PDA

View Full Version : Creating 3.5 Spell Cards Need Help

Meierme176
2017-01-04, 05:16 PM
Hello all, So I have taken on the task of trying to create a set of cards similar to what is already made for 5E. I think it is a great/fun idea to have them and thought 3.5 players should have something similar.

I already have the design down:

**Note** The crests are not my designs, please give credit to Icrangirl. Here is the post: http://icrangirl.deviantart.com/art/...Arts-269073886

http://i66.tinypic.com/2zq8vwi.png
http://i66.tinypic.com/2drufe8.png

My issue is that being a full time mechanical engineering student, I find I have a lack of time to copy and paste all of the information from the D20 SRD into the information slots of the cards. I wanted to try to streamline line the process by possibly populating the areas with excel or something like that. My coding knowledge is very sparce (I've only taken an intro to java coarse). I was wondering If you guys know of anything that could help me out? whether it be an excel document that already has an in-depth list of spells (includes full description) or have any idea how I could go about actually filling in all the cards.

EDIT: Also let me know if this is something you guys would use. I would hate to do all this work if I'm the only one that would enjoy it. I want to create a template so that anyone could add a homebrew spell and use it in a session.

Xervous
2017-01-04, 05:35 PM
<h1>Animate Dead</h1>
<h4><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#necromancy">Necromancy</a> [<a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#descriptor">Evil</a>]</h4>
<table class="statBlock" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#level">Level</a>:</th>
<td><a href="/srd/spellLists/clericSpells.htm#thirdLevelClericSpells">Clr 3</a>, <a href="/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#deathDomain">Death 3</a>, <a href="/srd/spellLists/sorcererWizardSpells.htm#fourthLevelSorcererWizard Spells">Sor/Wiz 4</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#components">Components</a>:</th>
<td>V, S, M</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#castingTime">Casting Time</a>:</th>
<td>1 <a href="/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#standardActions">standard action</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#range">Range</a>:</th>
<td>Touch</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#targetorTargets">Targets</a>:</th>
<td>One or more corpses touched</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration">Duration</a>:</th>
<td>Instantaneous</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow">Saving Throw</a>:</th>
<td>None</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#spellResistance">Spell Resistance</a>:</th>
<td>No</td>
</tr>
</table>
<p>
This spell turns the bones or bodies of <a href="/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dead">dead</a> creatures into undead <a href="/srd/monsters/skeleton.htm">skeletons</a> or <a href="/srd/monsters/zombie.htm">zombies</a> that follow your spoken commands.
</p>
<p>
The undead can follow you, or they can remain in an area and attack any creature (or just a specific kind of creature) entering the place. They remain animated until they are destroyed. (A destroyed skeleton or zombie can’t be animated again.)
</p>
<p>
Regardless of the type of undead you create with this spell, you can’t create more HD of undead than twice your caster level with a single casting of animate dead. (The <a class="spell" href="/srd/spells/desecrate.htm">desecrate</a> spell doubles this limit)
</p>
<p>
The undead you create remain under your control indefinitely. No matter how many times you use this spell, however, you can control only 4 HD worth of <a href="/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType">undead</a> creatures per caster level. If you exceed this number, all the newly created creatures fall under your control, and any excess undead from previous castings become uncontrolled. (You choose which creatures are released.) If you are a <a href="/srd/classes/cleric.htm">cleric</a>, any undead you might command by virtue of your power to <a href="/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead">command or rebuke undead</a> do not count toward the limit.
</p>

<h6>Skeletons</h6>
<p>
A <a href="/srd/monsters/skeleton.htm">skeleton</a> can be created only from a mostly intact corpse or skeleton. The corpse must have bones. If a skeleton is made from a corpse, the flesh falls off the bones.
</p>

<h6>Zombies</h6>
<p>
A <a href="/srd/monsters/zombie.htm">zombie</a> can be created only from a mostly intact corpse. The corpse must be that of a creature with a true anatomy.
</p>

<h6>Material Component</h6>
<p>
You must place a black onyx gem worth at least 25 gp per Hit Die of the undead into the mouth or eye socket of each corpse you intend to animate. The magic of the spell turns these gems into worthless, burned-out shells.
</p>

<div class="footer">

Looking at this sample from the SRD we've got a nice structure to work with for systematically picking out the desired portions of text. If you pushed yourself to learn the code for it - a digital 'printing press' could be made up that fills folder(s) of your choosing with print ready cards. But this might not be appealing due to the whole learning part eating time. For a practical approach Excel VBA macros can handle this. I'll drop a summary in if you're interested.

