PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my players to more interested in creating characters with personality?

IounsStones
2017-01-04, 05:22 AM
So I have tried starting a new campaign, but at the character creation all most of my players don`t even try to create a background or personality.
Instead, they try choosing the most powerfull options and don`t care about what their choises mean for their characters persona. For example, how did the dwarf who grew up in the mountains with a King as father end up becoming a pirate?

On these forum dwells clever creatures, and now I ask you for help; How can I help my players create good characters?
(It sounds bad to say it, but it makes the game less enjoyable for me and the other players :smallfrown:)

Ninja_Prawn
2017-01-04, 05:50 AM
It's an unfortunate fact that different people enjoy different things. Some people like to tell stories, or escape into a fictional character - while others like to mow down goblins as efficiently as possible. You can't change who your players are (short of finding new players), so you may be onto a fool's errand when you ask "how can I help my players create good characters?"

You might have more success if you give them something quick and painless, that gives you as DM enough material to craft a story that fits the characters. Maybe write up a few cards that say things like "when I was a child, I fell from a ____ and suffered an injury to my ____. That's why my ____ score is so low." or "I once got really drunk and tried to fight a ____. It was a painful lesson that taught me ____." Then put them in a hat and make each player draw three and fill them out. Then you've got some building blocks and your players have a few easy prompts that might encourage them to say "oh, actually, I get nervous around horses. Can we walk instead?"

BillyBobShorton
2017-01-04, 06:56 AM
The way I handle these types of players is to engage them.

First off, do you have a map? I hope so. Sit them down before the session and show them the world they are adventuring.

Give a brief backstory of the campaign, point to places of significance, tell a tale about some of the geography and strategic points of interest:

"This river was the main trade route for Dwarves and the Kingdom of Seattle. Then the evil Sorcerer Barry had his minions attack merchants. Now he has a stronghold not far from he capital and may strike soon."

And so on...

Let them look a while then ask them where they're from or want to hail from. So the dwarf was from those mountains near the trade route and now his people cannot trade/sell, have less food, and less desire to forge and be dwarfy... is he goikg to let his stand?

And why IS the son of a dwarf king a pirate/sailor? This is the question you should not try to make sense of; you need to make HIM answer. If he stares blankly and says because he gets perception... GIVE him an answer.

"OK, you grew tired of the halls and mines, and wanted to travel the world. Your father exiled you, saying to return only when you realize your duties, have a sense of honor, and can provide for your people the way an heir to the throne should. So yo are torn. Part of you wants redemption, te other feels rebellious, yet due to your lineage, you have a sense of entitlement, are brash, arrogant, and bossy. But also determined. Now you have a way to prove you are deserving and worthy of the throne, while also seeing the world at the same time. Do you wish to let the evil Barry oppress your kin?"

Now he has something to play for besides stats and a mechanical PC powergame build.

Work with each player to develope a backstory and purpose. Remind them that, while stats and synergies and powers are cool, and that all WILL come, a huge part of the FUN of D&D (and part of the game itself) is role playing. Characters are more than just numbers to crunch for bragging rights. Remind them of heroes and how they also had to deal with ther humanity. Batman doesn't just kick the sh*t out of bad guys 24 /7... he has a company to run, people he cares for, laws to obey, a PERSONALITYto uphold, grief he struggles with.

And keep them involved in their characters. Create small side missions for each player relative to their stories (Sailor has to deliver something, Sage needs to aquire a book for his school, Nomad is needed as a guide), and don't hesitate to make some NPC's attributed to their backgrounds. Maybe a rival, maybe a friend, maybe little dreams and visions. Do they follow a diety? Incorporate it occasionally. This will have them caring about their PC's as people, and most likely, embracing the RP/backstory side of the game as much as the build mechanics. It should also lead to more colorful encounters.

Lastly, good RP can (and should, IMO) be rewarded. A little xp for solid/accurate role playing/problem solving will encourage others to do the same.

Hope that helps.

