PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Black Powder Archetypes: Three Gun Slinging Archetypes for 5th Edition (PEACH)

ChellGame
2017-01-05, 01:38 AM
Hey Folks,
Heres my second go at homebrewing some Archetypes for D&D 5th. Edition.

I'm currently working on a on a setting that includes early flintlock style fire arms, and wanted to add some classes/archetypes to focus on the use of black powder weapons to the setting. However I found that I wasn't to fond of most of the firearm using class/archetype homebrew I found online. Most of which seemed to be trying to import the Gunslinger into 5th Edition. (Not that that's a bad thing mind you. Just not really the flavor I was looking for.) So I decided to try to go at it from a different direction and try build a archetype for each of the more martial focused core classes, the Fighter, the Rogue and the Ranger. Anyways just wanted to see what you all think and get some feedback. I'm not sure any of the ideas really "work" as I haven't had the chance to play test any of them yet, but hopefully you'll find some fun in them.

The Fusilier: Fighter Archetype
Fluff Goal: Gun Knight
Play Style Goal: Constantly wading in and out of the midst of combat the Fusilier attempts to control the flow of enemy movement with the use of their Stopping Shot and eventually Flooring shot class feature. Despite using a ranged weapon the Fusilier prefers to keep his enemies in close reach (10-20 feet).

Fighter Archetype: The Fusilier.

Firearms Training:
Starting at 3rd level, you become proficient with the use of pistols and muskets, and you ignore the loading quality when using either of these weapons.

Stopping Shot:
Starting at 3rd level, When an enemy moves within 10 feet of you, you may use your reaction to make an attack against them with a gunpowder weapon you are wielding. If the attack hits then the creature speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn. You have three uses of this feature, you regain all expended uses of this feature after a short or long rest.

Front-load:
Starting at 7th level, when using the attack action to make an attack with a gunpowder weapon, you may choose to forgo any number of additional attacks you get from the Extra Attack feature. For each attack you forgo you may add two additional weapon dice to the damage roll.

Close-Quarters Shooting
At 10th level, you learn to handle yourself in close combat. Making a ranged attack roll while within 5 feet of an enemy doesn’t impose disadvantage on your roll. In addition, if you hit a creature within 5 feet of you with a ranged attack on your turn, that creature can’t take reactions until the end of this turn

Flooring Shot:
At 15th level when you use your Front-load class feature and forgo all possible additional attack attacks for a single shot, enemies struck by your attack are knocked prone, they must also make Constitution save at DC of (8+your proficiency modifier+your dexterity modifier), or become stunned till then of their next turn. You may use this class feature twice. You regain all expended uses of this feature after a long rest.

The Whites of Their Eyes:
Starting at 18th Level, when you make a ranged attack against an enemy within 10 feet, you gain advantage on the attack.

The Desperado: Roguish Archetype
Fluff Goal: Outlaw Gunslinger and Trickshooter
Play Style Goal: Deal consistent damage with Sneak Attack while using their Trick Shot class feature to remain evasive (witch shots like Muffle Shot and Smoke Screen) and cripple the enemies ability to be effective in combat (With shots like Crippling Shot and Finger Breaker). (Most of this archetypes mechanical ideas are blatantly stolen from other archetypes: Primarily UA Arcane Archer, Assassin, and oddly enough the UA Samurai :smallconfused:)

Roguish Archetype: The Desperado

Gun Savvy:
Starting at 3rd level you become proficient with the use of pistols.

Trick Shot:
Starting at 3rd level you learn to deliver your attacks with pinpoint accuracy. Whenever you would attack an enemy and can apply sneak attack you, may also apply a Trick Shot (See Trick Shot section below) to the attack. You have two uses of this feature and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a short or long rest.
When you first gain this feature you learn two Trick Shot options of your choice.
You gain an addition Trick Shot option of your choice at 7th, 10th,15th and 18th level

Quick Draw:
At 9th Level, you gain advantage on all initiative checks. You on the first turn of combat have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn’t taken a turn in the combat yet. If you act before all enemies present, you gain one use of Trick Shot which must be used on your first turn of combat or it is lost.

Steady Aim:
Starting at 13th level your aim has become even more reliable. One minute after expending your last remaining use of Trick Shot you regain one use of it.

Parting Shot:
At 17th Level when an attack would reduce you to 0 hit points, you can use your reaction to delay that damage, and immediately make a single attack against the attacker with advantage. This attack applies your sneak attack damage even if you have already made a sneak attack this turn. It you have a use of Trick Shot available it is possible to reduce the damage you would take, for example with disarming or crippling shot, however of you fail to prevent the damage, you still take damage from the original attack even if your attack kills your assailant .
Once you use this feature you can use it again until you finish a long rest.