Meierme176
2017-01-04, 05:57 PM
Looking at this sample from the SRD we've got a nice structure to work with for systematically picking out the desired portions of text. If you pushed yourself to learn the code for it - a digital 'printing press' could be made up that fills folder(s) of your choosing with print ready cards. But this might not be appealing due to the whole learning part eating time. For a practical approach Excel VBA macros can handle this. I'll drop a summary in if you're interested.

That would be great, thank you. I am trying to enlist the help of a CSS friend of mine. Something like that would be of great help to the both of us. He may already know what you're talking about.

Xervous
2017-01-04, 06:13 PM
Here we're working with data processing. Just locating, isolating, moving and formatting information. We know where it will be and where we want it to go.

The first step is devising a series of loops to access the SRD spells directory and pull each and every file. Going off the HTML I glanced at there is a common pattern used for presenting the information which gives you phrases that can be used as cutoff points. You know that the duration entry will be right after *-code of some sort-* and the description is found between $%#&^ and **@@##

If you're working in excel there's some tricks you can use on top of this once the formatting is properly worked out. Once you have the loops to pull all this information you can have excel load in the desired background depending on the spell school, resize it according to your needs and position it so the text falls into the right spots. You'll probably want a file type for the card backgrounds that allows for transparency, I haven't done much testing in that regard. Once the information is imported and the background is in place the macro will save this newly created card as a pdf or whatever is most convenient.

-Loops for accessing html files on D20SRD
-routines to pull the desired information from the accessed file using its formatting to know where things will be found
-some method for combining card and information

danielxcutter
2017-01-04, 06:23 PM
I have totally got to steal those designs for the webcomic I have in the works. Nothing says "Epic Mage Armor" like a bigass glowing magic seal.

Meierme176
2017-01-04, 06:23 PM
If you're working in excel there's some tricks you can use on top of this once the formatting is properly worked out. Once you have the loops to pull all this information you can have excel load in the desired background depending on the spell school, resize it according to your needs and position it so the text falls into the right spots. You'll probably want a file type for the card backgrounds that allows for transparency, I haven't done much testing in that regard. Once the information is imported and the background is in place the macro will save this newly created card as a pdf or whatever is most convenient.

I have more experience with excel and I was actually thinking about that method. I have just never done anything like that before and was wondering how difficult it would be. If I could make it auto export as a png or something so that I can arrange it as seen in my spoilers it would be amazing. I'm also trying to get my friend to set up an account on here so that he could talk to you without me trying to interpret your advice (I don't fully understand how to go about doing it) then relaying to him my understanding (or lack thereof).

I have totally got to steal those designs for the webcomic I have in the works. Nothing says "Epic Mage Armor" like a bigass glowing magic seal.

They are not my designs, please give credit to Icrangirl. Here is the post: http://icrangirl.deviantart.com/art/The-Arcane-Arts-269073886

Meierme176
2017-01-04, 06:58 PM
Just making sure I'm not an idiot

***I'm new to this site and was editing one post and deleting another. I'm posting this to make sure I didn't accidentally delete the thread as a hole. There hasn't been anymore views or posts since the edit which is the source of my worry. Please ignore this message, it's just a test.***

John Longarrow
2017-01-05, 01:36 AM
If you have access to EXCEL you probably have access to ACCESS to. creating/printing the cards isn't much of a problem with a database, plus you can import EXCEL files into ACCESS.

For the printing I'd go with the better tool. It becomes a report. Each school gets its own report (just really easy to do this way) that has the right background. Work out ONE report first that does what you want then make copies. Filter based on school. This will be sooo much easier than trying to get EXCEL to print like this.

weckar
2017-01-05, 06:00 AM
Hmmm... So how would you use these exactly? How do you know what slot the spell exists in? This is mostly an issue when metamagic comes into play, but still...

