PDA

View Full Version : Sage Advice comment about material and somatic component handling

DMJ1
2017-01-05, 01:21 PM
In the 1.14 version of Sage Advice I found the following rule specification:

What’s the amount of interaction needed to use a spellcasting focus? Does it have to be included in the somatic component?

[...] A cleric’s holy symbol is emblazoned on her shield. She likes to wade into melee combat with a mace in one hand and a shield in the other. She uses the holy symbol as her spellcasting focus, so she needs to have the shield in hand when she casts a cleric spell that has a material component. If the spell, such as Aid, also has a somatic component, she can perform that component with the shield hand and keep holding the mace in the other.
If the same cleric casts cure wounds, she needs to put the mace or the shield away, because that spell doesn’t have a material component but does have a somatic component. She’s going to need a free hand to make the spell’s gestures. If she had the War Caster feat, she could ignore this restriction.

This seems a bit weird to me! If I understand this correctly if the spell has a somatic AND material component, she can leave the shield in her hand, but if it has only a somatic component (and therefore the spells appears to be simpler) she has to put it away. This seems a bit unrealistic to me. Of course, you could say that a spell with a somatic component but without a material component is from a somatic perspective always more complicated than a spell that has both components. But that seems overly artificial to me.

If a DM would allow that you never need to worry about such a thing (as long as somehow holding your focus), would that destroy the balance somehow, or would it be largely irrelevant? Of course, one of the advantages of War Caster would be redundant then, but would it still be worth taking as a feat? And would that put Rangers, Arcane Tricksters, and Eldritch Knights at too much of a disadvantage, since they are not allowed to use a spell focus?

And how would that affect casters handling a two handed weapon? Drawing a weapon (or an arcane focus) can be part of an action, so one could let go one hand of the two handed weapon, draw the lets say wand, and cast a 1 action spell. Next turn he could stow the wand away and attack with his two handed weapon. But what if he gets a bonus action for a melee attack and wants to use his two handed weapon. Can he stow away his wand then as part of the attack?

The whole thing bothers me somehow, but I do not want to destroy balance by asking the DM to alter the rules in that perspective.

Any thoughts?

Millstone85
2017-01-05, 01:39 PM
The way I understand it is that if a spell has both somatic and material components, then the somatic component can be considered to be a manipulation of the material component. You are making the material spin in your hand. You are tapping on the material. That kind of thing. And if the material component is replaced with a spellcasting focus, then you are waving it around.

A spell with a somatic component but no material component involves wholly different gestures.

Still, I do not see why it must be so complicated.

Joe the Rat
2017-01-05, 03:49 PM
S, M: Swish and flick.
S: Jazz hands and devil horns.

It might be simpler to think of the somatic part of the first as being the manipulation of the material - you aren't doing hand things and also grabbing your bit of fluff or your wizard stick, You're waving your fluff or wizard stick in a spell-specific manner.

I think it's a bit silly as well.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-05, 07:03 PM
This seems a bit weird to me! If I understand this correctly if the spell has a somatic AND material component, she can leave the shield in her hand, but if it has only a somatic component (and therefore the spells appears to be simpler) she has to put it away. This seems a bit unrealistic to me. Of course, you could say that a spell with a somatic component but without a material component is from a somatic perspective always more complicated than a spell that has both components. But that seems overly artificial to me.

Somatic only is: You are doing something requiring digital agility, like sign language.

Somatic + Material is: You are doing something where the gestures innately involve manipulating the object.

Trying to do a somatic only spell while holding objects would be like trying to do sign language while gripping bags of rocks with your hands, it's not going to happen or be comprehensible.

Asmotherion
2017-01-05, 09:26 PM
I think it's meant to be like:

Somatic+Material= Hand gestures that include manipulating and moving the material component or spellcasting focus.
Example: Spells as they are cast in the harry potter universe; A voodoo/houdou doll.

Material only= You only need to have the material component or spellcasting focus at hand, but it needs little or no manipulation.
Example: Simply having the focus at hand is enough to activate the magic.

Somatic only= You need to do specific hand gestures, that would make imposible holding something with the same hand, thus you need an empty hand. The War Caster feat could be a way to simplyfy those gestures so they no longer restrict holding something at hand.
Example: The Elder Scrolls casting; Using "The Force" in Star Wars.

Lawful Good
2017-01-05, 11:20 PM
A lot of DMs, myself included, seem to not worry too much about V, S, and M as long as the caster has their focus and isnt specifcally restrained (e.g. is gagged). It doesnt really affect the balance, in my opinion.

Example: The Elder Scrolls casting; Using "The Force" in Star Wars.

Except Oblivion, of course

DMJ1
2017-01-06, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I get it and can accept it that way. But I think it's unfair compared to other caster classes, at least with the RAW.

- A holy symbol can be a amulet, emblem, or reliquary. You can choose emblem and then can put it on your shield and go with it.
- An arcane focus can be an crystal, orb, rod, staff, or wand, which all are impossible or ridiculous to put on a shield. You could argue that you can set a crystal on a shield maybe.

What about a second weapon instead of a shield. It's difficult to put your emblem there, you could maybe put a crystal in the hilt of your weapon. Maybe also an orb on a quarterstaff (or the staff version of the arcane focus itself could be a quarterstaff).

Maybe I think too much in the real world and too little in rules :smallwink:

Zene
2017-01-06, 03:30 PM
Yeah the rules for casting with hands full are weird as heck, micromanagey, and IMO not fun. I have one character that's multiclassed, and uses both a holy symbol (shield) and an arcane focus (staff, which I also use as an improvised quarterstaff 1-handed), and doesn't yet have Warcaster. I just cast as normal. If the DM calls me on it, I plan to just go ahead and drop one thing for that cast, and then deal with the repercussions afterward.

I haven't yet run into a DM that cared. For any that do bring it up, next time I play with them I'll make sure to either leave a hand free or select my spells more carefully.