Trick Shots
Disarming Shot: When you strike an enemy with this attack choose one object that the target is holding. The target drops the object, which lands at their feet.
Crippling Shot: This strike cripples the targets attacking limb, piercing, bludgeoning and slashing damage dealt by the creature is halved until the end of your next turn.
Gut Shot: Your well placed shot staggers the target, its movement speed becomes 0 until the end of its next turn
Muffled Shot: This shot can only be used while hidden, after the attack you may immediately make a free hide check without the use of an action.
Smoke Screen: A cloud of smoke explodes from your weapon as you attack. The surrounding 30 feet around you is heavily obscured by the smoke. The smoke lasts until the end of your next turn.
Finger Breaker: Your shot heavily damages the hands of your target, stopping them from casting spells with Somatic components until the end of their next turn.
Pistol Whip: This Trick Shot can only be used while within 5 feet of you, while using this attack you strike with the back of your weapon and suffer no disadvantage for attacking in melee. If the attack hits the target can not use reactions until the end of its next turn.

The Stranger: Ranger Conclave (This Archetype is built using the UA Ranger, Revisited variant)
Fluff Goal: Somewhere between the Man with No Name and fantasy Davy Crockett
Play Style Goal Unlike the Fusilier who needs to be up close and personal to control the battlefield, The Stranger wants to attack his enemies from afar to get most out of his abilities. Harassing enemies from afar with the Marksman class feature, and using feature like Fleet of Foot, Vanish and Grizzled Survivor to escape dangerous situations.

Ranger Conclave: The Stranger

Firearms Training:
Starting at 3rd level, you become proficient with the use of pistols and muskets, and you ignore the loading quality when using either of these weapons.

Marksmanship:
Starting at 3rd level you no longer have disadvantage when attacking targets at long range. Additionally when you attack targets who are further than 30 feet away, your attacks do an additional 1d8 damage. You can only gain this bonus damage once a turn. This damage improves to 2d8 at level 11

Extra Attack:
Starting at 5th level you can take the attack action twice instead of once, whenever you take the attack action on your turn.

Grizzled Survivor:
Starting at 7th level, after you are attacked by an enemy, you may use your reaction to make a Dash action at the end of then enemies turn. If you took damage from the attack you can make this movement without provoking attacks of opportunity.

Showdown:
Starting at 11th level. You may use your action to make a single ranged attack against a number of targets you can see equal to half your ranger level (rounded down). Each attack roll is made separately, and each target greater than 30 feet away takes an additional 2d8 bonus damage (This damage does not stack with the damage from Marksmanship).
You have a single use of this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

The Man with No Name:
Starting at 15th level, you add the Disguise Self spell to your spell list. Additionally any form of divination magic that directly targets you automatically fails.

Saint Jimmy
2017-01-08, 08:55 AM
I'm definitely no homebrew expert, but it looks good to me. However, I think the Front Load power is a little imbalanced. I get that it is supposed to be an improvement, but doubling the character's damage output for the turn seems more then a little OP. Maybe you could make it useable only a certain tike per rest?

Overall it seems really good, and I'm probably gonna use some of the options in my campaign.

Calen
2017-01-08, 09:09 AM
Overall nice, something I would like to play.

Fighter: The Whites of their Eyes: That should read ranged attack.

ChellGame
2017-01-08, 02:00 PM
I'm definitely no homebrew expert, but it looks good to me. However, I think the Front Load power is a little imbalanced. I get that it is supposed to be an improvement, but doubling the character's damage output for the turn seems more then a little OP. Maybe you could make it useable only a certain tike per rest?

Overall it seems really good, and I'm probably gonna use some of the options in my campaign.

When you use from load you only get the damage from your attribute bonus to damage once, which is why it adds two dice for each attack instead of one. The second weapon die is to make up for loss of the +Attribute damage. Also, Characters that use the sharpshooter can only trigger the bonus damage from sharpshooters once per attack, making using Front Load probably a damage decrease over all for characters who take the feat, and maybe slightly stronger for characters without.

Hopefully overall it will balance out, but ill need to play test it more to make sure.

Overall nice, something I would like to play.

Fighter: The Whites of their Eyes: That should read ranged attack.

Thanks, and good catch. I don't want it to be giving advantage in melee after all.

Saint Jimmy
2017-01-08, 02:29 PM
Assuming you are using a musket, the two extra damage dice should average out to a total of 12 damage per extra attack given up. Assuming that the musket is still being used and the attacker has an 18 dex, (pretty reasonable by level seven I think) that would average out to ten damage per attack, for an increase of two damage per attack.
Ok, yeah I see where you are coming from now. The funny thing is that noe I'm wondering if it's a little underpowered now.:smalltongue:

I can probably play test it with an NPC, it seems perfect for a campaign I'm running, but that would have to be in a few weeks. I can get back to you on how it works though.