PDA

View Full Version : Fluff me up!

Tormsskull
2007-07-18, 11:57 AM
Hi all,

I'm putting together a one-shot session to highlight my new system in the next month or so, and I need some help with some ideas/fluff. Here are some of my ideas:

The PCs are all prisoners in a high-security installation which is built a mile off shore (think Alcatraz). They were either imprisoned for just cause or not (their choice). They manage to escape from their cells and have to fight their way through the different levels in order to escape.

Variations:

An alternate plane contained inside a black cloud hovers over the prison unexpectedly. At odd intervals, the characters are transported into the other plane and have to deal with its denizens, and are just as often knocked back to the normal plane.
One of the characters is the rightful ruler of the country, thrown in prison by an imposter. The group must protect the ruler and escape with him.
The prison has been struck with a magical attack, and is slowly descending into the sea. If the characters don't escape fast enough they'll have to contend with drowning.
~

A cosmopolitan town, located in the center of the continent, is hosting a grand tournament of champions. The characters all show up in order to compete in the tournament in one game or another. However, before the games get underway, trouble strikes. Two nobles from rival families have gone missing, and the characters are tasked with figuring out what happened to them and bringing them back safely without stepping on the noble families toes.

Variations:

A second group of investigators has been sent out to find the two missing nobles, competeing against the characters to gain the favor of the noble families.
The nobles both turn up just as the characters begin to look for them, and everyone seems relieved. Everyone except one of the nobles' girlfriends, who says that the noble is acting very unlike himself.
During the investigation, it comes to light that one of the families orchestrated the entire abducting of both nobles, but in truth, they are being framed. It is up to the characters to prove them innocent.

Do any of these ideas sound appealing? Does anyone want to add on to any of them or suggest new ones entirely? Thanks.

psychoticbarber
2007-07-18, 12:07 PM
The PCs are all prisoners in a high-security installation which is built a mile off shore (think Alcatraz). They were either imprisoned for just cause or not (their choice). They manage to escape from their cells and have to fight their way through the different levels in order to escape.

Variations:

An alternate plane contained inside a black cloud hovers over the prison unexpectedly. At odd intervals, the characters are transported into the other plane and have to deal with its denizens, and are just as often knocked back to the normal plane.

This looks pretty awesome, actually, but it's not very practical unless your group is used to a lot of splitting. I probably wouldn't do it, but it's going to stick in my mind now.

One of the characters is the rightful ruler of the country, thrown in prison by an imposter. The group must protect the ruler and escape with him.'

Not bad. Some players might resent one of the other players being their "king" and try to kill him or her. I'm not saying it's cool or smart, it's just something one of my players would do :smallfrown:

The prison has been struck with a magical attack, and is slowly descending into the sea. If the characters don't escape fast enough they'll have to contend with drowning.

Out of the list thus far, this is probably the most playable. I like the first one for style, but I'd recommend this of the three for playability.

~

A cosmopolitan town, located in the center of the continent, is hosting a grand tournament of champions. The characters all show up in order to compete in the tournament in one game or another. However, before the games get underway, trouble strikes. Two nobles from rival families have gone missing, and the characters are tasked with figuring out what happened to them and bringing them back safely without stepping on the noble families toes.

Variations:

A second group of investigators has been sent out to find the two missing nobles, competeing against the characters to gain the favor of the noble families.
Opposing adventurers is ALWAYS a fun thing to do.

The nobles both turn up just as the characters begin to look for them, and everyone seems relieved. Everyone except one of the nobles' girlfriends, who says that the noble is acting very unlike himself.

I assume you're going for doppleganger here? Those can be tons of fun too.

During the investigation, it comes to light that one of the families orchestrated the entire abducting of both nobles, but in truth, they are being framed. It is up to the characters to prove them innocent.
This one doesn't as much do it for me. Nobles, innocent? Impossible!:smallyuk:

But that's a personal issue, otherwise the plot itself is not so bad.

I like them. I think the second one has more possible options for random things going wrong, which I think is key for a one-shot.

Kaelaroth
2007-07-18, 12:08 PM
OK!

1a) I really, really think this will just confuse and annoy players. Also, it seems really random - and doesn't really fit in with the idea you're proposing.

1b) I like it. It provides and interesting campaign basis.

1c) Good for a fast-paced adventure - and really motivates the PCs. I would go as far as to say this is your best scheme for scenario one.

I have no real opinion on the second scenario... I'm sorry.:smallredface:

Attilargh
2007-07-18, 12:28 PM
That's awesome. It's got all sorts of opportunities for diplomacy and skills and lots of brutal combat. I'd suggest adding some real badass inmate who has escaped from the maximum security area as the final antagonist. Perhaps with magical powers or something.

Alternatively, you could place the characters into a Robin Hood -esque story of "taking from the rich". As tax collectors. :smallamused:

Pronounceable
2007-07-18, 01:08 PM
I agree that 1c is the best of the bunch. To flesh it out more:

*All commanding officers have already fled with life boats/escape pods/what have you.

