PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun: Most fun kills

Iden Elric
2017-01-02, 04:56 PM
This is a thread I'm creating to give some people a opportunity to tell some fun stories of the most fun/outrageous kills they've made on a creature. Whether strong or weak, all slaying feels good when it's around your level, so feel free to share any story at all.

My story below should you choose to read it.

So I just had a D&D session yesterday, and while we were playing, I had a lot of lucky rolls on killing a small group of cultists and Kobolds (it is still very early level).
I singed the flesh off one Kobold's head with an Eldritch Blast and broke his skull off and now carry it around with me. In the same encounter, the last few remaining Kobolds and Cultists were fleeing to get reinforcements and tell of a secret entryway that we were trying to keep hidden, so the party and I knew we needed to dispose of the survivors before they ratted us out, so I shot an Eldritch Blast at 60ft towards a cultist and hit him in the back, making him stumble before our archer shot an arrow and pierced him through the neck. Our Barbarian threw a javelin and crit, skewering the last Cultist through his torso into the ground. It was a good time.

Naanomi
2017-01-02, 05:03 PM
I've told this recently but it was fun so...

New Revised Ranger... we were setting up an ambush to catch this evil wizard/mobster guy on the docks of town. He got tipped off but he was super arrogant so showed up anyways (with backup). I win initiative.

I charge forward, throw a net on him and entangling strike. My pet Giant Crab grabs him then dives off the docks into the water. He is three strength checks away from escape, underwater (so no verbal components). We mop up the minions up surface side, then I go in the water for my crab... the wizard had drowned in the meantime... oops! Still a fun kill!

Clone
2017-01-02, 05:16 PM
Didn't happen to my character, but the level 1 bard in my party was hitting on the barmaid in the Mines of Phandelver campaign. The bard somehow joked about how if the barmaid touched him he'd tip her a lot, so my DM joking rolled for her to hit him. She got a Nat 20 and my DM used 1d4 for NPC unarmed attacks. She rolled 8, knocking out the bard flat. Might have been against us rather than a monster, but damn was it funny to see the player's face go from comedy to fearing he'd die. We almost wet ourselves laughing

SMac8988
2017-01-02, 06:41 PM
Most epic moment I think I have had in a very long time was in the end of curse of strhad, so spoilers if you can't guess how it ends.

After spending 2 4 hour sessions dragging through Ravenloft, my paladin/barb was out of level 2 spells, out of rages and running with one level of exhaustion. Most our party was beaten up a bit but they had most their spells still.

We found ourselves standing in the final crypt, the vampire lord himself standing in front of us. Turn order gets rolled. Strhad blasts out, hitting us all pretty hard.

Dashing in Griswold draws his greatsword, +2 with bonus damage to a special someone, and go reckless with my attack. May 20, throw a smite on that bad boy, plus half orc crit, bonus damage sword and great weapon. Hit is close to 100. Roll second attack, NAT 20!!! follow up close to 100 again. Final attack, rolled double nat 20's in the reckless attack... needless to say Strahd did not enjoy all that radiant damage....

mgshamster
2017-01-02, 07:45 PM
The knight double punched upwards while underneath an ogre.

Rolled a NAT 20 and a NAT 1.

One fist punched the balls. The other got stuck somewhere else. He refused to use that hand again until it was scoured so much there was no skin left.

Solunaris
2017-01-03, 03:16 AM
The best kill I've ever had was a hoot and a holler thanks to my DM. The story needs some knowledge of Magic: The Gathering however so I'll try to lay down the basics. In M:tG there are several material planes separated by a space of absolute chaos and energy. Inside of that space existed three entities called the "Eldrazi" who floated around eating the planes. When they go to eat a plane, in addition to entering themselves they also spawn a ton of smaller creatures that act as extensions of their bodies. In short, they invaded our home plane Zendikar thousands of years ago and got themselves sealed like scrubs. Now they're slowly breaking out of the seal and we're trying to stop/kill them.

Using the servant of a god of destruction who wanted to observe the Eldrazi eating cities and stuff, we figured out that one of the only two big cities in all of Zendikar was supposed to get eaten on a specific day by a massive Eldrazi attack; so we obviously set up to stop them. At this point, we figured that the seal was still in the weakening phase since we'd only been dealing with the spawn up to this point, but we were woefully incorrect at this point as the scouts spotted a massive "thing" walking towards the city through the ocean. As a party of level 7s, we figured as players that we need to retreat, but unfortunately our characters were too good for their own good and wouldn't abandon the city. Our DM, as a good DM should, knew that we'd refuse to abandon the city and gave us an "out." A Planeswalker (power spellcasters that can move in between planes almost at will) with a metal arm appeared before us offering a trade. In exchange for our help at a later date, he would provide us with a fighting chance against the Titan before us. Seeing no other option, we took his offer and were presented with a metal disk.