Randomthom
2017-01-04, 07:04 AM
5th Edition delivers this quite cleverly as part of the character creation process with backgrounds. Sure, the player might have picked Criminal because it was the most optimal choice but they should still have selected an ideal, a flaw etc. I'd suggest that you, as the DM, make a note of these and try to place events and challenges that interact with these character traits. Initially you might need to remind the player of these elements of their character (if all they are seeing is the numbers) but when you start giving tangible rewards (XP is probably best) then the system-gamer should begin to embrace the character side of the game a bit more.

To really encourage this, I'd suggest being somewhat heavy-handed with the XP handouts early on (50XP at level 1 is not to be sniffed at) and perhaps scale it up for the first few levels so it continues to contribute towards the overall XP gain, you can taper it off somewhat once they are starting to play their characters as people (though don't remove it entirely as then the players will know and might, even subconsciously, resent being led down this new way of gaming).

BillyBobShorton
2017-01-04, 07:23 AM
5th Edition delivers this quite cleverly as part of the character creation process with backgrounds. Sure, the player might have picked Criminal because it was the most optimal choice but they should still have selected an ideal, a flaw etc. I'd suggest that you, as the DM, make a note of these and try to place events and challenges that interact with these character traits. Initially you might need to remind the player of these elements of their character (if all they are seeing is the numbers) but when you start giving tangible rewards (XP is probably best) then the system-gamer should begin to embrace the character side of the game a bit more.

To really encourage this, I'd suggest being somewhat heavy-handed with the XP handouts early on (50XP at level 1 is not to be sniffed at) and perhaps scale it up for the first few levels so it continues to contribute towards the overall XP gain, you can taper it off somewhat once they are starting to play their characters as people (though don't remove it entirely as then the players will know and might, even subconsciously, resent being led down this new way of gaming).

+1 to this. Have them pick all the traits and get them to explain each as it pertains to their character. "Someone is in jail for a crime I committed, and I'm ok with that."

Why? Who? What was the crime? Why does someone else deserve to be punshed for your crime? What? No reason? Oh, because you're just a d&ck? Ok, you're evil. Paladins will probably murder you on sight. Just sayin. Or maybe that guy escaped and his revenge will happen at a really, REALLY bad time. Care to re-think? Maybe he wronged you so you framed him? Maybe he was a crooked cop and you had to steal because he demanded too much $ from your parents. Then you got good at it, so you stole his captain's sword and planted it on him.

You are a crook, but loyal to your friends. Why do you seperate law and virtue?

Corsair14
2017-01-04, 07:39 AM
Give heavy xp for role playing to individuals and half xp for fighting for the group.

XmonkTad
2017-01-04, 09:41 AM
Right now your players are most invested in the numbers their characters have. In order to have them invest more in their backstories, it's important to give them a place in the world. Where do they come from? Why did they leave? Make sure they can answer these questions.

When I was still getting into D&D, my DM (who had years of experience already) said "give your character a secret goal that the party doesn't know about". There was a lot of guidance that followed, but this helped me invest in the character and want to explore the world more to complete that goal.

Tanarii
2017-01-04, 02:58 PM
By regularly giving them Inspiration for playing up their Personality Traits, Ideals, Bonds and Flaws.

Edit: Seriously. Some players will play up their personality because they like doing that, but they will appreciate the crunch for it on top of that. Others will start doing it because they like a crunchy reward, and will come to enjoy having characters with personality.

You may get objections from players budding authors that mistaken believe that backstory = well developed character, or from those that want to just play an avatar of themself.

Fishyninja
2017-01-04, 03:18 PM
It's an unfortunate fact that different people enjoy different things. Some people like to tell stories, or escape into a fictional character - while others like to mow down goblins as efficiently as possible. You can't change who your players are (short of finding new players), so you may be onto a fool's errand when you ask "how can I help my players create good characters?"

You might have more success if you give them something quick and painless, that gives you as DM enough material to craft a story that fits the characters. Maybe write up a few cards that say things like "when I was a child, I fell from a ____ and suffered an injury to my ____. That's why my ____ score is so low." or "I once got really drunk and tried to fight a ____. It was a painful lesson that taught me ____." Then put them in a hat and make each player draw three and fill them out. Then you've got some building blocks and your players have a few easy prompts that might encourage them to say "oh, actually, I get nervous around horses. Can we walk instead?"

