PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 5e] The Civilian Initiative: Saviors of Varcona (IC)

CovertCobalt
2017-01-04, 01:56 PM
It would be difficult to find a single district untouched by the chaos and violence that defined Varcona's recent history, but if one were to be chosen, the Jasmine District would be the most probable candidate. Populated by some of Varcona's wealthiest elite and nestled safely within the near-center of the city, its canals and streets remain clean and beautiful. Absent is the coughing and moaning of the plague-stricken, as well as the prayers and reassurances of those that tend to them. Absent is the chorus of sounds associated with crime and villainy: threats, screams, and, of course, sudden silence. Strangest of all, absent is the sound of day-to-day city life; the Jasmine District is filled with a thick, peculiar quiet.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d7/6b/a1/d76ba1ed6bd6340ccede4c1672fa47ad.jpg

Each of the five men who traveled through its silent streets had been invited there for a reason. Lord and Lady Forlona, wealthy and powerful members of the Varcona's elite, had invited them there specifically. The letters they received, although vague, extolled their virtues and accomplishments, and such a summons would be unwise to ignore. Before long, each found themselves guided through a walled estate, decorated with beautiful gardens of exotic flowers and herbs. The heady scents filled their nostrils as they stepped into the manor itself, and beheld an entryway that seemed more magnificent and expensive than the entirety of a typical home. Various servants glanced at the men furtively, clearly curious about the sudden appearance of so many well-known figures of the city.

Finally, the five men are ushered into an opulent, yet comfortable, drawing room. Several comfortable chairs and couches surround a pair of large, ornate chairs near the fireplace, above which hangs a portrait of House Forlona's current members. A servant enters, offering refreshment to each of them, while assuring them that the Lord and Lady will soon arrive to greet them properly. With her task done, she bows and quickly scampers from the room.

Meltheim
2017-01-04, 04:11 PM
Geth - Farlona Manor

Geth was pleased to find that the walk through the Jasmine District was a pleasant departure from the monastery, which had essentially been converted to a hospital to tend to those injured and plague-ridden - a significant number of the fair city's inhabitants. Keeping to himself mostly, Geth's head was on a swivel as his master's words echoed in his mind ... Be ever perceptive, both of your surroundings and the company you keep, as well as how others are perceiving you. One's reputation and integrity may take a lifetime to build, but can be wiped out in an instant.

As they approached the manor, however, Geth could not help but gawk awkwardly at the majesty of it all. Although the temple had some ornate features, and the members of his Order weren't as austere as those in other monasteries, Geth had never quite experienced opulence on this scale. Master Oerlin had exactly one gold goblet and the only desk of any size in his quarters. Geth had grown up with simple things - blanket, bedroll, and bucket - and did not quite understand the need for more.

Not sure which chair or couch would be most proper to sit in, the monk instead settles himself down in a comfortable lotus position on the thick, plush rugs that cover the floor. He accepts some of the offered fruit but declines the wine. In the temple, it was traditional for him to serve others. It seemed like Geth would have to get used to things being different from now on.

Geth studies the others in the room - unsure how one of his station in the Order would be considered for the same honors as these great men. When the invitation came to the temple, Master Oerlin had not hesitated in recommending Geth for the role. For the time being, he simply smiles politely and observes.

Minescratcher
2017-01-04, 05:34 PM
The walk through the Jasmine District had unsettled Martin. Nowhere else in the whole city was it this quiet, and it scared him. He clutched the silver locket about his neck as he approached Forlona Manor.

"Andrew Holte" nodded politely to the servants as he stepped into the manor. Of course he would have been recommended by the Sybels, probably Clarissa. Not a problem, exactly, but irritating to have to hide behind a mask, even now. He took a glass of water from the servant's tray and entered the drawing room, stepping towards the window and gazing out over Varcona.

"Ah, the smell of flowers in Varcona... A beautiful day, isn't it?"

Kio
2017-01-04, 06:33 PM
Perce regretted not stopping by a tailor and purchasing some finer clothes. He had heard of the grandeur of the Jasmine District, but somehow it had never solidified in his mind that he would actually be walking down it's streets. he hardly found himself outside of his study in the Geldstrom school of Magic, so he was more than a little bit out of touch. For what seemed like the thousandth time during the trip he looked down at the letter he had received, making absolutely sure that the elegant lettering spelled out his name.

Needless to say... It did.

Perce took the drink offered to him, then stared for a moment at the family portrait hung on the wall. After a few seconds, it occurred to him to thank the servant, but she had already gone on her way, so when he turned and said "Thank you," it may have sounded like a peculiar response to Martin's question.

"Erm... I..." Perre flustered for a moment, before using his drink as an excuse to shut up. The papers in his bag shuffled and shifted as he tried to seat himself on one of the fancy couches. After enough time had passed, and he had steeled himself, he spoke again, a bit more steadily "It is! In this district, at the very least. it is good to know that at least a small part of Varcona still holds some peace. So, I... I assume everyone present received such a letter as well?" He held up the fancy paper.

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-04, 08:08 PM
Athelstan arrived in the jasmine district in borrowed clothes, wearing the vestments that marked him as a cleric of Tempus. The vestments themselves were simply highly ornate armor, fully functional, but not something you would want to bring into a war. His order, the Storm-hammers, rarely used such vestments, so they shared a few sets amongst themselves.

Even so, despite his trimmed armor, as he walked through the jasmine district and then up to the manor, he felt out of place. These are the kind of people who think all armor looks like this. He thinks. As he is ushered into the room with the others, he is given a glass of wine. Athelstan sits down and knocks the whole glass back like a shot, then holds out his hand for another. The butler glares at him and moves on.

Athelstan shrugs, and waits. One of the other men asks about letters. Athelstan pulls out his letter. "Sure did." he says.

Meltheim
2017-01-04, 08:24 PM
Geth - Forlona Manor

Geth makes a mental note that the Hammer may have a higher-than-usual resistance to certain poisons and potions, considering how well he handled his drink. Definitely, one to be reckoned with, and hopefully a stalwart ally. Standing from his position, he bows toward the group and pulls his own invitation from a fold inside his robes. "My letter was addressed to the Temple, though it appears you may have been chosen as individuals. I greet you and wish you good luck and fortune in your endeavors."

Geth is painfully young - a mere 16 - and does his best to appear confident in himself without looking too much like a child wearing father's armor. It seems that his head was shaved until very recently, though a few days' growth can be seen poking its way through his scalp. His robes are simple black cloth with an apron of Avandra at his waist, marking him as one of the Acolytes of the Order of Avandra - not the lowest rank, but certainly not one of any particular importance or prestige. At one hip is a small quiver of darts, while the other bears a short curved sword.

Minescratcher
2017-01-04, 08:35 PM
"It is! In this district, at the very least. it is good to know that at least a small part of Varcona still holds some peace. So, I... I assume everyone present received such a letter as well?" He held up the fancy paper.

"Indeed."
Martin reaches into the pocket of his fine jacket and pulls out a similar envelope. Opening it, he extracts the letter.

"I suppose we had better introduce ourselves, then. My name is M- " He suddenly breaks into a coughing fit. "Sir Andrew Holte."
He discreetly taps the signet ring on his finger. Fake, of course, but these strangers didn't need to know that.

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-05, 12:27 AM
Athelstan finishes grumbling to himself about cheap butlers and adresses the knight. "Pleased t'meet you Sir Holte, call me Al." He wipes his palms on his pants and then holds out a rough hand to shake, completely oblivious to what Andrew's coughing fit was meant to hide.

ProudGrognard
2017-01-05, 12:41 AM
William Dur Marshal

William, resplendent on his polished armor and knightly tabbards, walks slowly among the destitute, taking the scene carefully. His handsome face is composed, but inside him both sadness and determination battle.

