PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Looking for Bonus Action Wizard Cantrip for Melee

Spectre9000
2017-01-05, 02:30 PM
I'm going a melee abjuration wizard, and looking for a cantrip that would compliment BB. I don't want something OP, and I'm having a hard time determining what is and isn't OP for a bonus action at will spell. I would love something akin to spiritual weapon or some-such that would allow me additional damage on a bonus action, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. I want it to be arcane themed due to being a wizard that enhances his physical abilities through arcane means.

Ziegander
2017-01-05, 03:27 PM
Honestly, I think even this is too powerful...

LESSER MAGIC WEAPON
Transmutation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Touch
Components: S
Duration: 1 round (see text)

You touch a nonmagical weapon. The next time you hit with that weapon it is considered a magical weapon for the purposes of overcoming resistance and immunity to non-magical damage. After your first successful hit with the weapon, or at the start of your next turn, the cantrip's effect ends.

At 5th level your first successful attack with the weapon during the effect's duration deals 1 additional damage. That attack deals 2 additional damage at 11th level, and 3 additional damage at 17th level.

JNAProductions
2017-01-05, 03:53 PM
Honestly, I think even this is too powerful...

LESSER MAGIC WEAPON
Transmutation Cantrip
Range: Touch
Components: S
Duration: 1 round (see text)

You touch a nonmagical weapon. The next time you hit with that weapon it is considered a magical weapon for the purposes of overcoming resistance and immunity to non-magical damage. After your first successful hit with the weapon, or at the start of your next turn, the cantrip's effect ends.

At 5th level your first successful attack with the weapon during the effect's duration deals 1 additional damage. That attack deals 2 additional damage at 11th level, and 3 additional damage at 17th level.

Nah. That'd be fine.

Ziegander
2017-01-05, 06:17 PM
Well, then, what about...

RAPID RELOCATION
Transmutation Cantrip
Range: Self
Components: V
Duration: 1 round

Until the start of your next turn your speed increases by 5ft and opportunity attacks made against you have disadvantage.

Your speed increases by 10ft at 5th level, by 15ft at 11th level, and by 20ft at 17th level.

KINETIC STRIKE
Transmutation Cantrip

Until the start of your next turn, if you use your reaction to make an attack, that attack deals 1d8 additional damage.

The additional damage granted by this spell increases to 2d8 at 5th level, 3d8 at 11th level, and 4d8 at 17th level.

DracoKnight
2017-01-05, 09:38 PM
KINETIC STRIKE
Transmutation Cantrip

Until the start of your next turn, if you use your reaction to make an attack, that attack deals 1d8 additional damage.

The additional damage granted by this spell increases to 2d8 at 5th level, 3d8 at 11th level, and 4d8 at 17th level.

This is really cool, especially if the OP is playing in a game that allows feats, it'll pair nicely with War Caster and booming blade, and if he's not playing in a game with feats, this will replicate a melee cantrip as an OA.

Spectre9000
2017-01-06, 01:16 PM
I like these ideas, thanks. Here's an idea I had whilst reading these suggestions...

ARCANE INFUSION
Transmutation Cantrip
Duration: Up to 1 Round
Spell Lists: Wizard, Bard

You infuse yourself with greater speed, precision, and damage. When you cast this spell, choose one of the following effects:

Arcane Precision
Until the start of your next turn, add half (rounded up, minimum 1) your spellcasting ability modifier to weapon attack roles.

Eldritch Force
Until the start of your next turn, whenever you hit a creature with an attack, the creature takes extra damage equal to half (rounded up, minimum 1) your spellcasting ability modifier.

Eldritch Onslaught
Immediately following your next attack, you may use your reaction to cast a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action that requires an attack roll. A spell cast this way doesn't count against spells you've cast this turn.

At level 5, you can cast a spell with a level up to half your spellcasting modifier (minimum 1). At 11th level, the minimum increases to 2. At 17th level, you may cast a spell with a level up to your spellcasting modifier (minimum 3).

Arcane Swiftness
Until the start of your next turn your base movement increases by 5ft.

Your speed increases by 10ft at 5th level, by 15ft at 11th level, and by 20ft at 17th level.