Crake
2017-01-05, 06:26 AM
Hmmm... So how would you use these exactly? How do you know what slot the spell exists in? This is mostly an issue when metamagic comes into play, but still...

I don't think the spell cards are necessarily for "using", but rather for quick reference. So regardless if you have 3 of the same spell prepared or something, you have the one card which you can use to read the rules text of that particular spell instead of having to dig through books or the SRD

The only thing I can add, I think, is that some spells may have egregiously long rules text, including tables and bullet points, which may make it practically impossible to fit in that small spell description box.

weckar
2017-01-05, 06:46 AM
Right, I thought the intent was basically to have a spell hand, the way stuff like powers have cards one could flip. My bad.

Crake
2017-01-05, 07:02 AM
Right, I thought the intent was basically to have a spell hand, the way stuff like powers have cards one could flip. My bad.

Well, it would still work for spontaneous casters, since they don't "discard" spells they use :smalltongue:

manyslayer
2017-01-05, 01:16 PM
While not as pretty as your cards, have you looked at the complete spell cards by The Other Game Company?
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/17733/Complete-Spell-Cards--Updated

One of the best investments I ever have done for 3.5. Also, it comes with a gaming group licenses meaning permission to share the files with up to 8 people (so your group can go in together to purchase it).

GreatDane
2017-01-05, 01:23 PM
First, this is a cool idea! I don't have much to contribute other than verbal support, but still. They look nice.

They are not my designs, please give credit to Icrangirl. Here is the post: http://icrangirl.deviantart.com/art/The-Arcane-Arts-269073886
Also came here to say this. I tried to get in touch with Icrangirl for a similar project a long time ago and had no luck, so I wound up just not using her seals. :smallfrown: Anyhow, credit should definitely go up in the main post or on the cards themselves.

Meierme176
2017-01-07, 04:36 AM
Ok update with great news on progress...

My friend has made huge leeway with this. We are actually creating a program that we will post on here for free allowing people to create their own cards. This program will allow you to populate a document and its fields with the appropriate information, design the card, place the fields where you would like, apply the font you would like and finally produce picture documents with a 3x3 setup like I posted earlier ready for print and cutting.

This card was populated with the program.

http://i67.tinypic.com/5d71nr.png

I purchased Hero lab (http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab) a while ago and weeded through its .dat files to find a document with a full description of the spells abilities. we are auto populating from that document. Unfortunately, I can’t find a document that has all the compendium spells in it. (I heard somewhere it was illegal or something)

I am also creating a player card. This would be a card that you can apply a picture of your character to and includes areas that would have all your saves and pertinent information. This card would be intended to be printed blank and laminated. You would use a dry erase (or sharpie (you can get it off by going over it with a dry erase first)) and fill in all your information then give it to the DM when you roll initiative. The DM would not need to ask for it, allowing for more immersion (he could roll for someone sneaking up on you without randomly asking you for a listen check). He could also use it as an initiative counter (I'll make blank monster cards for enemy place holders). Additionally, I’ll make buffing cards. When you receive a buff (mage armor or something) you place it next to your card and the DM can just add it to whatever it effects.

**note** This is not at all intended to replace the player sheet, that would be impractical.

My intent is to create a spell-book (spell-binder if you want to be technical). I will purchase a binder and a bunch of plastic card holders (3x3 sheets you store baseball cards in). In the front or in a handheld deck (haven't decided) I will have my daily prepared spells. As I cast I will discard that spell and move on. Behind my prepared spells section I will have a spells known section, and beyond that I will have all the rest of the spells I have yet to learn. As I learn them I move them to the previous section. I myself will have all sections labeled by level at which a wizard learns/ prepares them. If I go the rout of having the prepared spells in the binder I will probably color coat the spaces for possible daily spells. (like if I can cast 4 lvl 0's I will have 4 places that have green colored paper in them letting me know I can place a lvl 0 card there) if metamagic is applied you just put it in its new place.

The only thing I can add, I think, is that some spells may have egregiously long rules text, including tables and bullet points, which may make it practically impossible to fit in that small spell description box.

You are correct about it being a quick reference. We have come across the issue with the super long text and for those cards we place the summary in with a disclaimer to "see text for more." Meh, we can only do so much.

