PDA

View Full Version : In-play complexity, build complexity, and effectiveness

BaronDoctor
2017-01-03, 07:12 PM
I've thrown the idea around in another thread, but now I'm actually curious. How would people rank / sort classes in terms of "effectiveness per unit of effort"?

What I'm saying is this: you can go get the equivalent of a university minor in bookwork, time, and study and at the end of it you've got an amazing wizard or druid, or whatever. High effectiveness, high effort. Or you can play a sorcerer, poke through spells and feats and find a prestige class you like and be about 80% as effective for like 20% of the effort.

Also, in play, having eighteen choices you have to weigh and figure out versus having like three.

Granted, I don't know this like some folk know this, but I'd like to eyeball it and get feedback on three or four things: how to simplify playing high complexity classes or simplify the understanding and use of high-complexity builds, if my assessment of effort is accurate, and if my assessment of effectiveness is accurate.

SRD class index (yes, I'm just starting with SRD classes but if this takes off we can go into other things).

Ratings are A (very high) to E (very low) with an X for "game-altering potential"

Barbarian:
Play Complexity: D. You have one resource to manage that you don't have "plenty" of: rages.
Build Complexity: D. Any discussion of barbarians is going to include intimidating rage, whirling frenzy, trapsmasher, and lion spirit totem. Other than that, a lot of other things are either "to taste" or all focused towards a singular goal: putting things down hard.
Effectiveness Floor: D. A complete newbie barbarian can still hit things reasonably hard and can participate in the social (intimidate) and outdoorsy skills games.
Effectiveness Ceiling: C (X-damage). A master's barbarian hits things hard enough to have their attack roll be the equivalent of a save-or-die, demolishes traps, and participates in several skill games. A good class for new players and a fun class (within its limits) for masters.

Bard:
Play Complexity: B. "Hm, do I music, do I cast a spell, do I just try to hit it?"
Build Complexity: B. "Okay, I have like all the good skills on my class list and not nearly enough skill points. I want like five second level spells and I can only get like two. I've got Inspire Courage just begging to have something fun done with it."
Effectiveness Floor: D. A complete newbie bard still can lay down inspire courage, still has the skills and charisma focus to participate in the social and city skills games.
Effectiveness Ceiling: B. A master's bard is a force multiplier that might not completely shake the world but definitely has a massive impact.

Cleric:
Play Complexity: A. "I have so many awesome spells on my list. What do I prepare today?"
Build Complexity: B. "I don't have to pick spells. I pick a couple neat domains, I find something to do with my turning, and I'm a day away from having an answer to our problems."
Effectiveness Floor: C. A complete newbie cleric doesn't know the best spells, isn't doing anything with their turning, but still has the cleric spell list.
Effectiveness Ceiling: A (X-versatility with powerful effects). A master's cleric is the hand of their god (or sometimes their middle finger).

Druid:
Play Complexity: A. "Wild shape? Cast a spell? Summon something? What do I do with my companion? Uhhh..."
Build Complexity: A. Eggynack's encyclopedia was well written and condensed the druid down to just the best of it and it's still really big.
Effectiveness Floor: C. A complete newbie druid doesn't know the best spells, wild shape forms, or summons, but they can do pretty well with the tabletop equivalent of button-mashing. Bear in mind that the player may well feel in over their head or like they're flailing at things trying to find something that works.
Effectiveness Ceiling: A (X-versatility with powerful effects). A master's druid is the reason why children go inside when they hear the howling of wolves, because nature can be scary even when it's a long way away.

Fighter:
Play Complexity: E. You hit things. You shoot things. That's about it.
Build Complexity: D. You get feats. Figure out what you're doing with them. Good luck, though, there's just so many options.
Effectiveness Floor: E. A complete newbie fighter will struggle against level-appropriate foes. Fighters are more trouble than they're worth rather frequently. People have said "play a fighter to figure out the game", but in order to do what you do well you have to go book diving. That said...
Effectiveness Ceiling: C. (X-damage) A master's fighter makes attack rolls that are like save-or-die / save-or-lose and can prevent the enemy from being able to do much.

Monk:
Play Complexity: C. You have a fair chunk of options, but the trick is finding the one you want amidst the other things.
Build Complexity: C.
The proper question for playing a monk is not "Which ACFs should I use?", it's "Which ACFs can't I use?".
Effectiveness Floor: E. A newbie monk will look like a martial arts character in a comedy, ineffectually flailing and failing.
Effectiveness Ceiling: C. A master's monk looks like a martial arts character in an action movie, calm and centered and beating things up.

