PDA

View Full Version : How to work a positive / negative curse into a game?

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-01-04, 06:44 PM
Another thread got me thinking.

One of my favorite fiction series is the Casca series started by Barry Sadler. Yes, the Green Beret who sung the Green Beret song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casca_(series)

In it Casca is a skilled yet somewhat average Roman soldier who gets cursed, with immortality, yes cursed. The line goes something like "soldier you are content with what you are so you shall remain until we meet again".

He is essentially an adventurer. Not aging keeps him from staying in one place too long. Recovering from too many wounds creates its own problems with people fearing him or treating him as people treat witches.

Casca's version of immortality allows him to suffer and die, with dying essentially being passing out and waking up suffering as his body heals. The man is naturally terrified of things like submarine service. There is even a group of religious zealots who want to hold him captive or the like until the 2nd coming.

These books are informative, scary, crude and sometimes hilarious but I am clueless how to incorporate something like this into a D&D setting in a fun way.

Newtonsolo313
2017-01-04, 07:08 PM
Easy its would just be a necromancy contingency with a one hour delay

if you want to include neutral curses give them benefits and drawbacks its not that difficult

Mith
2017-01-04, 07:15 PM
Could be interesting to use as a campaign idea with gritty realism rules emphasising how long it takes to heal.