PDA

View Full Version : Monk - Open Hand query

Escribblings
2017-01-05, 11:59 AM
Unless you use a disengage bonus action, you are open to an opportunity attack.

With OHT you get 3 options with Flurry Of Blows.

Knock prone (dex save)
Push 15' (str save)
Take no reactions (no save)

Would I be correct in assuming that forcing the creature to take no reaction means it cannot opportunity attack when you (or anyone else) move away?

Proning the creature is obviously best for the group but there is a risk of failure.

Pushing the creature gains a little space, but doesn't seem worth it unless your pushing it of a cliff.

So it looks like the last option is the most reliable of the monk is thinking of himself.

Is that a fair analysis? Or have I overlooked something?

Pichu
2017-01-05, 12:25 PM
Yes, it can't make an OA. OA's take up your reaction. So yes, you can FoB and make them have no reactions, then run away without provoking an OA.

Fishyninja
2017-01-05, 02:50 PM
Yes, it can't make an OA. OA's take up your reaction. So yes, you can FoB and make them have no reactions, then run away without provoking an OA.

Seconded, however I always think Prine is the best option, letting your party gain advantage on knocked prone enemies.....strategic win!

User_Undefined
2017-01-05, 04:46 PM
One thing to note. While forcing no reactions on the target will leave them unable to make opportunity attacks, that only applies to them. Using the disengage bonus action will make you immune to all opportunity attacks. So the relative value of each depends on the circumstance.

1) You need to get by a lot of enemies; disengage is better.
2) The party needs to get past a single enemy; no reactions is better (or prone, or stun)

Fishyninja
2017-01-05, 04:54 PM
1) You need to get by a lot of enemies; disengage is better.
2) The party needs to get past a single enemy; no reactions is better (or prone, or stun)

I second this, do not underestimate these.

Pichu
2017-01-05, 07:46 PM
I second this, do not underestimate these.

I third this.

Samayu
2017-01-06, 10:16 PM
I like to attempt the prone with my first attack, and deny reaction with my second. If the prone works, then I have advantage for my remaining attacks. But if he's not prone, things get more desperate so I go for the denial. If he's prone and I miss on the deny reaction, my opponent will attack me with disadvantage. If I miss on both, I'm pretty much screwed.

If my opponent seems to have a high Dex and low Str, I can push with my final attack. When he's away from me, I can run. Or I can try to stun him, if he's dealing a lot of damage to the team.

It depends on how desperate to retreat you are versus how badly you want to deal some damage before you run. And also whether the guy can get to you on his turn anyway.

One thing I enjoy about the monk is all the attack options you have...

FOB prone, FOB deny, attack, run
Attack, FOB push, FOB push (if necessary), run
Attack, disengage
Attack stun, FOB
Attack, dodge (if there's nowhere to run to)