PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if you opened a Gate to the Elemental Plane of Fire?

Sans.
2017-01-02, 06:17 PM
Title says it all.

Balyano
2017-01-02, 06:24 PM
Do things just flow through or do they have to be pushed through?

Is it like an open door. Or is there a kind of film or membrane looking like a stargate that keeps one side segregated from the other unless something is actively pushed through?

If the first then I suspect flames or lava poring through, maybe both.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-02, 06:25 PM
Title says it all.

You'd have a portal through which you could transit to enter the plane.

Millstone85
2017-01-02, 06:36 PM
The Plane of Fire is divided between regions that ressemble a more fiery version of the Material Plane and regions where it is just one big firestorm.

Assuming a two-way portal, you might get anything from a view of a street in the City of Brass to the brief realization that you and everything within a large radius is going to burn.

Sans.
2017-01-02, 07:19 PM
Do things just flow through or do they have to be pushed through?

Is it like an open door. Or is there a kind of film or membrane looking like a stargate that keeps one side segregated from the other unless something is actively pushed through?

If the first then I suspect flames or lava poring through, maybe both.

Gate

You conjure a portal linking an unoccupied space you can see within range to a precise location on a different plane of existence. The portal is a circular opening, which you can make 5 to 20 feet in diameter. You can orient the portal in any direction you choose. The portal lasts for the duration.

The portal has a front and a back on each plane where it appears. Travel through the portal is possible only by moving through its front. Anything that does so is instantly transported to the other plane, appearing in the unoccupied space nearest to the portal.

So yeah, open door.

Bohandas
2017-01-02, 07:27 PM
On a tangential note, logically shouldn't anything trying to pass through the back of the gate be disinyegrated as the portions behind the gate and the portions in front of it lose contact

Sans.
2017-01-02, 07:38 PM
On a tangential note, logically shouldn't anything trying to pass through the back of the gate be disinyegrated as the portions behind the gate and the portions in front of it lose contact

I assume it means the back is like a Forcewall; nothing gets through.

Naanomi
2017-01-02, 07:42 PM
If you opened it to the 'less hospitable' part of the plane of Fire, it would likely be some combination of Wall of Fire and Incendiary Cloud; plus any creatures that pass through

JNAProductions
2017-01-02, 07:48 PM
I believe that, if it's sufficiently large, that's called the Sun.

Naanomi
2017-01-02, 07:52 PM
I believe that, if it's sufficiently large, that's called the Sun.
Some Primes have a 'sun' made out Elemental Fire (or the Quasi-Element Radiance) or a portal to there... others have other things acting as Suns. It isn't consistent across Primes.

eastmabl
2017-01-02, 10:29 PM
There's an episode of Sliders that deals with this.

Seclora
2017-01-02, 10:54 PM
Depends on the quality of the caster, mercy of their source of power(Inherent magical nature, laws of Arcane magic, patron), and how the DM feels about the idea.

I'd open it facing away from you, to be on the safe side. Maybe find a source of fire immunity first.