This.....is such a good idea, can I 'borrow' it for if I ever DM?
To add onto this slightly, generally by providing tasks like this people are more likely (if they want to) to expand their options. I feel this will be a great way of getting some of the shier or more nervous people to start RPing a little. It's not everyone's cup of tea, example, I like playing out a character, hate voice acting!

Also as the others have said you are going to have to deal with optimiser's as players as well, do not punish them or think of them as bad players, they just play differently.

Give heavy xp for role playing to individuals and half xp for fighting for the group.

I hope you were being humourous.

King539
2017-01-04, 03:27 PM
Personally, I care about both optimization and RP. I will make a heavily optimized character, but also make sure that they can be RPed and have an interesting personality.

JellyPooga
2017-01-04, 05:19 PM
Be careful with handing out "roleplaying xp"...it's easy to find yourself rewarding players for doing things you like them doing, rather than really roleplaying. It's also easy to overlook quieter players; being a loud-mouth isn't the same as being a good roleplayer.

One way I've found of giving RP xp that takes some of the onus off of you, is to give everyone a set amount (say 100xp) each session that they must give to someone else based on who they thought roleplayed the best that session.

Any experience you award to a player for good roleplaying goes into their own pool of xp to be handed out; this encourages players to roleplay well because a) giving is its own reward and b) roleplaying well, they're more likely to receive multiple awards from other players. As an aside, it also encourages players to work together and not be douche-bags to one another!

In groups of 5+ I like to tell players they must split their RPxp Pool (any way they like) between two other players to avoid people getting left out. There's no reason you couldn't do this in smaller groups as well.

This way, everyone gets a say in who "roleplayed the best" and no-one feels as "gipped" for receiving less xp that session as if it's just one person judging it.

Just a suggestion, but if you use this method, I advise devising an "anonymous donation" method to avoid players just giving to whoever has the least xp, or "power levelling" characters that have tasty Class Features coming up! Writing their nominee(s) on a slip of paper and handing it to you (the GM) to read out who got what works for me.

Ninja-Radish
2017-01-04, 06:09 PM
Honestly, backgrounds is one of the worst things about 5E. Personally, I wouldn't bother with making the players explain how they became pirates, nobles, etc.

I would just ask each player in the group to pick 2 skills, and that's their background. With players who aren't interested in roleplay, it's the easiest solution.

Tanarii
2017-01-04, 08:02 PM
SFor example, how did the dwarf who grew up in the mountains with a King as father end up becoming a pirate?

Honestly, backgrounds is one of the worst things about 5E. Personally, I wouldn't bother with making the players explain how they became pirates, nobles, etc.
Yeah I totally missed the implications that the problem is Dwarf, which the PHB straight up says dislike boats, combined with Pirate Background. I assume for the Variant Bad Reputation Feature.

Normally I don't sweat a player on how their Race, Class and Feature all fit together. What interests me is that they apply personality (Racial Stereotypes, Alignment, Personality, Ideal, Bond, Flaw) during play to in-character decision making, not the back-history. But some combinations do seem to require a little bit of explanation as to how they came about ...

JellyPooga
2017-01-04, 08:19 PM
Yeah I totally missed the implications that the problem is Dwarf, which the PHB straight up says dislike boats, combined with Pirate Background. I assume for the Variant Bad Reputation Feature.

Haven't you ever heard of the terrible Dwarven LAND Pirates of the Shavenig Plains? They ply the seas of grass aboard their black and cursed (and wheeled) ship; The Savannah Sabre. They Plunder hapless caravans of their booty, following the trade winds where e'er they may blow (ok, so it's "roads" not "winds", but you get the gist), pillaging unsuspecting travelers ("What the $%^&? Where'd that ship come from? The nearest river is 10 miles away, let alone the bloody sea!"), their cannons laying waste to even fortified towns as the bloody and murderous crew leap, screaming from the rails into battle, a mess of eye-patches, hook-hands and peg-legs behind vicious cutlasses and deadly pistols.

Sounds pretty Dwarfish to me (well, if you're a daft sod like I am it does :smallwink:)

Nifft
2017-01-04, 08:28 PM
IMHO the personality traits that develop from character decisions during gameplay are a bazillion times more interesting than any number of pages types up before play begins.