While not as pretty as your cards, have you looked at the complete spell cards by The Other Game Company?
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/17733/Complete-Spell-Cards--Updated

One of the best investments I ever have done for 3.5. Also, it comes with a gaming group licenses meaning permission to share the files with up to 8 people (so your group can go in together to purchase it).

Oh man!!! I asked around and looked for like 2 weeks for something like this!! Hence why I started making my own. Oh well, I like mine better. Plus, with this program I'll be able to add more if I wish, and they will all look the same.

First, this is a cool idea! I don't have much to contribute other than verbal support, but still. They look nice.

Also came here to say this. I tried to get in touch with Icrangirl for a similar project a long time ago and had no luck, so I wound up just not using her seals. :smallfrown: Anyhow, credit should definitely go up in the main post or on the cards themselves.

Thank you! A lot of work has gone into this project so far! As for credit I am 150% giving everyone who helped with this credit as best I can. As soon as I received that response I edited this post with her info. On the cards themselves I completely intend to add her name to either the post, and/or in the file folder the program is coming with. It’s a shame that she’s unresponsive, I hope she’s ok.

Thanks all for the encouragement, It should be done shortly. However, we are both full time students and lack an excess of time. If you have any suggestions or comments I would be stoked to read them!

Meierme176
2017-01-07, 10:19 PM
While we are on a roll, is there anything you guys would like to see incorporated?

kebusmaximus
2017-01-08, 12:29 AM
Hi!
Just want to say that I appreciate what you're doing.
My only feature request is the ability to make our own cards, for spells not in the srd or homebrew.

Meierme176
2017-01-08, 01:08 AM
Hi!
Just want to say that I appreciate what you're doing.
My only feature request is the ability to make our own cards, for spells not in the srd or homebrew.

Not a problem, I think its fun. That ability will actually be the main purpose of the program. It is just going to be pre programmed with SRD already. For any spells you want to add all you have to do is fill in the required slots in the table, select what cards you want to print and it will populate the card with your input.

Meierme176
2017-01-09, 04:17 PM
Another update: Icrangirl gave me the OK to use her crests! Now I shouldn't get in trouble when I post the program. Also she is now giving the OK to let anyone use them as long as she is credited.

Meierme176
2017-01-15, 07:30 PM

Ok so I came Up with a way to fit the longer spell descriptions. The cards would open up like an accordion.

http://i.imgur.com/dMCikrT.png
http://i.imgur.com/YMseZkl.png

I spelled fashion wrong..:smallsigh:

Jack_Simth
2017-01-15, 07:47 PM
<h1>Animate Dead</h1>
<h4><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#necromancy">Necromancy</a> [<a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#descriptor">Evil</a>]</h4>
<table class="statBlock" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#level">Level</a>:</th>
<td><a href="/srd/spellLists/clericSpells.htm#thirdLevelClericSpells">Clr 3</a>, <a href="/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#deathDomain">Death 3</a>, <a href="/srd/spellLists/sorcererWizardSpells.htm#fourthLevelSorcererWizard Spells">Sor/Wiz 4</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#components">Components</a>:</th>
<td>V, S, M</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#castingTime">Casting Time</a>:</th>
<td>1 <a href="/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#standardActions">standard action</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#range">Range</a>:</th>
<td>Touch</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#targetorTargets">Targets</a>:</th>
<td>One or more corpses touched</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration">Duration</a>:</th>
<td>Instantaneous</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow">Saving Throw</a>:</th>
<td>None</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th><a href="/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#spellResistance">Spell Resistance</a>:</th>
<td>No</td>
</tr>
</table>
<p>
This spell turns the bones or bodies of <a href="/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dead">dead</a> creatures into undead <a href="/srd/monsters/skeleton.htm">skeletons</a> or <a href="/srd/monsters/zombie.htm">zombies</a> that follow your spoken commands.
</p>
<p>
The undead can follow you, or they can remain in an area and attack any creature (or just a specific kind of creature) entering the place. They remain animated until they are destroyed. (A destroyed skeleton or zombie can’t be animated again.)
</p>
<p>
Regardless of the type of undead you create with this spell, you can’t create more HD of undead than twice your caster level with a single casting of animate dead. (The <a class="spell" href="/srd/spells/desecrate.htm">desecrate</a> spell doubles this limit)
</p>
<p>
The undead you create remain under your control indefinitely. No matter how many times you use this spell, however, you can control only 4 HD worth of <a href="/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType">undead</a> creatures per caster level. If you exceed this number, all the newly created creatures fall under your control, and any excess undead from previous castings become uncontrolled. (You choose which creatures are released.) If you are a <a href="/srd/classes/cleric.htm">cleric</a>, any undead you might command by virtue of your power to <a href="/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead">command or rebuke undead</a> do not count toward the limit.
</p>

