PDA

View Full Version : Thought Shielding?

The Shadowdove
2017-01-03, 03:53 PM
Hey folks,

I seem to have forgotten/am unable to locate the spell that prevents others from reading your mind. Specifically whether you're lying.

Mind refreshing me?

Also, what other mind protecting spells are out there?

thanks a dozen

Dove

pwykersotz
2017-01-03, 04:09 PM
Glibness will prevent your lie from being discovered and Mind Blank will prevent a host of mental shenanigans. I don't know if these are what you were looking for.

NecroDancer
2017-01-03, 04:09 PM
I believe the spell is called Mindblank. There is also an item called the ring of mind shielding that duplicates some of the effects of Mindblank.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-01-03, 04:10 PM
Nondetection (3rd level, bard/ranger/wizard) makes a target immune to divination magic for 8 hours.

Mind Blank (8th level, bard/wizard) provides a suite of benefits including thought shielding for 24 hours.

Glibness (also 8th level, bards/warlocks only), which I had forgotten even existed, does indeed prevent your lies being discovered by magic for 1 hour. It wouldn't necessarily protect you from mundane insight though, if the DM can roll well enough.

There's also a Ring of Mind Shielding, which is uncommon.

Damn, double-ninja'd! :smallannoyed:

Millstone85
2017-01-04, 05:34 AM
There is also Thought Shield, the 10th level Great-Old-One warlock feature.

JellyPooga
2017-01-04, 06:29 AM
It's also worth noting (though slightly off topic) that most spells/abilities (as far as I'm aware) that read minds only read surface thoughts...as a GM, I might allow a good Intelligence (Deception) roll to avoid revealing information.

If the specific spell being used against you is Detect Thoughts, then there are two RAW ways to improve your defences;
1) Pump that Wis Save - Bless and Resistance spring immediately to mind, but there's a few non-spell ways to do so too.
2) Pump your raw Int ability checks (note; not Save) - Enhance Ability for advantage is an obvious one, Guidance for a small bump. Bards get Jack of all Trades, or a friendly one should be able to help you out with Bardic Inspiration.

Doing either/both of these is probably a good defence against mind-reading magic of any stripe, to be fair, but if it's a lie you're trying to tell, then I still think Deception and clever wording is your friend; lie revealing magic doesn't (typically) force you to blurt whatever truth the questioner asks for. Evasive answers, deceptive truths...you're not lying but you don't have to be co-operative.

Biggstick
2017-01-04, 02:33 PM
Mastermind Rogue level 17 ability is pretty solid too, although probably a bit higher level.

Starting at 17th level, your thoughts can't be read by telepath or other means, unless you allow it. You can present false thoughts by making a Charisma (deception) check contested by the mind reader's Wisdom (insight) check.

Additionally, no matter what you say, magic that would determine if you are telling the truth indicates you are being truthful, if you choose, and you can't be compelled to tell the truth by magic.
Pretty much everything else I can think of has been mentioned already.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-01-06, 06:00 PM
Mastermind Rogue level 17 ability is pretty solid too, although probably a bit higher level.

Starting at 17th level, your thoughts can't be read by telepath or other means, unless you allow it. You can present false thoughts by making a Charisma (deception) check contested by the mind reader's Wisdom (insight) check.

Additionally, no matter what you say, magic that would determine if you are telling the truth indicates you are being truthful, if you choose, and you can't be compelled to tell the truth by magic.
Pretty much everything else I can think of has been mentioned already.

That one's really nice because it's ability to spoof the results is so rare that your opponents are going to be inclined to believe the data they get back from their spells because most methods of foiling magic lie detection and mind-reading just cause the spell to fail and give them nothing, not inaccuracies.