PDA

View Full Version : The Burning Hate in Golarion?

The Glyphstone
2017-01-04, 02:46 PM
For people who aren't familiar with it, requoting from the original and long-dead Wizards forum post:

On the evil of Pelor

Pelor is commonly thought to be the near embodiment of Neutral Good. As a sun god, he is thought to be the enemy of the undead and the author of life through his gifts. He is also a god of Strength, for he advocates that the weak must be protected by those capable.

However, recent revelations have given rise to a sect of thought (some label it an outright heresy) that Pelor may not be what he claims to be. A passage in the Book of Exalted Deeds states that Pelor refused to send his paladin a sunfly swarm to destroy a vampire that had murdered his family, while the paladin was out doing Pelor’s work. In the same section, a CG god named Kord visited a plague upon his worshipper who was defeated on the battlefield. Speculations abound as to why Pelor refused his faithful paladin and range from defending the god (Pelor couldn’t allow himself to stoop to the mortal’s level of hate) to accusing the god (Pelor wanted to see his paladin suffer). No concrete answer could be found, but for those who thought it was a poor choice on Pelor’s part, it led to a path of horrific discovery after discovery.

Further investigation revealed (in the Epic Level Handbook) that the Lord High Priest of Pelor denounced her deity and the faith. It also said that the secret texts of a prominent religion, recently discovered, call into question the church’s real goal, its actual origin and the agenda of its god.

From there we turn to the Player's Handbook.

Jozan, the archetypical cleric of the Burning Hate is shown using symbol of pain, a 5th level cleric spell with the evil descriptor (PH 291). The SRD and PHB have two things to say about this:

First, a cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.

Second, a cleric’s alignment must be within one step of his deity’s (that is, it may be one step away on either the lawful-chaotic axis or the good-evil axis, but not both). A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity’s alignment is also neutral.

This means that Jozan can not be good-aligned, since he can casts evil spells. Nor Pelor can be , because he can grant evil aligned spells, that can only come from a non-good deity. So, Pelor can not be good-aligned.

Also, Jozan has been seen stepping on the face of his allies to rise higher, rather than store his shield and mace (PH 68). That is not the act of a good-aligned being and shows quite a level of paranoia and mistrust against his allies.

Moving on from there to the Complete Scoundrel, we find the path of the malconvoker introduced. This path requires a non-evil alignment and deals in the summoning of demons. A quote from the iconic malconvoker: “Take him my slaves! Drag his soul back to your dark masters!” - Argyll Te’Shea, servant of Pelor and malconvoker. The summoning of demons has always been one of the most vile acts. Page 8 of the Book of Vile Darkness states that Consorting with Fiends is evil. The statement “Allowing a fiend to exist, let alone summoning one or helping one, is clearly evil”. More minor sections deal with ‘casting evil spells’ and ‘damning or harming souls’, both of which are clearly present within the Pelor-sponsored malconvoker. One could very well suspect this path to be nothing more than a thinly disguised trap for the unwary and their souls.

Also introduced into the Complete Scoundrel is the grey guard, which some may note “hey, that’s just a slightly lighter version of the blackguard!” Indeed. Another step into the Lower Planes, this one is aimed at paladins rather than wizards and clerics. While I have not been able to tie the grey guard directly to Pelor as of yet, it seems that the taint caused by his masquerade is growing to touch even the sincere good aligned gods.

Looking at the relics that Pelor sponsors shows another side of this dark story. The dawnstar, if sundered or broken, deals massive damage to all other creatures (aside from the wielder) within a 30 foot radius. Clearly, this power was inserted with no thought given to the cost for the wielder’s allies. The original dawnstars were given to 4 solars who rescued one of Pelor’s paladins from Baator (known as Perdition in some texts). A question arises then: what exactly was the paladin doing in Hell? If he had died and gone to Hell, that suggests some oddity concerning his faith and alignment. If he ended in Hell due to his own dealings with the devils (which are endorsed by the Church of Pelor, don’t forget), then it seems that Pelor was flouting the Pact Primeval, an ancient law enacted before Pelor’s time. It seems that there are only a few possible answers. One, Pelor is truly of Hell, and his worshipper ended there because of his faith. Two, the paladin ended up in Hell of his own actions and Pelor gave no thought to the stability of the cosmos in order to bring him back. (Probably out of fear for what information torture would bring to the paladin’s tongue.) Three, Pelor sponsors LE paladins, known as paladins of tyranny (in a complete twisting of the term paladin) because he is a vile god of evil.