So to get more personality from the PCs: put them in more interesting situations.

Let their actions have consequences, both good and bad.

Make your NPCs into people with motives & personalities, and the PCs will develop personalities in relation and in proportion.

LaserFace
2017-01-04, 08:31 PM
So I have tried starting a new campaign, but at the character creation all most of my players don`t even try to create a background or personality.
Instead, they try choosing the most powerfull options and don`t care about what their choises mean for their characters persona. For example, how did the dwarf who grew up in the mountains with a King as father end up becoming a pirate?

On these forum dwells clever creatures, and now I ask you for help; How can I help my players create good characters?
(It sounds bad to say it, but it makes the game less enjoyable for me and the other players :smallfrown:)

Give backgrounds cultural meaning

Make your NPCs with personality and real motives

Clearly convey the tone of your world

Talk with the players about the game they want and how it fits into what you want.

Also, some players are just terrible no matter what you do. Don't sweat it too much.

Mellack
2017-01-04, 08:49 PM
Some players like to let the character personality develop during game play rather than build it up beforehand. Having lost their childhood friend to a drow raid doesn't do much if drow never show up in the adventure. It might be better for them to have an intense dislike for goblins after they got KOed during the first fight with them. Perhaps try to build on events that happen in game. A few lucky seduction rolls and they decide to be a womanizer. A string of missed perception checks and they might say the PC constantly has their face in a book.
Another question is how often do they change characters, due to death, changing campaigns, or even getting bored? If you are having to make a new guy every other week that tends to lead to detachment.

Sigreid
2017-01-04, 08:56 PM
Some players like to let the character personality develop during game play rather than build it up beforehand. Having lost their childhood friend to a drow raid doesn't do much if drow never show up in the adventure. It might be better for them to have an intense dislike for goblins after they got KOed during the first fight with them. Perhaps try to build on events that happen in game. A few lucky seduction rolls and they decide to be a womanizer. A string of missed perception checks and they might say the PC constantly has their face in a book.
Another question is how often do they change characters, due to death, changing campaigns, or even getting bored? If you are having to make a new guy every other week that tends to lead to detachment.

This. I'm one of those that my character will tell me who he or she is as I play her. It may sound weird, but I don't like to lay out the history of someone I have never met. :smallbiggrin:

Laserlight
2017-01-04, 09:08 PM
Instead of giving XP for RP, I give Inspiration.

Tanarii
2017-01-04, 09:17 PM
Haven't you ever heard of the terrible Dwarven LAND Pirates of the Shavenig Plains? They ply the seas of grass aboard their black and cursed (and wheeled) ship; The Savannah Sabre. They Plunder hapless caravans of their booty, following the trade winds where e'er they may blow (ok, so it's "roads" not "winds", but you get the gist), pillaging unsuspecting travelers ("What the $%^&? Where'd that ship come from? The nearest river is 10 miles away, let alone the bloody sea!"), their cannons laying waste to even fortified towns as the bloody and murderous crew leap, screaming from the rails into battle, a mess of eye-patches, hook-hands and peg-legs behind vicious cutlasses and deadly pistols.

Sounds pretty Dwarfish to me (well, if you're a daft sod like I am it does :smallwink:)

Perfect example of a little bit of extra explanation. :smallbiggrin:

CaptainSarathai
2017-01-04, 09:28 PM
To really encourage this, I'd suggest being somewhat heavy-handed with the XP handouts early on (50XP at level 1 is not to be sniffed at)
No.

No.

By regularly giving them Inspiration for playing up their Personality Traits, Ideals, Bonds and Flaws.
Yes!
Handing out XP is worthless, because unless you're willing to let a player level up before the rest of the party, and potentially let players level behind the party, then it's just an empty gesture. The less variance in level you're comfortable with, the less useful "RPXP" really feels.
Meanwhile, Inspiration is quick, instant gratification. Just throw them Inspiration, easy Advantage or a reroll: boom.

RP is also the only time I allow for transparency in the rolls and DCs etc.
For instance if a player is doing a good job with roleplay, then I might say, "since you gave such a convincing argument, go ahead and take a +5 to that Persuasion roll."

