PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Alternative Archer-type Character Concept (Help Wanted)

Simplexity
2017-01-04, 06:51 PM
Introduction
Hi all, I was brainstorming some character concepts (5th level), and I found one that seemed interesting, but I wasn't quite sure how to finish it.

The concept is that the character's roll is a back-line ranged attacker, but instead of using a traditional bow/crossbow, they use the Eldritch Blast cantrip.

I feel like this would be somewhat viable because even without a martial class, you will still be getting 2d10 damage at by level 5, which is more than two attacks with a bow; and with a Warlock dip, you could add your Cha modifier to make it a total of 2d10+8 damage, which is pretty high.

To get the most out of this, I was thinking of taking at least 2 levels of Warlock for the Agonizing Blast invocation (+Cha to damage for Eldritch Blast). Your second invocation could be either Eldritch Spear invocation (Makes Eldritch Blast 300 range) or Repelling Blast (Knocks target 10ft back). I would take Repelling Blast, since ideally you would take the Spell Sniper feat which makes Eldritch Spear kind of redundant; plus Repelling Blast gives you some utility that a normal archer would lack.

As for a Patron, any of them could really work, it just depends how you want to RP it

Past this, I'm not sure what I would do. I'm looking to help the archer archetype more than being a spellcaster, so just 2 levels of Warlock is all you technically need. I've never played an archer before (or even seen a dedicated archer), so I'm not quite sure what would be useful.

What I'm looking for
Basically I'm looking to build a character whose gameplay and RPing would feel very very similar to that of a typical archer character (with some obvious ties to magic), with the idea being instead of firing arrows for consistent damage, I fire Eldritch Blasts (to keep the feel consistent). What I'm NOT looking for is a just a regular long-range mage (with lots of fireballs and AoE and such).

My Brainstorming

+1 Level Warlock, +2 multiclass in undecided other
With this extra level, all you really get is a pact boon.
Pact of the Chains: The magic resistance of imp/quasit are nice, as well as the scouting capabilities of many of the other familiars
Pact of the Blade: Pretty much useless (since I really only want to use Eldritch Blasts as my damage), however it could be useful for when you get stuck in melee combat
Pact of the Tome: Ritual casting is nice, and so is bonus cantrips. That's about it

Levels in Ranger
RP archetype of a hunter-archer

From a thematic/RP standpoint, a Ranger/Warlock would seem cool. Maybe your patron uses you as a pawn to eradicate a certain race, or maybe your goal is to find your patron and get your soul back. However, from a gameplay perspective, I'm not sure how much you would get from this class. Most of your benefits are activated by attack actions, so you really only get the flavor of ranger without using many of its benefits. Even so, it could be fun to have a Warlock familiar and a Ranger familiar once you hit 6, if your DM would allow it (I don't think it's normally allowed)
Benefits from this also include the armor and shield proficiencies, making it harder to kill us when things get close.

Looking into it, the Revised Ranger runs into the same problems as the standard ranger, but works a bit better. However, the Unearthed Ranger seems to work well with it's built in utility with the Spirit Paths and its 2d12 hit die; unfortunately, it only has 5 levels published, meaning it would be just lead to more forced multiclassing.

----------------------------

Levels in Rogue
RP archetype of an assassin-like archer

While reading up on archers, it seemed pretty conclusive that Rogues make the best archers due to their sneak attack (not an expert, I may be wrong, but this is the consistence of what I've read, and not my own experience with archers which is 0). However, the run into a similar problem to the ranger; sneak attack only applies to finesse and ranged weapons. However, cunning action to double your distance ran could come in handy sometimes, and Expertise is always nice.
The Roguish Archetypes don't grant much of what we're looking for, however they do direct our character in more of a military tactical sniper direction, rather than just a typical archer; Thief seems pretty useless to us, Assassin doesn't grant much of what we are looking for (but does flush the character out more), and same with Arcane Trickster (Ranged sleight of hand checks seems cool, but is way more rogue-like than archer-like).

----------------------------

Levels in Sorcerer
RP archetype of dealing tons of damage unique other

I originally wasn't too fond of this idea, because the RP doesn't seem nearly as interesting to me, but from a pure gameplay perspective this seems to be the best option. Since we won't be using our spell slots, we can blow them all to Twin our Eldrich Blasts. We could also use Quicken Spell the same turn (I believe you can do that because at this point there is your spell on your regular action being twinned and a 'different' spell that is now your bonus action), bringing our total damage to 3d10+12 in a single round at just level 5.
If you eventually dip into Rogue, the Subtle Spell metamagic may also be useful to you.

Sublcass Options:
Wild Magic: Free advantage is nice. But it's only once a day. On the bright side, since Eldritch Blast is only a Cantrip, you can avoid Wild Magic Surge (if you just want to play straight-forward).
RP-wise, you could have have a Fey patron who is also in touch with wild magic, and maybe they have something against non-feys (or something)

Draconic Heratige: AC and DR are nice, especially with your low HP pool
RP-wise, you could have an ancient dragon as a GOO patron (or ask your DM for some fenagiling), and you could be eliminating what stands in your patron dragon's ways (like other dragons). Plus eventual flight means you could be a flying barrage of blasts..

Favored Soul: Ability to wear armor and shields is a huge plus, and just what you want with the low HP pool; and once again, eventual flight means you could be a flying barrage of blasts.
RP-wise, your goal could be to take down undead/the foes of your diety.