The Inquisitor Bracers are another magic item sponsored by Pelor. These bracers justify the use of force on innocent people in order to sort them out from undead. You can’t use the power of the bracers with a touch attack (to see if the positive energy perhaps burns the undead). You must swing your weapon with all force at the target, and hope that the positive energy undoes any mistake you might make. What a sick idea. A paladin on a different world once had a similar idea for dealing with undead. His name was Prince Arthas. Of Warcraft III fame.

Pelor’s final relic is a sun shard, which is fairly simple, it fires searing light at two targets. This isn’t damning in and of itself, but consider that while other good gods (Elonna and Yondalla for example) offered relics that aided mortals, Pelor’s are all intended to destroy. This is of course, not a huge point against Pelor, but when added onto the mountain of evidence, seems to be just one more confirmation.

One adventuring group, headed by a tough talking thug named Dyson, followed the path against Pelor when they discovered something amiss within his church. Connections were drawn between Pelor and Baal. That story can be told by Dyson himself or his dungeon master Feanor. It should be noted however, that they began following this path of discovery prior to the release of the Book of Exalted Deeds. They were the first to see the truth and were shunned for it at the time. Those of us who have had our eyes opened to the light of the Burning Hate owe them a debt of gratitude.

Another adventuring group, this one composed of angels, were betrayed by their god into the hands of Lixer, a Prince of Hell. They were broken, one by one. One was twisted into a demon, one lost faith in the path of the Celestial Compact, one was blasted from existence and the last was petrified and stands still in the Court of a Lord of Hell. The god was not named, but he was a god of the sun. Again, this story predates the release of the Book of Exalted Deeds.

One final member of Dicefreaks has added information. Alratan was the first Freak to bring up evil uses for positive energy and good uses for negative energy. While his study does not accuse Pelor of anything (or indeed, deal with Pelor at all), it does point to an alternate path of positive energy, with which Pelor is definitely associated. (Positive energy, not the alternate path.) This is important because many dubious (and some slack-jawed) people have pointed towards Pelor’s association with the sun and positive energy as proof of his inherent goodness.

It must be noted that nothing is proven. Pelor still sits in Elysium. No good-aligned gods have moved against him, nor have they chilled alliances with the Sun God. It may be this is a smear campaign engineered by fiends, or simply the overactive imaginations of mortals. However, the above presented are facts, not fiction. Draw your own conclusions, but think twice before you choose the True Believer feat in Pelor’s name. Below are my own conclusions drawn from the evidence.

Pelor is a Neutral (lawful tendencies) Evil god of Sun and Strength.
Pelor is a god of skin cancer, sun burns, thirst, and burning agony.
Pelor hates undead as they cannot properly suffer in the same way as mortals.
Pelor’s divine realm is on Elysium.
Pelor has deceived the good gods and mortals for so long that he has grown complacent in his position. The recent revelations are not purposeful, they are accidents caused by the god being sloppy.
Pelor has many connections with Hell through both Bel and Belial and previously through Zariel.
Pelor may have engineered the Great Fall of Eblis, Triel, and the others.
It is unknown if the devils, yugoloths, or demons are aware that Pelor is evil. Presumably they are ignorant.

The above is intended to make clear the position of those people who claim Pelor is evil. It is not intended as a slur on those who seek to worship Pelor as a benign deity nor as concrete proof of his evil. The investigation into his misconduct is currently ongoing and no final judgement should be passed at this juncture.

