PDA

View Full Version : Druid deity

LVOD
2017-01-05, 01:31 PM
What are some of your favorite deities for druids to follow? A deity has never been a necessity for the whole druid biz, but I've always liked it from a flavor aspect.

Millstone85
2017-01-05, 01:51 PM
Not a specific deity, but I like the PHB's description of nature gods as the First Circle.
They are druids who happen to be gods and might be communing with the spirits of the land on a very different level.

JellyPooga
2017-01-05, 02:18 PM
I've played Druids that follow Ehlonna (Half-Elf) and Segojan Earthcaller (Deep Gnome). Both were very satisfactory experiences.

I played a Half-Orc Druid that followed Malar (I think...it was a while ago and it was only a one-shot adventure); that was fun, playing up the whole bestial and cruel aspects of nature!

M Placeholder
2017-01-05, 02:33 PM
Haven't played a druid yet, but for the Gnome I'm playing in a current campaign, my character follows a deity called "The Rusing One", who represents survival in nature through trickery. A rattlesnake hiding under the sand with just its rattle showing, a katydid that looks exactly like a dead leaf, a plant that resembles a rock...that's what that god represents. I created it to explain why my character would be a dual classed Bard/Life Cleric.

If I played a druid, earth deity Grumbar or the Spirits of Rashemen would be my choice. If I wanted to play either a ranger or a druid that venerated nature red in tooth and claw, then Malar would be my choice.

SillyPopeNachos
2017-01-06, 06:22 AM
Talos, he allows plenty of moral freedom.

Herobizkit
2017-01-06, 06:23 AM
My current DM carried over much of the 4e lore from our 4e game into 5e. I'm presently playing a Druid who follows Melora, a 4e Goddess of Nature, Wilderness and the Sea. Her jam is Nature and Tempest.

Eilistraee (drow Goddess, Light/Nature) is a fun deity if your DM incorporates her into their game. A Drow or even Half-Drow Underdark druid would be quite fitting.

Arkhios
2017-01-06, 11:16 AM
In Forgotten Realms Mielikki allows (or at least allowed in previous editions) her druid followers to wear metal armor, so I'd vouch for her (plus, she's a deity borrowed from our native mythos, so that might weigh something).

In Non-FR, I prefer The Old Faith. Nature worshipping at its truest form.
But since the question is specifically about deities, I guess from The Dawn War pantheon, which is, I believe, currently the most generic of general pantheons in D&D, I have a few favorites:

Pelor, the god of sun.
Kord, the god of storms.
Melora, the goddess of the sea and wilderness.
Raven Queen, the goddess of winter.

MrStabby
2017-01-06, 11:40 AM
Umberlee is pretty good - more for the sea than the sailors. Would suit a coastal land druid.

Millstone85
2017-01-06, 12:59 PM
Alternative "gods" for druids:
* Major nature spirits. Imagine a yuan-ti devoted to the World Serpent, an entity believed to be the reason both gods and primordials rarely venture in person on the Material Plane, for fear of seeing the plane itself coil around and constrict them.
* Major elementals. Some primordials desire the balance of the four realms. Some don't but are nonetheless key in preserving it. And on the world of Athas, elemental power is almost all that's left for druids to commune with.

LVOD
2017-01-06, 01:33 PM
I'm loving these answers. Good job playgrounders.

If we want to keep the fun going: I've decided on a ghostwise halfling druid, so that aught out open some more options up.