PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Prestige classes

blackspeeker
2007-07-18, 11:42 AM
This is my first time posting here, so I'll try and make myself seeem as inteligible as possible.

I play a dwarven cleric, true neutral, with the protection and luck domains with a STR: 16, DEX: 14, CON: 17, WIS: 18, INT: 13, and CHA:12.

He's at seventh level right now, and I was wondering what I can prestige class him into, I was wondering if there was anything similar to the elemental infiltrator out there, except for clerics.

Or if you have another suggestion for something I could prestige into, or would you recomend I stay with cleric all the way, which I could be cool with too.

Kaelaroth
2007-07-18, 12:03 PM
Ummm... I imagine from what you've said that your cleric worships the whole patheon?

If so, I particularly like the Radiant Servant of Pelor - a super-powered healing presitge class from CD.
Sacred Exorcists are also nice, as are Mystic Theurges and Contemplatives.

I think there are some nice classes for Dwarfs in Races of Stone.

You could just keep going with Cleric...

warmachine
2007-07-18, 12:03 PM
Anything that adds to spellcaster level at each level or don't bother. Radiant Servant of Pelor is good, if there was anyway you could get it.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-18, 12:08 PM
There is the Elemental Archon PRC but it is 10/7 from Faiths and Pantheons.

blackspeeker
2007-07-18, 12:18 PM
You could just keep going with Cleric...

I probably should do that, but it is good that there are options.

Person_Man
2007-07-18, 12:28 PM
Most of the strong prestige classes require a certain alignment and/or that you worship a specific god and/or access to a specific domain.

A True Neutral Cleric that doesn't worship a specific God with two poor domains doesn't really have any good options open to him. I suggest staying with pure Cleric. Use Divine Power and a few other buff spells, and you'll be fine.

Keld Denar
2007-07-18, 12:29 PM
No one has mentioned divine oracle from complete divine. It's a full casting pclass for any caster, cleric or wizard or whatever, and gives the equivalent of evasion that can be used even in full plate. The class also give uncanny dodge, a bonus domain (oracle with access to scry as a cleric) and some other minor nifty stuff. Good class.

And yes, radiant servent is good too, you just have to change the word "Pelor" to whatever your campaign settings sun god is and you can take it. All of those god specific classes, the god is interchangeable with whatever god fits the portfolio.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that you posted your domains. RSoP is out. Note to self, read OP before replying....

blackspeeker
2007-07-18, 12:36 PM
No one has mentioned divine oracle. It's a full casting pclass for any caster, cleric or wizard or whatever, and gives the equivalent of evasion that can be used even in full plate. The class also give uncanny dodge, a bonus domain (oracle with access to scry as a cleric) and some other minor nifty stuff. Good class.

And yes, radiant servent is good too, you just have to change the word "Pelor" to whatever your campaign settings sun god is and you can take it. All of those god specific classes, the god is interchangeable with whatever god fits the portfolio.

thats brilliant, now i just gotta find stat requirements for each of them.

Person_Man
2007-07-18, 12:40 PM
No one has mentioned divine oracle. It's a full casting pclass for any caster, cleric or wizard or whatever, and gives the equivalent of evasion that can be used even in full plate. The class also give uncanny dodge, a bonus domain (oracle with access to scry as a cleric) and some other minor nifty stuff. Good class.

Divine Oracle only gets 1d6 hit die, has Poor BAB, doesn't progress Turn Undead, and it has a poor Reflex Save (as does a Cleric), which means your Prescient Sense/Evasion will be useless most of the time.

If you use Divine Power every combat, don't fight a lot of undead, and have a way to boost your Reflex Save somehow (Steadfast Determination), then its a great class. Otherwise, I personally wouldn't use it.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-07-18, 12:40 PM
thats brilliant, now i just gotta find stat requirements for each of them.

I think Radiant Servant of Pelor (RSoP) is out. I believe that you need to be good aligned, and have sun and/or healing domains, aside from worshipping the big P. Taking away the god requirement, your domains put you out of the riding.

blackspeeker
2007-07-18, 12:57 PM
Your probably right, but I'll find something suitable.

Fawsto
2007-07-18, 02:13 PM
Hmmm the Hierofant? Just kiding.

Try getting the Complete Divine book, you should find at least new feats to boost your already one man party cleric =)

codexgigas
2007-07-18, 02:18 PM
Sacred Exorcist from Complete Divine is always a solid choice. It offers full casting and turn undead progression, so you're not missing anything by not advancing Cleric. If you don't mind sacrificing your turn undead progression, then Contemplative (also from CDiv) offers a full caster progression and access to a third domain.

Telonius
2007-07-18, 02:20 PM
Cleric actually qualifies for Loremaster. Thaumaturgist can make a decent dip PrC if you like calling in friends.

blackspeeker
2007-07-18, 02:44 PM
Sacred Exorcist from Complete Divine is always a solid choice. It offers full casting and turn undead progression, so you're not missing anything by not advancing Cleric. If you don't mind sacrificing your turn undead progression, then Contemplative (also from CDiv) offers a full caster progression and access to a third domain.