<h6>Skeletons</h6>
<p>
A <a href="/srd/monsters/skeleton.htm">skeleton</a> can be created only from a mostly intact corpse or skeleton. The corpse must have bones. If a skeleton is made from a corpse, the flesh falls off the bones.
</p>

<h6>Zombies</h6>
<p>
A <a href="/srd/monsters/zombie.htm">zombie</a> can be created only from a mostly intact corpse. The corpse must be that of a creature with a true anatomy.
</p>

<h6>Material Component</h6>
<p>
You must place a black onyx gem worth at least 25 gp per Hit Die of the undead into the mouth or eye socket of each corpse you intend to animate. The magic of the spell turns these gems into worthless, burned-out shells.
</p>

<div class="footer">

Problem: Inheritance. Spells like Greater Shadow Conjouration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowConjurationGreater.htm) just say Functions like X except Y, and when they do, they skip almost everything they're not updating - so Greater Shadow Conjouration doesn't have casting time, components, range, effect, duration, saving throw, or Spell Resistance, as those are all inherited from Shadow Conjouration.

Maybe if you could arrange to snitch the data hiding behind the Spell Filter (http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20spellfilter/)?

Ah, that's easy, as it's at http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20spellfilter/spell_data.js

Telkar
2018-04-19, 08:21 AM
Hi !

Is this project still alive ? I'm interested on something like this, with editing for add custom spells or other sources (we have many books above SRD on our table :) )

Mordaedil
2018-04-20, 04:47 AM
I dunno about this project, but I am in development of a website that uses the old database that dndtools uses (I can never get the navigation to work there) to produce code that basically automatically makes roll20 friendly code for me.

I would be posting more about it, but right now I am just making new database just for magic items, since they never made a sufficient one.

There's also some issues with how they obtained the data, I assume from PDF's and how there's a lot of spaces in the middle of words at random.

I dunno if either of these things would be helpful to this particular project.

Telkar
2018-04-20, 05:33 AM
ha ? you have a DB extract of this tool ?

could be interesting, because i want to make a custom spell list/book/cards for my carac, but as there is so many spells, i want to filter a lot :
- remove some exotics sources,
- remove forbidden school (or make a separate list)
- have a known-only list
- mark or separate spells of specialized school.

i was using emma's character sheet a long time ago, especially the one that were dynamically generated on web site, but closed since years and never found the sources.
i try to print some old pdf i have, but even at low level it's really too much useless spells pages to print (i'm at 7 A4 pages for my 12 spells known currently :) )

If someone have other idea, i'm open too.
The low solution could be to make only a spreadsheet with a 2-3 line bloc for each spell.
But i like more the idea of making a deck with cards for daily available spells :)

Mordaedil
2018-04-20, 06:48 AM
ha ? you have a DB extract of this tool ?

could be interesting, because i want to make a custom spell list/book/cards for my carac, but as there is so many spells, i want to filter a lot :
- remove some exotics sources,
- remove forbidden school (or make a separate list)
- have a known-only list
- mark or separate spells of specialized school.

i was using emma's character sheet a long time ago, especially the one that were dynamically generated on web site, but closed since years and never found the sources.
i try to print some old pdf i have, but even at low level it's really too much useless spells pages to print (i'm at 7 A4 pages for my 12 spells known currently :) )

If someone have other idea, i'm open too.
The low solution could be to make only a spreadsheet with a 2-3 line bloc for each spell.
But i like more the idea of making a deck with cards for daily available spells :)

Shot you a PM.

Pippin
2018-04-20, 09:04 AM
The artworks are amazing, well done. The only thing that is troubling me is that some of them are printed with David stars several times. They look too religious / caballistic to me.