I've seen many cantrips with multiple listed uses, so I thought I'd try for one. Each of these options are mutually exclusive, but open up more versatility for a caster depending on the situation. I'm a little wary of Eldritch Onslaught, but the core idea is to provide an option for more burst damage while still costing resources (bonus action and reaction at minimum, with a possible spell slot expended). I put that the spell cast using Eldritch Onslaught doesn't count towards your spells cast this turn due to the fact you're casting a spell to... cast a spell. This cantrip, I feel, makes a Gish feel a lot smoother in its role between caster and melee fighter, as well as provide versatility to both a pure melee fighter and pure caster.

JNAProductions
2017-01-06, 01:31 PM
Arcane Precision is too much in a bounded accuracy system. It's not broken, but it is too powerful.

Eldritch Force is fine.

Eldritch Onslaught literally doubles or more your damage. No, far too powerful.

Arcane Swiftness is likely too much.

Ziegander
2017-01-06, 02:44 PM
Arcane Onslaught would be powerful as a class feature, and probably overly powerful as such. Multiple function cantrips are all the fluff ones, right? Like Thaumaturgy and Prestidigitation. I can't recall ever seeing any cantrips with multiple combat functions to choose from. Arcane Infusion is simply both way too strong and way too versatile for a cantrip. I would even disagree that, on its own, Eldritch Force is fine. An extra 2 damage to all attacks you make on your turn and including reactions for the price of a cantrip? Where can Warlocks and Eldritch Knights sign up? Do either of them need yet another damage boost? No.

JNAProductions
2017-01-06, 02:51 PM
Extra damage ain't that bad. It's probably a bit powerful, but honestly, an extra 6-10 damage won't break anything.

Spectre9000
2017-01-06, 04:04 PM
Arcane Onslaught would be powerful as a class feature, and probably overly powerful as such. Multiple function cantrips are all the fluff ones, right? Like Thaumaturgy and Prestidigitation. I can't recall ever seeing any cantrips with multiple combat functions to choose from. Arcane Infusion is simply both way too strong and way too versatile for a cantrip. I would even disagree that, on its own, Eldritch Force is fine. An extra 2 damage to all attacks you make on your turn and including reactions for the price of a cantrip? Where can Warlocks and Eldritch Knights sign up? Do either of them need yet another damage boost? No.

First off, as to Eldritch Force, as was said, 4-10 damage (2-5 attacks hitting) is hardly OP. Especially when you yourself suggested a cantrip adding 4d8 damage(Kinetic Strike). Furthermore, in the DMG 1d10 (scaling to 4d10) is suggested as damage for a cantrip, which is considerably more damage. The DMG, I think presumes it'll be cast as an action, which is why I feel like the BA should be scaled down (which I've done considerably).

As to Arcane Onslaught, there's a class feature already that's similar: Quicken Spell. Except, Quicken Spell doesn't require a reaction and has no limitation on spell slots used (or even on the spell itself, whereas AO requires an attack roll), though it requires sorcery points (which is largely only a limitation at lower levels). Additionally, if I have War Caster, which in general any gish style character is going to have, I'm trading an unrestricted reaction spell cast (provided you get an OA), for a level restricted spell cast (not dependent on OA).

This matters much more when wanting to hit with higher level spells, but as to cantrips lets look at Booming Blade, which will deal 7d8 with an OA, but only 3d8 with a normal casting. So presuming you strike with BB twice, the extra 4d8 damage a creature would take wouldn't ever be dealt if it doesn't move, and would only be dealt once if it did. In contrast, if you cast BB as an action, and the creature moves, you deal 7d8, then get to deal another 7d8 as a reaction (with war caster). It seems to me, I wouldn't double my damage, but reduce it overall for more burst damage.

Now, lets look at a full caster casting two spells, which a sorcerer can already do as a bonus action. First, the max level spell you can cast is 5th. Secondly, you have only so many spell slots, which means, you're not increasing your damage overall, you're just using it up twice as fast. You also get no defensive spells (Shield, Absorb Elements, etc) for a reaction, so you're leaving yourself more vulnerable.

Regarding Arcane Precision, Note that this only applies to weapon attacks, not spell attacks, which already get their spellcasting modifier added. This only works on a MAD character. Meaning that a person is largely not going to have +5 modifiers in both ability scores, which significantly reduces how much this will realistically provide a character, and instead simply makes up for the deficits already present in the MAD build. Even if the MAD build did manage +5 in both stats, they're looking at a +14 instead of a +11 at level 20. It helps, certainly, but hardly seems OP, especially since it requires Str/Dex score of 20, and a Cha/Int score of 20.