Look. Look carefully. You were in their position just five years ago. And now, you are on of the lucky. The depths that humanity is ready to leave its own floundering, for short term gain!

Shaking his head, he presses on. This will have to change. All of this.

Arriving at Jasmine District, he notices the difference but still presses on. He notices that he is the last arrive, so he goes into the room and bows slightly, a knightly bow, just as introductions are being made.

"Please excuse me gentlemen. My name is Sir William Dur Marshal of the Order of Dawn. I hope I did not delay this meeting needlessly."

Some of the name being offered were quite known. Seeing the letters being shown, he takes out his own.

"So, all of us were asked to come?"

Meltheim
2017-01-05, 01:22 AM
Geth - Forlona Manor

"It appears so, in some way or another." Looking to the others, he bows again, matching the bow of the newcomer. "I am known among my Order as Geth. It is my honor to make your acquaintance."

Kio
2017-01-05, 02:47 AM
Perce studies each face in the room. Andrew Holte, the hero of House Sybel; Sir William Dur Marshal, the miraculous and gifted new member of the Order of the Dawn; and Athelstan of the Stormhammers, who so famously saved the life of Aurelian Valeris from behind enemy lines. Only the young boy, Geth, did he fail to recognize. Perce did however note the symbol tied about the boy's waist as a mark of the Order of Avandra, an influential institution indeed, known for it's charity work and loyal members. Perce paid close attention as the introductions were made, making quick mental notes about all as they all spoke in turn... Especially Sir Holte...

A long moment passed before Perce realized he was expected to introduce himself as well, which jogged his mind away from the curious half-elf "Ah, ehem.. I am of.. That is, I come from the Fass family. Or.. what used to be.." It was awkward. He was making it awkward, "My name is Perce Fass. I-It's a Pleasure" He hid his embarrassment by adjusting his glasses several times in a row.

Perce excelled at magic... not social interaction.

CovertCobalt
2017-01-05, 03:33 PM
A few more minutes pass before two servants enter the room, offering refreshment once again to each of the men. They clean up any used cups or bowls, and retreat out of the room with respectful bows. Soon after, a better-dressed woman, seemingly a steward of sorts, enters, her arms laden with scrolls and other documents. She places them delicately on the table between the two ornate chairs before turning to address the men in the room. "M'lord and Lady will be coming in shortly. They apologize for the wait." She looks over the group in front of her briefly before giving a small, curt bow and striding from the room.

Shortly after her departure, a man and a woman walk into the room. Each is dressed in fine, yet tasteful, clothing, accentuated with simple jewelry. They take a moment to seat themselves in the chairs next to the scrolls before speaking. The woman, who is clearly Lady Forlona, speaks first, her voice gentle. "Well met, gentlemen. I am pleased to see you have all accepted my invitation." She offers a slight smile. "I apologize for the vagueness of the letter's content, but I found it prudent to reveal the reason for my request in-person, rather than in writing." Lord Forlona strokes his beard thoughtfully, his signet ring flashing in the sunlight. "I decided we shouldn't risk putting too much sensitive information in a letter. You just can't be sure about that sort of thing anymore: not in Varcona, anyways."

Lady Forlona nods in agreement before continuing. "Good transition, dear. We have invited the five of you here because we believe that you represent some of the best that Varcona has to offer. All of you have proven yourselves, whether on the field of battle," she looks at William and Athelstan, "among the ranks of prestigious organizations," she looks at Perce and Geth, "or among the noble houses,"she finishes her gaze on Martin. "With the permission of the Silver Council, we have created an initiative to ensure that those who have proven their competency and moral fiber can be given the authority necessary to right our city's wrongs."

Lord Forlona leans forward in his chair as his wife unfurls a large, ornate scroll for all in the room to see. He gestures at the gold-embossed lettering visible to all. "We're calling it 'The Civilian Initiative,' and you have been selected as the best candidates for the project. You'll be given authority to cut through legal limitations where needed and to act as judge, jury, and executioner to those who would threaten our fair city." His expression remains grim as he slowly makes contact with each of the men before him. "This is not a task for the weak of heart. You know the threats Varcona faces: Crime lords, disease, twisted cults, and worse. We live in dangerous, disturbing times." Lady Forlona lowers the scroll to speak, her voice less gentle than before. "Which is exactly why we call upon you, gentlemen. You have proven yourselves competent, perhaps even exceptional. Now you have the chance to be true heroes: saviors of Varcona!" Her eyes shine bright with passion as she looks about the room for a reaction.

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/images/3851421/1Lord_Forlona.jpghttps://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/images/3846727/Lady_Forlona.jpg

The broad windows on the far side of the room offer a magnificent view of the Jasmine District. Now that you're up higher, you can see that some of the roofs are even dotted with flower gardens. If there was ever any damage done to this part of the city, it has already been restored to immaculate condition.

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-05, 05:43 PM
"That sounds like quite a task," says Athelstan, toying with an empty wine glass. It was his second glass since arriving there. "What's in it for us?"

Minescratcher
2017-01-05, 08:56 PM
"Interesting. I am inclined to agree with my newly-met companion, however: it sounds like quite a task." said Martin. He turned away from the window and seated himself on the nearest couch. "Which of the many problems will we be dealing with first, and how will we learn of their details? Will we be investigating them ourselves or receiving information from you, Lord and Lady Forlona?"

Meltheim
2017-01-05, 10:36 PM
Geth - Forlona Manor

"Executioner?" Geth says, half to himself, half to his hosts. He was familiar with combat of course. Plenty of sparring as part of the training of the body and mind. But he had never fought for his life, fought to injure, let alone kill someone.

"I vowed to my master that I would answer the call for aid. He knew what would be asked, so any actions I take to meet those goals are with his blessing." Geth says the last, nodding. He rubs his hand over the scruff on his head and smiles. "I am at your disposal."

ProudGrognard
2017-01-06, 01:58 AM
William

Wlliam hears very carefully his hosts, his wine forgotten. Afterwards, he takes a sip, as the questions come pouring out. All of them quite right, but... they were missing the point.

"What I am, and what my Order is, stands behind your call, my Lord and Lady. But I must agree with my fellow guests here. How do you envision this going forward? Because..."

and he looks around with a wave of his hands

'...there are some very talented and dangerous people gathered here."

Kio
2017-01-06, 01:43 PM
Perce listened carefully to the lord and the lady as they spoke. The man was immediately intrigued. He marveled at the influence and power that these two nobles must hold in order to organize such an initiative. Of course, he knew of the Forlona family line, but seeing all of this in person was... mind-boggling. The implications of what were at stake settled on Perce, and he shifted uncomfortably in his seat. turning his gaze out the nearby window.

He recalled for a moment the screams of his dying wife at the hands of the Silver Lizard thugs. He remembered How useless he had felt as Byron Bridger had bled out in his arms. He remembered his beautiful daughter.

Maybe now he would have a chance. With the resources these Nobles were willing to give him, perhaps he would finally be able to make a difference. Maybe he could finally track down the leader of the Silver Lizard gang. Perhaps he could finally find a way to quell the Hollow Plague. Maybe, just maybe, He could make make Varcona a safe place for his daughter, so that she may no longer have to fear sharing the same fate as her mother...

Perce focused on each of the other men as they spoke. "Why, th- the first issue absolutely must be the organized crime rings! Every day, more and more citizens pledge allegiance to gangs and criminal groups out of desperation... Those who do not are robbed, raped, and murdered in a crossfire of gang squabbling. As these organizations grow more and more powerful, Varcona's government weakens. The city has turned on itself, and there can be no organized attempts to cure the Hollow Plague or restore order until these crime rings... are... um.. well..." Realizing he may have spoken out of turn, he trailed off, and awkwardly glanced around to the other men in the room, "I... At least, in my opinion. No matter the course of action, I am with you."