Paladin:
Play Complexity: C. You're a fighter. With some spells. And lay on hands. And turning. And a special mount. And by the way, you can lose it all.
Build Complexity: C. You've got a lot of resources to play with. Turning, paladin spells, special mount, lay on hands, and there's probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.
Effectiveness Floor: D. A newbie paladin still has access to their whole spell list, and lay on hands, in addition to having the fighter chassis. Without a lot of effort they tend to come off like a fighter with a "holy" thematic.
Effectiveness Ceiling: B. When a paladin brings their A-game, they tend to look almost like a bard that went to church and the gym instead of the brothel and the bar.

Ranger:
Play Complexity: D (C with certain ACFs). Combat style helps guide your actions in combat, and you've got the skills for the outdoorsy and the stealth skills games.
Build Complexity: C. Like the paladin, but for nature, you've got spells, your animal companion, your favored enemy, combat style, skills...there's a lot of directions you can go. Effectiveness Floor: D. A newbie ranger still has their spell list, their combat style, and their skills. A newbie player can do fairly well here.
Effectiveness Ceiling: B. A master's ranger has completely picked out their kit and is about the closest thing to a special forces soldier D&D has.

Rogue:
Play Complexity: D (C with significant UMD use). Sneak attack is king in combat, and you've got a bunch of skills at your fingertips (or spells off wands etc if that's how you roll).
Build Complexity: D. Fairly easy to put one together that's reasonably effective.
Effectiveness Floor: D. A newbie rogue still has their skills and however many d6 of sneak attack. A newbie player can get a sense for the game and be able to participate in a lot of it.
Effectiveness Ceiling: C. A master's rogue is a smooth-talking light-fingered sneak that kills things.

Sorcerer:
Play Complexity: low B. "Well, I can cast anything off this list: what helps us win?"
Build Complexity: low B. "How do I put together a 70% solution list? Is there anything else to what I'm doing with this character?"
Effectiveness Floor: D. A newbie sorcerer might end up only picking one good spell (with the DM's help), but they'll put it together eventually. Probably.
Effectiveness Ceiling: A (X - a limited number of powerful effects, any one of which alters the game). A master's sorcerer might only have a hammer, but when that hammer is Mjolnir, who cares whether or not things are nails?

Wizard:
Play Complexity: A. "What do I prepare today? How many slots do I leave open? Uhhh..."
Build Complexity: A. "I want to be able to do all the things!" "Play a wizard."
Effectiveness Floor: C. A newbie wizard can eventually put things together and get a good list of spells prepared for every level, no matter how they started.
Effectiveness Ceiling: A. A master's wizard has phenomenal cosmic power and whatever living space they want.

Special thanks to Doctor Despair for the Floor/Ceiling concept, GilesTheCleric for input on Clerics and Wizards, Cosi for the rating system, LordOfCain for monk input.

Contributions welcome.

LordOfCain
2017-01-03, 07:20 PM
Monk: I haven't played a monk, haven't really looked at building one. Feedback here would be appreciated.

High, high, low. The proper question for playing a monk is not "Which ACFs should I use?", it's "Which ACFs can't I use?".

ryu
2017-01-03, 07:29 PM
I would point out the wizard gains the simplicity advantage of picking bad spells being much less crippling. Pick bad spells, have a bad day but live, learn new spells. Sorcerers get pick bad spells, have a bad day, hope you're allowed to retrain them.

Cosi
2017-01-03, 08:01 PM
For what it's worth, I think this is pretty much the most useful way to rank classes. There are a couple of tweaks you should probably make though. First, "easy to build" doesn't really mean anything on its own. A Wizard is easy to build if you make random spell choices. "Easy to build an effective character" is probably better. Second, you should have a ranking for "ease of breaking the game". This includes both things like how making a summoner Wizard can make you more powerful than the rest of the party, and how a Truenamer or Monk that isn't optimized fairly proficiently will be useless.

Also, I think A/B/C or 1/2/3 is easier to parse than the current color + low/medium/high setup, but that's just preference.

Fighter: low-medium in-play complexity, lowest build complexity (you only get feats, so you better figure out what you're doing with them); low effectiveness. Fighters are more trouble than they're worth rather frequently. People have said "play a fighter to figure out the game", but in order to do what you do well you have to go book diving.

