PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Replacing Elemental Summons with Para-Elementals and/or (Para-)Templated Creatures

Nifft
2017-01-02, 04:13 PM
I do not like how Elementals are implemented in 3.x, mostly due to flavor & consistency.

As a fix, I'm considering how to replace summoned elementals with either para-elementals or elemental-templated creatures.

So, here are my questions:
- Where can I find the BEST templates for elemental and/or para-elemental creatures?
- Has anyone already done this? (Where is it so I can steal it?)
- Would this affect the game world in any meaningful way?

The basic summoned elementals would be:
- Wood
- Magma [Earth, Fire]
- Smoke / Ash [Fire, Air]
- Ice [Air, Water]
- Ooze [Water, Earth]

They'd all have substance that can be plausibly attacked by swords, which solves one cognitive dissonance for me ("how am I stabbing the air?") -- in the case of "smoke", it'd be the ashy core in the center of the smoke.

Then, at high levels, you could summon big "pure" elementals. They'd be much harder to attack than the common para-elementals, behaving more like a BFC effect than a monster -- Air & Fire Elementals would be incorporeal, while Earth & Water Elementals would hide in large bodies of their element and attack you from cover. I'd like some ideas about what else they might do, too.

Thoughts?