So all Dwarfs hate boats and water? That sounds silly. That's like saying all "nerds" are potbellied neckbeards who live in their parents' basements. Yeah, the stereotype exists, and I can verify that I have indeed met that stereotype personified. However, I just spent an evening playing boardgames with my friend who has completed combat tours as a Marine infantryman in Iraq, and he will say unabashedly that "all Marines are huge nerds - D&D, videogames, TCGs - they'll just never admit it."
So you get the rare dwarf who isn't scared of water. Y'know, an adventurous Dwarf... you could call him an Adventurer!
Alternatively, how many people in this world have seen dwarfs? I mean, most Americans think that Australians "throw anuvver shrimp on'a barbie" - all because of a horrific Outback Steakhouse commercial. They don't say that at all; they call shrimp 'prawns,' for starters. But how many Americans have met a "real" Australian? Dwarfs could have the same problem. One story gets written and becomes popular, featuring an ocean-scared Dwarf, and suddenly an entire nautical culture gets rolled under.

JellyPooga
2017-01-04, 10:06 PM
One story gets written and becomes popular, featuring an ocean-scared Dwarf, and suddenly an entire nautical culture gets rolled under.

I believe that Dwarf may have been called Flint Fireforge and the story in question would be Dragons of Autumn Twilight of the Dragonlance Chronicles...

As it happens, certain Dwarves in the Old World (of Games Workshop/Warhammer origin) have a remarkably strong nautical tradition involving iron-clad ships, top of the line guns/weaponry and even submersible craft. It would be interesting to see Dwarven craftsmanship put to such uses in D&D; after all the Apparatus of Kwilash is a thing...

Tanarii
2017-01-04, 10:26 PM
So all Dwarfs hate boats and water? That sounds silly.
The typical dwarf does. And racial stereotypes exist for a reason. So that plays can get in the mindset of something that is, after all, not a human. Since we're humans, an easy way to do that is stereotypes.

That's not to say that Pcs shouldn't break stereotypes to one degree or another. Of course they should. But for racial stereotypes, it's generally better to start with the stereotype and work outwards from there. Yes, you're an adventuring Dwarven Pirate ... how unusual. That's a great opportunity to ask ... Why?

I mean, to a degree, just having a class at all is worth asking that same question. But when you're playing a Half-Orc Noble, what's going on? Usually they come from Orc tribes or city slums, per the PHB. If you're playing a Lawful Neutral Wood Elf, why is he different in outlook from other elves? If you're a Edgelord Forest Gnome Warlock Criminal, a Druid Urchin (ie city raised), or a Barbarian Sage, that's unusual.

These are opportunities. Of course, some players can and do ignore them, they're making choices purely on mechanics. But IMO that's a missed opportunity.

Nifft
2017-01-04, 10:30 PM
The typical dwarf does. And racial stereotypes exist for a reason.

Sure, but the reason usually turns out to be ignorance with a dash of fear.

Tanarii
2017-01-04, 10:34 PM
Sure, but the reason usually turns out to be ignorance with a dash of fear.
Ha. Dwarves are clearly just money-grubbing, hide-bound, and stupidly stubborn. Elves flighty, arrogant, and detached. Etc etc. :smallbiggrin:

CaptainSarathai
2017-01-05, 02:33 AM
As it happens, certain Dwarves in the Old World (of Games Workshop/Warhammer origin) have a remarkably strong nautical tradition involving iron-clad ships, top of the line guns/weaponry and even submersible craft. It would be interesting to see Dwarven craftsmanship put to such uses in D&D; after all the Apparatus of Kwilash is a thing...
That's what I was thinking of - long time Warhammer player. Alas, they've killed it.

Yes, you're an adventuring Dwarven Pirate ... how unusual. That's a great opportunity to ask ... Why?

I mean, to a degree, just having a class at all is worth asking that same question. But when you're playing a Half-Orc Noble, what's going on? Usually they come from Orc tribes or city slums, per the PHB. If you're playing a Lawful Neutral Wood Elf, why is he different in outlook from other elves? If you're a Edgelord Forest Gnome Warlock Criminal, a Druid Urchin (ie city raised), or a Barbarian Sage, that's unusual.

