previous question: "What happened?"

planswalker
2017-01-27, 07:00 PM
Genna will continue to maintain the fascinating song while motioning for Liliana to approach the man in a non-threatening manner. She herself will approach him slowly while she continues the strange, almost-eerie tune.

Eldest
2017-01-28, 12:21 AM
Liliana points at herself in shock. Me? After a few more urgent gestures, she'll go over to the man, looking completely lost. Hey, uh... would you mind. Uh. Not hurting people or yourself? I think? That is the problem, right? Looking at Genna with the last comment.

planswalker
2017-01-28, 01:16 AM
Now that one of her companions is close enough to the man to intervene should the man try something else, Genna will drop the song and say, "Yes, sir. Whatever is going on, there has to be a better way to resolve this." as she closes the distance.

Rizban
2017-02-03, 04:03 PM
"But... but I have to... I don't have a choice," the man manages to say plaintively.

planswalker
2017-02-03, 06:17 PM
"Why not?" Genna did not like how similar this setup was sounding to the one they had just resolved.

Rizban
2017-04-30, 12:42 AM
"My son disappeared before my very eyes, and this ritual is the only way to return him! I may have died, but my son would live!"

He curls into a fetal position and begins to weep as he realizes he will be unable to complete the ritual.

planswalker
2017-04-30, 02:09 PM
"Did you see the ones who did this?"

Rizban
2017-04-30, 08:09 PM
He just continues to lay there as he weeps over his lost son.

The woman approaches and gently lays a hand on your shoulder and manages a choked answer.
"We were heading to temple a few days ago. Our son ran out the door first, slamming it behind him as he always does. We were only seconds behind, but he was nowhere. Just... gone..."

Eldest
2017-04-30, 09:02 PM
This is, believe it or not, not the first time we've heard that story today. Liliana grimaces.

planswalker
2017-04-30, 10:15 PM
"If you can share as many details as you can, we will do our best to find your son and bring those responsible to justice. I see a pattern emerging which simply cannot be ignored." Genna does her best to sound soothing and confident though neither felt native to her right now. Something very wrong was going on.

[roll0]

Sønderjye
2017-04-30, 11:01 PM
Nails stares at the man unable to comprehend what just happened. The man had been trying to kill himself for a relative?

The Elan turns to face the wife. His face reveals under the hood. A greenish scar runs over his left eye in addition a number of other smaller scars. Most of his body is covered in clothing and he has a high quality shield strapped to his left arm. His sleeves ends in fingerless gloves revealing hand that once were garnished with nails but now lacks that feature. The right side of his mouth goes up in an upwards uncomfortably looking angle but it doesn't seem to interfere with his voice as he asks in a suprisingly deep voice for his build: "Who told him that killing himself would bring his son back?"

Rizban
2017-05-02, 10:11 PM
Before the man can respond, you hear a gruff shout.

"Out of the way! Official Watch business!"

Four City Watchmen shove past you and roughly grab them man.

"This one, eh? Smells right," says the lead man as he seeks confirmation from the robbed shop owner.

As the shopkeeper gives confirmation, the Watchmen slap manacles on the man's wrists and start to drag him off, the man still mostly insensate.

The man's wife approaches and places a hand on Genna's shoulder while chewing nervously on her bottom lip.

planswalker
2017-05-03, 12:11 AM
"Officer, if you don't mind, may I ask what he stole? I suspect that this man is being manipulated by some outside force."

Rizban
2017-05-03, 12:34 AM
The officer waves you off. "Move along. You're interfering in official Watch business."

Another of the Watchmen fingers his manacles as he watches you.

"I'll tell you what he stole!" interjects the shopkeeper, waving his hands in the air wildly. "He stole a two ounce bottle of Saffillion Oil. Two Ounces! Then he just... just... poured it out!!"

planswalker
2017-05-03, 11:55 AM
"If I were to pay for what the man took, would it be possible for me to take this man into my custody? While I know that you're unlikely to accept my speculation as proof, I believe that something very serious is going on and this man is an important key to this puzzle. I have already used my music to subdue this man once, and this was the reason why the Watch was able to apprehend him before he immolated himself. I will guarantee that this man will cause no more trouble on my watch."

[roll0]

Rizban
2017-05-03, 05:01 PM
"By the gods! That would be a miracle I couldn't refuse! That bottle was ordered and paid for by the Archduke as a wedding gift for the princess. I'm ruined if I can't provide it! If you can come up with that much coin... I'll do almost anything you ask!