Meltheim
2017-01-06, 04:29 PM
Geth - Forlona Manor

Geth nodded along with Perce's rationale, understanding the civil importance, if not the personal reasons that Perce may have. "Crime rings, yes. That seems like a good focus. They weaken the foundation upon which we wish to build our good works. If we can break them up, or at least send them scattering, that may allow others of our city to step forward and help in whatever way they can."

Geth was not used to speaking his mind so freely, and this was somewhat of an exhilarating experience.

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-06, 06:00 PM
"What if we recruit one of these rings?" he pauses, gauging the others reaction before continuing. "If we find the least vile of these rings, then pay off the leader to give us information, we could find these other criminals much easier."

CovertCobalt
2017-01-06, 06:48 PM
The two nobles listen patiently, and silently to the concerns directed their way. Lord Forlona nods in approval at the questions the men ask. "I'm glad to see we have selected for shrewdness as much as we have for integrity." He turns to Athelstan first, the slightest grin pulling at the corner of his mouth. "Although my fair wife originally wanted this project to be taken on purely out of good nature, I decided that it would be best to provide a certain...financial..incentive as well. We will be paying for any supplies and equipment you may have need of. I will also be paying each of you a healthy stipend, starting today, should you accept."

Lady Forlona speaks quietly as she rolls the scroll back up. "As for Mr. Holte's question, we will be working in tandem with a few prominent members of the city guard to identify problem-areas within the city. In the immediate future, we'd like for you to deal with the crime issue in the Salt District. The gangs there have been interfering with shipments of healing supplies necessary for treating plague victims; an abominable crime, no matter the motive. Lord Fass has the right of it; we must show these vile crime lords that their behavior will not be tolerated. They may seem minor compared to the horrors of the invasion we faced so recently, but the most insidious evils of this city are those that come from within." She grimaces, her hands smoothing her dress. "Unfortunately, the last attempts to discourage their activities were...unsuccessful."

Lord Forlona clears his throat loudly and gestures at the pile of scrolls next to him. "We have arranged for paperwork that will grant you access to any area of the city, as well as any information gathered by the city guard. We have compiled some information on the crime activity in the Salt District ahead of time, for your perusal." He hands a neatly tied scroll to the group. "Additionally, you are exempt from prosecution for any minor crimes that you commit in the name of carrying out your duty." He pauses, his brow furrowing. "I trust you will not abuse this special treatment, as it will reflect poorly on House Forlona. Such behavior would be most unwise." His gaze falls upon Sir William. "It will be up to all of you to keep the others in check, should the need arise."

With a small smile, Lady Forlona addresses Geth directly. "Your enthusiasm is very much appreciated, Brother Brightwood. My husband made a fine choice when he contacted the master of your order, and it would seem Master Oerlin made an equally fine choice himself."

William is pretty certain that Lord Forlona has heard about his past crimes. Whether he implied that William should be watched extra carefully or that he is best suited to guarding against abuse of power is uncertain.
You know that one of the most problematic groups in the Salt District is the gang of ruffians and cutthroats known as the Docknives (https://thecivilianinitiativesaviorsofvarcona.obsidianport al.com/wikis/docknives), lead by a vicious former pirate who calls himself Papa Leon.
You get the sense that Lady Forlona's motivation for this project is somewhat more personal than her husband's, for whatever reason. Although she's well-known for her philanthropy, this seems like something more.

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-06, 07:37 PM
"Naturally then, I accept," speaks Athelstan, rising from his seat. "And for the record," says Athesltan, turning to Geth with an easy smile. "I don't intend to kill any innocents either, Only the real bastards get that treatment." He grins wider in what he hopes is an easy-going, and reassuring way.

Athelstan is referring to this part when he speaks to Geth

"Executioner?" Geth says, half to himself, half to his hosts. He was familiar with combat of course. Plenty of sparring as part of the training of the body and mind. But he had never fought for his life, fought to injure, let alone kill someone.

ProudGrognard
2017-01-07, 02:10 AM
William Dur Marshal

William smiles a very small smile. He was aware of the double meaning of the Lady's words. As he was aware that she seemed much more animated about this project that her husband. Something to remember.

My past will come out, eventually. And I have faced it. It will be good to come out up front.

He nods at Perce.

"Targeting the gangs is a very good idea. They do much more evil that people would believe. I know, I was part of several in my youth: The River rats, the Dead Rabbits, the Black Hatters... I have been one of their thugs, and it got me to Flotsam Prison. Taking out even one gang will not only make their activities stop, it will give a breath of air to those living under their rule. I am all for it."

As for the stipend, he says nothing. He had no love for money, he never did, even back in his crime-ridden days. But William knows that equipment is expensive and it has to come from somewhere.

Meltheim
2017-01-07, 03:56 AM
Geth - Forlona Manor

Geth smiles at the Hammer's comment, hoping to look relieved that the Cleric of Tempus would be mindful of sparing innocents. Addressing the host and hostess, Geth continues,"I have no need for much, but I appreciate the offer. You can trust that your faith, time, and coin will be well spent."

The monk is unfamiliar with much outside of the walls of the monestary, but he knows well the frustrations they have had getting sufficient medicinal materials to the victims of the plague.

Charisma [roll0]
Wisdom [roll1]

Minescratcher
2017-01-07, 05:37 PM
Martin stands and salutes the nobles, then takes the scroll that Lord Forlona hands him. He makes a special note to keep an eye on Sir Marshal, just in case.
"To refuse would be a gross dereliction of my duty. Your faith will not prove misplaced, I swear."

Kio
2017-01-07, 08:58 PM
As soon as Perce heard the Lady mentioned the Salt District, he immediately knew whom their first target would be. "... The Docknives..." he muttered under his breath, recalling his days transcribing for the tribunal.

William Dur Marshal
"Targeting the gangs is a very good idea. They do much more evil that people would believe. I know, I was part of several in my youth: The River rats, the Dead Rabbits, the Black Hatters... I have been one of their thugs, and it got me to Flotsam Prison. Taking out even one gang will not only make their activities stop, it will give a breath of air to those living under their rule. I am all for it."

Perce looked up from deep thought as Sir William Dur Marshal agreed with him. He nodded earnestly for a moment, then paused. It took a moment of processing before an expression of surprise crossed his face "You... Y-You were-?" Perce glanced about the room. Though, he seemed to be the only one flustered by this revelation. It then hit Perce a little more clearly than before that he was in a room with dangerous and powerful men.

ProudGrognard
2017-01-08, 12:42 AM
Wlliam

William nods at Perce with a half-smile on his face. Taking a glass of wine in his hand, he passes to him.

Mr. Perce seems to believe his out of his depth. I don't think he understands that he is one of the most dangerous persons in this room. If what I have heard of him is correct.

I think I like him.

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-08, 01:11 AM
"We have several armies arrayed against us, but they are also against eachother. Therefore, the best way to go about this is to ally with one of these 'armies' and then betray them when appropriate." He continues, "Basically what I mean is, bolster one of these street gangs so that it's powerful enough to take out the others, and then we can easily take out the last remaining gang."

CovertCobalt
2017-01-08, 05:10 PM
Lord Varcona nods approvingly at Athelstan's suggestion, stroking his beard thoughtfully. His wife, however, seems less impressed and focuses her attention on Martin instead. "Your reputation for goodwill precedes you, Mr. Holte. Young Lady Sybel seems to have a discerning eye." She gives a half smile before returning her attention to the group at large.