Additionally, Arcane Swiftness, is simply an altered version of Ziegander's RAPID RELOCATION without the giving enemies disadvantage part. If his wasn't OP, how is Arcane Swiftness?

Finally, as to the thought that this is too versatile for a cantrip... Well, it is versatile. That was kind of the point. It's also kind of the point in all gish builds to be more versatile. They sacrifice pure damage for it, as this cantrip does. I don't know what kind of scale things should be on for that, as it's really a rather complicated problem. I don't think any one option is game-breaking, and I understand the trend of a damaging cantrip doing only one or two things (Pure damage, or less damage and battlefield control), but not one option on this cantrip directly deals damage; every option is dependent on other things (except AS, but it doesn't deal damage). Maybe the versatility is OP, but I feel like with the cost of up to two other options (Bonus attack can be used for one thing, while reaction could be used for another) per round balances it.

I would prefer, however, that instead of simply saying it won't work, or just that it's OP, perhaps more insight could be given into how it's OP and possible solutions? I see no reason why a combat oriented cantrip can't be versatile if its options have a cost and are balanced against that cost. To me, more versatility adds more fun to the game. This is one reason I'm really looking forward to the new mystic class.

Ziegander
2017-01-06, 04:23 PM
Kinetic Strike adds 4d8 damage to ONE ATTACK, if you use your reaction to make that attack. It doesn't also offer you three other benefits you can choose from when you cast it.

We've offered you insight as to why your multi-function combat cantrip is OP, you're just ignoring it, and as far as solutions go, I've argued that I think LESSER MAGIC WEAPON is borderline too strong for a bonus action cantrip, so I would expect it could be inferred that I think a cantrip that offers better increased damage along with three other potential features is way, WAY too much. The point is, there is no solution. Bonus action combat cantrips are borderline OP in concept alone. You have to tread very carefully in designing them. There's simply no way you're going to design a fair bonus action combat-viable cantrip with four different uses unless it's something like:

Until the beginning of your next turn, you gain one of the following effects:

Your next successful attack deals 1 additional damage.
Your speed increases by 5ft.
Your movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks from the next enemy you attack.
Or, you gain 1 temporary hit point.

I dunno, even that's pretty damn good, especially when you compare it to Prestidigitation.

Steel Mirror
2017-01-06, 04:34 PM
First off, as to Eldritch Force, as was said, 4-10 damage (2-5 attacks hitting) is hardly OP. Especially when you yourself suggested a cantrip adding 4d8 damage(Kinetic Strike). Furthermore, in the DMG 1d10 (scaling to 4d10) is suggested as damage for a cantrip, which is considerably more damage. The DMG, I think presumes it'll be cast as an action, which is why I feel like the BA should be scaled down (which I've done considerably).As you say, the DMG guideline assumes you'll be using your action to cast the spell. Making it a bonus action allows you to stack damage on top of other damage, that's the difference. And if you look closer at Kinetic strike, it only works on reactions, not attacks made during your own turn.

As to Arcane Onslaught, there's a class feature already that's similar: Quicken Spell. Except, Quicken Spell doesn't require a reaction and has no limitation on spell slots used (or even on the spell itself, whereas AO requires an attack roll), though it requires sorcery points (which is largely only a limitation at lower levels). Additionally, if I have War Caster, which in general any gish style character is going to have, I'm trading an unrestricted reaction spell cast (provided you get an OA), for a level restricted spell cast (not dependent on OA).That's comparing a class feature, and possibly the Sorcerer's best one at that, to a cantrip available at level 1. War Caster lets you cast a spell as a reaction, yes, but it doesn't noticeably boost your power past what any melee character can do; instead of hitting with a weapon as your OA, you are hitting with a cantrip, which are designed to be of comparable power. So that part of War Caster simply lets you catch up to what a melee fighter can already do. Your option effectively doubles your damage output from level 1, which is very, very powerful.