Emphasis mine.

I think this demonstrates what I'm talking about when I say "easy to build" is a bad criteria. It's very easy to build a Fighter, but very hard to build a Fighter that is at all effective, and you seem to acknowledge this.

I would point out the wizard gains the simplicity advantage of picking bad spells being much less crippling. Pick bad spells, have a bad day but live, learn new spells. Sorcerers get pick bad spells, have a bad day, hope you're allowed to retrain them.

I think it's more that spell selection is a build decision for the Sorcerer, but a play decision for the Wizard. You're still just as hosed if you pick crap spells, you can just recover easier.

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-03, 08:12 PM
Granted, I don't know this like some folk know this, but I'd like to eyeball it and get feedback on three or four things: how to simplify playing high complexity classes or simplify the understanding and use of high-complexity builds, if my assessment of effort is accurate, and if my assessment of effectiveness is accurate.

How much system mastery/ knowledge are you assuming on the part of the player? Those with more system mastery are going to find it easier to both build and play.

I think many high in-play complexity classes can be simplified with higher system mastery as well -- if you know what the most general, effective options are, you can pick those and then not have to worry about it. For example, a player could find the six basic spell types (will, ref, fort, utility, buff, BFC), and prepare one of each type, and then never have to think about spells again.

Cleric: high in-play complexity (spontaneous cure actually creates more decision points even if it means that you don't have to prepare cures), medium-high build complexity (turning + domains + [access to whole list makes spells known easy] + feats/ACFs/PrC); high effectiveness. Easier on build complexity for its power, but high in-play complexity is kinda rough.

I agree that Clerics, like other full casters, have high in-play complexity. As optimisation approaches (infinity? TO?) max, the complexity also approaches max, since optimisation generally is about availing yourself of more options. At some point, though, I'd imagine there's a singularity where instead of having lots of discrete options, you instead have one (Miracle/ Wish), that you can apply as the best solution to every problem. There was a thread about getting to TO-complete builds (which essentially just means at-will Wish) that describes this in more detail.

I would disagree that spontaneous cures add more complexity: folks with more system mastery will have obviated the need to cure spontaneously through any of various means, and probably will also have traded away that class feature (likely for spontaneous restoration). It does add another decision to make, but in almost all cases, it's not really a decision.

I understand your choice of med-high build complexity, and don't disagree with your assessment under "normal" conditions. However, I would personally peg it more at medium or low: As a T1 class with access to their entire list, Clerics don't actually need anything other than access to their spell list. No gear, feats, even domains or other class features. Purely the spell list is enough. That said, investing effort in the build can pay off with lower in-play effort. For someone using a guide or with good system mastery, I'd say the effort of picking two from about 10 good domains, and whatever MM/ crafting feats you feel like (plus PA or Extra Turning to taste, and perhaps some devotion feats) is very low for the payout.

I also agree with high effectiveness, though I think that Clerics top out sooner than do wizards or other T1s. The Cleric list just doesn't have a whole lot of great stuff at the higher end besides Miracle. With sufficient op, they can still access infinite actions/ spells/ everyone else's list/ etc just like all other casters, of course.

I would also note that core-only Clerics are much weaker than other core-only T1 classes. Clerics actually do have a somewhat restricted list in core, and don't have much feat or other support beyond MM/ crafting.

Cosi
2017-01-03, 08:15 PM
How much system mastery/ knowledge are you assuming on the part of the player? Those with more system mastery are going to find it easier to both build and play.

I think "this class takes a lot of effort to play" and "this class is easy to play if you understand the game well" are saying basically the same thing. System mastery is knowing which options are good and which are crap, so obviously if you have more of it you will be better at knowing that.

Doctor Despair
2017-01-03, 09:07 PM
In League of Legends, I've commonly heard champions referred to in terms of skill ceilings and floors. A champion with a high skill floor will be good with little mastery, whereas a champion with a low skill floor leaves a lot of room to fail if you are playing it suboptimally. Likewise, a champion with a high skill ceilings will allow a skilled player to outperform opponents, whereas a champion with a low skill ceilings will stop yielding good returns at a certain proficiency. Two high skill players, discounting the matchup, one with a high skill ceilings champion and one with a low skill ceilings champion, will usually end up with the high skill ceiling champion winning.