Both nobles seem pleased by the enthusiasm displayed by the men before them. With a flourish, Lord Varcona claps his hands together, summoning the woman who had brought in the scrolls before. This time, she carries several small velvet pouches and several green scroll-cases, which she distributes to each of the men before bowing and departing. Lord Varcona speaks, his voice a little jauntier than before. "Well, since your acceptance seems unanimous, you'll be pleased to know that your first stipend is payed in advance. I will arrange other, more suitable awards to supplement this income should you succeed in your tasks." He gestures in the general direction of the doorway by which the woman departed the drawing room. "Ostera will ensure that you receive any other equipment you may need. Just hand her a list and a shipping location on your way out."

In tandem, the two rise to their feet, their jewelry again glittering in the sunlight. Lady Forlona hands each of the men a small scroll, stamped with the sigil of House Forlona. "Here are your official "Civilian Initiative" permissions documents. You will need them if you decide to...circumvent...any legal barriers in the way of achieving your mission. Your scroll-cases should keep them from getting damaged in the line of duty."

With all documents distributed, the two nobles stand regally before the fireplace, directly in front of their family portrait. They wait for any final questions, but seem to consider the meeting just about over with.

If you're not mistaken, you're pretty sure Lady Forlona was very subtly flirting with you by referencing Clarissa's "discernment."

ProudGrognard
2017-01-10, 03:15 AM
William Dur Marshal

William takes the papers offered and gives them a quick read. They were what he was expecting. He then turns to the Lord and Lady Varcona.

"Thank you my lord and lady. If the need arises for some reason, could we contact you in some way?

Other than that, I believe we have some planning to do. By your leave, I have no more questions."

Minescratcher
2017-01-10, 10:00 AM
"Thank you for the compliment, Lady Forlona. I am honored that you believe so." Martin returns the half-smile, then checks through the pouch to see how much coin is within.

Kio
2017-01-10, 01:04 PM
Perce swallows, and nervously takes the glass Sir William hands to him.

This man is to be my comrade. Try to make a good impression.

He steels his nerves, tries his best to smile, then nods and takes a drink from the glass (Though anyone still looking at him would notice the slight tremor in his hands). His attention returns to the Lord and Lady as the servant is summoned, and the scrolls and pouches are distributed. As the lady stands, Perce stands respectfully as well, an echo from his early days as a noble. "Wh-Where are we to assume our base of operations to be? I am happy to offer my quarters at the Geldstrom School of Magic, cramped as they may be."

Perce knew that the upcoming days would require careful plotting, and he was not under the impression that the five men were welcome to stay here.

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-10, 07:42 PM
"I can't help but wonder at that too," says Athelstan. "Do we have a base of operations set up?"

Meltheim
2017-01-10, 09:16 PM
Geth- Forlona Manor

Looking in the small purse handed to him, Geth's eyes light up. More wealth than he had ever seen, and it was his! "With this . . . " he paused, considering his words carefully, "we could easily stay at an inn for a couple of months."

Conversion rate is 1gp = 10sp, right? 15gp in the pack, 1 day of "poor" lifestyle is only 2sp = 75 days of lodging, food and drink

ProudGrognard
2017-01-11, 02:01 PM
William

William turns the proposal around in his head.

"There are advantages and disadvantages in staying all together. If we camp in one of ours, and I am sure my order for example will not object, then we can plan and act quickly. But we will quickly be recognized. I am afraid that the same will happen if we stay in an inn. And people coming in bloodied at strange hours will be noticed more easily.

Hmmm...

I think the best way would be to rent a small warehouse or house in a central place. Something where there are multiple points of entrance, so we can come and go from different exits. We can set up our base there, while continuing to appear in our regular places.

As for out plan of action: We need more reliable information, close to home. We should meet with the informer. perhaps we could meet with the leader of the River rats. I used to know her. She will at least hear at a business proposition. But we will have to be careful, because she will probably be one of our targets some time in the future. Perhaps we can convince her that we are after the Lizards and the Dockhands, even help us distract the latter if we push.

We also need reconnaissance. We have to identify modes of operation, ring leaders and targets. This requires observation."

Realizing that he has talked quite a bit, he stops and watches the others' reactions.

Meltheim
2017-01-11, 02:09 PM
Geth - Forlona Manor

Nodding in line with William's points, Geth looks to the host and hostess. "Would you have a warehouse of some sorts where we could work? If we are going to be administering justice in the city, it would be nice to have a hall of some sorts to work from."

Kio
2017-01-11, 03:43 PM
Perce listened thoughtfully to the others, nodding.

The man closed his eyes and he touched his furrowed brow, thinking aloud "A warehouse, or some similar space would certainly give us the most versatility, as well as privacy. Such a space would also allow me to store the books and supplies I need to study and preform research. I suspect our task will not be one shortly accomplished. With some time, and study, i'm sure I could arrange some magical defensive measures and fail-safes, as we are certain to make powerful enemies. That is, if such a place could be secured.

As for observation, I know this: In the higher levels of the Geldstrom school of magic, there is a powerful scrying pool. It is strictly guarded by both men and magic. Only the most honored members of the school are allowed to use it, and only for occasions of great import. If we could gain access to it, it would prove to be most valuable, though it will by no means be easy. The elders of the school are set in their ways, and will demand much from us in return... Trust me."

Minescratcher
2017-01-11, 04:00 PM
Martin stowed the coin purse and scroll within his coat as he listened to the others.
"You make good points, Sir Marshall. As for a headquarters, I would suggest that we set up here or in a nearby district where we can be in the center of the city. We could easily requisition such a building, I believe, given the... general chaos."

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-11, 11:35 PM
Athelstan nods. "I can't help but agree, we should find a base in the Jasmine district, the increased presence of guards in this area will add to any security measures we put in ourself."

CovertCobalt
2017-01-12, 04:17 AM
Geth - Forlona Manor

Nodding in line with William's points, Geth looks to the host and hostess. "Would you have a warehouse of some sorts where we could work? If we are going to be administering justice in the city, it would be nice to have a hall of some sorts to work from."

Lord Forlona nods slightly, lifting one eyebrow. "Given the many problems with the Salt District, we do happen to have a warehouse going unused not too far from the docks. You're welcome to it, should you wish to make use of it. However, you may find that it needs maintenance, especially since I haven't had it looked at since before the Markhisiat Invasion." He shrugs his shoulders and nods in the direction where the servants had come in earlier. "Ostera can fetch the key for you. Just add it to the list of materials you need on your way out."

Lady Forlona tosses her long tresses over one shoulder and speaks, her voice contemplative. "If you seek more permanent headquarters for your ongoing works in the city, perhaps you could purchase a building of some sort in one of the districts that are worse-for-wear? I am certain that you could work something out with the landowners, especially since your presence is intended to ameliorate the issues that prevent property values from increasing." She purses her lips slightly. "Of course, that's just an idea. Do whatever you think best, gentlemen."

Kio
2017-01-12, 12:54 PM
"My thanks, Lord Forlona. A-and Lady Forlona, th- thank you as well. We are honored by your kindness" Perce bowed respectfully to the both of them, but unfortunately some of the papers and scrolls in the packs he carried spilled out onto the carpet in the process.

"Oh... P-p-pardon me.." He began to scoop them up off the posh floor as fast as he could.

After Perce gets his supplies together, he places paper and ink on one of the fancy drinking tables and begins to pen a list of supplies. Once he's done scribbling he would look tot he others for their additions to the list.

- Key to Warehouse
- Hammer/nails
- Sturdy wood
- Bed rolls
- Secure chests (5)
- Medical supplies (for Sister Penelope)
- Writing materials
Paper
Pens
Ink
Sand
Wax
- Lantern & oil
- Rations
- Basin of clean water
- Soap/Brushes/Basic amenities
- Armor (Commissioned for Sir William)

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-15, 04:55 PM
"I would recommend we bring whatever medical supplies we can muster to Sister Penelope," says Athelstan. "Maybe we can even bring her some hired helpers?"