I've got inklings for a campaign I want to run revolving around the Burning Hate heresy, but I also kind of want to do it in Golarion for the convenience of a fleshed-out and fully developed setting to work with. The obvious problem being that there is no Pelor in the default Golarion pantheon. Sarenrae seems to be Pelor's direct analogue between pantheons, a NG deity of the Sun, Light, and Healing, but are the two deities' doctrines close enough to make the transition of a Burning Hate Heresy over, necessarily discounting the image-based evidence featuring Josan?

Elricaltovilla
2017-01-04, 04:51 PM
Actually, iomedae might be a better fit given her zealousness, upstart nature, shady dealings with a "utopian" eugenecists society, long-standing association with Asmodeus and the temper tantrum she can throw in Wrath of the Righteous.

Frosty
2017-01-04, 06:02 PM
My personal conspiracy theory is that she caused Aroden's death in order to ascend to his spot!

Psyren
2017-01-04, 06:11 PM
Not to be Buzzkillington over here, but the Burning Hate "joke" is ultimately based on three mechanical quirks:

a) Jozan, the iconic 3.5 cleric of Pelor, is shown in the PHB casting the evil spell Deathwatch.
b) The iconic Malconvoker is shown consorting with fiends, which is technically still evil by BoVD even though the class gives you an exception for the spells used to do so.
c) Zarus, the extremely racist Hitler-analogue god of humanity from Races of Destiny, has a lot of (largely superficial but uncanny nonetheless) similarities with Pelor.

None of these applies to Sarenrae - Deathwatch was fixed in PF to drop the [evil] tag, neither the BoVD passage nor the Malconvoker apply to PF, and Zarus didn't make the cut either.

Elricaltovilla
2017-01-04, 06:23 PM
And what does that have to do with trying to tell a similar story? Obviously Zarus and Pelor aren't a thing in Golarion, but that doesn't mean that the idea of an evil god posing as a good god isn't a story hook worth exploring.

Waker
2017-01-04, 06:24 PM
How about you have to Burning Hate be a relatively new sect that is muscling in on Sarenrae's turf? But rather than be an out and out crusade between the two churches, it's more of a cloak and dagger infiltration? Then Inquisitors could actually get to do their job and root out heresy.

The Glyphstone
2017-01-04, 06:34 PM
Not to be Buzzkillington over here, but the Burning Hate "joke" is ultimately based on three mechanical quirks:

a) Jozan, the iconic 3.5 cleric of Pelor, is shown in the PHB casting the evil spell Deathwatch.
b) The iconic Malconvoker is shown consorting with fiends, which is technically still evil by BoVD even though the class gives you an exception for the spells used to do so.
c) Zarus, the extremely racist Hitler-analogue god of humanity from Races of Destiny, has a lot of (largely superficial but uncanny nonetheless) similarities with Pelor.

None of these applies to Sarenrae - Deathwatch was fixed in PF to drop the [evil] tag, neither the BoVD passage nor the Malconvoker apply to PF, and Zarus didn't make the cut either.

He's shown casting Symbol of Pain actually, not Deathwatch, and that's still Evil in PF. The point is still accurate, but it's the spirit of the idea that I'm looking to replicate - a seemingly Good god of light and healing and fluffy bunnies actually being a hateful tyrant.

How about you have to Burning Hate be a relatively new sect that is muscling in on Sarenrae's turf? But rather than be an out and out crusade between the two churches, it's more of a cloak and dagger infiltration? Then Inquisitors could actually get to do their job and root out heresy.

This will probably be something close to the direction I take, in the end. What I'm ultimately trying to to is set the groundwork for an Elder Evils cultist game set in Golarion, with the PCs working to summon their apocalyptic patron. All the printed Elder Evils failed to interest me, though, and I'm vehemently opposed to just lazily slapping in the Great Old Ones despite their public domaincanon status. So I have to come up with something new, and creating an Elder Evil born out of a Golarion-analogue to the Burning Hate Heresy was the most solid thing I thought up that was at least somewhat original.