I think it may be useful to borrow the terminology here. Fighters have a low skill floor and a medium (or maybe just low) skill ceiling. Meanwhile, as was pointed out, clerics and druids will be strong regardless of optimization with what may perhaps be called a high skill floor and a higher skill ceiling. Incorporating skill floors and ceilings with some comparative rating system (ABC, 123, whatever) may be useful here.

BaronDoctor
2017-01-03, 09:29 PM
I like the idea of a floor and ceiling and will amend the list accordingly. Perhaps with an A to E setup, with an X note for a class being so strong it can readily alter the shape of the game.

Sam K
2017-01-04, 03:58 AM
I'm a bit surprised that you're rating the druid as complex to build: it's a class that you can literally build to be bad and it's still T1. The only way you can screw it up is if it doesn't have enough wisdom to cast, and EVEN THEN it will have some useful features. Sure, you can seriously optimise a druid, but the fact is you can take 12 wisdom and memorise only summon natures ally, and still be one of the more useful level 1 characters out there.

Sorcerer, on the other hand, I would rate as the MOST complex character to build. It's easy enough to play once it's built, but it's one of the most unforgiving characters to build. People keep saying that if a wizard picks the wrong spell setup, the wizard is useless for a day, but if a sorc picks the wrong spell setup, that sorc is useless forever.

ryu
2017-01-04, 04:04 AM
I'm a bit surprised that you're rating the druid as complex to build: it's a class that you can literally build to be bad and it's still T1. The only way you can screw it up is if it doesn't have enough wisdom to cast, and EVEN THEN it will have some useful features. Sure, you can seriously optimise a druid, but the fact is you can take 12 wisdom and memorise only summon natures ally, and still be one of the more useful level 1 characters out there.

Sorcerer, on the other hand, I would rate as the MOST complex character to build. It's easy enough to play once it's built, but it's one of the most unforgiving characters to build. People keep saying that if a wizard picks the wrong spell setup, the wizard is useless for a day, but if a sorc picks the wrong spell setup, that sorc is useless forever.

That's what I was bringing up and why my group teaches people casting with wizards instead of sorcerers. The wizard can spend a day sucking hard due to general incompetence, figure out what was wrong, and come back within the week all competent and stuff. Not so with a sorcerer.

weckar
2017-01-04, 04:49 AM
I'd argue that the Fighter has a much higher build complexity (and complexity overall) than the barbarian as it has way more 'equally viable' options to choose from. With Barbarian most choices are really made for you.

I'm also not sure how exactly you are rating floors and ceilings relative to effort the way you are doing the other ratings...

ayvango
2017-01-04, 04:51 AM
That's what I was bringing up and why my group teaches people casting with wizards instead of sorcerers. The wizard can spend a day sucking hard due to general incompetence, figure out what was wrong, and come back within the week all competent and stuff. Not so with a sorcerer.
Be gentle for novice, give newbie sorcerer homerule options for retraining.

ryu
2017-01-04, 04:55 AM
Be gentle for novice, give newbie sorcerer homerule options for retraining.

No, just give them the class that lets them do that. Besides it's not just about making sure the newbie has a good list. It's about making sure enough spells are tried, or at least looked at, that they know WHY the good spells are good. Possibly also some advice that as the newbie they aren't expected to do most of the heavy lifting. They're just supposed to learn and get a feel for things.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-01-04, 05:45 AM
I would agree that fighters are a bit harder to build than an E. For one, they have lots of good ACFs (like the C-rated monk), and for two, all those feats are limited to some pretty opaque feat chains.

Druids and clerics, and to some degree wizards, are easier to build, because you can switch loadouts easily.

What we're running up against is that there is a build complexity floor and ceiling, just like the effectiveness floor and ceiling. A high-effort druid build is, as you say, complicated (even with the Guide). It requires a list of Wild Shape forms (incl. stats) and a long list of spells. A low-effort druid build is, however, very effective.

How about organizing the list like this:
- Build complexity floor (BCF)
- Effectiveness at BCF (EBCF)
- Play complexity at BCF (PBCF)

- Build complexity ceiling (BCC)
- Effectiveness at BCC (EBCC)
- Play complexity at BCC (PBCC)

This does depend a bit on the assumption that higher build complexity results in more power. I think that it does, for most classes, but use with care.

weckar
2017-01-04, 06:09 AM
Does this actually assume straight 1-20 classing or are PrCs/dips also considered? Because that complicates things considerably.