PDA

View Full Version : Playing fighter 2/divination X and so far I'm surprised that...

thebiglost1
2017-01-03, 08:01 PM
I'm using my portent more on stopping critical fails for my party and crits from mobs than I am for saving throw replacements. I honestly had thought I would be using them more to make an enemy fail a save than anything but I have consistently been using them to stop a fumble at a 'critical' time.

Anyone else find that they are using their portents at times other than what they had planned?

Gignere
2017-01-03, 08:08 PM
I'm using my portent more on stopping critical fails for my party and crits from mobs than I am for saving throw replacements. I honestly had thought I would be using them more to make an enemy fail a save than anything but I have consistently been using them to stop a fumble at a 'critical' time.

Anyone else find that they are using their portents at times other than what they had planned?

Yes replacing enemies' initiative rolls, however I have used portent to guarantee landing my SOS as well. Other uses, I used it to help the full plate cleric stealth, bargaining and giving the merchant a 1 on their persuade roll, used it to decipher a codex just to guarantee success, you can't use it to replace crits and critical failures because technically based on RAW you use it before the roll is made. You have a very generous DM, if we played it that way I am sure I would save it for crits and critical failures too, but we don't.

Erys
2017-01-03, 08:18 PM

Technically you cannot stop a crit against you or your party. Portent rolls are decided before the roll, not after.

That said, one thing I used portent on (more than once) that surprised me was death savings throws.