Minescratcher
2017-01-17, 04:45 PM
Martin read the supplies list over the Wizard's shoulder, standing just far enough to seem nonthreatening.

"Hmm... I believe we could also do with some more official writing materials, stationary and seals and such, to identify our documents by. Also a light or two, perhaps a lamp and oil?"

Clandestinely requesting a forgery kit
A lamp and several hours' worth of oil

ProudGrognard
2017-01-18, 01:08 PM
William

Looking also over the list, William half-smiles.

"I think some rations, water and other amenities like soap might come in handy. As for me, a heavier armor could also come handy, but I would guess it would take time to make it."

Kio
2017-01-18, 01:59 PM
Perce finishes writing the list, and reaches into a pouch on his belt. From it he pulls a fine sand, which he sprinkles over the fresh ink. As the ink sets into the paper and dries, he looks around to make sure that everyone has finished adding. He then empties the excess sand onto a second page, gathers it and returns it to his pouch. He rolls the list of supplies up and tucks it under his arm, intending to give it to the servant on the way out.

Meltheim
2017-01-18, 04:06 PM
Geth - Forlona Manor

"So, are we off then?" Geth asks, not exactly sure what to do next. He was used to being the servant who brought the key, the runner who got supplies, etc. not the one being tended to.

Minescratcher
2017-01-18, 04:31 PM
"Unless there is any other information that we require from the Lord and Lady," Martin answered. "I believe our first order of business is to arrange a time of meeting with the informant, and we should most likely arrive at the warehouse well before then so as to well familiarize ourselves with the location."

CovertCobalt
2017-01-19, 01:27 PM
The five men leave the manor the same way they came in, stopping briefly to give Ostera their equipment list. She glances at it, nods briefly, and then scribbles down the various addresses where the goods should be delivered. She also promises to pass a message along to their informant. Finally, she sees the group to the door and leaves them with a final "Good luck out there... You'll need it." before closing the Forlona Manor's ornate front door. The skies above Varcona have turned cloudy over the past few hours, and the members of the newly-formed Civilian Initiative make it to their respective homes just before a torrential downpour begins. The rain continues through the night into the next morning, and by the time each of them has received his requisitioned supplies, it has been raining for nearly twenty-four hours.

By the time night has passed again, the rain has diminished to a dreary drizzle. Although autumn has barely begun, the air is unusually cold, leaving many of Varcona's inhabitants shivering in the streets. The scenes of devastation, despair, and depravity that have become commonplace in the city somehow seem even more disheartening in the frigidity of the storm. Each of the five Saviors of Varcona witnesses disturbing sights in their travel to the Salt District. The destitute beg in the streets, dressed in rags. Charlatans brazenly sell their wares, claiming their amulets will protect children from sickness. City guards trudge along, seemingly blind to the needs of their own citizens.

Of course, all of this seems tame compared to the Salt District.

http://wallpaperbackgrounds.com/Content/wallpapers/fantasy/city/93117-27311.jpg

The five men make their way to the abandoned Forlona warehouse, dodging scurrying rats and starving dogs in their path. The proximity to the docks makes the frigid air colder still, and a fine mist pervades the narrow streets, obscuring everything. They pass more than a single corpse on their way, one of which appears to have been lying in an alley for at least a few days. The buildings are in no better shape, having been demolished and burned by aggressive goblin strike-teams during the Invasion. Although many buildings survived the onslaught, the ones that did not escape unscathed are wrecks, often housing whole families in their ashen, skeletal remains.

It's almost a relief when the rusted padlock to the warehouse opens and spills a square of gray-blue light into the building. Rats squeak in alarm and vanish into the shadows inside. Cobwebs adorn most surfaces, but fortunately the building seems in relatively good repair. The fact that no squatters are within is a testament to its fortitude. The only inhabitants, besides the mice, are a few large, empty crates and a couple tables and rickety chairs.

Here you are! Feel free to narrate anything that you think would have happened between the initial meeting at the Forlona Manor and the trip to the Salt District 2 days later. You have all received the supplies you requested, but no armor or new weapons just yet.

You also have a small amount of healing supplies (bandages, cloth, herbs, etc) for Sister Penelope. Your informant is supposed to meet you here soon.

Thanks to the mist, you saw little evidence of gang activity except perhaps the few corpses you glimpsed. Most people who saw you became fearful and hid themselves quickly, or were too strung-out to care about much of anything.

Meltheim
2017-01-19, 09:16 PM
Geth - Salt District - HQ

With a low whistle to break the silence, Geth tut tuts to himself as he enters the dreary warehouse.

Out of habit more than anything else, the monk lights a lamp and immediately sets himself to making the place workable - dragging a large table and chairs from the side into a more usable location. He then gathers his rain-soaked robes into his hand and wipes down the furniture, clearing cobwebs, rat droppings and dirt away. After a few minutes he seems satisfied with his work, then turns toward the others, smiling from ear to ear.

ProudGrognard
2017-01-20, 11:24 AM
William - Salt District

William stands around and looks at the warehouse. It had been a couple of strange days, trying to relocate his meager belongings from the Order's stronghold to this abandoned warehouse. Living his things at the side, he helps Geth clean up. He then sets up his belongings and looks at the others.

"I think we should look this building over. Any secret or possible entrances should be noted. Also, a reconnaissance of the immediate area would be good. It would be good to know who are neighbors are."

He sighs as he thinks of something.

"I think we made a mistake. We shouldn't have come up en masse, but rather one by one. Also, we should have arranged for the informer to meet us somewhere else. It is not good for our location to be known. That was the whole point of relocating after all.

I suggest we immediately relocate to a seedy tavern, and leave one of us here, at the door, to escort the informant there. perhaps we could convince him that this was barely a meeting place."

Should I roll for Perception or whatever to look around the building?

Kio
2017-01-20, 02:01 PM
Perce - Salt District - HQ

Perce huffed and puffed as quietly as he could manage under the circumstances. He had scraped together the 'bare essentials' from his quarters back in the Geldstrom school of magic, where he had been housed for so many years. However, this still constituted an over-sized traveler's pack filled to bursting with books, papers, scrolls, and study material. It looked far too heavy for Perce (Especially since he also had the scroll packs hanging from his belt, and his large leather tome under his arm), but any attempts to assist would be waved away. When they reached the Warehouse, the wizard waited patiently for Geth to finish setting and wiping down one of the tables. Then, just as his legs began to shake from the strain, he began to unload his burden onto the table.

Breathing a sigh of relief, He patted Geth on the shoulder gratefully "Th-thank you, young m-monk."

While Sir William spoke, Perce took a moment to lay out and organize His books and scrolls, as well as the writing materials that had been provided to them by Lord and Lady Forlona. There was merit in such measures. The less people knew about where the group was based, the better, even this "Trusted informant"

"I-I think I may have a map of the S-salt District... I-it may be out of date now, but it may show us a nearby tavern.. Er... l-let me check.." Perce begin rooting through his piles of papers and scrolls, trying to find said map..

[roll0]

Minescratcher
2017-01-20, 05:31 PM
Martin strolled confidently through the streets, looking neither left nor right as he made his way through the Salt District. He couldn't bear to watch any more of the anarchy that permeated Varcona. He entered the warehouse slightly late, opening the door to see that the monk had already begun to clean and the knight had just begun to speak.

"Greetings."

As Martin listened to the knight, he toyed with the locket hanging from its chain around his neck.

"Yes, that may have been a tactical error. I shall take a look around now, if nobody objects." Martin began to search the room for anything of interest.
"If we follow Sir Marshall's plan, I would be more than willing to shadow at a distance. I... have a slight magic that would help in that regard."