These are opportunities. Of course, some players can and do ignore them, they're making choices purely on mechanics. But IMO that's a missed opportunity.

I don't ignore them, but I also don't really worry about it. I can explain anything through fluff/refluffs:

HalfOrc Noble - you're a b****rd. Your mother was a princess Xth in line for the throne and was attacked/pillaged somewhere. She died in childbirth, and your grandmother persuaded the King to keep you, out of respect for your late mother. Or you're tribal nobility- son of a chief, etc. All your Lore and History comes from what the tribe knows, and your retainers are a few lowly servants and a Skald to remember your fierce deeds in song.

LN Wood Elf - depends on the class, really. If he's a Druid, then he only cares that a natural balance is maintained, and knows his place (and all Wood Elves) in that balance. Maybe he is an ascetic, and hearkens back to a time when the Elves were great explorers and conquerors, and now thinks they're all just lazy, no-good hippies with their singing and dancing and painting.

Forest Gnome Lock Criminal - you and few fellow gnomes have found a slumbering secret deep in your forest. While other gnomes are content to hide away and let the world pass, you and your compatriots dream of a day when the gnomes join the wider world. You have created a small, rustic thieves guild and are slowly working your fingers into the cities to spread the cult of your great find to the other gnomes, who regard you forest folk as backwards superstitious simpletons.

Druid Urchin - you grew up on the streets, streets so choked with dirt and misery that you almost never even saw the sun. One day you found a hole in the wall just large enough for your child body to sneak through, and you got your first taste of the clean freedom of the outside. You never thought to go back for a long time, and by then, you were too large to crawl back through the hole. You never forgot your friends and family suffocating in those slums, and now you seek to bend nature against the tyrants who oppress the poor with their "civilization."

Barbarian Sage - instead of "I know where to find that book," and "I once read in a book..." It becomes
"Old One Tooth, the elder Shaman, used to speak a tale of..." and "I know where there is a tribe, and their skalds still sing the tales of the World That Was. Perhaps they have the knowledge we seek"

So yeah, ask why they're different, but remember - if they were "just an average dwarf," they wouldn't make a very good hero. And really, a table is most fun when everyone gets to do as much of what they want as possible. Its not your job as DM to say "no, Dwarfs are scared of water, no Pirating for you."
Its your job to help that player work that into their story. And if it still doesn't work out that he was a pirate (you're in a desert, or whatever) then just refluff it without changing the mechanics (he was a desert raider, like a highwayman or caravan robber - basically a pirate)

TrinculoLives
2017-01-05, 04:39 AM
Yes!
Handing out XP is worthless, because unless you're willing to let a player level up before the rest of the party, and potentially let players level behind the party, then it's just an empty gesture. The less variance in level you're comfortable with, the less useful "RPXP" really feels.
Meanwhile, Inspiration is quick, instant gratification. Just throw them Inspiration, easy Advantage or a reroll: boom.

RP is also the only time I allow for transparency in the rolls and DCs etc.
For instance if a player is doing a good job with roleplay, then I might say, "since you gave such a convincing argument, go ahead and take a +5 to that Persuasion roll."

I'm okay with disparate levels in the party. I use both Inspiration and XP rewards for good roleplay choices.

The problem I have is remembering to use Inspiration, and the problem the players have is remembering to actually read what they wrote down on their character sheets. :smallconfused:

Tanarii
2017-01-05, 06:23 AM
I don't ignore them, but I also don't really worry about it. I can explain anything through fluff/refluffs:
So you do exactly what I'm talking about, as shown by your examples. What's the problem again?

The problem I have is remembering to use Inspiration, and the problem the players have is remembering to actually read what they wrote down on their character sheets. :smallconfused:Lol. You guys are still having a blast anyway, I hope? :smallbiggrin:

Dr. Cliché
2017-01-05, 06:59 AM
The thing that most encourages me to give my characters more personality (or to try and bring their personality across more) is to play alongside players whose characters have more personality than mine.

Spellbreaker26
2017-01-05, 07:32 AM
I can think of plenty of backgrounds for a Dwarf Pirate.

1. You have a strange and disturbing obsession with the sea, therefore you were exiled by your clan and, with no other options, turned to piracy.