I can still turn undead if I went with the contemplative right?

Kaelaroth
2007-07-18, 03:01 PM
Contemplatives allow you to use all your old abilities, give very nice continued spellcasting, new domains, disease immunity, spell rez.... very nice.

Evangelists are nice too... though very reliant on your bardlike prowess... and offer no new spells. Yet, gives you clerical bard stuff, and makes Diplomacy checks soar.

Pious Templar? New spells... and some good abilities. Available to most classes.

You could also be a WarPriest. Smashy? Keeps undead turning, and allows slo spell advancement. Nice magic buffs too.

Void Disciple??? Very weird class, but they have some very cool scrying powers, and buffs too. :smallsmile: good luck!

Flawless
2007-07-18, 03:04 PM
I can still turn undead if I went with the contemplative right?

Yes. It wouldn't improve anymore, though.

EDIT: Pious Templar is a poor choice. It has a separate spell casting ability, thus you won't get any new (and higher level) cleric spells.

Keld Denar
2007-07-18, 03:10 PM
You CAN turn undead, you don't "lose" the ability to turn undead by going into that class. You just don't advance in your turning level though. So a cleric 10 /contemplative 10 would turn as a 10th level cleric, for example, so you wouldn't be able to turn undead with more than say, 14 hit dice without extra help from magic items. It's a trade off. The major 2 cleric pclasses that give turning are Sacred Exorcist and RSoP, but they are both good only pclasses. If you rebuke, there might be some pclasses that give rebuke levels, but they are evil. Neutral kind of gets the shaft, and if you want to keep turning at level=hit die, you need to stick to straight cleric. If your DM has no undead, contemplative is probably the way to go. The only problem of it, is one of the prereqs is that you have to meet your god. Good luck with that.

EDIT: Doh, quazininjaed

blackspeeker
2007-07-18, 03:58 PM
Yes. It wouldn't improve anymore, though.

EDIT: Pious Templar is a poor choice. It has a separate spell casting ability, thus you won't get any new (and higher level) cleric spells.

I wasnt in to really swappng my alignment anyway.

Darrin
2007-07-19, 08:59 AM
He's at seventh level right now, and I was wondering what I can prestige class him into, I was wondering if there was anything similar to the elemental infiltrator out there, except for clerics.

Or if you have another suggestion for something I could prestige into, or would you recomend I stay with cleric all the way, which I could be cool with too.

For your particular cleric, you might be better off just sticking with it. The frequent whining/moaning about CODzilla isn't for nothing, y'know?

The problem with most Cleric PrCs is they usually stink. Almost all of them sacrifice caster levels, which is one of those cardinal sins... promoted primarily in Logic Ninja's Batman guide, but the rule applies to any caster, even clerics. Of the few PrCs that include full caster levels, there's usually some wonky requirements or just plain ho-hum abilities. There just isn't the same analog of an Abjurant Champion or Eldritch Knight for clerics.

There are actually some good PrCs out there with full caster levels, decent/good BAB, and interesting abilities. Unfortunately, they're almost all FR-specific and 3.0 (Faiths & Pantheons, Magic of Faerun, etc.). The two that look like they might fit your character:

Auspician - Luck-themed divine caster, sort of a divine version of a Fatespinner. Unfortunately, it gives up caster levels (but only three, so you can still get 9th level spells), and requires a chaotic alignment. It's also not very dwarf-themed, but could possibly be adapted to one of the dwarven luck deities (there are three dwarven deities in FR with the Luck domain, and Vergadain matches your alignment). You didn't mention which campaign world you're using, however.

Elemental Archon - Elemental-themed PrC that comes with Mephit toadies, neutral alignment, but unfortunately requires Knowledge (Nature) 8, which is a cross-class for most clerics. Easy enough to fix with a dip into Contemplative or a feat of some sort (something like Education, maybe).

I'm not familiar with Elemental Infiltrator, but the only other elemental-based PrC that I'm familiar with is Elemental Savant (in Complete Arcane), and this should work for a cleric. Entry requirements aren't too bad, and the capstone ability is decent: immunity to crits and flanking.

Dragonmuncher
2007-07-19, 09:12 AM
Elemental Infiltrator is a PrC (4, Actually. One variant each for fire, earth, air, and water) created by our very own Giant, Rich Burlew.

Kinda neat, I've always thought. (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/BvfDDJzx2tyIGOX5zdC.html)

Curmudgeon
2007-07-19, 12:24 PM
You could try the Malconvoker (Complete Scoundrel) and specialize in summoning elementals. It's not the same as being an elemental yourself, of course. But a summoned elemental can provide a flanking partner to help you sneak attack.