PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What is the proper compensation for loss of Darkvision?

Ruslan
2017-01-05, 04:20 PM
For story reasons, I feel it's not appropriate for some races in my setting to have Darkvision. However, I don't want to just take away abilities from people. I want to give something instead - something nice and cool if possible, albeit not overpowered. What do you feel would be a fair compensation for losing Darkvision?

Fishyninja
2017-01-05, 04:23 PM
For story reasons, I feel it's not appropriate for some races in my setting to have Darkvision. However, I don't want to just take away abilities from people. I want to give something instead - something nice and cool if possible, albeit not overpowered. What do you feel would be a fair compensation for losing Darkvision?

Are you trying to remove the ability to detect potential threats, I was thinking heigthening over senses such as hearing or touch.

eastmabl
2017-01-05, 04:34 PM

What races are losing darkvision?

The answer for elves would be different than orcs.

Ruslan
2017-01-05, 04:36 PM
Only Tieflings keep darkvision, being literally the spawns of Hell. Other races don't have it.

Garfunion
2017-01-05, 04:38 PM
Low-light Vision
Dim light does not impose disadvantage on perception checks.

Hrugner
2017-01-05, 04:55 PM
Darkvision removes one type of situational disadvantage to the most commonly made skill check. It also makes it possible to see decently well while staying completely hidden. It can greatly decrease the likelihood of experiencing a surprise round. All of this only happens for about half of a day or underground. Given it's situational nature, and it's difference in value to stealthy characters, you should probably replace it with something that has those two traits.

Dwarves: Well Oiled Machine- medium armor no longer causes disadvantage to stealth checks and medium armor mastery confers this benefit on heavy armor.
Elves: Really F-ing Old double proficiency on knowledge checks.
Halforcs: Irritable during a surprise round in which he cannot act, the orc can, as an attack of opportunity, attack with an in hand melee or thrown weapon if struck.
gnome: Quickdraw Holster While taking a short rest the gnome can chose any 5 items and strap them to his belt or pack making it a non-action to recover or replace them. These items can be any light weapon, a shield, or any other item that is not a weapon or armor and weighs 10 lbs or less.

Something like that.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-01-05, 05:02 PM
When I'm balancing races, I count darkvision as 0.5 points. That's the same as a cantrip, a skill proficiency, a damage resistance or a minor feature like Mask of the Wild. Thus, I'd consider any of them a fair replacement.

Dwarves: Well Oiled Machine- medium armor no longer causes disadvantage to stealth checks and medium armor mastery confers this benefit on heavy armor.
Halforcs: Irritable during a surprise round in which he cannot act, the orc can, as an attack of opportunity, attack with an in hand melee or thrown weapon if struck.
gnome: Quickdraw Holster While taking a short rest the gnome can chose any 5 items and strap them to his belt or pack making it a non-action to recover or replace them. These items can be any light weapon, a shield, or any other item that is not a weapon or armor and weighs 10 lbs or less.

Something like that.

These are pretty good. I'd second them.

Fishyninja
2017-01-05, 05:28 PM

I want this in the PHB

Ruslan
2017-01-05, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I like some of those ideas a lot too, but keep'em coming!

ChildofLuthic
2017-01-05, 08:59 PM
Honestly, the darkvision races in the PHB are pretty good without it, except the Drow (because of sunlight sensitivity.) Honestly, the only thing I'd change is maybe variant human, to make it a little bit less OP in comparison the rest.

Maybe, if you're worried about them feeling like the races were nerfed, give them all a bonus feat? That way they feel like they're still powerful?

Pichu
2017-01-05, 09:19 PM
Halforcs: Irritable during a surprise round in which he cannot act, the orc can, as a reaction, attack with an in hand melee or thrown weapon if struck.
gnome: Quickdraw Holster While taking a short rest the gnome can chose any 5 items and strap them to his belt or pack making it a free action to recover or replace them. These items can be any light weapon, a shield, or any other item that is not a weapon or armor and weighs 10 lbs or less.

Fixed those for ya! Anyways, besides my OCD/nitpicking, I really like these! Good job!

Asmotherion
2017-01-05, 10:05 PM
-Some racial spell usable once per day
-Some racial cantrip
-A natural weapon
-An extra movement speed
-An iconic racial ability; For example, you could give Tieflings a tail, and the ability to graple an opponent with it as a bonus action, or Dwarves advantage to Con saving throws.

It all depends on the race really.

Specter
2017-01-05, 10:42 PM
It obviously depends on the campaign. As a DM, you have full control of that.

If your world were dominated by a being that made everything dark, how good would Darkvision be? Essential, I'll say. What if a being made everything light except at horror points (dungeons)? Very little value.

