PDA

View Full Version : What a strange looking goblin.

detrevnisisiht
2007-07-18, 11:33 AM
well hears the deal. i am in an evil campaign were all the PCs are goblins. our tribe is lead/dictated over by hobgoblins. i want to design a half-hobgoblin half-goblin.i having no imagination myself can't figure out how to do that being new to DnD. i want it to be medium size and prefer LA+0, but have no idea what the stats should be. can anyone help me out?:smallfrown:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-18, 11:39 AM
Given the stats of both goblins and hobgoblins, I'd give it something similar to this off the top of my head:

-2 Cha, +2 Dex
Medium-sized.
Base land speed 30 ft.
Darkvision 60 ft.
+4 to Move Silently and Ride checks.
Favoured Class: Rogue OR Fighter (depends on which culture he grew up in?).

Basically a conglomeration of the two races rolled into one. Just large enough to be medium, really, tougher than your normal goblin but not as tough as a hobgoblin, stronger than your normal goblin, not as charismatic but still very clever and agile.

SithLackey
2007-07-18, 11:42 AM
Hmmm...

Since the the +1 LA on hobgoblins shouldn't be there anyway, and goblins are a little underpowered for a LA +0 race anyway, you could probably just take the best of both races.

Mixed Goblin (Medium)

+2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Str, -2 Cha

Darkvision 60 ft.
Medium size
+4 racial bonus to Move Silently and Ride
Favored Class: Rogue?

EDIT: Ninja'd! But yeah, I was kind of leaning towards something like Saithis's version anyway.

detrevnisisiht
2007-07-18, 11:48 AM
well those both sound good i will run them both by my DM.

now i picture what that would look like, and i laugh:smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2007-07-18, 12:21 PM
Orange and green, in a checkerboard pattern. What else?

JEntropy
2007-07-18, 12:26 PM

Orange with green zebra stripes or leopard spots

Morty
2007-07-18, 12:40 PM

Default D&D goblins aren't green, sadly.:smallfrown:

detrevnisisiht
2007-07-18, 01:08 PM
however they look its ugly (ugly enough for a -4 to Charisma):smallbiggrin:

Wraithy
2007-07-18, 03:38 PM
unlike either of their parents, these "Blinhobs" have an unusual colouring of jagged electric pink stripes on a powder blue background.

Dervag
2007-07-18, 04:21 PM
If you want to go with realism, the human eye would percieve a greenish orange or orangish green as yellow.

We actually only see three colors: blue, green, and yellow-orange. However, each responds to a range of colors, so red stimulates our yellow-orange receptors a bit, our green receptors less, and our blue receptors not at all. The brain uses the relative stimulation levels of each type of receptor to figure out what color the incoming light must be by interpolation.

If you mixed green and orange colored skin pigments, you'd get a halbgoblin (my name for a half-hob, half-non-hobgoblin) that was giving off both green and orange light. So it would be stimulating both the green receptor and the yellow-orange receptor with roughtly equal strength, and we'd see them as being bright yellow.

Jayabalard
2007-07-18, 04:52 PM
You're mixing together the effects of mixing pigments with the effects of mixing different colors of light, and they work quite differently. When you mix pigments, you change the colors of light that the material absorbs, not the colors that are reflected. Combining those pigments would produce a dull yellow.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-18, 05:05 PM
If you want to go with realism

Nah, I'll pass on that :smalltongue:

detrevnisisiht
2007-07-18, 05:28 PM
or maybe his skin is like a mood ring Red=Mad Blue=sad ect.

andux
2007-07-18, 05:45 PM
Combining those pigments would produce a dull yellow.

Closer to olive drab (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_drab), really; #608000ish.

Driderman
2007-07-18, 06:03 PM
If I remember my Monsters Manual correctly, goblins are orange-ish and so are hobgoblins...

Wouldn't that make you orange-ish?

Stormcrow
2007-07-18, 06:06 PM
Hmmm...

Since the the +1 LA on hobgoblins shouldn't be there anyway, and goblins are a little underpowered for a LA +0 race anyway, you could probably just take the best of both races.

Mixed Goblin (Medium)

+2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Str, -2 Cha

Darkvision 60 ft.
Medium size
+4 racial bonus to Move Silently and Ride
Favored Class: Rogue?

EDIT: Ninja'd! But yeah, I was kind of leaning towards something like Saithis's version anyway.

Your balance is off slightly a +2 to strength, dex or con needs a -2 if the balance is STR. DEX or CON or a -4 if its INT, WIS or CHA to retain balance.

-Cor-
2007-07-18, 06:10 PM
Or you could just look like one of these guys (http://www.goblinscomic.com/).

detrevnisisiht
2007-07-18, 07:18 PM
i might just say -4 to Cha
because considering that hobgoblins love beating on goblins this half breed would be horrible to your youth twice the beatings a normal goblin gets will make you a very
withdrawn peson

Jack Mann
2007-07-18, 10:09 PM
Your balance is off slightly a +2 to strength, dex or con needs a -2 if the balance is STR. DEX or CON or a -4 if its INT, WIS or CHA to retain balance.

No, the DMG is wrong in this case. Strength and Dexterity really aren't any more valuable than the mental stats (Con, incidentally, is supposedly balanced by a single -2 to a mental stat, despite being, arguably, the most valuable ability in the game). This is no more unbalanced, than, say, a dwarf.

giblina
2007-07-19, 08:07 AM
I'd just scratch the +4 ride bonus.

The +4 ride is because goblins ride around on worgs all the time.

Your character is medium sized (like a hobgoblin), and wouldn't be able to ride a worg (which are also medium sized), so he wouldn't have grown up with the training that gives him the riding bonus.

Keep the +4 move silently, because both races have that.

I think the +2 dex, +2 con, -2 str, -2 cha is fine.

<--- Lastly... everyone knows that red goblins are better than green ones. :smallcool:

detrevnisisiht
2007-07-19, 10:32 AM
wow i am glad that i got into these forums. lots of good opinions.:smallbiggrin: thanks everybody

detrevnisisiht
2007-07-26, 05:52 PM
i dont mean to dig up old threads but yes. he approved it