PDA

View Full Version : Can you sneak attack with the magic item dancing sword?

Sir cryosin
2017-01-05, 10:42 AM
If you hand a Rapier or short sword dancing sword and as a rogue can you get sneak attack if you are not holding it.

Pichu
2017-01-05, 10:52 AM
x-post from r/dndnext: Here ya go! (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3rvx9p/what_are_the_limits_and_benefits_of_a_dancing/)

Fishyninja
2017-01-05, 03:02 PM
x-post from r/dndnext: Here ya go! (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3rvx9p/what_are_the_limits_and_benefits_of_a_dancing/)

I don;t understand why it can't be used for a sneak attack though. I mean if you have suprised the enemies surely the sneak attack would still work?

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-05, 07:05 PM
I don;t understand why it can't be used for a sneak attack though. I mean if you have suprised the enemies surely the sneak attack would still work?

It doesn't work because:

1) Dancing Sword makes the attack. "the sword attacks" (DMG 161)
2) Sneak Attack requires you to make the attack. "you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack" (PHB 96)

The key words in these cases are "you" and "the sword".

INDYSTAR188
2017-01-05, 07:13 PM
It doesn't work because:

2) Sneak Attack requires you to make the attack. "you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack" (PHB 96)

While that seems perfectly clear and concrete, I would allow it for the coolness factor.

Joe the Rat
2017-01-05, 10:54 PM
Not sneak attack with the dancing sword, but I'd consider allowing it to trigger sneak attacks (treating the sword as an allied creature).

SillyPopeNachos
2017-01-06, 06:20 AM
No, sneak attack requires a melee finesse weapon or ranged weapon wielded by the rogue. A dancing sword is not wielded by the rogue, it makes its own separate attacks with usually different modifiers.

Fishyninja
2017-01-06, 06:08 PM
It doesn't work because:

Ah, I was sitting there, re-reading and trying to work out what everyone else was getting. Thanks muchly.