PDA

View Full Version : Who was scrying on the party in 698?

Titanium Dragon
2017-01-04, 11:27 PM
For reference:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/ubO6mz8AYsFBFhX0VUa.gif

We know that it couldn't have been any of the illusionists (they were all dead at that point), so who exactly was scrying at a random point in the middle of the desert?

The only possibility I can think about is Serini, and I had assumed she was dead (and not capable of casting magic anyway, given her class).

So who did it?

Kish
2017-01-04, 11:42 PM
It was Zz'dtri.

Gift Jeraff
2017-01-05, 12:06 AM
See below.

Rinazina
2017-01-05, 07:30 AM
So who did it?

Are you referring to the first panel, second page? In such case, is OOTS scrying over themselves, and probably Eugene Greenhilt is meta-scrying the party scrying on themselves. I just hope nobody ever will breaks this loop

Peelee
2017-01-05, 08:41 AM
Are you referring to the first panel, second page? In such case, is OOTS scrying over themselves, and probably Eugene Greenhilt is meta-scrying the party scrying on themselves. I just hope nobody ever will breaks this loop

That's a map.

littlebum2002
2017-01-05, 08:51 AM
See below.

Came for this comment, wasn't disappointed.

Rinazina
2017-01-05, 09:31 AM
That's a map.

yes :smallcool: I don't discriminate against analogue scrying. Satellites? Magic? Dreamwalking? we have an entire world build upon physic, geography and multiracial politics. The good old fashion map scrying will not die soon, not on my watch!

Peelee
2017-01-05, 09:36 AM
yes :smallcool: I don't discriminate against analogue scrying.

I approve of this. :smallbiggrin:

littlebum2002
2017-01-05, 10:43 AM
yes :smallcool: I don't discriminate against analogue scrying. Satellites? Magic? Dreamwalking? we have an entire world build upon physic, geography and multiracial politics. The good old fashion map scrying will not die soon, not on my watch!

Map's don't count as scrying unless they have a "you are here" sticker on them.

TheNecrocomicon
2017-01-05, 11:27 AM
Map's don't count as scrying unless they have a "you are here" sticker on them.

Or unless it's the Marauder's Map. Animated real-time "you are here" stickers for everyone!

Draconi Redfir
2017-01-05, 11:34 AM

to be honest i was wondering why he still had that signiture after all this time.

today i found out why.

Kareasint
2017-01-05, 01:13 PM
See below.

Neither was I.

References:
Nale mentions the divination indirectly in panel 5. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0801.html)

2nd panel names Zz'dtri as the source. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0821.html)

Gift Jeraff's Sig has a link to Word of Giant.

NerdyKris
2017-01-05, 01:53 PM
The second panel in 821 isn't referencing scrying on the Order, he was using divination to find the gates by searching for Orrin, but couldn't because of the protections surrounding the Windy Canyon. So they ruled out every other part of the desert until they knew where he was.

Tetrimino
2017-01-05, 05:18 PM
to be honest i was wondering why he still had that signiture after all this time.

today i found out why.

He must have been so happy to see this thread.

137beth
2017-01-06, 01:05 AM

Yep, me too:smallsmile:

IIRC, before BRitF came out, the Giant said something about adding a bonus strip in which it is explicitly revealed that it was Z scrying. I don't have BRitF yet...did that make it in?

Kish
2017-01-06, 01:11 AM
Mostly yes?

There's a strip where, while the Order are in the pyramid, Zz'dtri tries to scry on them, and can't see anything because the pyramid is warded against divinations. It shows the scrying eye, and that he's choosing to name Mr. Scruffy as the target of the scry because he expects Mr. Scruffy to have the lowest Will save in the Order. But the reader still has to make the final "that's the same scrying eye that looked at Mr. Scruffy when the Order was leaving the coordinates Girard gave Soon" connection.

denthor
2017-01-06, 11:18 AM
In the bonus comics you see Nale talking to his wizardscry on the cat it is easier.

Do Mr . SCRUFFY is really what is being seem

Bongos
2017-01-06, 12:31 PM
Did someone already say Zz'dtri?

It was Zz'dtri.

Zz'dtri was the scryer.

Zz'dtri.

137beth
2017-01-07, 06:54 PM
Mostly yes?

There's a strip where, while the Order are in the pyramid, Zz'dtri tries to scry on them, and can't see anything because the pyramid is warded against divinations. It shows the scrying eye, and that he's choosing to name Mr. Scruffy as the target of the scry because he expects Mr. Scruffy to have the lowest Will save in the Order. But the reader still has to make the final "that's the same scrying eye that looked at Mr. Scruffy when the Order was leaving the coordinates Girard gave Soon" connection.

Thanks. If I had to guess I'd say that's probably enough for most readers, but I don't really know.