Storm Sorcerer: If you need to get out of a sticky situation, at least you can do it while dealing damage.
RP-wise, you could be a pirate. Arrrrrg

Shadow Sorcerer: Have a chance to live when reduced to 0 HP? This one is definitely outclassed by the others. Hopefully, not much will be able to get near you anyways.

Feats to Consider:
Actor: Add to your Cha so you deal more damage... that's about it.
Lucky: Advantage is always nice
Magic Initiate: Free cantrips are cool, and if you go Sorcerer it gives you one more spell slot to convert to metamagic
Shield Master: If someone is too close (and you pick of a class who is proficient in shields), it gives you some more leeway
Spell Sniper: Longer range Eldritch Blasts? Ignore half and three-quarters cover? It's a must-have!
War Caster: If you go anything but Sorcerer (barring Favored Soul), and are afraid of close encounters, it's a useful feat

Conclusion
These are my thoughts on it, but I'd really like to know how you guys would build/play it: First starting at level 5, and then how you would choose to advance it throughout the game. Again, I'm looking for an archer-type character (for RPing) more than a high-range mage, so in my mind that rules out the Wizard. If you think other classes not listed above would be worth multiclassing into, or a way to RP a wizard as a archer-type, feel free to share it!

Once again, I am not an expert at archers in D&D, and these are just my initial thoughts on it. If I think something is good when it's not, or overlook something, please don't be a jerk about it, but still let me know where I got it wrong :)

My House Rules
Anything WotC goes, so anything from any book as well as all of the Unearthed Arcana are game-legal

Addaran
2017-01-04, 10:04 PM
For patron, i'd suggest Fey, since it works very well with the ranger feel. For your "pact", it could be that some fey lured you into a mystical forest for a party/short romance. When you wake up the day after, it's actually been a few years and you have your new magical gift.

For eldritch blast, i've heard of another poster who fluff it as shooting force arrows from a magical bow he summons. That would feel even more ranger/archer.

Like you noticed, synergy is a bit hard, since you mostly want eldritch blast but no caster.

I'd probably go with Revised beastmaster ranger. Focus your ranger spell on boosting your companion and using it to tank or do damage. That would go in the direction you want RP-wise.

If you go that route, you could go 3rd lvl in warlock to get another pet. Pseudodragon or the sprite for even more archery.

Another possibility would be rogue for expertise, cunning action and uncanny dodge or monk for the various defensive abilities. Either way, you lose some of the offensive capabilities of the new class, but they offer nice protection, wich is what your character is missing.

Naanomi
2017-01-04, 10:13 PM
I played a:

Sorcerer 1/Warlock 5/Sorcerer +3/Fighter 2/Rogue 3/Sorcerer +6

Variant human (spell sniper), 8/14/16/8/10/16
Wild Sorcerer, Fiend/Chain, Assassin

Breastplate plus defensive combat style...

Spell sniper, eldritch spear, distant metamagic... autocrits from surprise, action surge, quicken spell... 12 hefty blasts from a huge distance away, eldritch sniping!

bid
2017-01-04, 11:51 PM
What I'm looking for
Basically I'm looking to build a character whose gameplay and RPing would feel very very similar to that of a typical archer character (with some obvious ties to magic), with the idea being instead of firing arrows for consistent damage, I fire Eldritch Blasts (to keep the feel consistent). What I'm NOT looking for is a just a regular long-range mage (with lots of fireballs and AoE and such).
This would still work as a pure blastlock, no need to MC into something else. There are invocations that might further your RP plans.

I think half-elf 8 14 16 10 12 16 works great. Did you have other race ideas?

Dips:
Fighter 1 for medium armor, shield, defensive style (AC18-20 overall) and Con save. It also gives you a martial look. You could hold a bow in your main hand and go through the motion with your offhand to cast your EB.
RP-wise, you could be a failure as a fighter until a patron gave you a magic bow (aka EB).

Rogue 2 for CA and expertise in stealth, to fake being a ranger. (and open up grappling)

Ranger 2 is another martial choice, but you'd have to reduce Con14 to get Wis14. It's an alternate way to get high AC if you prefer natural explorer.

Cleric has the same caveat as ranger, maybe nature or trickery would fit the bill.

Favored soul sorcerer 1 for medium armor and shield.

I don't see any other useful dip.

MrStabby
2017-01-05, 05:09 AM
Rogue 2 is worth having, but probably not much more unless you want to pull out daggers to defend yourself in melee.

The UA samurai might work for you for 3 levels for action surge and advantage on attacks. Probably worth 4 levels for the ASI.

That would get you to level 8. Beyond that I might be tempted to go bard. Bard doesn't add much to the archer side but as it's abilities are generally support abilities it doesn't conflict with it either. It lets you use your hex etc. more often, gives you more skills and more out of combat options.

Sir cryosin
2017-01-05, 08:18 AM
First Eldridge spear stacks with spellsniper giving range of 600 same a longbow long range. For class I think a Thief rogue for the fast hands. oh and rogue assassin's auto-crit is nice when pulled off. Rogues have all kind of abilitys that are nice and still work with out SA. You get adding a few expertise, if you have an uncanny Dodge, evasion, cunning action, stroke of luck.