PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Things that gain more SLAs as they increase in HD

Jowgen
2017-01-02, 07:53 PM
For reference reasons, I am looking to find all the different things that gain SLAs based on their HD, ideally all the way up to 20. This includes templates and creatures. So far I only have the following templates:

- Half-Celestial
- Half-Fiend
- Half-Fey
- Half-Elemental (4 varieties)
- Half-Illithid (only up to 7 HD)
- Woodling (MM3)
- Terror Vampire (Dragon 348)
- Lemorian (Dungeon 143)

EDIT: Templates so far found thanks to this thread:
Half-Farspawn,
Unholy Scion,
Shadow creautre (max 3, 1/4 HD),
Phrenic (Psi-like),
Radiant Creature,
Mistling
Shadow-Walker

Monsters so far found thanks to this thread: Gith (both types)

Troacctid
2017-01-02, 08:05 PM
Relevant thread from November (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?507163-3-5-Templates-That-Give-SLAs)

Doctor Despair
2017-01-02, 08:19 PM
Not SLAs, but Phrenic might be of note.

Jowgen
2017-01-03, 05:17 AM
Coolio, looked through the november thread and found a good few templates that meet the criteria.

So far, it's all templates though, I could have sworn that there were some base creatures with HD-dependent SLA selection. :smallconfused:

Tiri
2017-01-03, 06:54 AM
Githyanki and Githzerai do this, albeit in a more limited fashion than most of the templates listed.

Jowgen
2017-01-03, 10:45 AM
Githyanki and Githzerai do this, albeit in a more limited fashion than most of the templates listed.

This absolutely qualifies, thank you. :smallsmile:

Necroticplague
2017-01-03, 11:16 AM
Sharn and Phaerimm have racial casting that scales with RHD, and they cast their spells as SLAs, so I guess they technically count?

Doctor Despair
2017-01-03, 11:21 AM
Can't recall if Primordial SLAs scale with HD, but they do grant a choice of SLAs. They also boost SLA DC by 1, on an unrelated note. :3

Vizzerdrix
2017-01-03, 12:32 PM
Half Dylkire (or however you spell it. The aberration race from magic of eberron) sort of do this. When you have more hd, you can grow better symbiots and those have slas.

Ludic
2017-01-03, 11:28 PM
The Shade Race from Races of Faerun. They get a chunk at creation (along with a +4 LA), the big guns they get once they have 8 and then 13 HD I believe.

Savage Species, Monster Class. Levels equal to your LA, and you spread the wealth of abilities over them. For instance, Rakasha would have 7 levels 1d8 HD per level, and they'd get all those juicy things that make then a +7 LA over those seven monster levels. As long as the monster has an LA, it's easy to make and probably easier than hunting for stuff that already has it.

Thurbane
2017-01-04, 12:02 AM
Barghest get extra SLAs when they gain enough HD to go from regular- to greater-.