Waker
2017-01-04, 06:40 PM
This will probably be something close to the direction I take, in the end. What I'm ultimately trying to to is set the groundwork for an Elder Evils cultist game set in Golarion, with the PCs working to summon their apocalyptic patron. All the printed Elder Evils failed to interest me, though, and I'm vehemently opposed to just lazily slapping in the Great Old Ones despite their public domaincanon status. So I have to come up with something new, and creating an Elder Evil born out of a Golarion-analogue to the Burning Hate Heresy was the most solid thing I thought up that was at least somewhat original.
Did you need help fleshing out ideas then?

Psyren
2017-01-04, 06:52 PM
He's shown casting Symbol of Pain actually, not Deathwatch, and that's still Evil in PF. The point is still accurate, but it's the spirit of the idea that I'm looking to replicate - a seemingly Good god of light and healing and fluffy bunnies actually being a hateful tyrant.

Point, I was thinking of the Slayer of Domiel inconsistency there. Well, at least they got Kyra's list right :smalltongue:

And what does that have to do with trying to tell a similar story? Obviously Zarus and Pelor aren't a thing in Golarion, but that doesn't mean that the idea of an evil god posing as a good god isn't a story hook worth exploring.

Hey, I did say I was being a buzzkill :smallwink:

And I'm not against the idea - rather, it's just the idea of it being Sarenrae that I think might be an issue. To me it would be like the god of barbarians impersonating Mystra. Could you theoretically write a story around it, absolutely, but such a deity might have better luck with a smaller fish.

Or this, this definitely works too. A splinter group is somehow doing terrible things in her name and getting their spells from... somewhere.

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-01-04, 07:04 PM
And Razmir laughs.

The Glyphstone
2017-01-04, 07:06 PM
Did you need help fleshing out ideas then?

It certainly wouldn't hurt. This was just the early genesis.

Waker
2017-01-04, 07:16 PM
It certainly wouldn't hurt. This was just the early genesis.

Just toss some ideas out when you have them and we'll do what we can to help. I suppose some questions to ask would be things like what is the party's role going to be? Are they agents of the Church, outside contractors or just some random murder hobos who stumbled across a plot? You mentioned the Burning Hate being sorta Elementally Evil, is stealing worshipers from a deity with a similar portfolio part of his nefarious scheme to bathe the world in flames?! Gonna import all of the Pelor quirks from 3rd? Like will the Burning Hate still really dislike undead and if so, have you given any thought as to why?

The Glyphstone
2017-01-04, 08:05 PM
Let's throw this out here as Draft A:

In the prehistory of the world and official canon, Sarenrae is credited as being one of the earliest gods that battled Rovagug into submission and helped imprison it. Her holy book, Light and Truth, goes into great detail about all the monsters and fiends that she defeated long before becoming a true goddess. The secret that she and her church have deliberately suppressed for all this time, though, is that "Sarenrae' is technically an usurper, one of a pair of identical twin sister goddesses. Call them Saren and Rae - Saren was the fearless warrior and scimitar-slinging slayer of monsters, while Rae was a cowardly but skilled healer who kept her sister in prime fighting condition. Together, they did defeat Rovagug, but while everyone was celebrating the victory, Rae betrayed her sister - blinding and horribly burning her before exiling her into the depths of the void. Taking her sister's identity and blaming Rovagug for the disappearance of 'Rae', she became the deity that mortals would eventually know as Sarenrae.

The original Saren spent eons on the brink of death, slowly recovering. Eventually, she woke up, finding that her treacherous sibling had stolen credit for her victories and become one of Golarion's most powerful deities. All that time in the dark void twisted her as well, feeding on her hatred. She wants to reclaim what is rightfully hers, overthrowing and destroying Sarenrae and wreaking apocalyptic vengeance on everyone and everything responsible for Sarenrae's current status.

Waker
2017-01-04, 08:36 PM
While the story sounds cool, it does suffer from the fact that "Sarenrae" couldn't be a Good deity if they committed that kind of treachery. At best she would be Neutral. Now if Saren was plotting to commit deicide first and Rae simply overcame her and decided to keep her sister's crime a secret that would be another thing.

