PDA

View Full Version : Roy -> Bag of Holding?

anamiac
2007-07-18, 08:50 AM
On strip 476, Belkar wants to put O-Chul in the bag of Holding, but Haley won't let him, not wanting O-Chul to suffocate.

So... What's stopping them from putting Roy in the Bag of Holding?

Rinquist
2007-07-18, 08:53 AM
Belkar won't allow it, he's afraid that it may place Roy further than a mile away, which would activate the mark of justice.

anamiac
2007-07-18, 08:58 AM
Oh, right. I forgot about that.

Shadic
2007-07-18, 09:44 AM
That was actually discussed a few comics ago..

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-18, 10:18 AM
One minor question: If Roy and O-Chul are put into a bag of holding with their heads sticking out, will Haley get the lightening bonus without either suffocating O-Chul or setting off one of the conditions of the MoJ?

Actually, make that two minor questions: How long does it take for Belkar to get sick, and if he does get sick, then has the Mark removed, will he get better? Is the sickness fatal, or just dehabilitating?

(I guess that was three questions total. Sorry, Minored in English, almost failed math!) :smallwink:

Rinquist
2007-07-18, 10:37 AM
One minor question: If Roy and O-Chul are put into a bag of holding with their heads sticking out, will Haley get the lightening bonus without either suffocating O-Chul or setting off one of the conditions of the MoJ?

Regardless of how it would effect their weight, it'd be hilarious. Roy-in-a-bag! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: I r teh gudz at grammarz

Gundato
2007-07-18, 10:37 AM
1. House rule, I don't see any info on that in the SRD
2. Unknown
3. Unknown, I doubt Belkar would want to risk that

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-18, 11:01 AM
I believe that a mark of justice does -6 to an ability, -4 on all rolls, and any other rules that have been houseruled in however anyone affected has a 50% chance of acting normally in their turn.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-07-18, 11:15 AM
I believe that a mark of justice does -6 to an ability, -4 on all rolls, and any other rules that have been houseruled in however anyone affected has a 50% chance of acting normally in their turn.

No, it only does one of those, not all of them.

Cifer
2007-07-18, 11:17 AM
@TheAlmightyOne
It's highly probable that this is not your standard SoJ but something homebrewish.

Requiem_Jeer
2007-07-18, 11:49 AM
Or it could be one of those and the clerics told Roy that it was worse. No bluff skill to speak of and all.

GusGusStrumSong
2007-07-18, 11:51 AM
is o-chul actually dead... if he was he could be put in a bag of holding. I never caught that...

OneEyedJay
2007-07-18, 12:08 PM
O'Chul isn't dead. Xykon parylized(sp) him.

I thought the same thing about putting Roy in the bag, but the mention of Belkar's MoJ, that makes sense.

Accountant
2007-07-18, 08:40 PM
No, it only does one of those, not all of them.

Isn't that the same as Bestow Curse?

Also, I think that probably O-Chul is dead. There's no reason for paralysis to not make anyone take full damage from the explosions and whatnot. He just remained paralyzed so he looks like he's still alive, which is why Haley thought he could have been suffocated.

Maybe?

Aquillion
2007-07-18, 09:22 PM
Isn't that the same as Bestow Curse?Yes. In fact, the spell description specifically reads:
The effect of the mark is identical with the effect of bestow curse.Note that, since it is identical, the caster can also (as per the text in bestow curse) invent their own penalty for violating it, as long as its effects are no more powerful than the ones described in Bestow Curse. That could be what was done to Belkar...

But I think that it was described as making him 'weaker and weaker until he could no longer hurt anyone?' Either the -6 to one stat or the -4 to all attack rolls, saves, and ability/skill checks could be described like that (with some artistic license for scare value.)

fangthane
2007-07-18, 09:32 PM
I suppose it hinges on how the DM sees the interdimensional space in a case like this, really. Does the part of the person inside the bag 'weigh' anything, for example? Not in terms of real-world weight, mind you, but does it exert any pull on the part outside? is there a tendency for a person to fall in? If not, the concept of a cinched-up bag of holding with Roy's head sticking out is somewhat amusing. If so, lugging around a sack with O-Chul's or Roy's head and shoulders emerging is an option. As a DM I'd tend to require some high-DC skill checks to properly secure things in either case, and the bag would have to make some fortitude saves if it were used for the second. I seem to recall if ruptured its contents get strewn across another plane - and so does a big piece of Roy or O-Chul. That could be problematic, as it kills O-Chul and causes Roy to require a Resurrection rather than merely a Raise. True Res is an option, of course, but that's iffy at the OotS' level and affluence, and given the city's (and high priest's) state.

The bottom line, though, is that Belkar won't let Haley put Roy in the bag, and nor will she let him put O-Chul in. I frankly would be somewhat surprised if the bag is even mentioned again in this particular context. Haley and Belkar have had their say with respect to their burdens, and that's that.

Edit - our view is omniscient (as far as it goes), therefore O-Chul lives. We'd see X's otherwise. If we saw X's but everyone kept talking about him being alive it might be a reversal gag on the lich's paralysis since it usually requires a spot check to know the target's not dead. But we see eyes, so he's OK - at least for now. Maybe once the paralysis ends he explodes in a Fountain o' Blood in the tradition of anime delayed-death techniques; who knows. For now, however, he's still alive and aware of what's happening around him, just completely unable to react. Wonder when's the last time he blinked... :smalleek: