PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Intelligence Checks

Vaz
2017-01-04, 07:25 AM
I have a Character with an Intelligence of 14, in one of my games who is wanting to take Planar Touchstone for the Catalogues of Enlughtenment. The really want it for the Domain power (Magic Domain) as they don't have the skill points to take it UMD nor do they want to drop the class they are.

However it has some nifty spells that through my own experience are rather awesome, but suffer from hoarders syndrome - you have the awesome stuff but never use it as there is more to come later. I want my player to use these abilities (a history of them stashing potions, but not using them, which caused me to write an encounter which killed her character by not taking the AC boost potions and health potions I gave her) and consequently 2 others as they tried to recover her body combined with above average rolls on my side) but I don't want to handwaive as the party doesn't like it either.

Now, its downside is that the spells are 3 uses of, before recharge is necessary. 1d4 weeks downtime isn't something I want to really include within the current arc, as Mechanus is "Normal" Time trait in MotP, and the party experienced it earlier.

So, that leaves them having to make the DC25 check. They don't have a massive int (14, above).

I'm not too keen on handwaiving, so how do I let this player (Wis based Swordsage/Jaunter/Telflammar Shadowlord) hit a DC25 without taking 20.

I will allow a take 10, because of a bookish background (think Assassin's Creed, where they are scholars and killers), so she still needs a DC15, but with only a +2. I don't want to give her a +6 Int item this.early; there is a Beguiler in the party who has an utterly ridiculous spell DC already and making her 'I win' with a +3 DC and an additional higher level spell when there are other party members who target Will saves is a bit annoying to balance already.

I know I can handwaive, i just don't want to unless I have to. Thanks!

Khedrac
2017-01-04, 07:52 AM
Can they find a marshal with Motivate Intelligence and persuade them to help?

Inevitability
2017-01-04, 07:58 AM
Focused Mind (RotW) adds +2 to intelligence checks you're taking 10 on, but it requires being an elf.

Adept Spirit (MoI) grants a +2 bonus to intelligence checks, which can be increased by investing essentia in it.

weckar
2017-01-04, 08:00 AM
Marshal & +6 int potion should get one most of the way there if they somehow manage to pull off a circumstance bonus.

Stoic
2017-01-04, 10:05 AM
The following spells are different bonus types so they should stack:

Fox's Cunning (Player's Handbook) Enhancement Bonus
Mechanus Mind (Spell Compendium) Competence Bonus
Adept Spirit (Magic of Incarnum) Insight Bonus