The Archduke paid 110,000 gold for that order. I gave him a discount too, because he's going to be king soon."

planswalker
2017-05-03, 10:08 PM
"Alas, no. I am not so wealthy as to be able to afford that. Would I be able to visit the man in jail before he is sentenced to try and gain any information related to my investigation?"

Why couldn't the desperate lunatic have just stolen some common lantern oil to light himself on fire with? Why did it have to be some of the most overpriced damn oil in existence? she thought to herself

Rizban
2017-05-05, 02:52 AM
"Then I am ruined! My reputation is wasted, and I'll go to debtors' prison for sure..."

The shopkeeper sullenly returns to his shop.

Unsure of what to do, the arrested man's wife glances around furtively and turns to follow the guards leading away her husband.

planswalker
2017-05-05, 03:26 PM
Seeing no better options at this point and still wanting to get in a more full conversation with the man who tried to light himself on fire to save his child, Genna follows as well.

Eldest
2017-05-05, 05:46 PM
Liliana sighs, exasperated, but hurries after the other woman. Hard luck for the shopkeeper. Teach him to not have insurance.

planswalker
2017-05-05, 09:36 PM
Turning to the man's wife as the two of them follow the guards, Genna asks, "What's your perspective on this incident? Did you witness the note that told your husband to do this?"

Rizban
2017-05-05, 09:45 PM
"I... I did. It just sort of appeared a moment after... after..." she takes a few breaths to try to better compose herself, clearly emotionally struggling with all of this but determined to stay strong.

"After we went inside and... we rushed back out, and the note fell to the ground when he opened the door, like it had been stuck in the door frame.

It doesn't make sense to me, but I still have it. My husband seemed convinced it was the only choice, the only way to... to get our our son back."

planswalker
2017-05-05, 09:50 PM
"Do you still have the note? Do you mind if I see it? This is the second note I've witnessed today demanding that a man get himself hurt in order to get his children back."

Rizban
2017-05-05, 10:17 PM
She takes a folded piece of finely crafted, pure white paper from her pocket. Unfolding it, she hands it to you. It's completely unlike the rough parchment of the last note. Not only is the paper of higher quality, but there is a bit of gold foil scrollwork around the edges. The text itself is in a fine, flowing calligraphy.

Dear Sir,

As you may have noticed, your beloved son has gone missing. I regret to inform you that he is now within our caring custody. If you wish to have him returned to you hale and hardy, then you must complete the following steps.

First, you must enter the perfumer's shop at [address]. Within, you shall find a small purple bottle within a strongbox hidden behind the counter. On the fourth day after receiving this letter, the strongbox will be left unlocked through an oversight. This will be the most opportune time at which to acquire the bottle.

Once acquired, by any means necessary, you must take a woman hostage at knife point. If there is no woman available within the shop at the time, you must provide your own for this purpose. This step is critical and cannot be skipped. Drag her into the street as you leave. Once outdoors, she becomes superfluous and may be discarded at your discretion.

Proceed immediately to the nearest intersection. Douse yourself with the contents of the bottle. The entire contents are required, down to the last drop. No less shall suffice. Once in place, you will utter the following phrase clearly that those nearby might hear and proceed to set yourself ablaze.

When the flames have died, your child shall be returned unharmed. Alas, you may not be present to witness it. That is regrettable but necessary for his return. You are wished well in this endeavor.

planswalker
2017-05-06, 01:42 PM
Genna will inspect the note to see what commonalities if any she can find with the one from the other man earlier today.

"Did you notice anything strange in the last few days?"

Rizban
2017-05-08, 03:47 PM
Casual observation reveals little in common with the notes themselves. The situation seems similar only in the disappearance of a child, strange demands, and an almost compulsive need to fulfill those demands to protect the missing child, though whether this is some magical compulsion or just inherent to being a parent is unclear.

"No... not really. The only unusual thing I can think of happening is that we had a burglary a few days ago. We came home and caught them in the act, but they got away with a few minor items, nothing not easily replaced. After that, my husband got some better locks on the front door and hired out for some minor protective wards."

planswalker
2017-05-14, 07:27 PM
Genna will spend the rest of their trip following the Watch trying to keep her calm and seeing if she can coax any more details out of the woman which might be helpful.

[roll=diplomacy]d20+14 I rolled a 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21995053&postcount=194)