And with this, my favorite moment in all of D&D began. Once all five of our characters grasped the disk it bubbled like liquid and engulfed us. The next thing our character's saw was us rising up into a cockpit of a giant robot, each wearing a different colored suit with tailor made controls before us. We were in a "Voltron Gundam like thing" pulled straight from old M:tG lore. With our "scanners" we saw that the Eldrazi had a huge army of spawn with it, and trying to figure out how to deal with it my character discovered that the mech we were in amplified spells cast through it by a factor of the spell slot. Being a sorcerer, I asked my DM if I could use all my sorcery points to create a 5th level spell slot and then cast Fireball; and the madman agreed. It specifically takes all the numerical parts of a spell and then multiplies them, so this Fireball had a radius of 100 feet and a cast range of 750 feet. And when I rolled my damage, the dice gods were smiling on me like never before, because of my 10d6 rolled, 7 came up six for a grand total of 285 damage after the multiplier.

The next several rounds were spent with us all taking turns casting blast spells at this thing as it ran towards us, until we had to engage in close combat. Our fighter, who had been sitting with his arms crossed for the entire combat got to take complete control of the mech; described as his character suddenly being taken into the floor and getting put into a G-Gundam like control center where he proceeded to beat the ever loving crap out of the Titan. The fight ended with the mech putting it's sword through the Titan's chest on a natural 20 from the fighter.

Oh, I forgot to mention that we rode out to meet it in the ocean and had been fighting on thee ocean floor with the aid of some mages holding the water back. So we were flanked by giant walls of water. After we got the kill, the mages lost focus on the spell and the walls came crashing down. As such, we Dimension Door'ed back to the city and landed with a splash behind the city defenders who had been watching us fight.

The rule of cool was definitely in play for the entire session.

Fishyninja
2017-01-03, 10:19 AM
I've got 2:

First my Rogue was scouting ahead and found a load of goblins sitting around a camp fire I say to DM:

Me:"I want to lay down a load of ball bearings around the fire"
DM:"Make a Stealth Check"
Me:*Rolls 19....proceeds to spread ball bearings around the fire unoticed"
Party:*Catches up with me*
DM: What are you going to do Max (My character).
Me: Toss a oil flask in the fire

Result = epic explosion, goblins on fire running around and falling all over the place due to ball bearings.

Second Story:
Our Warlock and Ranger asked the DM to take their turns at the same time as they had the same initiative. DM allowed it. Ranger casts Hunters Mark on Bugbear, Warlock casts Hex on same Bugbear. Ranger fires an Arrow and Warlock casts Eldritch Blast, both get a Natural 20 and the Bugbear melts due to necrotic damage leaving a single arrow hovering in the air like a cartoon before falling to the ground.

Falcon X
2017-01-03, 03:51 PM
It was my first time DMing. We were maybe five sessions in.

The setup:
It is a town just overrun by the enemy. Demon Guy (wearer of flesh) was summoned into our world. Has big, scary demon armor. Remaining evil humans and goblins continue to pillage the town.

The Fight:
DMPC starts soloing the Demon Guy, but the Demon Guy has a magical force field that repels attacks.
The players' mission is to bring down the force field.
There are 4 very final fantasy-esque acolytes nearby who are maintaining the barrier. Each is attuned to an element. So, fire guy will absorb fire but is vulnerable to ice. Etc. They also switch places every now and then and all look similar, so the players have to learn the pattern.

The win:
- In round 2, the Rogue asks if the force field will protect Demon Guy from being grappled. I said no. Rogue proceeds to climb onto Demon Guy's back and drip poison in his mouth. Does 1d4 damage per round. Big deal....
The Rogue then abandons the party and goes to the tavern. The tavern is full of goblins, so he burns it down. Then he climbs on top of a building and watches the fight.
- After a LONG fight, the players figure it out and break the barrier. They then join the fight against Demon Guy who has just taken down DMPC, but not before DMPC gives our fighter his demon-slayer sword.
- The players start actually winning the fight (with super sword).
- Demon Guy flies away at 1/4 health.
- The party uses every attack of opportunity and bow shot at their disposal until he flies out of range, with about 3HP left. I, the DM was relieved that Big Bad wouldn't fall so quickly.
- Meanwhile, Rogue is sitting on his building, watching the fight.
- Rogue: "What about my poison".
- Me: ".....I forgot about that."
- rolls die.
- ".... He falls."

I can't convey the excitement of my players. It was the most upsetting and glorious win I've been a part of.