PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Table Top Games

random_guy
2017-01-02, 09:54 PM
What are everyone's experiences with regards to virtual table top games, such as MapTools or Roll20? I find that I prefer them over play by post games, due to the pacing and action, which helps keep my attention on the game. On the other hand, the difficulty in finding people with matching schedules can make it more difficult to get a campaign started. Changing schedules can also cause a campaign to fall apart. As a result, I have not had much luck with RPing over the net. Anyone else have better luck?

CovertCobalt
2017-01-03, 12:22 AM
I played with a group of people over Roll20, none of whom I knew IRL, for about a year a while back. we had a steady group of 4, along with a constantly changing 5th player-slot that soon became a headache for our GM. Although it wasn't my favorite gaming experience of all time by any means, it was definitely an interesting group of campaigns. I found the online medium fantastic for organizing information and playing the game, but often frustrating as a communicative medium. (I.e. the Gm sometimes same across as harsh or mean because of the limitations of text's ability to convey tone)

I also ran several sessions of a 4e Dark Sun game for my IRL gaming group, as well as a few FATE Core games, and found it incredibly helpful. The many features I could incorporate into the game, from combat tracking tools, to music, to visual aids like maps and character portraits, really enhanced the gaming experience. Eventually, the game ended due to scheduling issues, but I never felt like Roll20 itself was at fault.

Gnoman
2017-01-03, 03:15 AM
I ran a two-year Maptool campaign awhile back, and am currently running a sequel (although it has hit a schedule ing rock lately).

Airk
2017-01-04, 03:19 PM
Roll20 is good for connecting people in diverse locations, and is pretty fun, even if it not as good as playing in person. Good for connecting with friends who have moved, for example.

random_guy
2017-01-05, 12:37 AM
Interesting. Based on the experiences shared, it falls somewhere between IRL games and PbP games, which is to be expected. If I understand CovertCobalt correctly, some VTT features have been used to enhance IRL games as well. I have not experienced this aspect yet, but I do have a friend who wants to use MapTools for an IRL game. I think scheduling difficulties is more of a side of effect of growing up rather than anything else at this point.