The Glyphstone
2017-01-04, 08:41 PM
While the story sounds cool, it does suffer from the fact that "Sarenrae" couldn't be a Good deity if they committed that kind of treachery. At best she would be Neutral. Now if Saren was plotting to commit deicide first and Rae simply overcame her and decided to keep her sister's crime a secret that would be another thing.

..Actually, I can work with that. It fits the canon 'Sarenrae''s depiction of not destroying enemies in hopes that they can be redeemed. She stopped her sister, but couldn't bear to actually kill her, so instead she crippled and exiled her to give her time to heal and repent.

Xuldarinar
2017-01-04, 08:44 PM
The burning hate does exist in Golarion, its just the nature of the patron is more open; Nurgal has a number of similarities to Pelor (Burning Hatred).

Given that sun gods tend to be good, I wouldn't be surprised if a group of good clerics were... misinformed.

That being said, such a heresy with Sarenrae would be interesting.

Sayt
2017-01-04, 09:34 PM
It might also be worth noting that Sarenrae's church is currently schisming. One side is drawing up on 'Crusade against infidels' the other is pushing on the redemption aspect.

The Glyphstone
2017-01-05, 01:08 AM
It might also be worth noting that Sarenrae's church is currently schisming. One side is drawing up on 'Crusade against infidels' the other is pushing on the redemption aspect.

See, now that is interesting. Which book is that detailed in, cause it definitely sounds like something I'd be able to use as a catalyst; if the church is already starting to split, it'd be the perfect time for the long-hidden cult of the 'true goddess' hidden in their midst to start actively working for her return.

Is Rovagug known for corrupting existing things, or only for spawning horrible pre-mutated monsters?

Waker
2017-01-05, 01:24 AM
See, now that is interesting. Which book is that detailed in, cause it definitely sounds like something I'd be able to use as a catalyst; if the church is already starting to split, it'd be the perfect time for the long-hidden cult of the 'true goddess' hidden in their midst to start actively working for her return.

Couldn't find any direct comments on the schism, but I did find this PrC while poking around. http://www.pathfindercommunity.net/classes/prestige-classes/dawnflower-dissident Figured it might give you some ideas.

Sayt
2017-01-05, 02:22 AM

Is Rovagug known for corrupting existing things, or only for spawning horrible pre-mutated monsters?

I think it's detailed a bit over a few books, but basically Taldor and Qadira have a longstanding national feud dating back to Qadira's occupation of Taldor. Sarenrae's temple has been abolished in Taldor, whereas in Qadira it's basically the national religion. Look in the inner sea world guide for the Cult of the Dawnflower, which is an influential sec in Qadira tied up with the Qadiran military and government. It doesn't push for outright evil, but it is militaristic and pushes for Qadiran dominance and hegemony.

Rovagug's influence isn't so much corrupting as destrutive, though Second Darkness does attribute is rumblings, combined with demon influence as the cause of the Elves who remained on Golarion turning into the Drow

Bad Wolf
2017-01-05, 10:39 AM
On the subject of the Burning Hate, id like to point out that paladins end up in hell all the time from trying to save souls or go on a devil-killing crusade, as inadvisable as that may be. Pelor was probably just giving him a ride out.

The Glyphstone
2017-01-05, 01:10 PM
There's two ways I can see to go with this. The first option is to make the conceptual heresy genuine, if a bit misguided. There were two sister-goddesses at the dawn of time; one went evil/crazy for some reason, the other betrayed her for Good reasons then stashed her away to hopefully heal over time. Instead of healing, she gets even more evil and crazy, and decides to get revenge. This does require a solid reason for Sister #1 to go all deicidal to begin with, but is otherwise workable, though thematically it'd be more likely to result in a weak demigod.

