PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Clerical Apocrypha [PEACH]

ShiningStarling
2017-01-04, 07:48 PM
Not all who wield divine magic have the favor of the Gods. Some draw their power straight from the divine Weave without the Gods' knowledge. These persons can take many forms, from priests devoted to dead gods, to archivists that collate divine rituals from all sources, and even those who tap into a God's magical font without devotion.

The following are archetypes for the Cleric.

The first of these archetypes is my own take on a concept I read a couple weeks ago on the forums here, regarding priests of dead gods. The two following are my own take on ports of two of my favorite divine classes from 3.5 to Pathfinder. I hope you like them, and criticism and suggestions would be most welcome.

Lost Priest
Some Clerics find their place not among the churches and parishes of the common pantheons, but rather follow the teachings of a God that has no influence over the world. This God may or may not even be or have ever been real. While these Priests usually follow dead or nearly forgotten gods, all that matters is the devotion of their worship.

Channel Energy: Lost Priests always choose the kind of energy they channel as appropriate for the object of their worship, regardless of their alignment. This ability is also affected by Ebb and Flow (see below).
Domains: As the Base Cleric, except that the player chooses 2 domains appropriate to the object of their worship, and they gain no domain spell slots.
Spontaneous Casting: Rather than curing or inflicting spells, Lost Priests spontaneously cast the spells on their Domain lists. This ability is also affected by Ebb and Flow (see below).
Ebb and Flow: Normal clerics have a constant, consistent source for their power. Lost Priests, on the other hand, are using a more malleable part of the Weave, and have no divine medium apportioning their power. Whenever a Lost Priest uses the Channel Energy Ability, they either lose a point of Flow if they have any, or gain a point of Ebb, up to a maximum Ebb equal to half their level rounded up. Whenever a Lost Priest casts a Domain spell, they either lose a point of Ebb if they have any, or gain a point of Flow.
When a Lost Priest has Ebb, their Channel Energy does a d6 less than normal per point (minimum 1 point of damage/healing), and any DCs as part of additional effect on Channel Energy are lowered by 1 per point of Ebb. However, having 1 Ebb allows the Lost Priest to cast domain spells with any Metamagic feats they know without using a higher level slot, so long as the spell is not modified more than 1 level per 2 points of Ebb by the feat(s). (Example, with 3 points of Ebb, one could Extend and Empower a domain spell, or Maximize a domain spell, but could not quicken it, or Maximise and extend it)
When a priest has Flow, their Channel Energy does a d6 more than normal per point, and DCs for any additional effects go up by 1, but domain spells must be cast with a slot one level higher per 2 points of Flow, without the benefits to DC (minimum 1).

Archivist
Some practitioners of divine magic do not get their power via worship of the Gods, but rather through tried and tested incantations and rites. Such persons may not have the automatic use of such a large spell pool as a base Cleric, but they have the potential for unmatched versatility.

Skills: Archivists add all Knowledge skills to class skill list
Proficiencies: Archivists do not gain Proficiency in Medium Armor
Spells: Rather than using the Cleric spell list directly, an Archivist keeps her spells in a spellbook, like a Wizard. They choose spells at 1st level and on level up exactly as a Wizard, save that the spells they chose at 1st level and automatically thereafter come from the Cleric list rather than the Wizard list. An Archivist treats all divine spells as being on her class list for the purpose of item use and transcribing spells into her spellbook, including spells from other divine classes and spells that are only divine due to a Domain. Bonus Spell slots are gained through Intelligence.
Domains: Archivists do not gain this feature, or its associated spell slots, though they can add spells from domain lists to their spellbook should they find a copy to transcribe into their spellbook.
Naturalist: gains this Alternate class feature of Bards, but without requiring the use of Bardic performance. This replaces the Channel Energy feature.

Malconvoker
Some who use divine magic will draw their power from sources they do not hold reverence for. In fact, they usually choose a source opposed to their own goals, so as to use the enemy’s own tools against them.

Skills: Add Bluff to the list of class skills
Aura: Their Auras send mixed signals, and give negative readings to all alignment detection.
Spells: Malconvokers have no alignment restriction on their spells, and do not suffer any chance of alignment shifting as a result of their casting of spells of opposed alignments, so long as the spells are summoning creatures. They may not spontaneously convert any of their spells. Bonus spell slots are gained from Charisma.
Channel Energy: A Malconvoker may choose with each use whether to channel positive or negative energy, but gains additional d6s at a lower rate, gaining a die at 4th level and every 3 levels thereafter.
Domains: Malconvokers gain the granted powers of 2 domains, but may not use the domain spell slots to prepare spells from their lists. Instead, the domain spell slot is devoted to the following spells in their appropriate levels, chosen at time of casting: Summon Monster I-IX, (Lesser, Greater) Planar Binding, (Lesser, Greater) Planar Ally. They may always choose the type of creature to summon, even if it is opposition to their alignment.
Deceptive Summons: When using any of the summoning spells listed above, if the Malconvoker is casting them with an alignment descriptor opposed to her own, she may make a Bluff check, opposed by the summoned creature(s) Sense Motives. If successful, The spell goes off and gains additional benefits, listed below. If the check fails by less than 5, the spell goes off normally, with no additional bonuses. If the check fails by more than 5, a negative effect occurs, listed below.

