PDA

View Full Version : What should my Gray Dwarf be?

Ravinsild
2017-01-03, 07:06 PM
So yesterday I got the message from the DM we are making our characters soon. We will be rolling stats/making our characters at the table together. I decided after a few months of contemplating to go with something I've never played before, because it might be fun. I decided on a Gray Dwarf because I've never played a Dwarf before on purpose and Duergar seem sort of fitting as harsh, tyrannical, ruthless, pragmatic and strong. Also because they, and Dark Iron Dwarves, are basically the same thing.

So it comes down to class pretty much. Having a super difficult time choosing between a Fighter Eldritch Knight (pure, can't think of a good reason to multiclass) because that seems pretty interesting, or making him a "Destruction Warlock" like from WoW - Chaotic fire magic and fel magic (dark magic) with something like a Warlock Fiend Pact 6/Draconic Sorcerer 14 overall or something to grab stuff like FIre Storm (Rain of Fire) and ...Immolate (Immolate) and whatever else. Fireball might be like Cataclysm. I can't think of a strong single target nuke like Chaos Bolt, but it's more the "spirit" than an exact replication.

What do you think? Gray Dwarf "Destro Lock" or EK? Mostly I was thinking EK because it might have synergy with the racial Enlarge spell. I figure simply picking Duergar automatically makes me unoptimized so I might as well go for something quirky, fun and interesting over OP. It's super hard to choose and we are rolling next Monday D:

JumboWheat01
2017-01-03, 08:16 PM
Remember that Gray Dwarves suffer from sunlight sensitivity. This isn't the biggest worry with your two class choices, both (Fiend) Warlocks and Eldritch Knights can get attacks that work on a save rather than an attack roll.

I'd lean more towards Eldritch Knight though. While Gray Dwarves do tend to be more accepting of arcane magic than other dwarves, they are not very fond of being under someone else's beck and call, like a Warlock. Eldritch Knight will allow them to combine typical dwarven martial might with magical power as needed.

And a suggest with the Eldritch Knight, stick with weapons like the Longsword, Battleaxe or Warhammer. They are versatile, letting you smack and cast until you snag Warcaster, and if you don't need to cast, you can go with a two-handed grip for more damage. And if you do need to cast, you can switch back to one-handed, cast your spell and STILL smack things around.

Ravinsild
2017-01-03, 08:45 PM
Remember that Gray Dwarves suffer from sunlight sensitivity. This isn't the biggest worry with your two class choices, both (Fiend) Warlocks and Eldritch Knights can get attacks that work on a save rather than an attack roll.

I'd lean more towards Eldritch Knight though. While Gray Dwarves do tend to be more accepting of arcane magic than other dwarves, they are not very fond of being under someone else's beck and call, like a Warlock. Eldritch Knight will allow them to combine typical dwarven martial might with magical power as needed.

And a suggest with the Eldritch Knight, stick with weapons like the Longsword, Battleaxe or Warhammer. They are versatile, letting you smack and cast until you snag Warcaster, and if you don't need to cast, you can go with a two-handed grip for more damage. And if you do need to cast, you can switch back to one-handed, cast your spell and STILL smack things around.

Oh, thanks for the input! You've sort of reset how I was thinking - I was thinking running with a Maul (giant hammer) and was thinking more along the lines of Dark Iron Dwarf and Ragnaros thus fire elemental affinity (they are free from Ragnaros currently but maintain that close affinity with fire). I guess Warhammer + Shield would be good, swapping out as needed. Although tbh I figured the Enlarge would be better with EK than Warlock (Sorcerer)