PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Healing Surges PEACH

Professor Beard
2017-01-03, 11:08 PM
So, I loved 4e. I still love 4e, but I don't think I can talk my group into it.

One of the things I loved is the Healing Surges and Healing Word/Inspiring Word/Whatever Word. I want to update this for 5e.

Importantly, I want to use them because I feel like they will open up the game from requiring a single (at least semi-)dedicated healer.

First, has anyone had any experience with Healing Surges. Do they work well? How do they scale? What tweaks would you recommend.

The one thing I don't like about HS's is that they take an action. In 4e they could take an action (second wind) but a leader had a 2/encounter minor/bonus action to allow someone to spend a healing surge with a bonus. I want this to work in a low-magic game, or a game in which everyone wants to play characters that don't have much -- or any -- healing, without massively slowing down the game. I run combat-heavy games, in general, and most of my games have urgency to them that doesn't allow for a large amount of down time.

So, here is my thought. I want to give a number of classes the ability to give a HS to another player as a bonus action.

Basic Class Feature:
Twice per short rest (three times per short rest at lvl 10 and above) you can spend a bonus action when you X to allow an ally within 25 feet of you to spend up a healing surge and regain an extra 1d6 HP (2d6 at lvl 5, 3d6 at lvl 10, 4d6 at lvl 15). In addition, Y.

Bard: X = Make a spell attack; Y = The target can move 10 feet without provoking an attack of opportunity
Cleric: X = Cast a spell of 1st lvl or higher; Y = The target gains 1d4 temporary hit points (2d4 at lvl 5, 3d4 at lvl 10, 4d4 at lvl 15)
Druid: X = Impose a negative status affect; Y = Has advantage on her next attack roll
Paladin: X = Make an attack. Y = The next attack made against the target is made with disadvantage.

I love the Warlord from 4e/Marshal from 3.5, and I would like to incorporate the Warlord's healing abilities, but I'm not sure how to do that. Likewise, I love the idea of giving MORE classes this option, but I'm not sure how to do that -- not because it makes sense, but because I don't want to pigeon-hole my players anymore than necessary.

Any help you can provide me is appreciated enormously.

Thank you!

Kane0
2017-01-03, 11:21 PM
It would be pretty easy to modify the Healer feat for your needs, if that appeals to you.

Once per short rest as a bonus action a friendly creature you can touch can use their reaction to spend a healing surge, plus extra HP equal to X (proficiency bonus, flat die, ability bonus, whatever).

Certain abilities such as second wind can also be adapted. Subclasses for the Fighter, Ranger, Monk and Rogue might fit the bill nicely too.

Flashy
2017-01-04, 12:44 AM
Basic Class Feature:
Twice per short rest (three times per short rest at lvl 10 and above) you can spend a bonus action when you X to allow an ally within 25 feet of you to spend up a healing surge and regain an extra 1d6 HP (2d6 at lvl 5, 3d6 at lvl 10, 4d6 at lvl 15). In addition, Y.

Bard: X = Make a spell attack; Y = The target can move 10 feet without provoking an attack of opportunity
Cleric: X = Cast a spell of 1st lvl or higher; Y = The target gains 1d4 temporary hit points (2d4 at lvl 5, 3d4 at lvl 10, 4d4 at lvl 15)
Druid: X = Impose a negative status affect; Y = Has advantage on her next attack roll
Paladin: X = Make an attack. Y = The next attack made against the target is made with disadvantage.

Cleric and Paladin are fine, but the only spell on the Bard list that makes a spell attack is the 7th level Mordenkainan's Sword. You probably don't want to force them to pick up something with a spell attack through Magical Secrets, especially considering that the Valor Bard doesn't get any until 10th level.

The Druid option is fine in theory but sort of demands that all Druids be control casters, a role which 5e doesn't assume they fill.

Foxhound438
2017-01-04, 02:03 AM
Importantly, I want to use them because I feel like they will open up the game from requiring a single (at least semi-)dedicated healer.

Basic Class Feature:

nice in concept, but it seems you've only allowed the dedicated and off healer classes the ability to make healing surges efficient. I'd give the bonus action heal features to things that normally don't get access to strong healing, like fighter, rogue, and maybe even barbarian.

PS this probably belongs in the homebrew forum.