Option 2, which is more complicated but might fit the Elder Evil theme, is to have the heresy be just that - a genuine heresy. It's a total sham perpetuated by a rival god or church early in the growth of Sarenrae's church, either a prank or a serious attempt to undermine her. It mostly died out planned, but spawned a genuine secret schism of worshippers who believed the myth and devoted their worship to the false "Sarenrae'. Power like that, directed at a real deity but interpreted in such a deviant fashion that it might as well be an imaginary deity, has to go somewhere. So in the depths of the void, something is born that believes itself to be a god. Built out of the evil energies of the Dark Tapestry and fed by that trickle of stolen worship, convinced that it actually is the true inheritor of Sarenrae's church and determined to take it back with all the burning and vengeance that requires.

Eldariel
2017-01-05, 01:50 PM
You could add some substance and uniqueness to #2 by adding some instance of birth for the creature. Not just any random accumulation of energy, but perhaps it could be more directly tied to the cult if they e.g. "sacrificed" one of Saerenrae's artifacts in the name of this imaginary deity. Perhaps the cataclysmic power released from said artifact was the power which came to bring to life and empower this dark being - power of course channeled through their prayers and magic for "Saerenrae".

The Glyphstone
2017-01-05, 01:53 PM
You could add some substance and uniqueness to #2 by adding some instance of birth for the creature. Not just any random accumulation of energy, but perhaps it could be more directly tied to the cult if they e.g. "sacrificed" one of Saerenrae's artifacts in the name of this imaginary deity. Perhaps the cataclysmic power released from said artifact was the power which came to bring to life and empower this dark being.

Huh. I had already planned on part of the campaign goal being stealing holy artifacts and profaning them to increase 'her' power. So it actually makes perfect sense for the catalyst of the whole thing being the desecration of such an artifact.

Waker
2017-01-05, 03:17 PM
If you do go with Option 1, you could allow a steady steam of prayer to be directed to the imprisoned goddess. Maybe Rae didn't fill out the paperwork for legally changing her name properly, so Saren is still getting juiced from prayers to Sarenrae. She is tremendously powerful, but unable to express that strength.

Option 2 is just dandy as well. I'm not as familiar with the exact methods for ascending, but I imagine enough believers could make their own deity. If you haven't read it, Stackpole's Age of Discovery series has a great quirk where if enough people believe something, it changes reality.

Honestly, my suggestion is to say that both origins are true. Have clues for both stories scattered around. See which plot the party seems to gravitate to and the others can be just myths, rather than history.

The Glyphstone
2017-01-05, 06:53 PM
That's work for a more traditional adventuring campaign where the PCs aren't in on the secret from the start, but if I want to run it from the 'evil' side, I'd need to at least know out-of-universe which is true. The cultists themselves, of course, initially believe the official party line about treacherous betrayal, but when the campaign endgame involves actually summoning their 'goddess', what they'll get is important. Could be another small point in favor of option 2, for a surprise late or end-game twist; the differential between the myth and Truth 1 isn't nearly as significant.

Probably a good idea to be thinking of signs too. I'll pillage the Dry Winds sample sign a bit.

Earneras, The Shadow Behind The Dawn
As the Shadow Behind The Dawn grows stronger, the sun gradually starts to resemble a hateful, glaring eye that blasts the world with agonizing heat.

Faint Sign: Natural precipitation stops. Average global temperatures rise by 1d3 degrees. Bodies and streams of water lose 1d3 feet of depth each week.

Moderate Sign: Global temperatures rise by an additional 1d6 degrees. Water sources lose 1d6 feet of depth each week. Any creature exposed to natural sunlight must make a DC10 Fortitude save or be fatigued until sundown.

Strong Sign: Temperatures increase by an additional 2d10 degrees. Water sources lose 1d10 feet of depth each week. Exposure to natural sunlight now requires a DC15 Fortitude save, and causes exhaustion instead of fatigue on a failure. Spells with the [Fire] descriptor are automatically Empowered. Spells with the [Cold] descriptor, and spells that summon or create water, must succeed on a Spellcraft check (DC 20+Spell level) or fail.