If you're keeping things neutral, give them the Keen Senses trait of elves, or in case of elves, advantage on hearing checks (+5 to passive perception).

Cespenar
2017-01-06, 12:32 AM
Low-light Vision
Dim light does not impose disadvantage on perception checks.

This, easy and simple.

Give it double the range too, if you want.

MBControl
2017-01-06, 04:17 PM
I was going to say allow them to pick from a menu of racial traits from non-darkvision races, and sub in one of those, but that doesn't leave many options, plus dragon breath doesn't belong in a gnome.

A lot of DM's like to award a feat to all PC's to start the game. Perhaps this is an option.

Fishyninja
2017-01-06, 05:18 PM
-A natural weapon

Give Half Orcs/Dwarf's slightly large Damage Dice when using unarmed attacks?

Ruslan
2017-01-09, 05:17 PM
So, after much consideration, here's what I came up with:

Elves (non-Drow): Elven Academic Training: choose a skill between Arcana, History, Nature or Religion. You are proficient with that skill.

Half-Elves: Natural Linguist: Learn 2 extra languages

Dwarves: Well Oiled Machine: As recommended above

Half-Orc: your Relentless Endurance trait may be used twice* per day rather than once (but no more than once in the same encounter)

Gnome: Quickdraw Holster: As recommended above

Tieflings keep their Darkvision, as do Drow Elves

* (would "per short rest" be pushing it?)

DragonSorcererX
2017-01-09, 05:22 PM
Dragonborn - ... oh wait! They don't have. :smallmad:

Ruslan
2017-01-09, 05:34 PM
Dragonborn - ... oh wait! They don't have. :smallmad:

Which is an interesting point, I was actually considered letting Dragonborn have it. After all, they are literrally born of Dragons, who all have not only Darkvision but even Blindsight.

Herobizkit
2017-01-11, 06:03 AM
Check out Pathfinder's online SRD and see what they suggest for races who choose to trade off Darkvision.

Example:

Surface Survivalist: Some dwarves have dwelt so long above ground they have lost their ability to see at night. However, their adaptation to extreme environments allows them to treat wind conditions (when determining whether or not they are checked or blown away) and either hot or cold climates (choose one) as one step less severe. This racial trait replaces darkvision.

In 5e's case, give the Dwarf Hot or Cold climate adaptation.

Personally, I'd love a world with no darkvision, but then we'd have all humans (and halflings and dragonborn) and who wants that?

Tanarii
2017-01-11, 10:45 AM
Fixed those for ya! Anyways, besides my OCD/nitpicking, I really like these! Good job!
To nitpick, technically you broke them.

There's no such thing as a surprise round, so the half-Orc irritable was already broken. But when you are surprised, you can't take reactions, so making it require one breaks it. Whether it's an OA or a reaction.

And 5e doesn't have free actions so adding it to the gnomes quid draw holster makes it a unusable ability. It's either not an action (per the original) or an object interaction (which the feature appears to be trying to work around).

Fishyninja
2017-01-11, 04:12 PM
So, after much consideration, here's what I came up with:

Elves (non-Drow): Elven Academic Training: choose a skill between Arcana, History, Nature or Religion. You are proficient with that skill.

Half-Elves: Natural Linguist: Learn 2 extra languages

Dwarves: Well Oiled Machine: As recommended above

Half-Orc: your Relentless Endurance trait may be used twice* per day rather than once (but no more than once in the same encounter)

Gnome: Quickdraw Holster: As recommended above

Tieflings keep their Darkvision, as do Drow Elves

* (would "per short rest" be pushing it?)

I think this is a really well rounded list with some good alternatives there. I'd be interested in using these if I ever DM a game. Would you mind if I utilised this?

Check out Pathfinder's online SRD and see what they suggest for races who choose to trade off Darkvision.

Example:

Surface Survivalist: Some dwarves have dwelt so long above ground they have lost their ability to see at night. However, their adaptation to extreme environments allows them to treat wind conditions (when determining whether or not they are checked or blown away) and either hot or cold climates (choose one) as one step less severe. This racial trait replaces darkvision.

In 5e's case, give the Dwarf Hot or Cold climate adaptation.

Personally, I'd love a world with no darkvision, but then we'd have all humans (and halflings and dragonborn) and who wants that?

This is also a really good idea.

Hrugner
2017-01-11, 04:50 PM
I think this is a really well rounded list with some good alternatives there. I'd be interested in using these if I ever DM a game. Would you mind if I utilised this?

Go for it. Let me know how it plays.

Fishyninja
2017-01-11, 04:53 PM
Go for it. Let me know how it plays.

It'll be a while before I DM, still havent finished a campaign yet, but I'll keep you posted.