*The remaining guardians are those unlucky to be far from docks (?) and a few brave (foolish) who stayed behind. Possibly these few guardians are holding onto the last boat/pod and are waiting for the unlucky ones to make it there.

*The attack didn't free ALL inmates, only a few lucky ones and most of the maximum security block. There are some extremely dangerous (and maybe a few insane) folks running around.

*Why not make the attack aimed at freeing a certain inmate? Some sort of gang/guild/cult leader who was held in the max security. The attackers have infiltrated the place and making their way to the Big Cheese.

*Some inmates have killed guardians are armed. They are gathering up to attack the waiting guardians at the docks.

*Hilarity ensues.

rollfrenzy
2007-07-18, 01:11 PM
I too, really like the sinking-prison idea.

Out of curiosity, you said to "highlight my new system". Whats the system like? modern, sci-fi, other? You mention other planes and also noble houses. I am interested in learning more.

Tormsskull
2007-07-18, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all of the input so far folks, definitely looking like the sinking prison is the best idea. And I really like the idea of the characters getting caught in the middle of a group of people trying to break someone out (Kind of like that one movie where the guy says "I will give 100 Million dollars to whoever gets me out of here.")

I too, really like the sinking-prison idea.

Out of curiosity, you said to "highlight my new system". Whats the system like? modern, sci-fi, other? You mention other planes and also noble houses. I am interested in learning more.

The system is built mostly for fantasy/middle ages/dark ages, etc. It could be applied to modern or sci-fi with some retailoring (its a point-based system).

Dervag
2007-07-18, 01:43 PM
As for the 'two noble families' idea:

Maybe the case of the two vanished nobles is a 'Romeo and Juliet' case. This leaves the Capulets wondering who the hell just ran off with their daughter, and the Montagues wondering if their son has fallen victim to foul play... and neither house willing to admit that the two have eloped together.

sikyon
2007-07-18, 03:08 PM
The sinking prison idea is good. I think it could be very open ended, like what your PC's could do.

For example,

If they wanted to have a good alignment then they could work with the guards against the insane criminals, getting them out into the evacuation ships or whatever. Boss fights include crazy strong insane criminals, and a final confrontation could be a mob of inmates as the entire security system goes down and they have to make a fighting exit with the guards.

If they wanted to have an evil alignment then they could unleash the insane criminals on the guards (obviously some risks here), regular fights could include automated security systems, ie. golems that could be crit, boss fights could include heavily armed guards/teams thereoff and final boss battles could be storming the outer gates in a frenzy of violence etc.

Fluff basis for alignment selection could be that they were good to start out with, but they've spent quite a few years in prison (possibly turning them). You could also have inter-party conflicts between them, evil vs good, good vs evil. If a PC dies, there's alot of prisoners running around that you can re-roll with.

The potential courses of action could be more than limited to simply escaping though. You can have side missions of restoring power or even trying to get the system back up again (all magical engineers but 1 killed initially or something, cover for him as he works). The side missions could offer rewards to make the rest of it easier such as allowing rescue forces to begin arriving or loosening up more jail cells (intimidate for evil characters). The possibilities are endless. Heck I might use this for one of my sessions (if I ever find the time to play another one).

Diggorian
2007-07-18, 10:39 PM
Sinking prison is gold. I did something similar with an alien spaceship under attack and the players as freed abductees, Farscape style D20 Future.

For Scenario 2, I like variant one and would further twist it with the true villain placing evidence on his trail that incriminates a member of the PC party and the rival investigators so they stalk each other.

True villain could be a low level bureaucrat contest official that is in love with a maiden the two nobles have quarreled over courting. She loves him but his status is too low for her family to consent. No one expects the Love Square (tm). :smallwink:

Matthew
2007-07-20, 11:09 AM
Yep, I agree with what has been said so far. Number 1c is a great idea. Number 2 needs some more substance, but all three sub ideas are workable. Maybe one of the families is in some way related to a PC?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-20, 11:46 AM
As a low level adventurer. The PCs could have been kidnapped by pirate slavers right before their majority. Sinking ship/shipwreck in a storm and stranded on a sinking island filled with pirates like the old Treasure Hunt adventure where PCs made choices that determined their classes working together to escape. They could be hundreds of miles or thousands from where they started when they finally finish up.

Instead of an orphan maybe one of the PCs was orphaned at an early age and fostered in a temple or by a childless couple or survived on the streets and is really a lost heir to a noble house or great merchant house who is presumed dead and lost with his parents but who has standing orders to their agents to keep an eye out for (Commune has determined still survives). With a distinctive birthmark or two and a dead ringer for his grandfather in his youth (Just like his aging grandfather) perhaps like one of the Hidden psionic houses. Eventually he will happen accross his house agents or servants during the campaign and be discovered.

The ruler stuff works with LA for Nobles like they do in A Game of Thrones.