PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladin Build Help

BMF
2017-01-04, 01:50 PM
Hey guys, long time lurker. Finally getting to play (not DM) my first 5e game, had a couple of paladin-related questions.

DM had us roll stats, I ended with [16 16 14 12 12 6]. Based on my character concept I’d like to be variant human, Oath of Ancients, and based on the group makeup I am certain it would be most useful for me to be the tank.

With that in mind, I see a couple of possibilities - will be going sword and board regardless:

OPTION 1
STR 16 (+1)
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 6
WIS 12
CHA 16 (+1)
Take Shield Master to start, then +1 STR/CHA at level 4.

OPTION 2
STR 16 (+1)
DEX 12
CON 14 (+1)
INT 6
WIS 12
CHA 16
Take Heavy Armor Master to start (so 18 STR), then Resilient (CON) at level 4 (bumping to 16 CON plus proficiency).

Anyone have recommendations between these two, or any alternatives they think would work better (Inspiring Leader maybe)?

Secondly, would you recommend I take Dueling or Defense as my level 2 fighting style?

Appreciate the help.

Navigator
2017-01-04, 11:05 PM
I think starting with Shield Master would be a really good thing if you're playing from level 1. It gives you something interesting to do until your spells and smites start coming online. At 4th I would take Resilient (Con), then worry about rounding out your last odd stat. If you're dedicated to shield or have interest in MCing a full caster you should consider War Caster as well.

As for fighting style, I personally like Defense because one more AC is a bigger survivability jump than it seems, but Duelist is certainly not a bad choice. Both have good mileage for a front-liner.

ChildofLuthic
2017-01-04, 11:40 PM
For me, I'd probably go shield master at first level, because being able to knock people down at that level is going to be so useful for keeping enemies corralled.

I also like the idea of going STR=CHA>CON, if only because having a good CHA score gives you a use outside of combat.

I'd say play first level and see if you want dueling or defense. See whether you want extra damage or extra AC. If you're managing to get everyone to hit you, though, defense is the way to go.

Foxhound438
2017-01-05, 02:34 AM
Inspiring leader is super strong as a support feature, I'd say it's good for your level 1 feat- effectively +4 HP on everyone on your party, increasing every level, and making it slightly less important to draw everything's attention all the time as even the squishiest members will be able to take a hit after that.

For stats here I'd personally go 17/x/14/x/x/17 after racial boosts, split ASI 1 between con and charisma, then max out charisma at 8. Rolling decently high base stats opens up an ASI for you to take an extra feat at some point, probably wouldn't worry too much about boosting con since the inspiring leader is going to confer a decent amount of HP to you anyway.

Biggstick
2017-01-05, 11:39 AM
Six Intelligence?! Seeing as how you're someone who DM's, are you prepared to be playing a Paladin with only 6 Intelligence? I mean sure, you have the 12 Wisdom to "balance" that out, but I wouldn't think it's enough.

I think you should instead put that 6 into Dexterity and go with the Shieldmaster feat. The bonus AC to single target Dex saves will help cancel out your negative. As for the standard AOE spells, you'll have Aura of Warding and be resistant to the damage anyways.

Playing a Paladin that's a bit more clumsy then usual is easier then playing one that has barely managed to learn to read.

BMF
2017-01-05, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys, these perspectives are helpful.

I think I'll do the shield master route.

Biggstick: I had to stick that 6 somewhere! I think a dumb paladin makes more sense than a competent warrior who can't tie his own shoes. Character concept is that he was stolen by/abandoned to the fey as a child, then returned to the world as a young adult. Low intelligence score reflects an upbringing devoid of non-fey education. I agree this would be hard sell for many paladins but I think a green knight can pull it off.

Biggstick
2017-01-05, 01:17 PM
Biggstick: I had to stick that 6 somewhere! I think a dumb paladin makes more sense than a competent warrior who can't tie his own shoes. Character concept is that he was stolen by/abandoned to the fey as a child, then returned to the world as a young adult. Low intelligence score reflects an upbringing devoid of non-fey education. I agree this would be hard sell for many paladins but I think a green knight can pull it off.

I guesssssssss... XD

That sounds like an interesting character though. Was he taken to the Fey Wild (or wherever it is that Fey reside, I can't quite recall)? The things he learned there might not quite apply to the world he's been returned to.

BMF
2017-01-05, 02:13 PM
Yeah, he was taken to the Feywild for some inscrutable fey purpose (maybe they just thought it was funny). The fey told him that his parents had abandoned him in the woods, which my character believes but may or may not be true. Given how time works there, that could have initially happened a hundred years ago or yesterday; regardless, when my character reached the cusp of adulthood, the fey sent him back, maybe because they were bored since he wasn't a kid anymore.

I'm going to play him as not being completely dumb, but totally lacking practical real-world knowledge other than some battle tactics he was taught upon his return. The rest of the party will easily be able to talk him into anything once he trusts them. I will also take auto-fails on any knowledge checks not involving fey.

djreynolds
2017-01-06, 04:47 AM
Resilient con is great. But here's the kicker, if you take it at 5th it adds +3 with proficiency. I would take right out of the gate at 1st shield master... just for the evasion it provides.

At 4th even out that charisma and strength and 6th level, you will add +4 to all saves. To everyone's saves

Option 1 is better and I like dueling style, it ain't much but +2 adds up. You can always add a level or 2 of fighter later on for a style, second wind, and action surge.

And depending on many factors, player knowledge, how the DM attacks, war caster and hold person are very nice for you and teammates

And I concur with BIGGSTICK put that 6 in dex, shield master should cover you there. Its not like you were going to pass those saves anyhow.. shield master gives evasion... half damage.