Perception:[roll0]
Investigation:[roll1]

Hex and Sleep have a 90 foot range and Eldritch Blast has a 120 foot range, so in case things start to go badly Martin can be a good distance away.

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-21, 04:43 PM
"I disagree," says Athelstan, "It's inevitable that, when we start making a fuss around here they're going to figure out where we live. Instead of relying on secrets as our armor, I say we use the more traditional method of steel." He continues, "I would recommend we guard this place ourselves, and maybe even hire a few local toughs as guards. We could even hire some of the locals to clean this place up. If we hire the poor of the salt-district, it will give them a chance to buy food, and give them an alternative to joining the gangs for sustenance."

CovertCobalt
2017-01-23, 05:03 PM
Geth's efforts at tidying the warehouse make a small portion of the space more comfortable, even if the lamplight reveals still more dinginess and grime in the further reaches of the building. The sound of light rain atop the warehouse roof above seems to indicate that the building is more or less rainproof.

A careful search of the warehouse reveals it to have one other entrance: a large set of heavy, wooden doors likely used for cargo-loading. They are located on the side of the building closest to the docks and seem to be in good repair, overall. Martin picks over the crates and other supplies carefully and manages to find a sealed wooden box. An etched label on the top of the box reads "House Forlona Elixirs." Picking it up, the sound of full glass bottles can heard tinkling from within.

The buildings surrounding the warehouse are, appropriately, mostly warehouses as well, some of which have collapsed or, apparently, been damaged by fire. An unlocked, half-collapsed warehouse bears signs of recent habitation by a squatter or two, but on the whole the area does not seem well-populated.

However, there are a few taverns and similar establishments located at what seems to be about a ten minute walk towards the docks. Perce's map, while probably not entirely up to date with the changes made by the Markhisiat Invasion, does seem generally accurate given what the group had seen so far. With some effort, Perce identifies an establishment that likely survived the assault: The Broken Wheel Tavern, located near a shipping canal and protected by a large stone bridge leading into the Spice District.

http://orig04.deviantart.net/310c/f/2014/108/a/8/the_bridgelands_by_whatyoumaydo-d7exfcc.jpg

Opening the box will reveal 4 Potions of Healing. Each bottle is labeled with the crest of House Forlona, and given the amount of dust on the outside of the box, they have been sitting in the warehouse for a long time.

The half-collapsed building has a few ragged blankets arranged in a nestlike formation, along with an empty bottle of ale and several discarded vials of dark green glass. They smell acrid and bitter.

Kio
2017-01-24, 12:39 PM
As Perce studied the map, he listened to Athelstan's words, and considered them. "A h-hybrid of both strategies, perhaps? We are bound to attract attention, for sure, but until we have the time or resources to properly barricade ourselves, secrecy is our best d-defense. I-it will take me time and study to put up the proper w-wards and magic defenses..." He trailed off a bit. Athelstan was an imposing person, and Perce was not used to addressing such men of steel.

After another moment of study, Perce manages to find what he is looking for.

"Ah, here is some information of merit. Close by, in the direction of the Spice District, there is a possible meeting place: The Broken Wheel Tavern. I find it unlikely that it was destroyed during the invasion. The Proprietors have a reputation for being particularly... er... stalwart."

ProudGrognard
2017-01-24, 01:06 PM
William

William clasps his hands to clean them of dust, after helping Geth. He takes a look at Perce's map.

"This seems fine. Both your suggestions have merit."

He then points at the bottles.

"I am not familiar with magic, but I believe they have been correctly identified as healing infusions...potions...liquids. Bah, I am not sure what the correct term is. Nevertheless, I believe we should split them among us."

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-24, 03:08 PM
Athelstan looked around for the first time and spied the large cargo doors. He frowned at them. "I can agree to a hybrid plan, but our first order of business should be dealing with that." He points to the large cargo doors. "Any serious attack would likely come from there, being the largest entrance. We should board it up, or even better, wall it off."

Minescratcher
2017-01-24, 04:39 PM
William

William clasps his hands to clean them of dust, after helping Geth. He takes a look at Perce's map.

"This seems fine. Both your suggestions have merit."

He then points at the bottles.

"I am not familiar with magic, but I believe they have been correctly identified as healing infusions...potions...liquids. Bah, I am not sure what the correct term is. Nevertheless, I believe we should split them among us."

"Potions is the term, Sir Marshall. I believe that we should distribute them to those to whom they seem most necessary."

Athelstan looked around for the first time and spied the large cargo doors. He frowned at them. "I can agree to a hybrid plan, but our first order of business should be dealing with that." He points to the large cargo doors. "Any serious attack would likely come from there, being the largest entrance. We should board it up, or even better, wall it off."

Martin looks at the cargo entrance with interest, then moved to inspect it and the area immediately in front of it.
"Likely so, Sir Stormhammer. However, what if we could trap the area before those cargo doors? Any assault should be stymied when their front lines are all cut down or restrained simultaneously, and I believe we could obtain the necessary materials from Lord Forlona."

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-26, 08:56 PM
"Hmm, could work.." he trails off, thinking. He goes back to inspecting the warehouse for flaws.

Kio
2017-01-27, 02:01 PM
Perce glances around the warehouse. "Th-the Lord and Lady did provide me with a generous amount of sturdy wood, as well as rudimentary building materials... H-however, I do not believe we have time to retrieve them and begin fortifying this place currently." He adjusted his spectacles "Th-the Informant will be arriving soon, and we must make haste to the Broken Wheel Tavern... Wh-Who will be staying behind to r-redirect them?" Perce folded the map and placed it under the front cover of his large leather spellbook. He then moved to inspect the healing potions.

ProudGrognard
2017-01-27, 02:30 PM
William

William glances around.

"Perce is again right. We could do all these later. I can bring the informant to the tavern. I can probably protect him until we arrive as well. I will stay. Go on"

Unless someone else volunteers, William dons his large cloak which barely makes his armor and weapons non-visible, and waits at the door for the informant to appear.

Minescratcher
2017-01-27, 03:32 PM
William

William glances around.

"Perce is again right. We could do all these later. I can bring the informant to the tavern. I can probably protect him until we arrive as well. I will stay. Go on"

Unless someone else volunteers, William dons his large cloak which barely makes his armor and weapons non-visible, and waits at the door for the informant to appear.

"Hold a moment, Sir Marshall. I will follow behind you at a discrete distance once you begin to move. If there is any... disturbance, I mean if you are attacked or the informant betrays us, I can easily provide support from range. There is no sense in allowing anyone to go alone, particularly in these dangerous parts."

Martin pulled his wand from its place in his coat and manifested a weak snap of arcane energy through it to back up his statement.

Kio
2017-01-27, 04:00 PM
"Hold a moment, Sir Marshall. I will follow behind you at a discrete distance once you begin to move. If there is any... disturbance, I mean if you are attacked or the informant betrays us, I can easily provide support from range. There is no sense in allowing anyone to go alone, particularly in these dangerous parts."

"Th-that leaves Athelstan, Geth and I to go ahead to the tavern, Correct? Sir William will meet the informant, and Mr. Holte will tail them." Perce Checked to make sure he had the scrolls he needed, just in case. "L-let us go and see if The Broken Wheel Tavern is indeed still operational."

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-27, 08:14 PM
"Right!" Says Athelstan, heading for the door. "I'll head to the meeting site with the rest incase there are any traps set up." Athelstan opens the door and begins to leave.

Meltheim
2017-01-28, 01:36 PM
Geth - Salt District

Geth is mostly quiet, still not used to having an opinion in things. "That sounds like a good plan to me. I have never been in a tavern before. Are all of the women naked or just the ones who serve alcohol?" He blushes a bit at the last, but does his best to put on a brave face.