Overwhelming Sign: Temperatures increase by an additional 4d10 degrees. Water sources lose 1d100 feet of depth each week. Natural sunlight now requires a DC20 Fortitude save vs. exhaustion upon immediate exposure, and an additional DC20 Fortitude save each hour of exposure or suffer 1d6 nonlethal damage. [Fire] spells are automatically Maximized. [Cold] spells, and spells that summon or create water, must succeed on a Spellcraft check (DC25+Spell Level) or fail, and have their caster levels halved even if they succeed.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-06, 11:25 AM
Why did the Player Handbook say that Pelor is Neutral Good? I don't get it. :confused:

Psyren
2017-01-06, 12:38 PM
Why did the Player Handbook say that Pelor is Neutral Good? I don't get it. :confused:

The Burning Hate thing is a "joke." In this case though it's being used as the seed of a campaign hook in Golarion.

Malimar
2017-01-06, 12:54 PM
There's two ways I can see to go with this. The first option is to make the conceptual heresy genuine, if a bit misguided. There were two sister-goddesses at the dawn of time; one went evil/crazy for some reason, the other betrayed her for Good reasons then stashed her away to hopefully heal over time. Instead of healing, she gets even more evil and crazy, and decides to get revenge. This does require a solid reason for Sister #1 to go all deicidal to begin with, but is otherwise workable, though thematically it'd be more likely to result in a weak demigod.

Option 2, which is more complicated but might fit the Elder Evil theme, is to have the heresy be just that - a genuine heresy. It's a total sham perpetuated by a rival god or church early in the growth of Sarenrae's church, either a prank or a serious attempt to undermine her. It mostly died out planned, but spawned a genuine secret schism of worshippers who believed the myth and devoted their worship to the false "Sarenrae'. Power like that, directed at a real deity but interpreted in such a deviant fashion that it might as well be an imaginary deity, has to go somewhere. So in the depths of the void, something is born that believes itself to be a god. Built out of the evil energies of the Dark Tapestry and fed by that trickle of stolen worship, convinced that it actually is the true inheritor of Sarenrae's church and determined to take it back with all the burning and vengeance that requires.

My personal preference would be for #1, because "it was all secretly orchestrated by objectively evil folks" feels like a manichaestic cop-out, whereas having both sides have equally compelling genuine reasoning feels more satisfyingly moral-conundrum-y. I'd even go so far as to suggest most of the followers of the heresy should still be good at heart, just at worst misguided, and even the treacherous goddess should have a genuinely valid reason for her treachery.

But that's just a personal preference, and most players are probably not as into genuine moral dilemmas as I am and might appreciate a situation where one side is objectively good and the other side is objectively evil so they know who to smite.

Remuko
2017-01-06, 02:16 PM
I like option 2 but having the people causing it being totally clueless that they're not the good guys. Them genuinely believing their falsehood so fervently that even when the omens begin they don't waver, they just see it as a "test of the righteous" or something for the "true believers".

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-06, 02:29 PM
The Burning Hate thing is a "joke." In this case though it's being used as the seed of a campaign hook in Golarion.

OK. Thank you for verifying. :smile:

The Glyphstone
2017-01-06, 03:50 PM
My personal preference would be for #1, because "it was all secretly orchestrated by objectively evil folks" feels like a manichaestic cop-out, whereas having both sides have equally compelling genuine reasoning feels more satisfyingly moral-conundrum-y. I'd even go so far as to suggest most of the followers of the heresy should still be good at heart, just at worst misguided, and even the treacherous goddess should have a genuinely valid reason for her treachery.

But that's just a personal preference, and most players are probably not as into genuine moral dilemmas as I am and might appreciate a situation where one side is objectively good and the other side is objectively evil so they know who to smite.

I like option 2 but having the people causing it being totally clueless that they're not the good guys. Them genuinely believing their falsehood so fervently that even when the omens begin they don't waver, they just see it as a "test of the righteous" or something for the "true believers".

Now I'm starting to wonder if this idea is too useful to 'waste' on a campaign that, by definition, does require one side (the PC's) being objectively evil, since they are cultists of an apocalyptic horror trying to destroy the world.