If the spell is Summon Monster, the summons have 2 more HP per HD and a +1 on all rolls.
Failure by 5 or more causes the creature(s) to break from your control, either turning hostile or fleeing, at DM's discretion, though they may still be dismissed or dispelled as normal.
If the Spell is Planar Ally, then the creature will consider your goals aligned with their ethos, and will halve your payment. If you beat the sense motive by 10 or more, the payment is instead waived
Failure by 5 or more makes the creature doubtful, and request a larger than normal payment, or even for the Malconvoker to do them a favor in return, usually big.
If the spell is Planar Binding, the creature gets a -5 penalty on Charisma checks to escape.
Failure by 5 or more gives the creature an extra Will save.

Legion Summons: Starting at 6th level, when using Summon Monster to summon creatures of an opposed alignment, you summon an additional creature of the same type.
Safe Summoning: Starting at 9th level, you may dismiss Summon Monster spells as an Immediate action, rather than a standard
Improved Calling: Starting at 12th level, the HD limit for all Planar Binding and Planar Ally spells increases by 2.
Greater Summons: Starting at 15th level, when casting Summon Monster, you may treat the spell as if it were the next iteration of the spell if you intend to summon deceptively (for example, an evil Malconvoker could use Summon Monster VIII to summon a Trumpet Archon.) For Summon Monster IX, you may instead double the normal bonus from Deceptive Summons.

Kaskus
2017-01-05, 12:18 AM
Lost Priest: Ebb and Flow is a cool idea but i have a questions about how it scales. Flow's penalty/bonus both scale based on the amount of Flow (Channel Energy +d6 per point of flow / Domain Spells count as +1 level / 2 points of flow). Ebb however has a per point scaling penalty (-d6 to channel per point) but the benefit scales relative to the maximum ebb (1 ebb | 1/2 max ebb | max ebb). This means that a level 12 Lost Priest needs 6 points of Ebb (1/2 level = max Ebb) to get free any level metamagic while a level 20 Lost Priest would need 10 to get the same benefit. Did I get that right?

Archivist: I am somewhat ashamed to say I was not already familiar with the Archivist but I really like the concept.

Malconvoker: I feel like they should be able to choose how their alignment aura reads so they can be double agents / moles. If a faith knows there are evil "frauds" in their midst, they will learn to look for null auras pretty fast. For Deceptive Summons, I wonder if you should make a note about the disposition of a creature summoned with Summon Monster who has broker free due to a failed Bluff? Perhaps they should automatically be hostile towards the malconvoker and try to attack them if given the chance?

Overall I think good job. I am always a fan of more cleric stuff :) In my world, gods have no alignment but various factions of their worshipers do so you can have good and evil worshipers of the same dieties. These ideas fit in with that idea really well.

ShiningStarling
2017-01-05, 04:03 AM
Lost Priest: Ebb and Flow is a cool idea but i have a questions about how it scales. Flow's penalty/bonus both scale based on the amount of Flow (Channel Energy +d6 per point of flow / Domain Spells count as +1 level / 2 points of flow). Ebb however has a per point scaling penalty (-d6 to channel per point) but the benefit scales relative to the maximum ebb (1 ebb | 1/2 max ebb | max ebb). This means that a level 12 Lost Priest needs 6 points of Ebb (1/2 level = max Ebb) to get free any level metamagic while a level 20 Lost Priest would need 10 to get the same benefit. Did I get that right?
That is what is intended, yes... the level of metamagic was the thing i was least sure about... actually, think I just got an idea about that, will update OP

Archivist: I am somewhat ashamed to say I was not already familiar with the Archivist but I really like the concept.
Quality class, personally my favorite 3.5 class (Heroes of Horror, if you're interested) simply because it requires a tiny bit more creativity and book work than a Wizard

Malconvoker: I feel like they should be able to choose how their alignment aura reads so they can be double agents / moles. If a faith knows there are evil "frauds" in their midst, they will learn to look for null auras pretty fast. For Deceptive Summons, I wonder if you should make a note about the disposition of a creature summoned with Summon Monster who has broker free due to a failed Bluff? Perhaps they should automatically be hostile towards the malconvoker and try to attack them if given the chance?
That should have been in there, will update OP. On alignment, well, good people use detect evil, evil people use detect good, so giving a negative result is a win for the Malconvoker, but I don't want it to be "Edgelord69's summoner class, summon evil stuff but I'm still the good hero btu all the bad guyyyys luv meh 2", so a bit of counterplay I thought was fair, if you use the wrong detect you may notice something's up, if you don't simply guess neutrality.

Overall I think good job. I am always a fan of more cleric stuff :) In my world, gods have no alignment but various factions of their worshipers do so you can have good and evil worshipers of the same dieties. These ideas fit in with that idea really well.Thanks! I hope you find a flavorful niche for these in your world :D

EDIT: OP updated, summons that break free are hostile or flee, at DM discretion; Ebb now allows metamagic up to half Ebb value for free.