Even more than that, the problem with giving an option of that level of power to a cantrip is it makes that cantrip so good that nobody will ever not take it. Even if that were the only thing the cantrip could do, it would be required for every character who could take it to do so, or willingly make themselves half as offensively effective. Heck, it would be worth it for almost any build in the entire game to dip the class for one level just to get access to that cantrip, it's that powerful.

I understand wanting more feedback than "it's OP, nix it," but in this case, the ability to cast another spell for free each round is just way too good for an at-will anything.

Regarding Arcane Precision, Note that this only applies to weapon attacks, not spell attacks, which already get their spellcasting modifier added. This only works on a MAD character. Meaning that a person is largely not going to have +5 modifiers in both ability scores, which significantly reduces how much this will realistically provide a character, and instead simply makes up for the deficits already present in the MAD build. Even if the MAD build did manage +5 in both stats, they're looking at a +14 instead of a +11 at level 20. It helps, certainly, but hardly seems OP, especially since it requires Str/Dex score of 20, and a Cha/Int score of 20.Again though, the problem is that it is an at-will effect which also breaks one of the basic foundations of the game. Instead of messing with the action economy, as you did before, it messes with bounded accuracy, and it does so every turn of the game, if you desire it to. Compare it to the Fighting Style Archery. Archery gives you a +2 to attacks, but only with bows. This ability potentially gives you +2 or +3 to all attacks, and it's only one of several abilities on a cantrip, which is one of several cantrips you have, which is itself only part of one class ability (spellcasting) among many others. The Archery Fighting Style is a whole class feature all by itself, and one which the fighting classes in general are very glad to have.

If you have a cantrip which is a more powerful version of a defining class feature for the fighting classes, it probably is a little overpowered. :smallsmile:

That said, this one probably isn't as crazy overpowered as the quickened spell one. If it were a cantrip all by itself, it would probably be too good, but not game-breakingly so.

Additionally, Arcane Swiftness, is simply an altered version of Ziegander's RAPID RELOCATION without the giving enemies disadvantage part. If his wasn't OP, how is Arcane Swiftness? This one I have no problem with. 5 feet more movement is perfectly acceptable.

Finally, as to the thought that this is too versatile for a cantrip... Well, it is versatile. That was kind of the point. It's also kind of the point in all gish builds to be more versatile. They sacrifice pure damage for it, as this cantrip does. I don't know what kind of scale things should be on for that, as it's really a rather complicated problem. I don't think any one option is game-breaking, and I understand the trend of a damaging cantrip doing only one or two things (Pure damage, or less damage and battlefield control), but not one option on this cantrip directly deals damage; every option is dependent on other things (except AS, but it doesn't deal damage). Maybe the versatility is OP, but I feel like with the cost of up to two other options (Bonus attack can be used for one thing, while reaction could be used for another) per round balances it.The problem is that you don't pay anything for the versatility. Even if the individual options on the cantrip weren't overpowered (though as I've established, I believe several of them to be), by combining what should be several cantrips into one, you are making it so that everyone will always take this cantrip. Why wouldn't you? It simply gives you more bang for your buck than any other cantrip in the game, and since it has so many uses you probably are going to be casting it every round of every combat, so you don't even really need to use any other cantrips outside of certain niche situations. If you have one option that is just straight up better than any other option with which it is competing, you should tone down that option.

I'd break this cantrip into separate spells. Arcane Precision is then probably fine (I think it's a little too good, and also a bit boring because you'll just always be casting it for a flat bonus, which takes a lot of decision making out of the game, but in sheer power terms I doubt it will break your game). Eldritch Force is likewise probably fine, though it has some of the same issues with being one-note as Arcane Precision. It's also, purely numbers speaking, going to lag behind how powerful Arcane Precision is as your damage begins to climb. Eldritch Onslaught is, imo much too powerful to ever be considered for a cantrip. Arcane swiftness is the most interesting of the lot because it's situationally useful, so you actually decide when to cast it and when to use your bonus action for something else. If it does become it's own cantrip, I'd ad something else to it to make it slightly better, like maybe giving you advantage to athletics rolls during that round or letting you pass rough terrain without paying extra movement. But as a basic idea for a mobility cantrip for gish characters, I think it's a cool idea.

I hope that helps! I'm not trying to just rain on your parade here, I hope that my reasons and explanations are actually helpful even if they come across as a bit candid. Happy brewing and gaming!