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-28, 05:24 PM
Athelstan stumbled slightly on his way out the door and stopped, looking at Geth. "Naked..?" Athelstan asked.

ProudGrognard
2017-01-29, 03:04 AM
William

William, in the process of securing his flail, hears the question of Geth and drops it. The bang echoes in the warehouse. For a moment, William is not sure what to do, either laugh, close his mouth or pick up the flail. he opts for the later two. With great determination he straightens his face, he faces Geth and says

"Not generally naked, Master Geth. Though I cannot vouch for that specific tavern."

Kio
2017-01-29, 01:53 PM
Perce stiffens at the question regarding the tavern girls, and then he jumps at the loud sound of the flail hitting the warehouse floor. Throughly flustered, he tries to explain.

"Y-y-y-y-young m-m-monk! I c-can assure you th-that all of the p-patrons and employees of the t-tavern will be f-fully c-c-c-clothed!"

He adjusted his spectacles several times.

"Th-the o-only n-naked girls you m-may find will be.. erm... ehem..." he clears his throats and lowers his voice, "very expensive. Heh."

He attempted an awkward smile, then followed Athelstan out onto the dreary street. He produced his map, and began to direct the group towards the tavern.

Minescratcher
2017-01-29, 03:08 PM
Martin stopped putting his wand back in his coat in the middle of the motion. "Yes, to the best of my knowledge that is only a very specific kind of tavern. Now, if we could proceed with the plan, please?" Though it may have sounded like a question, one look at Martin's slightly reddish face would show that it wasn't.

Martin pulled one of the healing potions out of the crate and slid it into his belt. Adjusting the locket's clasp on its chain, he walked carefully to the unlocked warehouse nearby and settled down to wait. Before he began to watch the street outside, he picked up one of the acrid-smelling glass vials, looked it over thoroughly, and placed it in his bag for further investigation.

Meltheim
2017-01-29, 06:05 PM
Geth - Salt District

"Ohhh hmm" Geth says, clearly conflicted with what little he knows of taverns and what his companions are telling him. "But Master Oerlin .... well if they aren't all naked ...." he trots along after Athelstan , "then why couldn't I ever go to a tavern? They do serve alcohol, right? Maybe he was just being overprotective ..."

CovertCobalt
2017-01-29, 07:09 PM
William dur Marshall & Martin Ferre

As Perce, Athelstan, and Geth make their way down the street and into the mist, the area becomes eerily quiet. The mist seems almost to choke out the background noise of Varcona, reducing it to a steady, subdued hum. The sounds of gently crashing waves can be heard off in the distance, toward the docks, while the gentle pitter-patter of the rain continues above. Martin settles into his position, hidden cleverly in another warehouse, while William waits outside. Ten long and silent minutes pass, each one seeming to last longer than those that came previously.

Finally, the two men hear light footfalls coming toward them rapidly, making light splashes on the wet cobblestones. A young, dark-haired woman darts around a corner, checking both sides of the street carefully before approaching the warehouse. She catches sight and William and stops suddenly, narrowing her eyes. Then, she walks over cautiously and leans against the warehouse wall directly across from Martin's hiding place. She addresses William without making eye contact.

"Haven't seen you 'round these parts before, stranger? You waiting for someone?"

Although she's hiding it well, she's clearly fighting hard to not breathe heavily. She's exhausted and rattled.

Athelstan, Geth, and Perce

Perce leads the other two men through the narrow, winding streets without too much difficulty. The closer they get to the docks, however, the thicker the mist becomes, and the colder the light rain gets. By the time they reach the immense, half-collapsed stone bridge, the three are soaked in frigid rainwater. The tavern's window-shutters are closed, but a hint of firelight can be seen through the gaps.

Two gaunt, elderly men sit under the protection of the stone bridge, leaning their backs against the side of the tavern. One of them spies the newcomers and quickly shoves something into his ragged sleeve before wiping his mouth and beard clean with the other. The other removes an old hat from his head and flips it upside down on the cobbles, nudging the other man as he does so. The first one, his beard still wet around his mouth, calls out, his voice reedy and weak. "Spare a coin to help two poor brothers? We served our part when the goblins came, yessir, but we didn't get one copper from it." The other nods and jostles the hat again.

ProudGrognard
2017-01-30, 02:11 AM
William

William 's eyes narrow as he sees the woman. She is in distress, but tries to hide it. Perhaps she is been followed. He talks in a low voice, just enough to be heard,

"I am indeed not from around here. I am waiting to speak to someone. We have a common family as a friend. I was to meet in this warehouse. If this person was to appear, I am to escort him to a nearby tavern where the food is good and conversation is easy. I would of course act so that nothing happened to this person.

I can be very effective in deterring harm from coming to others. One could say that it is my specialty. Perhaps you are who I am waiting for?"

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-30, 03:49 AM
Athelstan walks up to the old men. "I suppose I can spare something.." he rummages in his cloak for his coinpurse, pulling it from an inner pocket and, being careful not to show off the contents, pulls out a copper piece and drops it into the hat. He pulls out one more and, as he goes to drop it in, pauses with the second coin still in hand, clearly visible to the old men. "Say, old-timers, don't suppose you can tell me any interesting rumors you've heard around the salt-district?" Athelstan says, affecting an air of nonchalance and holding the copper over the hat.

Meltheim
2017-01-31, 02:51 AM
Geth - Salt District

Keeping his distance from the two old men under the bridge, Geth peers quizzically at them. His instincts were to reach for his purse and to help them out, but his instincts about what to expect about the tavern had already been wrong.

Insight on the men under the bridge [roll0]

Kio
2017-02-02, 03:19 PM
Perce squints his eyes through the fog and drizzle at the pitiful men huddled beneath the bridge. There was water on his glasses, and he felt soaked to the bone.

CovertCobalt
2017-02-02, 06:29 PM
William and Martin

The woman darts a glance over her shoulder toward the alley she came from and gives a tiny nod. She keeps her voice level as she continues to speak, however. "I don't know why you'd be meeting anyone at some old warehouse, but if you'd escort a lady to somewhere dry and warm, it would be much appreciated." She widens her eyes a little and surreptitiously holds up four fingers to William, making sure her body is between her hand and the alley. She smiles and takes a step toward him, snaking her arm through his own. "The name's Natalya. What's yours?"

From Martin's position across the road, he can make out a pair of shadowy figures skulking in the mist near a collapsed wall, toward where the woman came from. They seem to be attempting to creep forward without being noticed, but do not have weapons drawn.

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/images/3849807/Natalya_Overin.jpg

The hatless man grins widely as Athelstan drops the coin, revealing a total of three, strong-looking teeth. His grin freezes in place when the warrior makes his offer, and the bearded man looks over at his brother and nods furiously. "Why thank yee kindly, sir. I reckon we'll take yee up on that offer."

The bearded man spits to one side before speaking. "I could tell yee where to get a mighty fine elixir, yessir. Best in the whole of Varcona." His right hand goes to his left sleeve suddenly, touching something as if to reassure himself. "If you go to the Wrinkled Ferret tavern after sundown, most nights there'll be some fellas sellin'." He looks to Athelstan's hand and then to the hat expectantly.

These old men seem like honest beggars, but the bearded one is hiding something in his sleeve. Based on his appearance, it's likely that he's a regular Whisper user. Luckily, he doesn't seem to be in danger of overdosing right now.

Thanks to his keen wizard's senses, Perce gets a strange feeling from the bearded man, almost like a buzzing in his teeth. There's something strangely magical about the man's aura, but he doesn't feel like a practitioner of any sort.

