PDA

View Full Version : Variant "Cure X Wound" Spells

Guinaur
2007-07-18, 10:38 AM
I have always thought that the Cure X Wound spells were a bit silly if you think about it. At level 1, a cleric can completely heal a Wizard to max HP with one CLW spell. But at level 10, that same spell does very little. My friend then came up with an interesting way of handling the Cure X Wound spells:

Cure Minor Wounds:
1hp x targets level (HD for Monsters)

Cure Light Wounds:
Roll targets Hit Die (Eg: roll 1d12 for a barbarian or 1d4 for a wizard) times its level, divide by 4, plus the clerics level (max: +5 at lvl.5)
So = [(HD x lvl)/4] + cleric's lvl

Cure Moderate Wounds:
Roll targets Hit Die, times its level, divide by 3, plus the clerics level (max: +10 at lvl.10)
So = [(HD x lvl)/3] + cleric's lvl

Cure Serious Wounds:
Roll targets Hit Die, times its level, divide by 2, plus the clerics level (max: +15 at lvl.15)
So = [(HD x lvl)/2] + cleric's lvl

Cure Critical Wounds:
Roll targets Hit Die, times its level, divide by 1, plus the clerics level (max: +20 at lvl.20)
So = (HD x lvl) + cleric's lvl

For hurting undead, the spells do damage as normal and the Inflict spells heal undead like said above and harm living like normal.

This variant causes the cure light wound spells to be usefull at higher levels. To balance out a party with a cleric, I would give enemy groups at least one healer, and single enemies some healing equipment.

But anyways... what do you all think?

DracoDei
2007-07-18, 10:45 AM
I think that the idea is that the highest level spell the cleric can cast is going to be approximately equally effective across character levels. Lower level spells are SUPPOSED to become semi-obsolete at higher levels.

nerulean
2007-07-18, 10:46 AM
Um. CLW is supposed to become useless at higher levels, just like the majority of low level spells. That's why the cleric gets better ones later.

Edit: ninja'd.

Alfryd
2007-07-18, 11:16 AM
Perhaps you could limit the total levels or hit dice affected?

Yakk
2007-07-18, 11:51 AM
The math is overly complex.

How about using:
Cleric Level + Target Fort. Save
as the base? (this takes into account that a high-level cleric should be able to easily heal a low-level target, while a high-level target shouldn't be easily healed by a low-level cleric).

Base /2 = Minor
Base = Light
Base*2 = Moderate
Base*3 = Serious
Base*4 = Critical