PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnating half a Dvati?

SangoProduction
2017-01-04, 01:30 AM
So, say one of the Dvati are killed, but they are druids. They aren't high enough level nor rich enough to pay for a resurrection spell, so they cast Reincarnate instead.

...What happens? Do both of them condense in to one form, even though one was alive? (That's probably the most sane interpretation I can think of.)

OldTrees1
2017-01-04, 01:39 AM
Rule side reasoning: You only get 1 race. Reincarnation changes the race so both Dvati would turn into 1 new hobgoblin(or something).

Theme side reasoning: I see Dvati as having 1 Soul so any effect that tries to put their soul in a body would either turn that body into a Dvati body or both partial souls would flow into the new body. In the latter case the magic involved is more insistent than the pull of death on their soul so the process would be instantaneous rather than using the Dvati 2nd death mechanic.

Combined reasoning: Reincarnate on a Dvati will result in the Dvati partial souls instantaneously going into the new body. They lose their Dvati racial traits and gain the racial traits of the new race.

Segev
2017-01-04, 10:51 AM
As much as I love the concept, the implementation of this race is so amazingly messy. It's not easy to do, so I don't fault the writers' efforts. Just...oof, it's hard.

My own efforts to "improve" on it tend to involve making it a feat instead of a race, and trying to treat the "other body" as a sort of demi-cohort.

Doctor Despair
2017-01-04, 03:09 PM
Perhaps the spell would just fizzle since you're only half-dead. ;) Actually, I think this might be a good thread to revive the Iron Heart Surge vs Death discussion since... well, you have a character who is alive to use Iron Heart Surge.

Segev
2017-01-04, 03:20 PM
I think, per the actual wording of Dvati rules, the two bodies are treated as separate people. That's why they can, but don't have to, share spells. (There's also a contradictory bit of rules over whether they share senses or can only sense each other's state of health.) Which means reincarnating one should be possible, by the RAW, but that the reincarnated one would lose their mental connection with their twin. Which the rules don't cover since the twin isn't dead, but would probably still be unpleasant for the original twin.

Thurbane
2017-01-04, 10:03 PM
Just thought I'd mention Jaxa Rivensoul (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16698972&postcount=464), an awesome variation on a similar theme.

weckar
2017-01-05, 05:31 AM
What's with all the Dvati threads recently...

Frankly, I think this whole thing is so contradictory the spell would simply fail.

Although a simpler example would probably be a Dvati being the target of a baleful polymorph..