PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Building a 5E Game based on Dungeons of Dredmor

Fayd
2017-01-04, 04:13 PM
Hello Playground. I'm diving headfirst into 5E for the first time, and for various reasons the most effective game-type for me would be shorter games, and that put me in mind of a simple dungeon crawl. Dungeon crawl put me in mind of a niche comedy roguelike I rather enjoy, Dungeons of Dredmor, by Gaslamp Games. It seems like something that could be fun, and even if my players aren't familiar with the source material, it's inherently silly enough that they'd have a good time. My issue is that I don't understand 5E, and more precisely 5E's numerical balance, well enough to know how to properly balance a game and still retain some of the ridiculous flavor.

What I've decided already:
1. I'm not going to do ad-hoc character building. I'm trying to learn the system, so pick the base classes.
2. Converting monsters is a relatively simple task.
3. Each floor of the dungeon should be good enough to level characters once.
4. If I want to retain the flavor of the setting, the only race should be humans.

What I'm a little stymied on are how to present Dredmor's character skills (Promethean Magic, i.e. giving fire to people in the most forceful manner possible, Necronomeconomics, Swords, Maces, Master of Arms, i.e. the Armor skill, Perception, Burglary, Killer Vegan, etc.) in an appropriate way that doesn't screw up class balance. I guess if I make them all be variant humans, I can have each skill/spell (from DoD, not from 5E) be a Feat, and that characters choose their starter skill, that could work, but I ... dunno. I guess this is why I'm looking for the Playground's help. Thoughts?