2. You initially hated the water, but after being trapped on a boat by pirates you snapped and joined up with them. Now you have a love-hate relationship with the sea.

3. The underwater lakes deep in the dwarven stronghold are beautiful; and also a nest of underground dwarven pirates, who terrorise dwarven settlements before retreating using the lakes to escape in boats.

Corsair14
2017-01-05, 08:44 AM
I actually play a dwarf pirate barbarian(marine) in my current game, lone survivor of a dwarven ironclad privateer which fell for a trap set by the Imperial Elven Navy, knocked out in the initial springing of the trap. I assume sold as a slave by the damn elves. DM hasn't clarified what happened between getting knocked out and waking up(starting the game). Obviously we are not playing in the Snoring Realms.

I have zero issue with different levels. Then again I have been playing since 2nd ed where different levels in the party were the norm. Plus if I want an RP centric game over a combat centric game then giving more xp for good RP just makes more sense.

The Shadowdove
2017-01-05, 02:52 PM
There are two kinds of players i encounter often.

The ones who enjoys having their backstory impact their character throughout sessions, thus role-playing how it has helped them become the person they are.

And those who are either a build obsessed killing machine, or a goof that wants to just make things humorous as they go. Maybe even laughing at their own jokes to fill the silence of when their character's antics don't impress anyone.

In reality you can be humorous, have a clever build, and still roleplay an interesting character!

Heck, I know they don't play d&d in a traditional sense, but even the cartoon like animated series like "sharpie and quark" or "harmonquest" are intentionally funny, sometimes impulsive (often actually...), And wrapped up in ridiculously large plots. However, they do it while including their silly character's background.

In a random dialogue after failing a check and being called out on his ineffectiveness,"My dad just wanted me...To make chairs" *tears*

Even their backstory and the plot device used to rope them together as adventurers is brought up often, and often joked of in a way to move their decisions along in character.

If they're the kind of players to like podcasts or recorded games of celebrities, voice actors, etc. Point them at the antics of acquisitions Incorporated or critical role.

Those guys use their characters in a consistently in character way, while continuing to trump obstacles and create a fun and not "tryhard" roleplay setting.

Jamgretter
2017-01-05, 03:57 PM
Don't worry too much about a weird or weak background, in my (admittedly limited) experience traits that develop throughout the campaign as they make decisions are far more interesting then the intial ones. Most of the PCs I'm DMing right now (bless their hearts), started off as walking, talking stats and abilitys. Eventually however, I gave everyone a chance to retcon their backstorys and everyone got into it way more. Try to connect quests to them and decisions that matter. If you get them to care about the world, they should hopefully start caring about their characters.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-05, 05:47 PM
Backstories are basically a trap. Oh, they're nice to think about, and in certain styles of game/GM can use them to make you feel special, but I'm general they're FAR less important than how the character reacts NOW. Instead of asking for background, ask for, oh, a like, a dislike, a hobby and a quirk.

If you must have backstories, do it in a fun way. Fate suggests a neat way to do this: have everyone come up with a recent adventure they participated in, then pick one other person in whose adventure they played a supporting role. Then someone else who played a supporting role in theirs. You wind up with a nicely connected party with some idea about what they do and how they react to things.

IounsStones
2017-04-01, 10:18 AM
Thank you for all the wonderfull ideas! They have certantly helped a lot:smallsmile:

Garresh
2017-04-01, 02:01 PM
I don't like how people are suggesting massive xp bonuses for roleplay or penalties to combat exp. The players enjoy combat. Punishing them for enjoying combat is just going to create an adversarial dm/player dynamic which will start a death spiral for your group.

Look, coming up with a backstory from scratch is hard, even for experienced roleplayers. I often start with a bare bones concept and flesh it out over the first few sessions as I get a feel for the setting and who my character really is.

Give them the combat they want, and along the way show them interesting characters and locations. Ideally you can have both engaging combat, daring fights, awesome loot, and the counterpart of involved characters, engaging story, and intrigue.

But you won't get there with the mindset of "my players playstyle is wrong". You disagree on what you want to focus on. That's fine. But strike the balance. Try to weave your narratives into exciting set pieces and battles, and the line between then will blur and disappear.