PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on my character

AlistairLachant
2017-01-04, 03:58 AM
I'm semi-new to roleplaying having only played for about a year but since the start I've had this character around and have grown to greatly like him and I was wondering what are you thoughts on such an elf? Do you have any advice on how to improve the character? How would you as a Dungeon Master use him?

Alistair LaChant
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdfR812UMAIooqp.jpg:large

Introduction
A city elf, Allentar or elven servant of the Liontar family of Hangist, the quiet city. Alistair LaChant is a highly accomplished academic known by the courts of Hangist almost as well for his quick wit as his near encyopedic knowledge on all manner of scholarly topics.
A knowledge instilled in him at an early age as an apprentice under the cold firm quill of Arch-mage Victori Isengall whom he was placed under after the discovery of magical talent yet the Archmage was not a kind man and as a direct result of his brutal teaching methods Alistair has a slight yet ever present limp on his left side, thanks do far to many beatings at the hands of the Arch-mage's servants.
Despite his physical flaw, Alistair serves his masters as faithfully as if they were his own family, serving in equal parts as a scholarly adviser and magical bodyguard.

Notes

- Practices blood magic illegally but under the blessing of his masters, as a result of this practice he is often plagued by demons attempting to corrupt his soul. The Demon of Forgotten Things has specifically taken a special interest in him.

- Left-handed

- Speaks Elven, Old Imperial (Human) and the trade tongue

- Has a fascination with cats and a great dislike for dogs.

- Can recite the motto, the crest and family history of his masters from memory.

- Legally a slave, Alistair was born to be a Elven servant, the child of two other Allentar he is aware of his parents but expresses no interest in meeting them.

StoicLeaf
2017-01-04, 08:48 AM
He sounds a little edgy.
I assume he's a warlock.

I suppose from a DMs point of view, my first question would be:

why is he out adventuring? He sounds fairly important to the family that owns him.

Beyond that, there's not much to go on. His cat/dog thing and the fact that he doesn't want to meet his parents suggests a loner type, which in all likelyhood means chaotic neutral or some evil variant, which sets off even more alarm bells in my head.

Millstone85
2017-01-04, 09:22 AM
I've had this character around
How would you as a Dungeon Master use him?That sounds like an NPC. Is he one?

I assume he's a warlock.Doubtful. When you have an archmage instruct one of your slaves in the Art, it isn't to find said slave bound to another master.

AlistairLachant
2017-01-04, 03:36 PM
He is a bit of loner but not overly so, I would think he would be a rather passive person so in terms of alignment he would fall into the neutral category I believe.

In regards to class, he is indeed a warlock who has made a pact with the Demon of Forgotten Things in order to gain both his magical and more mundane knowledge. I do see where the "Why his adventuring?" questions comes from and honestly the only thing I can really think I that he has been sent out but his masters to accomplish a certain task that requires him to adventure. For example he was ordered to fetch a certain magical artifact or since the group I play has a ban or Resurrection magic he could possibly be seeking away to restore life to one of his masters.

Hes not an npc but in regards to my dungeon mastering question, he can be considered one or if you think of any hooks suitable for a player I would love to here those aswell

Millstone85
2017-01-04, 04:07 PM
In regards to class, he is indeed a warlock who has made a pact with the Demon of Forgotten Things in order to gain both his magical and more mundane knowledge.I maintain that his owners should be infuriated by this. They must have paid good money for their pretty house-elf to fill the space between his pointy ears, and then he cheats and borrows it all from some extraplanar contractor. What did he offer the demon, himself? You can't bargain with someone else's property.

Hes not an npc but in regards to my dungeon mastering question, he can be considered one or if you think of any hooks suitable for a player I would love to here those aswellWell, if his owners haven't found out already, that's one.

Fishyninja
2017-01-04, 04:11 PM
I
- Has a fascination with cats and a great dislike for dogs.

- Legally a slave, Alistair was born to be a Elven servant, the child of two other Allentar he is aware of his parents but expresses no interest in meeting them.

Hates dogs, this could be interesting for RP reasons, what are his thoughts on Gnolls and Werewolves, also he likes cats so does he like Tabaxi?

Also I'm repeating a trope hear but is there anyway he may want to remove himslef from his masters yoke, either through anger and dislike or his master's treatment of him, his need for freedom or even the fact that he thinks his master is imcompetent and not worthy as him as a slave?

Biggstick
2017-01-04, 04:12 PM
A city elf, Allentar or elven servant of the Liontar family of Hangist, the quiet city. Alistair LaChant is a highly accomplished academic known by the courts of Hangist almost as well for his quick wit as his near encyopedic knowledge on all manner of scholarly topics.
A knowledge instilled in him at an early age as an apprentice under the cold firm quill of Arch-mage Victori Isengall whom he was placed under after the discovery of magical talent yet the Archmage was not a kind man and as a direct result of his brutal teaching methods Alistair has a slight yet ever present limp on his left side, thanks do far to many beatings at the hands of the Arch-mage's servants.
Despite his physical flaw, Alistair serves his masters as faithfully as if they were his own family, serving in equal parts as a scholarly adviser and magical bodyguard.

First bolded section. Who exactly in the family does Alistair serve? The head of the family? The sons? Daughters? Give a couple names and positions held by those names within said family.

Second bolded section. Is he really that highly accomplished of an academic? What level are you starting at? Based on this statement, plus the indication that Alistair is indeed a Warlock, I'd definitely see the character as a Tomelock. Ritually casting spells from a Patron-provided book absolutely seems in line with someone trying to emulate his Archmage teacher.

Third bolded section. Here's the part the DM can take advantage of to hook you into a story. This can be anything that fits your fancy, but here is a quick and easy idea.

Someone in the family has given you a task that can't be talked about. It's something that has to be done but a member of the Liontar family can't be the one who does it. It's instead been tasked to you the loyal servant. You may or may not know that this thing that has to be done will cause problems or bring shame should you be caught.

In doing said thing, you're either caught in the act or the act is discovered before you have time to escape the situation. The only thing you can do is flee, as you don't want the family's name spoiled by your actions.

You are now out and about in the world. You never planned on leaving, and you can't show your actual face in Hangist anymore (the Disguise Self at will Invocation might do you a solid here). Your path in life has now been opened up to any sort of possibility you can imagine.

This was all arranged by your Patron in some way shape or form. Your Patron wants you doing things out in the wider world. [Your character shouldn't have any idea that the Patron was the one who facilitated your "exile"]
It might not necessarily fit with how you view the character, but it seems just as likely as any story to me. I agree with Millstone in that this character seems valuable to the family, and he seems to enjoy his place there. You're going to have to create some sort of circumstance in which he is forced to leave. Having the family task him with "collecting" some artifact doesn't cut it for me.