TheManicMonocle
2017-02-04, 03:12 AM
"Indeed?" says Athelstan, feigning interest in buying the drug. He drops the copper into the hat and thanks the beggars, filing away the information for later. He begins heading towards the tavern entrance. If the other members follow, Athelstan will enter the tavern.

Minescratcher
2017-02-05, 11:58 AM
Martin's eyes narrowed as he noticed the figures behind Natalya.

"Ah, blast." he thought to himself.

He silently pulled his wand from the inside of his coat and watched them intently for any signs of malicious intent. He was ready to stop them in their tracks if it became necessary.

Kio
2017-02-06, 02:11 PM
Perce peers a bit closer at the bearded man. Could it be the cold? Was he being paranoid? No, Perce knew this feeling better than that. As they turned and walked farther from the two men, and just before they entered the tavern, Perce spoke in a low voice to the other members,

"S-sir Stormhammer, Young M-master Brightwood... It seems that Lord and Lady Forlona's assumptions may have been correct. Th-that man had no semblance of anyone with any respect or talent for the Arcane, and yet he was undoubtedly under magical influence of some type. While he and his... friend, seemed harmless enough, we m-must keep our wits about us. Magic, especially when it is so thoughtlessly dispersed to those without the training to control it, is extremely p-p-perilous."

ProudGrognard
2017-02-09, 11:21 AM
William

William catches Martin's movements from the corner of his eye, but he still cannot see where the lurkers are. Trusting that Martin could handle the reconnaissance, William says

"I am William. Let's go have our drink then. Such invitations by pretty ladies should not go unanswered."

From up close, his face is not playful but serious, nodding to Natalya to let her know that he understands the situation and is not flirting.

Meltheim
2017-02-09, 09:25 PM
Geth - Salt District

Geth files away what he's seen in his memory, so that he's not caught by surprise later. He follows the lead of the others and keeps his wits about him as they head inside.

CovertCobalt
2017-02-12, 02:47 PM
william and Martin

Natalya and William walk down the streets, the former making light talk about the weather and other banal topics. In between sentences, she whispers softly, just loud enough for William to hear. "All four are Docknives; I recognize their faces. Spotted me a few blocks away and I barely got away. Must've had a lookout somewhere." She makes a show of shivering and speeds up her pace a bit, complaining of the cold. "If we can get somewhere more public, they may lose interest for the time being."

As the pair walk away from the warehouse, Martin sees the two figures clearly come into view, emerging from the mist. One, a tall, broad-shouldered man with a disfiguring facial scar, kicks at the wooden warehouse door in frustration. The other, a stocky woman with a strange bandolier, grabs him by the forearm and pulls him back, hissing furiously. Her voice is raspy and strained, like someone who has survived a slashed throat.

"Knock it off, damn you. She doesn't know we're followin' her yet, and we could take the two of 'em if need to." She gestures vaguely in the direction from which she came. "I sent Kal and Jeras the long way 'round, so we can flank 'em. The pretty-lookin' tall one shouldn't be a problem that way." The tall man grins, revealing several missing teeth. His meaty hand goes to his belt and draws a cudgel, studded with rusted nails.

The Broke Wheel Tavern, the men note, has seen better days. The chairs are rickety and falling apart, patches of the wooden floor have cracked, and the sooty fireplace looks like it hasn't been cleaned properly in months. Above the mantle, a broken cartwheel is hung, painted a vibrant blue. Despite the tavern's shortcomings, the smell of ale and stew fills the air, and at least a dozen patrons populate the tavern's sitting area, despite the time of day. Most nurse drinks somberly, staring off into space or snoozing quietly. In the corner, a group of Halflings play a strange card game, which seems to involve six dice and a spinning top. Their rowdiness is the only thing keeping the room from silence.

Behind the bar, a Dwarven man, strangely beardless, polishes a mug with a rag. On the wall behind him are numerous bottles of ale, wine, and spirits, many of which have a generous coating of dust. A large barrel of ale seems to be one of the few casks that's used often, given its relative cleanliness.

Minescratcher
2017-02-16, 04:47 PM
Martin just managed to catch himself before he swore under his breath. While that bit about being flanked was important, it was too late to tell William now.

He waited for them to move, then followed them through the nearly empty streets, doing his best to avoid notice. He kept his wand aimed at the woman, mentally reviewing the necessary movements and words to activate his magic.

Kio
2017-02-17, 12:35 PM
Perce Nervously glances around the inside of the Broken Wheel. His knuckles turned white as he gripped his spellbook tighter. The air in the tavern is mellow, but for some reason, Perce feels terribly on-edge. After a tense moment or two, Perce closes his eyes, trying to focus himself. He concentrates and tries to remember the name of the beardless dwarf behind the counter

[roll0]

TheManicMonocle
2017-02-20, 12:45 AM
Athelstan enters the tavern like it were a second home, having been to many a tavern with his fellow soldiers. He sits in a chair at a large table with a clear view of the door, falling into it as if he had every confidence that it would hold his weight. He yells out an order for some ale to a passing barmaid, using his loud soldier's voice to cut through the sound of the halflings.

CovertCobalt
2017-02-22, 06:45 PM
William and Martin

Martin follows quietly, darting between alleyways and ramshackle buildings to stay out of sight. As the pair of thugs ahead of him walk, he notices that the woman has withdrawn a group of feathered darts from her bandolier. She coats one of them carefully with a clear substance from a vial at her belt, smiling wickedly as she does so. "This oughta make the big'un less of a problem." She cackles quietly, pulling a blowgun from inside her sleeve.

Martin will have advantage on his first attack roll directed against the pair, due to to their ignorance of his presence. If he decides not to attack, you may transfer that advantage to a relevant skill check instead.

A few of the tavern-goers give Geth and Perce long stares at first, before turning their heads back to their drinks when Athelstan steps confidently into the room. A barmaid bustles over with a mug of ale, smiling weakly at the men and brushing a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "Will you gentlemen be needing anything else? Some soup perhaps?" She shifts nervously from foot to foot, eyeing the men with a mixture of confusion and apprehension.

Perce wracks his memory and finds a shred of a memory, perhaps something he'd read in a book somewhere. Apparently, the tavern has been owned by the Brinehammer family for several generations.

The barmaid is attempting to cover a nasty looking bruise on the side of her head.

Kio
2017-02-24, 12:51 PM
Perce joins Athelstan at the large table, sitting down more gingerly, and glancing around. After a long moment's thought, he barely grasped at a name. "If I am r-remembering correctly, the dwarf at the bar may be one in the Brinehammer family. It is curious, his lack of... facial hair..." Perce peered closer, adjusting his glasses.

Then the barmaid approached.

[roll0]

"Wh- Why, Miss! Y-your face! What happened? Who struck you?"

Meltheim
2017-02-25, 03:30 PM
Geth - Broken Wheel Tavern

"I'd love some sou . . ." The grin on Geth's face fades away quickly as Perce points out the woman's bruising. "Are you in need of healing? Perhaps there is someone who can help you at the temple?"

Minescratcher
2017-02-27, 12:05 PM
Martin readied himself for a fight. The man was probably no more than muscle, but the woman clearly had poisoned darts. Martin chose his target and put a powerful hex on him: Then, recalling that blowguns had good range despite, well, being what they were, he hung back slightly, waiting to launch his intervention until they were 90 feet away and almost hard to see. He pulled his wand forward and launched a bolt of sparkling green light out from its tip, which whistled through the air and into the woman's back.

Martin casts hex and eldritch blast at the woman. She now has disadvantage on all Wisdom checks and takes an extra 1d6 necrotic damage from all of Martin's attacks.

Attack w/ Advantage: [roll0], [roll1]
Damage:[roll2] force + [roll3] necrotic, 8 total